Looking ahead to South Carolina | The Boneyard

Looking ahead to South Carolina

Reaction Score
Is something we probably shouldn’t do but watching tonight’s one point victory at home by South Carolina over Mississippi State, the main problem is the one who got away, Boston. Without her South Carolina is still very good but more than beatable. Mississippi State was still able to drive to basket but rebound battles off missed layups once under the basket usually went to Boston. I don’t see Liv winning many of those battles but I do see her in foul trouble, as Mississippi State’s big was. Three point shooting and cutting to basket will be needed.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Boston is a handful. If Connecticut can get her in foul trouble and ONO has a big game, UCONN wins. If Boston is Boston and outplays ONO, I think SC wins.

Reaction Score
Boston is a generational player. I'd say she is the best big in wcbb now, and she's only a freshman. She's very efficient & dominant on both ends. She can lead the team in scoring and rebounding if thats the strategy. Bottom line - a game changer.

Reaction Score
Boston is a generational player. I'd say she is the best big in wcbb now, and she's only a freshman. She's very efficient & dominant on both ends. She can lead the team in scoring and rebounding if thats the strategy. Bottom line - a game changer.
Can you imagine what she’ll be like as a senior? Coaches are going to have to redesign strategies to deal with bigs like her—if there are others. I found myself thinking about Gulliver’s travels to Lilliput.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1579579122556.gif

Reaction Score
Boston was very good, but, Miss. St should have won that game. They were ahead by six with five minutes to go and were still ahead eith 2 minutes to go until the ball was stolen from a player (who should have not been allowed to touch it), which resulted in a break away lay-up and Miss. St missed a number of shots subsequently. Also Miss. St only made three 3 point shots.

The decider will be if UConn can, unlike against Baylor, make 3's.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Generational might be a stretch....and Cox is solidly better than her right now IMO. But she's excellent.

Reaction Score
Generational might be a stretch....and Cox is solidly better than her right now IMO. But she's excellent.
It is too bad that she and Cox could not have gone at each other in the South Carolina win. Experience no doubt gives Cox the edge but...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s a bit soon for me to start worrying about the Gamecocks. With that said, I will acknowledge that Boston has been important to their success. But I think focusing on Boston obscures the most important player for SC this season.

As a 4-yr starter, Ty Harris is playing at an AA level. She is in a class with Ionescu & Crystal as one of the very best pg’s in the nation. The matchup between Harris and Crystal will go a long way towards determining the outcome of the February game between SC & UConn.

Reaction Score
South Carolina drove at Miss State's three bigs the entire first half...............I think they drew 7-8 fouls during that time................I envision the same strategy will be employed against ONO...............

Reaction Score
It’s a bit soon for me to start worrying about the Gamecocks. With that said, I will acknowledge that Boston has been important to their success. But I think focusing on Boston obscures the most important player for SC this season.

As a 4-yr starter, Ty Harris is playing at an AA level. She is in a class with Ionescu & Crystal as one of the very best pg’s in the nation. The matchup between Harris and Crystal will go a long way towards determining the outcome of the February game between SC & UConn.

I agree on Harris but the minute Boston left the court Miss State took over the game.................she needs to be in the game for them to win against top competition..........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
South Carolina drove at Miss State's three bigs the entire first half...............I think they drew 7-8 fouls during that time................I envision the same strategy will be employed against ONO...............
When Vic brought in all those tall trees this season, many felt that MS St would be unbeatable. In watching them play last night, I was really surprised at just how ineffective they were. For the entire game Carter, Morris & Taylor combined for a grand total of 6 pts, 6 rbs & 9 fouls. On her own, Boston had 21 pts, 12 rbs and only 3 fouls.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
South Carolina is a fine team, and Boston is very good and will only get better. But Ms State had them down and Bibby gave up the ball and things went awry. Bibby was ineffective during the entire game, but I guess she was Vic's best option. Ms State had five fouls midway through the third period, and South Carolina had none. The Gamecocks took full advantage of that situation too. It was a fun game to watch, and good fodder for the BY to feast upon. For sure playing them at their place, and with their crowd will be a big challenge.

Reaction Score
Harris is still at South Carolina? It feels like she has been there forever because she played against Stewie & Friends who have been gone for four years already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Harris is still at South Carolina? It feels like she has been there forever because she played against Stewie & Friends who have been gone for four years already.
Harris never played against Stewie and the big 3. She was in the HS class of 2016. When you’ve been a starter from your 1st game as a freshman, it certainly feels like you’ve been there forever.

Harris has truly benefited from playing for Dawn. She was ranked 28th by Hoopgurlz, the 10th best pg in her class. After 4 years at SC, I would rank her even with Crystal, behind only Ionescu at the pg spot.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Obviously you can’t make an exact parallel. In the 1991 NCAA men’s tournament, a team without a dominant center beat a team with THE dominant center by 15 points. The dominant center was dominant, scoring 27 points and a lot of rebounds. The winning team had a strategy to make sure nobody else hurt them. The dominant center:Shaquille ONeal. The winning team:UConn with Chris Smith and Rod Sellers at center who was no Shaquille.

Reaction Score
When Vic brought in all those tall trees this season, many felt that MS St would be unbeatable. In watching them play last night, I was really surprised at just how ineffective they were. For the entire game Carter, Morris & Taylor combined for a grand total of 6 pts, 6 rbs & 9 fouls. On her own, Boston had 21 pts, 12 rbs and only 3 fouls.

Clearly not on Boston's level but they come with 15 fouls to give.............our lone post ONO has but 5..................:(

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It is too bad that she and Cox could not have gone at each other in the South Carolina win. Experience no doubt gives Cox the edge but...

Would've loved to see them go head to head. Wouldn't be surprised if we do in the F4 or title game.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

The Mississippi State bigs will get better under Vic. McCowan was underwhelming until her junior year when she turned into an absolute beast. Taylor will probably be much more effective next year if she can stay healthy, she's extremely long and a good shot blocker. Carter is much improved from a year ago too.

Reaction Score
Is something we probably shouldn’t do but watching tonight’s one point victory at home by South Carolina over Mississippi State, the main problem is the one who got away, Boston. Without her South Carolina is still very good but more than beatable. Mississippi State was still able to drive to basket but rebound battles off missed layups once under the basket usually went to Boston. I don’t see Liv winning many of those battles but I do see her in foul trouble, as Mississippi State’s big was. Three point shooting and cutting to basket will be needed.
Excellent game! Both teams were sharp and aggressive. Great contributions from their freshmen on both sides. I couldn't believe the dribble drives by Mississippi State. I think both SC and MS will be hard to beat, but if the buckets are falling we can do it!!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom