Looks like McCallie is staying... | The Boneyard

Looks like McCallie is staying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
how many years before they decide not to renew her contract ?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think it's up in two years? Maybe three?

I think it must have been very expensive to fire her without cause, which is all I'll say.

Reaction Score
The Durham Herald-Sun's Steve Wiseman reported later Sunday night that four-time All-American center Elizabeth Williams—who was on the team from 2011-2015—said she was one of the players interviewed as part of the investigation. A WNBA player, Williams reportedly wrote a letter to administrators last year expressing concerns about the program.

Wiseman reported that Williams' letter was one of many and that concerns about the program also were raised during exit interviews with administrators. Williams reportedly said no mistreatment was physical or criminal in nature but described the program's atmosphere with McCallie at the helm as negative.

Duke women's basketball head coach Joanne McCallie remains following program investigation

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
disappointed-dad-o.gif

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
but described the program's atmosphere with McCallie at the helm as negative.

It is absolutely clear to anyone not blind, deaf, or dumb that the program is incompetently led...or worse.
One might expect the standard for JPM's retention to be somewhat higher than that her actions did not raise to the threshold of criminality.

The administration's investigation and conclusion is pathetic.
A much more forceful response was required and expected from such an esteemed university.
It seems as if some sort of virus or plague is descending on woman's BB programs throughout the state. :)

Reaction Score
Just another example of how the bar is not that high for quality of coaches in WCBB...... In this case it is investigation..... but in many other cases it is pure quality of coaching ability....

Here you have a school which is such a good natural draw like Duke..... why not raid the men's game and pluck a top assistant to bring to your program..... that is just me

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
It sounds as though they could not find enough evidence to fire her with cause - and get out of paying her contract. So she stays and they hope she can do better. Gives her a couple of years to turn things around and doesn't cost them several million in a contract buyout.

Certainly not a ringing endorsement of her as a coach. Sounded more like subdued, "We're keeping her for now."

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
It sounds as though they could not find enough evidence to fire her with cause - and get out of paying her contract. So she stays and they hope she can do better. Gives her a couple of years to turn things around and doesn't cost them several million in a contract buyout.

Certainly not a ringing endorsement of her as a coach. Sounded more like subdued, "We're keeping her for now."
Yup: Money 1, Duke WBB 0

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It is absolutely clear to anyone not blind, deaf, or dumb that the program is incompetently led...or worse.
One might expect the standard for JPM's retention to be somewhat higher than that her actions did not raise to the threshold of criminality.

The administration's investigation and conclusion is pathetic.
A much more forceful response was required and expected from such an esteemed university.
It seems as if some sort of virus or plague is descending on woman's BB programs throughout the state. :)

Seems like your last sentence was written with a little bit of joy. Since I'm just a guest... I'll be nice.

JS

Reaction Score
RESOLUTIONS

In Consequence of

PRO FORMA INQUIRY

WHEREAS, Duke head women’s basketball coach Joanne P. McCallie (“Coach P”) has participated in that certain Pro Forma Inquiry (“PFI”) conducted by Duke Athletic Director Kevin White; and

WHEREAS, the PFI, being a PFI and with the active input and guidance of Coach P, has found no wrongdoing on the part of Coach P; and

WHEREAS, such absence of wrongdoing may, in view of contractual considerations, suffice to enable job continuation in lieu of a vote of confidence; and

WHEREAS, platitudes;

NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the foregoing and the overall hunky-dory and outstanding etc. etc.;

BE IT RESOLVED, that Coach P will continue to serve, if service it may be, as Duke head women’s basketball coach; and be it further

RESOLVED, that, in furtherance of the continued improvement on excellence etc. and so forth;

1. Coach P will pay attention to her job when not golfing or otherwise engaged in more interesting activities;

2. Coach P will throw her players under the bus only as necessary for their failure to guard opposing players such as Number 10 or Number 3;

3. Coach P will take the PFI as a lesson learned;

4. Coach P will vary her post-game statements, as a courtesy to her tormented listeners, to include occasional departures from, or variations on, the phrase “lessons learned;”

5. Coach P, if not inclined to intervene, will at least refrain from yelling Fight!! Fight!! during exercises in team chemistry; and

6. Coach P will discourage her ample supply of former high school All Americans from participating in USA Basketball, if all they’re going to do is get actual coaching and come back to Duke as troublemakers.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned have duly executed these resolutions in lieu of executing the coach, at least for now.

/ss:/

KW

Coach P

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

And the fact that this was released in the middle of a May weekend reminds me of corporations releasing negative news after the stock market's 4 p.m. closing on a Friday afternoon.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I love that she learned some lessons from all this. So apropos.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not very closely related, but I was surprised (when I attended the Sun's exhibition game against San Antonio last week) to find that Haley Peters (a Duke alum) was on the San Antonio roster (at least at that time) trying to make the team. I am not so sure that she will. I wonder whether she was one of those contacted during the "PFI", and if so, what she had to say.

I remember that she was one of those who was made available to the press after Duke lost at home to UConn in the game where KML scored 21 points by going 7-11 from the 3-point line. Someone asked why they didn't guard KML more tightly, and (when no one else wanted to answer the question) she said, "We knew that 23 was a good shooter, but ...".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's disappointing, very disappointing. Her indifferent coaching abilities and abrasive, grating, shall I say "low class" behavior should have had her walking before now. We know she has never "learned from it" and the question for me is will we see worse and will she be even worse behind closed doors. The question to ask each potential recruit is "is the lure of the Duke diploma worth the promised mediocrity, at best, of the sport you love?"

Reaction Score
It's disappointing, very disappointing. Her indifferent coaching abilities and abrasive, grating, shall I say "low class" behavior should have had her walking before now. We know she has never "learned from it" and the question for me is will we see worse and will she be even worse behind closed doors. The question to ask each potential recruit is "is the lure of the Duke diploma worth the promised mediocrity, at best, of the sport you love?"
The sad fact is, societal norms have change, characterizing anything as "low class" seems unacceptable, intolerant, and frankly, something today's press and audience find repulsive (unless, of course, it has an adverse affect on one of their loved ones). But, you're exactly right. Aren't leaders (coaches), first and foremost, supposed to lead by example? While coaching can be demanding, JPM seems to ignore the the old Lombardi adage, "praise in public, and criticize in private" practice. Not a good recipe for team building.

Reaction Score
They were 20-12 overall and 8-8 league last year. Would something like 12-20 and 4-12 this coming year change the ad's mind reulting in paying off/buying out the remaining years of her contract?

Reaction Score
Hardly a glowing endorsement. The main reason to not make a change is because of $ and because it's late in the hiring season. She's got a very short timeline to turn things around or she'll be gone.

Reaction Score
Hardly a glowing endorsement. The main reason to not make a change is because of $ and because it's late in the hiring season. She's got a very short timeline to turn things around or she'll be gone.

so will most of the team

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really am not surprised - the W/L record is really very good - similar to the TN record under Holly or KY under Mitchell - the team issues haven't risen to the level of 'problem' behavior and $2M +/- is a lot of money to throw away on a buy out that then still requires the hiring of another coach. I don't think any of them will get another extension until such time as the program displays stability and improvement - they are all on notice, and another bad year might well see them dismissed - the money would be halved on the buyout which would also play a role in making a dismissal more palatable.

Reaction Score
The money can't really be a major issue: a school as wealthy as Duke is going to weigh the financial cost of buying her out vs. the potential liabilities (financial and also publicity) if they keep her and things really blow up (and blow up for a new president, since Brodhead is stepping down). We are all guessing, of course. My guess is that the human resource investigation (and these folks are not sentimental) revealed that she was very tough on her players--perhaps exceptionally so--but that she understands the problem and has agreed to some quiet mentoring/guidance going forward. If that was HR's recommendation (I'm completely guessing here), it sort of hamstrings the AD, since then he would certainly be firing without cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom