Longest homerun you’ve ever seen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Longest homerun you’ve ever seen

Reaction Score
I think I saw Stanton murder a baseball yesterday. 483 feet & exit was 121.3 MPH. It was majestic. Check it out if you missed it.

He’s had a few 500. One was a missile over the Art Deco carnival structure of Marlins Park landing on the centerfield concourse a few years ago. My lord.

Reggie & Mantle have had 500+.

My question is concerning Ted Williams 502 Red Designation Seat at Fenway and Babe Ruth’s fabled 575? That’s Five-Seventy-Five.

Ortiz says, Ted’s is really hard to imagine. Article linked. Ortiz never personally came close. He tried. He even experimented with Aluminum bats.

Jerry Remy said this week, in 30 years of watching games and batting practices, at Fenway nothing has landed near that Red seat in right field.

Are those bombs long ago Fact/fiction?

Darryl Strawberry hit the top of the dome in Montreal. Camera only caught the thing after it came down. Must've been at least 550 ft.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I saw Dwight Evan's hit one off Tom Candiotti in 1988 ( I think). I don't think it landed yet

Reaction Score
There were some strong guys back then and I'm sure the consistency of the baseball was highly variable. Get a hot ball and a good swing and 550 ft by Ruth, Williams, Foxx, etc is possible.

Do you believe Arnold Palmer drove the first hole at Cherry Hill during final round of US Open in 1960? 345+ yards with wood face, steel shaft and sponge for a golf ball?

None of today's big hitters could do it using Arnie's equipment.

I think with golf it is possible. You catch one with low spin and get a good roll on firm fairway. I don't think he could carry it 345 like guys today with modern equipment.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t measured, but George Foster cranked one in San Diego that was still rising when it hit about 40 rows above the 8’ fence in left field of Jack Murphy stadium (old place). It took “1 mississippi” to get there, the hardest hit ball I’ve ever seen or heard. It was a pitcher’s park, with 400+ to dead center, and Dave Winfield used to hit them out often enough. But never like Foster.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
As a child I saw Moose Skowron in July 1959 hit one over the left centerfield wall into the bleachers at the old stadium. That was well over 460 ft. Left center was 457 ft. I also remember (but was not there) Harmon Killebrew hitting gargantuan shots in the stadium both into the left field bleachers and left field upper deck both of which were rare territory for homeruns. Mantle the only one to hit two in dead center (461 ft fence).

I was at the stadium when Mantle hit one dead center field over 400ft. Over the monuments. Marris also hit one in the seats. That game was Mel Stotlemeyer pitched his first game. He also contributed with a base hit as The Bombers beat the White Sox 9-6. I forget the date. I don't I was even a teen then.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Jim Rice hit some monsters. I remember this one.

This brings back memories of a cartoon that appeared in a Boston paper after the homerun. The cartoon showed a ballplayer up on the Mass Pike hidden behind a sandbagged wall. It was entitled "how to defend against Jim Rice". LOL. I remember him winning the MVP in 1978 with 400 total bases.

Reaction Score
I think Manny hit a bomb in Toronto that went about 540 if I’m correct.

Reaction Score
Mo Vaughn Big East Tournament at Muzzy Field. Hit it over the pine trees in right field. Some said it landed in the Pequabuck River... That Seton Hall team was crazy stacked too with Biggio, Martese Robinson and a few others...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Canseco hit one at Harbor Yard (playing for Newark) that hit the arena, and not just barely. An absolute bomb.

Reaction Score
Reggie hitting one over the right field light standard in Tiger Stadium, possibly 1984 but not sure

Reaction Score
I think I saw Stanton murder a baseball yesterday. 483 feet & exit was 121.3 MPH. It was majestic. Check it out if you missed it.

He’s had a few 500. One was a missile over the Art Deco carnival structure of Marlins Park landing on the centerfield concourse a few years ago. My lord.

Reggie & Mantle have had 500+.

My question is concerning Ted Williams 502 Red Designation Seat at Fenway and Babe Ruth’s fabled 575? That’s Five-Seventy-Five.

Ortiz says, Ted’s is really hard to imagine. Article linked. Ortiz never personally came close. He tried. He even experimented with Aluminum bats.

Jerry Remy said this week, in 30 years of watching games and batting practices, at Fenway nothing has landed near that Red seat in right field.

Are those bombs long ago Fact/fiction?

I have been to almost all major league ball parks spanning 50 years so this is tough.

I am going old school. Dave Kingman hit one to left at Shea, over the bullpen and over 2 busses parked behind said pen. Had to be 500

Great question.

Reaction Score
I was also at Connie Mack when Dick Allen hit it over the full left field stands and light tower. I was sitting in the 3rd based side in left field and it was still rising going over the light towers which had to be at least 50-60' if not higher from ground level. Paper the next day estimated 650', but who really knows.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Probably the one I hit one day in 1969 while playing in the empty field in back of Sacred Heart Church in Vernon.
I was never a power hitter by any means but it must have been a combination of the Nehi Orange soda, twizzlers and a few fireballs that mojo'd my testosterone to a maximum level.
I took a pitch from my brother Scott and it was one of those that when you hit it there was no feeling in the bat and it shot off of the bat high, hard and fast - into the woods where we couldn't find it. Never hit one like it before or after. I felt like Ron Santo (my idol) rounding the bases and all the kids just stood in awe because I was always good for a ground ball base hit or a pop-up.
Strange but 51 years later I still recall that day as if it was yesterday
BTW - in high school baseball I walked 58 times, struckout 12 times, HBP 6 times and had 2 base hits. I was a great fielder but after my sophomore year I decided that baseball was not my future.

Reaction Score
I was at Fenway and saw Bo Jackson hit a homer off of Oil Can Boyd like he was angry at the ball. I swear the thing never got more than 20 feet off the ground and it hit the wall going into the bleachers in left-center and bounded back onto the field. Everyone was pretty much awe struck. Except Oil Can......I think he blamed in on the ump.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This brings back memories of a cartoon that appeared in a Boston paper after the homerun. The cartoon showed a ballplayer up on the Mass Pike hidden behind a sandbagged wall. It was entitled "how to defend against Jim Rice". LOL. I remember him winning the MVP in 1978 with 400 total bases.

Any ball hit over that diagonal wall between left center and center is an absolute bomb. Splitting hairs of it going over the flag and pole or just going by it on the fly is cute.

Reaction Score
This one:

I know he was all roided up but so were at least half of them. I've never seen anything on a baseball field that was remotely close to Bonds during his roided up period. It was absurd, you either walked him or he was gonna hit it 450 feet off of you.

Reaction Score
The most impressive shot I’ve ever seen was Mantle’s hitting left handed that the old facade. He allegedly had more power as a righty.
That ball was bouncing back into the stadium in a blink. Based on speed and trajectory the Daily News estimated it could have gone 700 ft.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Longest in person was this Josh Hamilton blast at Fenway in 2012. .

Reaction Score
Saw Jim Rice hit a bomb into the upper deck at Yankee stadium. One of the best games that I saw in person. Game ended with the Yanks Ken Griffey sr. Taking a Potential game winning Homer away from Marty Barrett.
Norm Cash with his corked bat hit a 500+ homer over the roof at either Fenway or Tiger stadium

Reaction Score
I was also at Connie Mack when Dick Allen hit it over the full left field stands and light tower. I was sitting in the 3rd based side in left field and it was still rising going over the light towers which had to be at least 50-60' if not higher from ground level. Paper the next day estimated 650', but who really knows.
Welcome, "Chalk1". Has that ball re-entered the earth's atmosphere yet?

Are you a Philly native? I am not (Branford, CT), but was a freshman at Penn then. Very fond memories of Philly, especially the Palestra.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom