Looking Ahead | The Boneyard

Looking Ahead

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If the team prevails today and in the finals
There is a good chance that they will be much improved
With the underclassmen having been forced to step up.
It's amazing that Geno has to remind CW to do her thing...
But there it is.
Perhaps she's finally learned.
MSF
Steamboat Springs

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In Geno's post game comments, CW is the one player he can't figure out. She simply continues to defer and avoids doing what she does so well. I liked Geno's line

" I would get it if I asked her to post up in the middle and she hesitated but asking her to do what she is best at :confused::confused::confused:"

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has grown alot and today vs USF they will grow even more. This will be a good test moving forward. The only thing I am waiting for is a higher percentage from 3 pointers. Today should be a day when CW MW step up big because I expect Phessa to be double teamed. Ono's presence has changed the game and today she needs to stay out of foul trouble and her presence will change the game big time.

Reaction Score
UConn has grown alot and today vs USF they will grow even more. This will be a good test moving forward. The only thing I am waiting for is a higher percentage from 3 pointers. Today should be a day when CW MW step up big because I expect Phessa to be double teamed. Ono's presence has changed the game and today she needs to stay out of foul trouble and her presence will change the game big time.

Sounds right. Double up on Napheesa and play Ono tough and try to get fouls on her and/or frustrate her. She draws a lot of fouls so hopefully will backfire on them

Reaction Score
Games are much more competitive than ever before for UConn and AAC teams. As bad as it is for my health, I found myself enjoying the games even more. Seeing players improve and step up, losing a top player, add to the suspense. Games are physical and will get even worse for Pheesa and Lou.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sounds right. Double up on Napheesa and play Ono tough and try to get fouls on her and/or frustrate her. She draws a lot of fouls so hopefully will backfire on them
Liv adds another dimension to the Huskies game on the boards and in the paint on defense. If she stays out of foul trouble, UConn should win comfortably.

In yesterday’s game Liv played 36 minutes, her highest total by far. She ended up with 4 fouls, one of which was a complete BS call when an ECU player took a dive while trying to throw up a prayer over Liv’s outstretched arms.

Liv has improved her footwork significantly and she’s making better decisions how and when to be aggressive, both of which reduce the number of fouls she incurs.

Reaction Score
So many argue that the AAC hurts with UConn recruiting, which could be somewhat valid but let’s look at the other side too. I might be one of few that actually believes this but I think the AAC is better now than it ever has been. Recruiting with UConn has raised everyone’s level of players & play. Some food for thought.

Reaction Score
What I liked about the previous game with USF, just a week ago, was the 4 guard lineup that pressured USF into making multiple turnovers on which UConn scored and went significantly ahead to win. That may be the key to winning games. It will come down to pressure defense forcing turnovers, and overall conditioning of UConn women to last 4 quarters while keeping up this pressure. As we have seen in the past, other teams do not have the same level of conditioning and will tire and cause these turnovers under great pressure. That's my opinion and it ain't worth a cent.

Reaction Score
In Geno's post game comments, CW is the one player he can't figure out. She simply continues to defer and avoids doing what she does so well. I liked Geno's line

" I would get it if I asked her to post up in the middle and she hesitated but asking her to do what she is best at :confused::confused::confused:"
He said pretty much the same thing in another post-game interview - the ‘official’ presser I think - but with a funny twist [I didn’t go back and transcribe - this just from memory]:

“I said,’Pheesa why don’t you hand the ball to Christyn, and Christyn you take it to the hoop - whaddaya think about that?’ So Christyn says, ‘That’s a pretty good idea.’ And I say, ‘Hey, I’m in the Hall of Fame - I’ve got lots of good ideas.’”

Reaction Score
If the team prevails today and in the finals
There is a good chance that they will be much improved
With the underclassmen having been forced to step up.
It's amazing that Geno has to remind CW to do her thing...
But there it is.
Perhaps she's finally learned.
MSF
Steamboat Springs

Arkansas kids, especially those that went to the Christian School in Conway, are NICE non pushy kids. I expect when Ms Williams becomes a Soph and knows then that only She, Megan, Danger, ONO, Aubrey are the fire power of Uconn she will step up. Expect a different CW next year.
There isn't anything about CW I don't like--she is like many of the Arkansans I knew and had as students,smart, hard workers and no pretentious.

Reaction Score
He said pretty much the same thing in another post-game interview - the ‘official’ presser I think - but with a funny twist [I didn’t go back and transcribe - this just from memory]:

“I said,’Pheesa why don’t you hand the ball to Christyn, and Christyn you take it to the hoop - whaddaya think about that?’ So Christyn says, ‘That’s a pretty good idea.’ And I say, ‘Hey, I’m in the Hall of Fame - I’ve got lots of good ideas.’”
Ms Williams as a nice kid Frosh is still trying to find out where the lines are. She has been pulled and by her look was a bit confused as to why. Early on she was pushed to play more and harder defense, to learn plays, learn how Geno wants her to see the floor. She learned early that 3 on that team were the scorers and she was to feed them. Yea, she did take over in the ND game--then all the above happened. She has the talent the drive and the ability to take over games--she is working her tail off to understand Div 1, and everything Geno wants, it ain't easy.

Reaction Score
So many argue that the AAC hurts with UConn recruiting, which could be somewhat valid but let’s look at the other side too. I might be one of few that actually believes this but I think the AAC is better now than it ever has been. Recruiting with UConn has raised everyone’s level of players & play. Some food for thought.
Could it be that UConn has helped the AAC, but the AAC has not helped UConn?
If I was a recruit, I would be attracted to playing in a really competitive conference, in which there are a plethora of big games to play in. SEC? Pac 12? ACC?
Maybe it will evolve into something great.

Reaction Score
CW has been working all season to figure out how to play the game offensively when she doesn't have the ball in her hands all the time, as she did in high school. Same with Walker last year. It's a whole different game for them, and certainly takes time. The most important part of Geno's supposed comment is for Collier to hand her the ball. I think it's a great big deal for the upper classmen to work overtime getting frosh involved. Even to the point where they give up shots themselves. Not hard to do when they're winning so often by big margins. If they all made an effort in the second half to get her more involved, why haven't they been doing that all season?

Reaction Score
CW has been working all season to figure out how to play the game offensively when she doesn't have the ball in her hands all the time, as she did in high school. Same with Walker last year. It's a whole different game for them, and certainly takes time. The most important part of Geno's supposed comment is for Collier to hand her the ball. I think it's a great big deal for the upper classmen to work overtime getting frosh involved. Even to the point where they give up shots themselves. Not hard to do when they're winning so often by big margins. If they all made an effort in the second half to get her more involved, why haven't they been doing that all season?
I agree with your premise but CW also needs to help herself. Geno is constantly upset with her effort. That has nothing to do with the upperclassmen getting her involved. Pheesa & Lou have done more than we could have hoped. At some point someone else has to step up without their hand being held. I mean we’re talking about 3 #1 recruits for goodness sakes!

Reaction Score
Ms Williams as a nice kid Frosh is still trying to find out where the lines are. She has been pulled and by her look was a bit confused as to why. Early on she was pushed to play more and harder defense, to learn plays, learn how Geno wants her to see the floor. She learned early that 3 on that team were the scorers and she was to feed them. Yea, she did take over in the ND game--then all the above happened. She has the talent the drive and the ability to take over games--she is working her tail off to understand Div 1, and everything Geno wants, it ain't easy.
While I classify Geno as one of the best coaches in ANY sport, I see his tendency for many years to go on screaming rants on his frosh to create this behavior. Sometimes easier to not make a mistake than try to be great. This behavior tends to go away Soph year.

Reaction Score
Could it be that UConn has helped the AAC, but the AAC has not helped UConn?
If I was a recruit, I would be attracted to playing in a really competitive conference, in which there are a plethora of big games to play in. SEC? Pac 12? ACC?
Maybe it will evolve into something great.
If you consider the amount of overall positive press UConn receives, hard for any other team to compare. One of the hardest out of conference schedules, 8,000+ at every game, and ALWAYS mentioned when TV announcers review women's basketball. AAC doesn't help but not the drag some perceive.

Reaction Score
I might be one of few that actually believes this but I think the AAC is better now than it ever has been. Recruiting with UConn has raised everyone’s level of players & play. Some food for thought.
I can’t honestly see that at all. USF games weee always very competitive till this year. And a few pseudo close games only happened because UCONN has been down a notch...if UCONN keeps moving downward, AAC will get even better ?:)

Reaction Score
Liv adds another dimension to the Huskies game on the boards and in the paint on defense. If she stays out of foul trouble, UConn should win comfortably.

In yesterday’s game Liv played 36 minutes, her highest total by far. She ended up with 4 fouls, one of which was a complete BS call when an ECU player took a dive while trying to throw up a prayer over Liv’s outstretched arms.

Liv has improved her footwork significantly and she’s making better decisions how and when to be aggressive, both of which reduce the number of fouls she incurs.
I really liked Olivia’s game...she did everything asked of her...

I’m more concerned now with Christyn’s assertiveness. If she amps it up over the next two games, the pieces will all fall into place...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey some very good points but I say allow Phessa to bring the ball up and force the post players on defense to come out and guard her one on one and those defensive post players will tire quickly and Pheesa one on one would score at will against a slower post player.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The Williams/Walker tandem need to play well so Pheesa does not get beat up too badly. I think USF doubles down on the physical play, and when we survive that, we get a double shot from UCF. Ono can really help on defense as she showed yesterday. Wonder ,if Geno tries her underneath a lot, she can take the pounding ?

Reaction Score
The Williams/Walker tandem need to play well so Pheesa does not get beat up too badly. I think USF doubles down on the physical play, and when we survive that, we get a double shot from UCF. Ono can really help on defense as she showed yesterday. Wonder ,if Geno tries her underneath a lot, she can take the pounding ?
Do you think CW/MW will do better than 16 and 14 point, plus rebounds and assists. Not a shabby out put for a frosh and soph. Yes each has the talent to score 20 plus points per game, will they??

lets see: 15 each from CW/Mw, 13 from ONO, that's 43. Add 19 from Danger 62. From the most recent games of USF that seems like enough add 20 from Phee --shoe in. No cake walk it will be a fight to the 4th quarter then mop up time.

Reaction Score
Hey some very good points but I say allow Phessa to bring the ball up and force the post players on defense to come out and guard her one on one and those defensive post players will tire quickly and Pheesa one on one would score at will against a slower post player.
TonyC--what coach would allow the posts to be pulled out to go after a pg (phee bringing the ball up)? Phee routinely plays at the top of the key, and smart posts stay close to the basket. Even ONO is getting smart enough not to be drawn away from the basket--that's her job defending the basket.

Reaction Score
What I liked about the previous game with USF, just a week ago, was the 4 guard lineup that pressured USF into making multiple turnovers on which UConn scored and went significantly ahead to win. That may be the key to winning games. It will come down to pressure defense forcing turnovers, and overall conditioning of UConn women to last 4 quarters while keeping up this pressure. As we have seen in the past, other teams do not have the same level of conditioning and will tire and cause these turnovers under great pressure. That's my opinion and it ain't worth a cent.
I think you just outlined the game plan here on out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom