Longest homerun you’ve ever seen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Longest homerun you’ve ever seen

Reaction Score
There's been a few as a Mets fan. Mo Vaughn hit one about two-thirds of the way up the old scoreboard in right field at Shea. Last year, Pete Alonso hit one about halfway up into the upper deck in Minnesota.
ATL@NYM: Vaughn's homer hits halfway up scoreboard - YouTube

Reaction Score
I was at the game where Adam Dunn hit one out of GABP and in to the Ohio River. I don’t think there has ever been one come close to leaving the park since.

Reaction Score
4 come to mind :
Saw Greg Luzinski hit one out of Shea Stadium. Sailed past the Mezzinine and landed behind the visitor BP.
Dave Kingman hit one at Shea to LF/LCF that disappeared and I'm pretty sure went into the parking lot.
Cespedes cranked one at Citi Field near the Acela Club in left that would have gone farther if an open stadium.
Still rising went it landed.
Saw Mark Reynolds (Diamond Backs) hit one in the upper deck of Citi Field when the ball didn't carry at all in that park. That HR was impressive.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
4 come to mind :
Saw Greg Luzinski hit one out of Shea Stadium. Sailed past the Mezzinine and landed behind the visitor BP.
Dave Kingman hit one to LF/LCF that disappeared and I'm pretty sure went into the parking lot.
Cedpedes cranked one at Citi Fieldnear the Acela Club in left that would have gone farther if an open stadium.
Still rising went it landed.
Saw Mark Reynolds (Diamond Back) hit one in the upper deck of Citi Field when the ball didn't carry at all in that park. That HR was impressive.

That Reynolds one was a bomb. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was hit to left-center and still reached the upper deck.

Reaction Score
That Reynolds one was a bomb. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was hit to left-center and still reached the upper deck.
Yup. I was sitting in the upper deck behind home plate and when he hit it it just kept rising.
To that point I never saw one hit there at Citi Field.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Pedro Alvarez over the batters eye at PNC. Really wish he would’ve put it all together because, on the few occasions he was locked in, it was fun to watch

Reaction Score
Hardest hit ball I have seen was a Cecil Fielder line drive at Fenway. He hit it to the left center portion of the monster. My view was from the right field bleachers and it seemed like the ball was still rising when it hit the wall. In great Cecil Fielder fashion, it ended up a single.

Reaction Score
I think I saw Stanton murder a baseball yesterday. 483 feet & exit was 121.3 MPH. It was majestic. Check it out if you missed it.

He’s had a few 500. One was a missile over the Art Deco carnival structure of Marlins Park landing on the centerfield concourse a few years ago. My lord.

Reggie & Mantle have had 500+.

My question is concerning Ted Williams 502 Red Designation Seat at Fenway and Babe Ruth’s fabled 575? That’s Five-Seventy-Five.

Ortiz says, Ted’s is really hard to imagine. Article linked. Ortiz never personally came close. He tried. He even experimented with Aluminum bats.

Jerry Remy said this week, in 30 years of watching games and batting practices, at Fenway nothing has landed near that Red seat in right field.

Are those bombs long ago Fact/fiction?

Let's not forget the great Jimmie Foxx, who hit a 475 foot home run as a 16 year old. Many baseball historian's rank him #2 behind Ruth in power hitting.

"In 1936, Jimmie Foxx, batting against the Yankees' Red Ruffing, hit a shot that sailed over Fenway's leftfield wall and landed on the back of the roof of the Lansdowne Street Garage. Foxx also cleared Comiskey Park's leftfield roof."

Arguably he had the greatest single season ever at the plate in 1932......

In 1932, the 25 yr old Foxx hit .364, with 58 home runs with 169 RBIs, missing the Triple Crown by just three points in batting average. Foxx actually hit 60 home runs that year, which would have tied Babe Ruth's record, but two of the home runs were hit in games that ended up being rained out, so the home runs did not count."

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I saw Mickey Mantle's last World Series homer off the façade in the stadium. It was a Barnie Shultz knuckleball that didn't knuckleball. That was a blast!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was at the game where Adam Dunn hit one out of GABP and in to the Ohio River. I don’t think there has ever been one come close to leaving the park since.

The best factoid on that was, with the bounce into the Ohio River, Dunn became the first player in MLB history to hit a home run into another state.

I've seen Josh Bell hit two into the Allegheny on the fly, but those were just 472 and 474 feet. But the funniest was a Pedro Alvarez bomb that landed in a boat, which may be the first time a home run ball souvenir was ever collected that way.

Reaction Score
I attended numerous games in Wrigley during the Dave Kingman era. He was a powerful guy and a lot of his homers were like pop ups, they would go tremendously high. So when the wind was blowing out, they would go and go and go. And his famous shot was much more toward center (than Hill's) and went well past Waveland Ave down Kenmore Street. Complete bombs.

Reaction Score
I do not believe any estimated home run distances back in the day over 550 ft. And those Ruth home runs over 650 ft, come on. Now that we have stat case and launch monitors, it's hard to input numbers to make someone have the bat speed to hit one 600 ft. Its like the weekend hacker who says he hits it 300 yards.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I do not believe any estimated home run distances back in the day over 550 ft. And those Ruth home runs over 650 ft, come on. Now that we have stat case and launch monitors, it's hard to input numbers to make someone have the bat speed to hit one 600 ft. Its like the weekend hacker who says he hits it 300 yards.

There were some strong guys back then and I'm sure the consistency of the baseball was highly variable. Get a hot ball and a good swing and 550 ft by Ruth, Williams, Foxx, etc is possible.

Do you believe Arnold Palmer drove the first hole at Cherry Hill during final round of US Open in 1960? 345+ yards with wood face, steel shaft and sponge for a golf ball?

None of today's big hitters could do it using Arnie's equipment.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There were some strong guys back then and I'm sure the consistency of the baseball was highly variable. Get a hot ball and a good swing and 550 ft by Ruth, Williams, Foxx, etc is possible.

Do you believe Arnold Palmer drove the first hole at Cherry Hill during final round of US Open in 1960? 345+ yards with wood face, steel shaft and sponge for a golf ball?

None of today's big hitters could do it using Arnie's equipment.

I wouldn't expect anyone on today's PGA tour to be able to duplicate Arnie's feat with no advance practice. But, I do think that if they did have the opportunity to practice that shot with that equipment, some of them coulda.

Regarding Ruth and 650 ft shot, what we know about physics, baseball trajectory and exit speed makes that a very dubious proposition. 550 is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Reaction Score
1971 All-Star game in Detroit. Reggie Jackson hit a homerun off of Dock Ellis that hit the base of the light tower on the roof at Tiger Stadium. Boog Powell said it was the hardest hit ball he had ever seen.

Personally, I gave up one to Dale Murphy at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket that went over the lights in left field. I got a standing ovation from my own teammates when the inning was over for giving up the "longest homerun in history." Lesson learned, never hang a forkball. If you do, it's like putting it on a tee.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect anyone on today's PGA tour to be able to duplicate Arnie's feat with no advance practice. But, I do think that if they did have the opportunity to practice that shot with that equipment, some of them coulda.

Regarding Ruth and 650 ft shot, what we know about physics, baseball trajectory and exit speed makes that a very dubious proposition. 550 is certainly within the realm of possibility.

And that was partly my point. Players back in the 30's had way heavier bats. They swung differently to get that lumber around.
Arnie had to perfect a swing to get the screws on the persimmon driver. But you had to be damn strong and true on your swing. Today's better conditioned athletes couldn't just pick up his equipment and do what he did.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1971 All-Star game in Detroit. Reggie Jackson hit a homerun off of Dock Ellis that hit the base of the light tower on the roof at Tiger Stadium. Boog Powell said it was the hardest hit ball he had ever seen.

Personally, I gave up one to Dale Murphy at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket that went over the lights in left field. I got a standing ovation from my own teammates when the inning was over for giving up the "longest homerun in history." Lesson learned, never hang a forkball. If you do, it's like putting it on a tee.

Right here.

Reaction Score
I once saw Sam Horn, in spring training, hit a home run at the old Tinker Field in Orlando. Over the right field fence was the Citrus Bowl (now Camping World Stadium) which dwarfed Tinker Field. At the top of the Citrus Bowl was a trailer, that might have been offices or a press booth or temporary. Horn hit that trailer. Massive home run. No trailer, it would have gone into the Citrus Bowl.

Reaction Score
If it's good enough for MLB.com it's good enough for me. Read the article. It infers it may not have been 650ft as originally measured "but was well over 600ft." Probably was a barnstorming juiced up ball to pack'm in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw Carl Everett hit the last upper deck home run in the Astrodome in ‘99 and I swear it was still rising, was ridiculous and nobody was up there so it took a few minutes for people to get to the ball.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
On TV, Jose Canseco at Skydome vs the Blue Jays in the playoffs back in the day.

In person, when I was younger George Bell hit a missle at Yankee Stadium that hit the bottom of the Getty sign in LCF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom