Looks to me like we're heading to The Big 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looks to me like we're heading to The Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
You could get me to believe Missouri, Rutgers, UConn and Notre Dame as a package deal but that's about it outside of Texas.

Missouri and Texas could be off the board this week.

If its down to Rutgers UConn and ND for 13/14 which 2 go? We know that answer. If UConn was considered as 15th where is the 16th team after the Big-12 teams commit? Fugly stuff I'm afraid. Find me a credible rumor from the BiG.

Reaction Score
You could get me to believe Missouri, Rutgers, UConn and Notre Dame as a package deal but that's about it outside of Texas.

Missouri and Texas could be off the board this week.

If its down to Rutgers UConn and ND for 13/14 which 2 go? We know that answer. If UConn was considered as 15th where is the 16th team after the Big-12 teams commit? Fugly stuff I'm afraid. Find me a credible rumor from the BiG.

I think the Big10 doesn't go to 16 at all. I think it stays at 14 in such a situation. BUT, I'm feeling WV to SEC, which means that Kansas and Missouri are left without a home. if the B10 needed a 16th, they could certainly go that route.

Reaction Score
I think the Big10 doesn't go to 16 at all. I think it stays at 14 in such a situation. BUT, I'm feeling WV to SEC, which means that Kansas and Missouri are left without a home. if the B10 needed a 16th, they could certainly go that route.

Does Kansas have the political ability to jettison KState? If not, B10 is not going to happen and they need to pray for SEC if Texas and TT are to the PAC 16

Reaction Score
Does Kansas have the political ability to jettison KState? If not, B10 is not going to happen and they need to pray for SEC if Texas and TT are to the PAC 16

Well, yes of course they do. If they're outside the BCS structure, what choice is there?

Reaction Score
While I'm certainly subject to eating crow, I think the Huskies are headed to the Big Ten. A careful reading of Susan Herbst's comment leads me to think we're talking to the Big Ten more than is being discussed. She overly stressed the academics (read getting to the AAU) and she is clearly the person driving the UConn bus. Her strongly held values clearly mesh with the B!0. Add with her prior contacts there and the support from former UConn Pres Hogan at Illinois, the conference (I believe) is warming to the idea.
The Big Ten's desire to expand their network always envisioned a "New York/New England" presence. Now, with the ACC having taken Pitt and Syr (and BC), the B10 will need to quickly revisit UConn (and Rutgers).
What's clear more than ever is that Herbst is the strongest leader UConn has ever had. Unlike in the past, our decision won't be based on cronyism or coaches desires to keep the old rivalries alive. There will be lots of challenges of course, and concessions. For example, Pres Herbst will have to commit to expand the stadium. But, with greater funds from the B10 affiliation and an administration raising the bar on promoting the program, I forsee a much more active campaign to make UConn football a "must see" destination event for fans. And, of course, visiting teams from Michigan, Ohio St, Nebraska, Penn St and Wisconsin just might help a little.
The ACC also has its benefits, but I'm simply not as sure it matches Herbst's vision of where UConn should be hanging its hat.

Wishful thinking, nothing more. Pass the bottle.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC is the likely destination. Given the news that various coaches, Presidents and ADs would welcome two more, it's almost certain that the ACC is not finished. The B1G wants brand names. Not too many of those left.

Reaction Score
Herbst isn't just talking to The ACC. In fact, the more public all this "UConn to the ACC" buzz becomes, the more the BIG 10 appears to be the place we'll end up.

Reaction Score
if the Big 10 took RU and UConn they would effectively make NYC a B10 market which would make Big Ten network more valuable.

The football product would remain strong,and they would improve the B10 basketball product by adding UConn. That would make their basketball product more valuable.

From a dollars and media perspective, this would be a great move for the B10. They would in fact, have snatched NYC from the ACC.

But I think the move only really works if you take both Rutgers and UConn.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
First proposal: ND, UConn, RU and Mizzou. If ND still balks, then second proposal: UConn, RU, Kansas and Mizzou.

I'm sure Mrs. Herbst is burning up the phones as we speak...

Reaction Score
B10 will always leave a spot open for ND, even if it means they stay at 14.

Reaction Score
I believe that the fundamental philosophy that led to the formation of the big east conference, has basically held up the formation of an all sports conference playing football at the top level of intercollegiate competition for 30 years, and that time, is now clearly over.

The only thing that remains to be seen is how it plays out, and where we fit in. THAT we fit in, in my mind, is beyond a doubt. We have the northeast market in NYC, CT, and Boston in the major money making sports, and we are ALSO - more improtantly - a top academic institution in the country in research funding.

The only real choice we have to make is if we want to try to spear head something really radical or play nicely with others.

I personally, would rather be part of the state institution system that is mostly the Big 10, and have the Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio States, Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn States of the world to compete with than the schools of Tobacco Road.

It's a shame that Syracuse and Pitt and BC don't seem to want to make up an eastern part of something like that - but they aren't of the same fold - theyr'e not land grand colleges.

It's a better fit all around. We've done the private school alliance for 30 years.

That's just my two cents.

Reaction Score
Good to see that Carl and Palatine understand the dynamic playing out here. It's a no brainer for the Big 10 to capture NY/NE with Rutgers and UConn. And I believe Herbst would much rather join the large state schools and academic prominence of the Big 10. And here's the most important thing to remember. Whatever Susan wants, Susan gets. Book UConn into the Big 10. All the ACC talk is just noise to distract the inquisitive media.

Reaction Score
A move to the Big 10 would pretty much guarantee that we will never sniff another BCS Bowl ever again. Just way too many traditional powerhouses to overcome...my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Reaction Score
A move to the Big 10 would pretty much guarantee that we will never sniff another BCS Bowl ever again. Just way too many traditional powerhouses to overcome...my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Iowa has less talent in its neighborhood than UConn. The problem, of course, is that Iowa does have a lot of fans and a stadium.

Reaction Score
Has there ever been any rumor at all of the B1G even being remotely interested in us?

Reaction Score
Has there ever been any rumor at all of the B1G even being remotely interested in us?

Some guy in an article last year.

Also, the former UConn president is now the prez at Illinois, and apparently said he would vote UConn in somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom