Looking Ahead | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking Ahead

Reaction Score
Season stats are one statistic. Let’s look into the individual matchups ONO had against Cox and Boston instead for a more accurate comparison.

ONO vs Cox
ONO: 0pts (0-8), 6reb (2-4), 1ast, 1TO, 1blk, 1stl 3pf
Cox*: 16pts (6-15), 6reb (1-5), 4ast, 2TO, 4blk, 1stl, 2pf

*I believe this was only her second or third game back after her foot injury

ONO vs Boston
ONO: 10pts (5-12), 9reb (7-2), 4ast, 3TO, 3blk, 1stl, 5pf
Boston: 13pts (6-14), 12reb (6-6), 1ast, 2TO, 2blk, 3stl, 1pf

In both cases she was outscored by the opposing post player—a player returning from injury and a freshman. In the Oregon game, Ruthy Hebard had 22pts (10-14) to ONO’s 8pts (4-5). She was also outrebounded 12 (for Hebard; 2-10) to 6 (for ONO; 1-5). The Oregon game was the best barometer against a quality, experienced, in-shape post player. Now obviously Oregon was a machine last year Ionescu and Sabally so that has to be taken into account. But my point still stands. ONO struggled OFFENSIVELY against similarly sized post players. By no means were Cox and Boston head and shoulders ahead of ONO, but she needs to be more dominant on the offensive end.

ONO got thoroughly outplayed in her matchup with Cox, nobody can argue otherwise. In her matchup vs Boston both of them put up very similar stat lines. I'm not sure why you mentioned the Oregon game, because ONO guarded Sabally and not Hebard for the majority of that game. I do agree ONO does need to become more consistent.

Reaction Score
You are correct it not fair or accurate because you forgot to include Smith of Baylor's 20 points and 12 rebounds in the stats.

Those are season averages, not individual game numbers. I also didn't include any of the other 5,202 D1 women's basketball players, what is your point?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Those are season averages, not individual game numbers. I also didn't include any of the other 5,202 D1 women's basketball players, what is your point?
Q: What is your point?
ONO got thoroughly outplayed in her matchup with Cox, nobody can argue otherwise. In her matchup vs Boston both of them put up very similar stat lines. I'm not sure why you mentioned the Oregon game, because ONO guarded Sabally and not Hebard for the majority of that game. I do agree ONO does need to become more consistent.
Mainly reinforcing your points highlighted above. Cox, Boston, Hebard and Sabally are AA caliber type players and there is no shame in ONO struggling against those players. However ONO was a spectator when Smith of Baylor was ripping UCONN apart at the seams and ONO should not be struggling against a TN front line as she did for1st half of that game.

Reaction Score
It was a comparison of post players. I wouldn’t consider Sabally the same position/skill set as ONO, but I do see your point about it being a bad comparison of in-game matchups. But yes, we need consistent dominance from ONO. We know she can do it. I want to see it in the big games this year so we can be agreeing on how well she dominated the competition this season!

Reaction Score
I long for the early 20 teens when our race horses would come out of the gate and run up a 30 pt lead on everyone by half time. Then the second half would be a heavy dose of the stars of tomorrow working out their game while the racehorses do their cool down.
Couldn’t agree more. I miss when it was UConn and everyone else with only the occasionally challenging game. Then again that was the “bad for basketball” days so I guess we have to accept basketball is better [for everyone else] these days :D

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Q: On what planet is ONO "not a natural post"?
A: All the ones in this solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.
ONO needs more mass to be considered a natural post and many have been pointing to the importance of the weight room for her development since before she committed to UCONN.
Q: Also, when did ONO have difficulty defending size?
A: As a Freshman it was against Baylor, Louisville (2X).
As a sophomore it was against Baylor, Oregon & most depressingly the first half against TN.
I hate that Pluto has been demoted.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I wasn't going to post about this....
couldn't get a handle on what was nagging at me
And One's analysis of our team's individual strengths is reasonable.

The problem for me is: Team aspect is missing, his examination is all about individuals...and methinks that Geno might well have a plan in which team play very much trumps (sorry for using that word) individual talent...
Not that the individual talent is lacking.

The other thing...completely unsaid...is that especially at guard and wing.
Geno has lots of options despite a largish group of relative unknowns...
(Unknown to us, but less and less to him.)

So if some one player or another falters or underachieves, coach can make personnel adjustments from among his rich cache of youngsters...that in many respects have considerable experience functioning at the next level...hardly your typical wide-eyed initiates.

Actually, I don't envision that happening...rather, I contemplate the kiddie-corps pushing the vets to greater glory...but as I said...Geno has options.

I hate to sound like our esteemed colleague Tony C
But I am totally optimistic about the prospects for this group.
And look forward to a return of beautiful BB, as only Geno, Pop and the
long gone 2 Red's envisioned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

The problem for me is: Team aspect is missing, his examination is all about individuals...and methinks that Geno might well have a plan in which team play very much trumps (sorry for using that word) individual talent...

So if some one player or another falters or underachieves, coach can make personnel adjustments from among his rich cache of youngsters...that in many respects have considerable experience functioning at the next level...hardly your typical wide-eyed initiates.

Actually, I don't envision that happening...rather, I contemplate the kiddie-corps pushing the vets to greater glory...but as I said...Geno has options.

That is both a fair and salient point. While we tend to be obsessed with individual assessments of strengths and weakness Geno TEAMS have always been greater than the sum of the individual parts. Team success at UCONN (especially championships) however. has always been fueled by individual improvement: Charles Faris, Jefferson, Stokes, Dolson, KML, Tuck, The GOAT and Stewie. I also agree with you about Geno having "options" especially as it relates to the Wing/Guard rotation. UCONN has been without a reliable 3rd guard to be part of the regular rotation since Saniya Chong graduated.

Reaction Score
Just a thought but, how about we all wait and see how they all play (returners and freshmen) before we pick apart their game? The past is the past and has no bearing on how they will play this year!!! Some players grow up others learn the system, I believe this will be a great year for all!!

Reaction Score
Player A: 13pts, 8rbs, 2.7blks

Player B: 11pts, 9rbs, 3.1blks

Player C: 13pts, 9rbs, 2.6blks

Player A is Cox, Player B is ONO, and Player C is Boston. They all had very similar stats, but Boston and Cox are viewed as being head and shoulders better than ONO, I just don't think that is fair or accurate.
A more interesting stat would be when they played each other and that is where Liv struggled in my mind.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just a thought but, how about we all wait and see how they all play (returners and freshmen) before we pick apart their game? The past is the past and has no bearing on how they will play this year!!! Some players grow up others learn the system, I believe this will be a great year for all!!
Just a counter thought. Two of the players being, to use your words, picked apart are about to enter their junior seasons. While many of us were willing to wait and see when they were incoming freshmen, we also anticipated improvement as sophomore and did not see it. BTW both of those players have acknowledge the need to improve. One of the players stated that last season was her worst year of basketball ever and reached her low point of confidence in playing the sport.

Reaction Score
I would venture to say she’s more of a face-up post player than a bang-inside post player similar to Breanna Stewart early on. She did have some difficulty handling Lauren Cox and I think her lack of bulk made it difficult for her to push opposing post players off the block, but if anything I’d say she had more difficulty offensively against similar size than defending against them. That’s pretty much a part of every post player’s transition from high school where they’re typically the tallest player by a significant margin to the college level where other post players are bigger, stronger, and more experienced. Just my two cents on the topic.

I don't see the Stewart comparison in terms of offense at all.

Reaction Score

I never understood this type of post you and others have made when this type of topic comes up. We're just having fun of discussing "what if's." What's the big deal? It's a discussion board. No one is "tearing apart" a player.

Reaction Score
I’m not a big fan of pressing 40 minute type of teams. Though it’s exciting to think. Give me an amazing execution run offense while pushing pace as they have always done over press press press. And I don't think you can "wear down" the elite teams. They are also fit and well coached. And when you try to full court press the elite teams - and if they make you pay when your superstars (if any emerge for UCONN this year) are on the bench which costs you the game- it's a bad blunder. IMO as a coach you want to force the other team to beat your stars - not your bench.

And imo this team WILL HAVE stars. I’m very psyched this year to see who emerges as potential “put the jersey on the Wall” A/A’s or even if not that - just watching improvements and great play in which some will emerge as A/A caliber. For example, I'd be very surprised of Liv is not at least 3rd team A/A.

I'll also be surprised - but not as much as Liv-- if none of Evina, Paige, CWill and AMak make A/A. I say that because I expect them to beat most of the elite teams. Thus at least one of the guards/wings I expect to be A/A (but definitely not all and no way UCONN can get 4 overall.).

I’m really psyched to watch this team. Nov 28th can't come soon enough.
Could not agree more, Hoophuskee. I can't recall the last time I've been as excited for the season opener. I just have this feeling that all the ingredients are going to jell and we are going to see some great BB.

Reaction Score
Maybe? That's your take on this year's team? Maybe you should get your glasses cleaned and take another look at the team. I see a lot more promise in this year's roster than you.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Pluto misbehaved and was punished for it...that's life..
In a way that is an unfair assessment. I mean he was the god of the underworld. The main man of Hades the place. It was more or less his job to "misbehave". And technically, it was the afterlife! ;)

Reaction Score

Team chemistry was not factored in because unlike Carnac I lack a decent chrystal ball. No doubt how well the team meshes is more important than any single player. At this point, with this team, I just don't know what that x factor will be.

Reaction Score
We could all chill until the games begin (or the season is over?) but this site would be mighty quiet excepting discussion of songs and food we like or hate. Songs and food are fine and fun but not really the point of the site. Sports fans prognosticate, dissect, analyze and even over analyze on occasion. We disagree all the time. And enjoy the heck out of it. Go with the flow!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Huh?
Planet mnemonic for Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto:
"Men Very Easily Make Jugs Serve Useful Needs, Perhaps"
"My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas".

Reaction Score
I don't see the Stewart comparison in terms of offense at all.
Not saying they’re offensively the same or that they have the same skill set. I’m comparing their “post” styles. Neither was a true back-to-the-basket post player upon arriving in Storrs. Could they post up? Yes. Was it their preferred method? Sure didn’t seem like it early on. But Stewart developed that part of her game and ONO is as well. Again, not saying ONO is anywhere near where Stewart was offensively, just saying that they both had a tendency to take a jump shot over mixing it up inside early on in their college careers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom