Looks like GDL will stick around | The Boneyard

Looks like GDL will stick around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly what I anticipated. Was hoping for Tight ends, but at least someone else is calling the plays.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
What wonderful duck*ing news

<------ Just when I was ready to remove this user pic, he brings me back in

Reaction Score
Anyone know the semantic difference between assistant and associate head coach? Does this mean he's still superior to the OC? Good crap it's p's cuse shell game all over again!

Reaction Score
Not sure what "move to the offensive line" means. First, wasn't he already coaching them? Second, is "move to" a soft way to say "no longer the offensive coordinator'. If that's the case it's being couched as a lateral move when the rest of the real world might say "George DeLeone has been replaced as offensive coordinator, but will still coach the line with the new title of assistant head coach

it's actually kind of funny the Sunshine Boys think they're pulling a fast one on everybody. "No, Warde, George won't REALLY call the plays".

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/syracuse-2004-uconn-2013.29492/

Just like 9 years ago. . . .

* George DeLeone was relieved of his duties as offensive coordinator but retained his job as offensive line coach and associate head coach. He will still relay plays to Pasqualoni from the control booth. *

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is God awful news. GDL has to be fired. Period. If he's anywhere near the team, he will crush it.

Hypothetical question: if we hire TJ Weist as OC and, God forbids, he calls for a play action pass on 1st down, would GDL (acting as Associate Head Coach) have the ability to override this?? I have no confidence whatsoever that GDL is not going to be involved in play calling or our offense in general in 2013. His zone blocking schemes suck and have turned a once strength of our football program into an absolutely weakness. We can no longer run the football but insist on trying to do it on every 1st and 2nd downs.

What this essentially means is that if UConn fans like conservative football, we ain't see nuttin' yet! Get ready for punting on 3rd down, taking a knee in the offensive red zone (or punt), and burning through all 3 timeouts in the first 5 minutes of each half.

GDL HAS TO GO. This is Syracuse all over again. Absolutely horrendous news, especially on the heels of the jubilation felt when he "was leaving to go to the Giants".

Reaction Score
Well if they are he'll bent on repeating history they did tie for best record in big east, got to a bowl game, then he lost his job

Reaction Score
Here is the job description of a Associate head coach from another BCS Football program on the East Coast:

JOB TITLE DEFINITION:
The Associate Head Coach is critically involved in all aspects of the program, is given specific autonomy, and shares responsibilities with the Head Coach in key areas of the program such as recruiting, coaching tactics/strategies, budget management, staff oversight, etc.; the Associate Head Coach has significant responsibility in the following areas, but not limited to: mentoring assistant coach(es); scheduling and team travel; promotion of the team and University; fundraising and alumni events; practice planning; equipment purchase/inventory; and professional development; may share responsibility with the Head Coach in establishment/enforcement of team rules, community service efforts, etc.; represents the Head Coach at meetings, fund-raising functions, and alumni events; adheres to University, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations while supporting the core values of intercollegiate athletics.
Duties are performed at various levels within the defined title.

Reaction Score
This does not strike me as good. First, the fact that GDL, as opposed to Foley, is coaching the OL is a joke. Second, all I can tell you is that when Hank Hughes was Associate Head Coach for Defense under FHCRE and Todd Orlando was the DC, from everything I understood Orlando called the plays but, ultimately, the strategy was that of Hughes and Hughes outranked Orlando. Having GDL in anything -- anything -- other than a figurehead position is a roadmap for disaster, especially if that is who P believes knows more about Offense than anyone and someone else only has the OC title, and playcalling responsibilities, to please Warde.

If this is what is happening, it almost guaranties that next year will be a disaster, and that no one will be here in January of '14 (unless the new coach happens to want Foley to go back to the OL).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
odds on him being in the booth vs on the field next year?

odds of uconn growing balls and claning frucking house in this ad this summer?

as usual, warde does a great job fixing the issue. all is well. 12-0 next year vs our fcs schedule will be a breeze!! rainbows and shaved !!!!!

Reaction Score
Well maybe if he focuses on the o line and nothing else we wil be ok. Really he was commended by a player for helping tight ends I don't understand why he just doesn't get moves to tight end coach

Reaction Score
"those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

Terrible news. IF this is true, Weist will effectively be duck-taped and thrown into a closet in terms of leaving his imprint on the offense. GDL and his adult diapers will still be pulling the strings here.

Reaction Score
This does not strike me as good. First, the fact that GDL, as opposed to Foley, is coaching the OL is a joke. Second, all I can tell you is that when Hank Hughes was Associate Head Coach for Defense under FHCRE and Todd Orlando was the DC, from everything I understood Orlando called the plays but, ultimately, the strategy was that of Hughes and Hughes outranked Orlando. Having GDL in anything -- anything -- other than a figurehead position is a roadmap for disaster, especially if that is who P believes knows more about Offense than anyone and someone else only has the OC title, and playcalling responsibilities, to please Warde.

If this is what is happening, it almost guaranties that next year will be a disaster, and that no one will be here in January of '14 (unless the new coach happens to want Foley to go back to the OL).

You just described, to the tee, my biggest fear. Nepotism got P fired once. Can't change the spots on the old dog I guess......

Reaction Score
Look ... he's buds for 40 years with Pasqualoni. If he is on the staff, he is going to have a substantive voice. I don't care what his title is. I don't think he is good for the Program. Both he & PP should be gone after what we are watching.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not sure what "move to the offensive line" means. First, wasn't he already coaching them? Second, is "move to" a soft way to say "no longer the offensive coordinator'. If that's the case it's being couched as a lateral move when the rest of the real world might say "George DeLeone has been replaced as offensive coordinator, but will still coach the line with the new title of assistant head coach

it's actually kind of funny the Sunshine Boys think they're pulling a fast one on everybody. "No, Warde, George won't REALLY call the plays".

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/syracuse-2004-uconn-2013.29492/

Just like 9 years ago. . . .

* George DeLeone was relieved of his duties as offensive coordinator but retained his job as offensive line coach and associate head coach. He will still relay plays to Pasqualoni from the control booth. *

Ugh... I want to vomit. So... Who in the media will be the one to say "This arrangement was tried in your years at Syracuse and it did not end well. Why do you expect a different outcome this time?"

Reaction Score
Meh, if he's not playing the calls anymore I'll consider this a net positive. At this point, I'll take whatever limited good news I can get.

Reaction Score
Look ... he's buds for 40 years with Pasqualoni. If he is on the staff, he is going to have a substantive voice. I don't care what his title is. I don't think he is good for the Program. Both he & PP should be gone after what we are watching.
Yep. And odds are they will be. P seems like a decent man but his blood oath with Dele one is strange UNLESS, he is just getting some extra coin for him and his buddy before they retire. That is insulting to insinuate but the only thing that makes sense at this point. He can no longer BELIEVE Dele one is effective at what he does. He just can't.

Reaction Score
Last year, GDL had too much responsibility on his plate and he failed miserably. Although I would prefer that he was gone, focusing on one position may be better. I would assume that the new OC will design the offense including the OL blocking schemes.

Reaction Score
Last year, GDL had too much responsibility on his plate and he failed miserably. Although I would prefer that he was gone, focusing on one position may be better. I would assume that the new OC will design the offense including the OL blocking schemes.

That's a bold assumption considering their history.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Meh, if he's not playing the calls anymore I'll consider this a net positive. At this point, I'll take whatever limited good news I can get.
I wish I could share your optimism. If you can point to any one thing in terms of where UConn got worse from the Edsall to the PP eras, it's the OL and the failed transition to zone blocking. Maaaaaybe you could say it showed some signs of improving in the last half of the 2012 season, but that's coming from a really low floor. As long as GDL is going to have any coaching resposibilities on the OL I fear it won't matter that somebody else is calling the plays.

This sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer