Looking Ahead | The Boneyard

Looking Ahead

Reaction Score
Some years Uconn goes into a season with junior and senior starters that are known to be very good. Other years, including last year, there are no players we know will be very good. There are always some players that show great promise of being very good but still have to prove it on the court. This is one of those years.

There are only five players we have seen play in a Uconn uniform and all have some question marks:

Ono: She will be good, but as to how good is a question. She isn’t a natural post player and can’t be expected to compete well in the paint against skilled big bodies. That will be ok as there aren’t that many skilled big players at the college level; if she can hold her own (at the least) against the run of the mill post players and use her speed and length to score away from the basket when matchups dictate she’ll do fine. Is she at a level to be an AA? Maybe.

Makurat: She’s the most known quantity on the team. She can hit threes, make the good pass, get some rebounds and stay calm. Ideally you’d like her to be the solid player that compliments a roster with a couple of really big time players. Will she reach AA level? Maybe.

Williams: Promising first year, lost during her second year. She has a lot of talent but must prove this year that she can create her own shots and shot a high percentage. Will she reach AA level? Maybe.

Westbrook: She has played at a high level at Tennessee and may be able to do that for Uconn. Whether or not her injury will affect her game this year is unknown. Also unknown is whether she can execute Geno’s game plans as well as a player who has a year or two doing that. She could easily be the best player on the team this year. Will she reach AA level? Maybe.

Griffin: She showed great promise last year in non-starter minutes. She could have a real breakout year or she could still be at the "a few good plays and a few bad plays" stage. She could be consistently really good on defense, get and make her put backs and shoot well enough to demand defensive attention this year or she may need another year to get there. Will she reach AA level? Doubtful this year, but her upside is huge so who knows?

The freshmen: By definition, who knows? Paige is bound to be good; how good and how fast is unknown. Few players are dominant their freshman year, but it will be interesting to see if she can be really good right out of the gate. It wouldn’t surprise me if she can do that. Edwards will get her minutes and take what she learns this year to up her game next year. Nika and Mir are wild cards; one or both may turn out to be very good players. Whether that will be apparent this year is as yet unknown. That leaves Gabriel and Chassion and we have no reason to expect either to be a major contributor this year.

This is the kind of roster the coaching staff will need to get a feel for in actual games to decide how they best mesh, hoping that by mid-season they know where they are at.

Every year Uconn is good enough to win their in-conference games. Every year we have a handful of out of conference games that make the difference between a good season and a great season. This year will be no different. Last year our big time out of conference games didn’t go very well. This year we face four pre-season top six teams in Miss St, Louisville, South Carolina and Baylor, with a potential of adding Maryland. Two of those make or break games are very early in the season, with Miss St on Nov 29 and Louisville on Dec 4th. It will be very interesting to see how Geno game plans for those early challenges and how well the players can respond.

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers was ready for college ball at least two years ago.......I expect her to compete at the highest level after she gets her feet wet..........if and when she starts and her accurate passes are rewarded with baskets she will break all the UConn freshman assist and foul shooting records and will be under consideration as an AA..........just my prediction......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some years Uconn goes into a season with junior and senior starters that are known to be very good. Other years, including last year, there are no players we know will be very good. There are always some players that show great promise of being very good but still have to prove it on the court. This is one of those years.

There are only five players we have seen play in a Uconn uniform and all have some question marks:

Ono: She will be good, but as to how good is a question. She isn’t a natural post player and can’t be expected to compete well in the paint against skilled big bodies. That will be ok as there aren’t that many skilled big players at the college level; if she can hold her own (at the least) against the run of the mill post players and use her speed and length to score away from the basket when matchups dictate she’ll do fine. Is she at a level to be an AA? Maybe.

Makurat: She’s the most known quantity on the team. She can hit threes, make the good pass, get some rebounds and stay calm. Ideally you’d like her to be the solid player that compliments a roster with a couple of really big time players. Will she reach AA level? Maybe.

Williams: Promising first year, lost during her second year. She has a lot of talent but must prove this year that she can create her own shots and shot a high percentage. Will she reach AA level? Maybe.

Westbrook: She has played at a high level at Tennessee and may be able to do that for Uconn. Whether or not her injury will affect her game this year is unknown. Also unknown is whether she can execute Geno’s game plans as well as a player who has a year or two doing that. She could easily be the best player on the team this year. Will she reach AA level? Maybe.

Griffin: She showed great promise last year in non-starter minutes. She could have a real breakout year or she could still be at the "a few good plays and a few bad plays" stage. She could be consistently really good on defense, get and make her put backs and shoot well enough to demand defensive attention this year or she may need another year to get there. Will she reach AA level? Doubtful this year, but her upside is huge so who knows?

The freshmen: By definition, who knows? Paige is bound to be good; how good and how fast is unknown. Few players are dominant their freshman year, but it will be interesting to see if she can be really good right out of the gate. It wouldn’t surprise me if she can do that. Edwards will get her minutes and take what she learns this year to up her game next year. Nika and Mir are wild cards; one or both may turn out to be very good players. Whether that will be apparent this year is as yet unknown. That leaves Gabriel and Chassion and we have no reason to expect either to be a major contributor this year.

This is the kind of roster the coaching staff will need to get a feel for in actual games to decide how they best mesh, hoping that by mid-season they know where they are at.

Every year Uconn is good enough to win their in-conference games. Every year we have a handful of out of conference games that make the difference between a good season and a great season. This year will be no different. Last year our big time out of conference games didn’t go very well. This year we face four pre-season top six teams in Miss St, Louisville, South Carolina and Baylor, with a potential of adding Maryland. Two of those make or break games are very early in the season, with Miss St on Nov 29 and Louisville on Dec 4th. It will be very interesting to see how Geno game plans for those early challenges and how well the players can respond.

A small correction to your post. You stated there are 5 players that we’ve seen play in a UConn uniform. There are only 4 returning players from last year.

Reaction Score
And the beat goes on. How good is Paige? How overrated is Paige? Will Paige lead us to four National Championships? Is Evina the answer to all our woes? Is this the greatest freshman class ever? Tell you what, I'll have the answer to all your questions immediately after the last game of the season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
And the beat goes on. How good is Paige? How overrated is Paige? Will Paige lead us to four National Championships? Is Evina the answer to all our woes? Is this the greatest freshman class ever? Tell you what, I'll have the answer to all your questions immediately after the last game of the season.
You should know about Paige before the last game of the season except for the third question. Evina may be the answer to some important woes but no player is the answer to all of them. The greatest freshmen class ever? It should take longer than this season to know that unless you have some Carnac in you.;)

Reaction Score

While I normally dont read lengthy posts, this was well written based on facts. In particular the accurate assessment of ONO, a potential All American with much to prove and difficulty defending size.

Reaction Score
You should know about Paige before the last game of the season except for the third question. Evina may be the answer to some important woes but no player is the answer to all of them. The greatest freshmen class ever? It should take longer than this season to know that unless you have some Carnac in you.;)
Donald, I always check with Carnac before I post anything. I give him the answer and he gives me the question.

Reaction Score

And some posters will disagree. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
One of the things I would hope to see more of this season is some playing time for players 9-11. I am assuming the rotation for a game in doubt might be only 8, with the usual seven in the starter debates plus Nika at #8.

When the drop-off in talent was great, Geno has been very reluctant to put the tail end of the bench in until there was only a minute or two left, even in a blowout. I would like to see more of Mir, Piath and Autumn than that in the games that are not close.

We are curious to see if they have the potential to evolve into something more, it is not the same as the scrap minutes for Pulido or Lawlor, where we knew they would never have an important role, and I think it would develop those players much quicker, and give us something to look forward to watching in the final quarter.

I also would hope longer term that 8 might become 10 in a rotation that could run and press alot, with the starters and the bench. If we did that most of the time, push the accelerator on offense and full court press on defense, we would have to cut back starter minutes of course, but this team might have the potential to literally wear out the opposition. We normally have the edge in conditioning anyway, and this year probably can count on more from our bench than the vast majority of teams.

As for All-American prospects it is hard to predict, when we don't even know who the stars of this team will be yet, but I consider Nelson-Ododa, Williams, and Westbrook possibilities, but probably a little bit long-shots.

Do I think we have future All Americans on the rest of the roster? Absolutely but freshman year? Probably not but who knows with Paige. I expect both Paige and Aaliyah to be All Americans someday and maybe one or two others.

Reaction Score
While I normally dont read lengthy posts, this was well written based on facts. In particular the accurate assessment of ONO, a potential All American with much to prove and difficulty defending size.

I agree, things really clicked for Charles her Jr year and she was a NPOY as a senior, I think the same thing can happen for Liv.

Reaction Score
One of the things I would hope to see more of this season is some playing time for players 9-11. I am assuming the rotation for a game in doubt might be only 8, with the usual seven in the starter debates plus Nika at #8.

When the drop-off in talent was great, Geno has been very reluctant to put the tail end of the bench in until there was only a minute or two left, even in a blowout. I would like to see more of Mir, Piath and Autumn than that in the games that are not close.

We are curious to see if they have the potential to evolve into something more, it is not the same as the scrap minutes for Pulido or Lawlor, where we knew they would never have an important role, and I think it would develop those players much quicker, and give us something to look forward to watching in the final quarter.

I also would hope longer term that 8 might become 10 in a rotation that could run and press alot, with the starters and the bench. If we did that most of the time, push the accelerator on offense and full court press on defense, we would have to cut back starter minutes of course, but this team might have the potential to literally wear out the opposition. We normally have the edge in conditioning anyway, and this year probably can count on more from our bench than the vast majority of teams.

As for All-American prospects it is hard to predict, when we don't even know who the stars of this team will be yet, but I consider Nelson-Ododa, Williams, and Westbrook possibilities, but probably a little bit long-shots.

Do I think we have future All Americans on the rest of the roster? Absolutely but freshman year? Probably not but who knows with Paige. I expect both Paige and Aaliyah to be All Americans someday and maybe one or two others.
You are on target oldhuskie. This year we appear (and I stress "appear") to be deeper than in many a year. If 3 or 4 players beyond the starters deserve decent playing time I suspect Geno would relishing going up tempo.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You are on target oldhuskie. This year we appear (and I stress "appear") to be deeper than in many a year. If 3 or 4 players beyond the starters deserve decent playing time I suspect Geno would relishing going up tempo.
Wait, what? Geno has always been up tempo with any size rotation. This is evidence by even last years most pedestrian teams he has had in a long time. Last year’s rendition was 13th in scoring at 78.7 in scoring and 7th in assists per game at 18.7.
The last 4 years prior to that were 4th 82.8, 1st 89.4, 3rd 87.1 and 1st at 88.1 pts per game in 2015-16. Their assist totals these 4 years were ranked 5th 19.7; 2nd 22.8; 1st 23.3 and 1st 21.6.
So I refute your logic on that statement. Given all the passing skills and shooting skill this team possesses our assists will be up and our scoring will be up but not because “Geno would relish going up tempo” but because the teams skill level will be better.:)

Reaction Score
I’m not a big fan of pressing 40 minute type of teams. Though it’s exciting to think. Give me an amazing execution run offense while pushing pace as they have always done over press press press. And I don't think you can "wear down" the elite teams. They are also fit and well coached. And when you try to full court press the elite teams - and if they make you pay when your superstars (if any emerge for UCONN this year) are on the bench which costs you the game- it's a bad blunder. IMO as a coach you want to force the other team to beat your stars - not your bench.

And imo this team WILL HAVE stars. I’m very psyched this year to see who emerges as potential “put the jersey on the Wall” A/A’s or even if not that - just watching improvements and great play in which some will emerge as A/A caliber. For example, I'd be very surprised of Liv is not at least 3rd team A/A.

I'll also be surprised - but not as much as Liv-- if none of Evina, Paige, CWill and AMak make A/A. I say that because I expect them to beat most of the elite teams. Thus at least one of the guards/wings I expect to be A/A (but definitely not all and no way UCONN can get 4 overall.).

I’m really psyched to watch this team. Nov 28th can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Similar to what he would do with the National Team. Loaded with (varying levels of) talent, but all capable of coming in the game and keeping the tempo up and the defense solid. Even if it doesn’t happen this year, I suspect—and this is entirely contingent on players living up to their billings AND no injuries—Geno will attempt to do something similar with his team(s) in the next few years. He’ll have the combination of atheletes and passers to make an uptempo game a decidedly UConn advantage so let’s all hope these freshman and the ones next year can come in and produce at least as well as the freshman in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons. After all those freshman turned out to be pretty great.

Reaction Score

On what planet is ONO "not a natural post"? She is 6'5, solid rebounder, elite shot blocker, and primarily does her work from 15 feet and in, she is the definition of a natural post! Also, when did ONO have difficulty defending size?

Reaction Score
On what planet is ONO "not a natural post"? She is 6'5, solid rebounder, elite shot blocker, and primarily does her work from 15 feet and in, she is the definition of a natural post! Also, when did ONO have difficulty defending size?
I would venture to say she’s more of a face-up post player than a bang-inside post player similar to Breanna Stewart early on. She did have some difficulty handling Lauren Cox and I think her lack of bulk made it difficult for her to push opposing post players off the block, but if anything I’d say she had more difficulty offensively against similar size than defending against them. That’s pretty much a part of every post player’s transition from high school where they’re typically the tallest player by a significant margin to the college level where other post players are bigger, stronger, and more experienced. Just my two cents on the topic.

Reaction Score
Similar to what he would do with the National Team. Loaded with (varying levels of) talent, but all capable of coming in the game and keeping the tempo up and the defense solid. Even if it doesn’t happen this year, I suspect—and this is entirely contingent on players living up to their billings AND no injuries—Geno will attempt to do something similar with his team(s) in the next few years. He’ll have the combination of atheletes and passers to make an uptempo game a decidedly UConn advantage so let’s all hope these freshman and the ones next year can come in and produce at least as well as the freshman in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons. After all those freshman turned out to be pretty great.
I long for the early 20 teens when our race horses would come out of the gate and run up a 30 pt lead on everyone by half time. Then the second half would be a heavy dose of the stars of tomorrow working out their game while the racehorses do their cool down.

Reaction Score
Wow! And One. This is a Tonyesque like post. Very good. And a good reading discussion by all of the posters. From my personal perspective, you have described why I am anxious for this season to begin. To me, this will be an exciting year given the potential of this team to compete against some of the best rated teams in the country and the New Big East. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I would venture to say she’s more of a face-up post player than a bang-inside post player similar to Breanna Stewart early on. She did have some difficulty handling Lauren Cox and I think her lack of bulk made it difficult for her to push opposing post players off the block, but if anything I’d say she had more difficulty offensively against similar size than defending against them. That’s pretty much a part of every post player’s transition from high school where they’re typically the tallest player by a significant margin to the college level where other post players are bigger, stronger, and more experienced. Just my two cents on the topic.

Player A: 13pts, 8rbs, 2.7blks

Player B: 11pts, 9rbs, 3.1blks

Player C: 13pts, 9rbs, 2.6blks

Player A is Cox, Player B is ONO, and Player C is Boston. They all had very similar stats, but Boston and Cox are viewed as being head and shoulders better than ONO, I just don't think that is fair or accurate.

Reaction Score

Player A is Cox, Player B is ONO, and Player C is Boston. They all had very similar stats, but Boston and Cox are viewed as being head and shoulders better than ONO, I just don't think that is fair or accurate.

I like ONO a lot, but stats don't tell an entire story. Against the top tier teams, she had problems even staying in big games. She was solid against South Carolina, but it got lost with how hideous we looked in that first quarter.

Reaction Score

Season stats are one statistic. Let’s look into the individual matchups ONO had against Cox and Boston instead for a more accurate comparison.

ONO vs Cox
ONO: 0pts (0-8), 6reb (2-4), 1ast, 1TO, 1blk, 1stl 3pf
Cox*: 16pts (6-15), 6reb (1-5), 4ast, 2TO, 4blk, 1stl, 2pf

*I believe this was only her second or third game back after her foot injury

ONO vs Boston
ONO: 10pts (5-12), 9reb (7-2), 4ast, 3TO, 3blk, 1stl, 5pf
Boston: 13pts (6-14), 12reb (6-6), 1ast, 2TO, 2blk, 3stl, 1pf

In both cases she was outscored by the opposing post player—a player returning from injury and a freshman. In the Oregon game, Ruthy Hebard had 22pts (10-14) to ONO’s 8pts (4-5). She was also outrebounded 12 (for Hebard; 2-10) to 6 (for ONO; 1-5). The Oregon game was the best barometer against a quality, experienced, in-shape post player. Now obviously Oregon was a machine last year Ionescu and Sabally so that has to be taken into account. But my point still stands. ONO struggled OFFENSIVELY against similarly sized post players. By no means were Cox and Boston head and shoulders ahead of ONO, but she needs to be more dominant on the offensive end.

Reaction Score

Same players, but against ranked opponents.

Cox - 11pts, 9.5rbs, 2.5blks in 2 games
Boston- 13pts, 11rbs, 2.7blks in 15 games
ONO- 9pts, 6rbs, 2.2blks in 5 games

Boston's stats really show her consistency against good teams, as a freshman. Her head to head with ONO:
13/12/2 vs 10/9/3.

Cox missed much of the early season, but her head to head with ONO:
16/6/4 vs. 0/6/1.

I think it's fair to say that of the three, Olivia has the most to prove. How far behind she is remains up for debate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Q: On what planet is ONO "not a natural post"?
A: All the ones in this solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.
ONO needs more mass to be considered a natural post and many have been pointing to the importance of the weight room for her development since before she committed to UCONN.
Q: Also, when did ONO have difficulty defending size?
A: As a Freshman it was against Baylor, Louisville (2X).
As a sophomore it was against Baylor, Oregon & most depressingly the first half against TN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

You are correct it not fair or accurate because you forgot to include Smith of Baylor's 20 points and 12 rebounds in the stats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom