Long Goodman article on the program | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Long Goodman article on the program

Reaction Score
The problem with Larrier is that his game is predicated on his being the #1 option. And no team is going to win with him being the #1 option.
I get this, but he also gets out sorts if he isn't the 1st option and throws up a ton of garbage shots it seems.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not pro Ollie, but it's easy. There's a really big buyout. :)

What's this case you speak of? I can think of some marginal things that everybody is aware of that could certainly improve the product on the floor...but what is this mystery case you speak of?

I’m can’t make it credibily but...

- 4 years from title
- Gilbert hurt
- Chill late to party, needs time
- Identify the home run replacement?
- cost of the buyout

I wouldn’t argue it - but it’s better than the emotional response they post now.

C

Chief00

Still waiting chief , you can tell me when Miller was the recruiting coordinator off the top of your head I presume.
For KO’s entire tenure until he got fired. I believe Chief already answered this. It’s not that complicated. For the 5th time Miller was Recruiting Coordinator for KO’s entire tenure until Miller got canned. The years Goodman criticized were all Miller coordinated years. Chief picked up on that despite Goodman not connecting the dots and saying how much recruits loved Miller.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
For KO’s entire tenure until he got fired. I believe Chief already answered this. It’s not that complicated. For the 5th time Miller was Recruiting Coordinator for KO’s entire tenure until Miller got canned. The years Goodman criticized were all Miller coordinated years. Chief picked up on that despite Goodman not connecting the dots and saying how much recruits loved Miller.
Here's the section of the story criticizing recruiting

"....California standout in Daniel Hamilton. Since then, the well seems to have dried up.

UConn's 2016 class was heralded, but Gilbert is on his fourth shoulder surgery. Vance Jackson and Juwan Durham transferred, and a fourth top-100 player from the class, Mamadou Diarra, hardly sees the floor.

Last year's class -- Josh Carlton, Tyler Polley, Isaiah Whaley and Kwintin Williams -- was a far cry from UConn's standards. It was the first time since 2007 that the Huskies didn't land a single top-100 player. Williams chose the Huskies over Big West schools.

Ollie was in the mix for current Kentucky freshman Hamidou Diallo and also had a verbal commitment from freshman guard Makai Ashton-Langford, who ended up choosing Providence. Sources with direct knowledge of both recruitments said Ollie's lack of effort cost him in both cases."

So, last year's class is entirely on Miller? After KO lost the two top targets and most of the class were just warm bodies, brought in after both the exodus of players fleeing KO and Miller's firing?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m can’t make it credibily but...

- 4 years from title
- Gilbert hurt
- Chill late to party, needs time
- Identify the home run replacement?
- cost of the buyout

I wouldn’t argue it - but it’s better than the emotional response they post now.
I don't think I could produce a correct answer if I were asked to identify these "pro-Ollie" posters who don't agree more than disagree with what you've written.
Do such posters exist?
I'm not seeing it.
Would any like to identify themselves for me?

C

Chief00

Here's the section of the story criticizing recruiting

"....California standout in Daniel Hamilton. Since then, the well seems to have dried up.

UConn's 2016 class was heralded, but Gilbert is on his fourth shoulder surgery. Vance Jackson and Juwan Durham transferred, and a fourth top-100 player from the class, Mamadou Diarra, hardly sees the floor.

Last year's class -- Josh Carlton, Tyler Polley, Isaiah Whaley and Kwintin Williams -- was a far cry from UConn's standards. It was the first time since 2007 that the Huskies didn't land a single top-100 player. Williams chose the Huskies over Big West schools.

Ollie was in the mix for current Kentucky freshman Hamidou Diallo and also had a verbal commitment from freshman guard Makai Ashton-Langford, who ended up choosing Providence. Sources with direct knowledge of both recruitments said Ollie's lack of effort cost him in both cases."

So, last year's class is entirely on Miller? After KO lost the two top targets and most of the class were just warm bodies, brought in after both the exodus of players fleeing KO and Miller's firing?

You are dealing with Chief!
The article started appropriately with the Miller coordinator 2012 /2013 class; you started with 2016 - LOL. This years FR class are largely on Miller. The guys who will be FR in Sept 2018 are on Chill.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You are dealing Chief!
The article started appropriately with the Miller coordinator 2012 /2013 class; you started with 2016 - LOL. This years FR class are largely on Miller. The guys who will be FR in Sept 2018 are on Chill.
Goodman wasn't criticizing those classes. And Miller recruited how many of the fab freshman we have right now?Wasn't he the lead guy on MAL, who skipped out once he was let go? Try harder.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No - I’m saying you can’t blame Jackson’s father because if he was the problem it’s Ollie’s fault he was ever involved with the program.

Yeah part of making $3MM is managing parents - how horrible.

There is a case to be made for Ollie to get another season but none of the pro-Ollie people ever make it. They just try to pretend what has happened it’s his fault.

Everything that has happened is his fault. Ev-ree-thing.

Again as before you contradict yourself. On the one hand, you seem to be indicating that Ollie never should have recruited Jackson because he knew, or should have known, that his father's a whack job. On the other hand, you state Ollie should "manage" parents as part of his job for 3 million dollars a year. So which is it? Either he never plays for UCONN because dad is too much to deal with, or you offer him a schollie and learn to deal with dad.

As for making the argument for Ollie to get another year, I personally won't, pending the final outcome this season. However, your premise that everything is Ollie's fault is patently absurd, unless you're arguing he went out on the court last year and deliberately tore Larrier's ACL, and knocked Gilbert's shoulder out of its socket, and somehow caused all the other injuries.

I will, as I've indicated before, say that in my view, Ollie wildly exceeded expectations in Years 1 and 2, regressed in Year 3, returned to acceptable (top 32 finish) in Year 4, and deserves a free pass due to all the injuries in Year 5. He has no excuses left, if you consider last season's injuries an excuse, for Year 6. To me, that's one bad season out of his first four, a wash for Year 5, and a clearly bad season so far in Year 6, trending downward toward the finish line. If it plays out the way it looks to be headed, it's time for a change.

Reaction Score
Again as before you contradict yourself. On the one hand, you seem to be indicating that Ollie never should have recruited Jackson because he knew, or should have known, that his father's a whack job. On the other hand, you state Ollie should "manage" parents as part of his job for 3 million dollars a year. So which is it? Either he never plays for UCONN because dad is too much to deal with, or you offer him a schollie and learn to deal with dad.

As for making the argument for Ollie to get another year, I personally won't, pending the final outcome this season. However, your premise that everything is Ollie's fault is patently absurd, unless you're arguing he went out on the court last year and deliberately tore Larrier's ACL, and knocked Gilbert's shoulder out of its socket, and somehow caused all the other injuries.

I will, as I've indicated before, say that in my view, Ollie wildly exceeded expectations in Years 1 and 2, regressed in Year 3, returned to acceptable (top 32 finish) in Year 4, and deserves a free pass due to all the injuries in Year 5. He has no excuses left, if you consider last season's injuries an excuse, for Year 6. To me, that's one bad season out of his first four, a wash for Year 5, and a clearly bad season so far in Year 6, trending downward toward the finish line. If it plays out the way it looks to be headed, it's time for a change.

Ignore who wasn't here and consider who was.

Last year's team had a sophomore Jalen Adams, seniors Purvis, Facey, and Brimah, as well as sophomore Enoch and freshmen Jackson, Vital, and Durham. You don't think that team should have at least contended for an NCAAT appearance?

By the way, your "acceptable" year 4 was a team that underachieved for about 30 games before Adams's miracle shot.

That's 4 sub-par years in a row, including lows that the program hasn't experienced in 30 years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Good grief. Whatever buddy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Ignore who wasn't here and consider who was.

Last year's team had a sophomore Jalen Adams, seniors Purvis, Facey, and Brimah, as well as sophomore Enoch and freshmen Jackson, Vital, and Durham. You don't think that team should have at least contended for an NCAAT appearance?

By the way, your "acceptable" year 4 was a team that underachieved for about 30 games before Adams's miracle shot.

That's 4 sub-par years in a row, including lows that the program hasn't experienced in 30 years.

Not with injuries to a guy who would have started at PG (Gilbert) another scorer (Larrier), another big body to use off the bench (Diarra), and nagging injuries to other players for the entire season or large parts of it, including our best player (Adams). We had stretches of weeks at a time where we suited up only six scholarship players. Adams had to play out of position at PG, and Enoch never panned out. I actually think the team overachieved to reach the AAC semis and play a reasonably close game to get to the championship game, given the crushing string of injuries. Yes, it was a subpar year based on long term results, but it would have likely included several more wins with Gilbert and Larrier available for most or all of the season.

Reaction Score

I connected the dots and you are saying Ollie cannot recruit. Goodman connected the dots in there was no reason for those players to stay or come to UCONN if Miller was not there. This years class is not on Miller except possibly Polley and Carlton.

The head coach is supposed to close the deal. Diallo got recruited by Cal......Why couldn't Ollie close the deal with Diallo?

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Not in the least...actually laughing at what a moran you are...please keep the posts coming they sure are comical!

What's a moran? :confused:

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yeah this is what I basically said earlier. It may have been better for KO to get NC #4 now instead of in 2014.

I get the feeling Ollie started to believe his own press clippings and thought players would come to him.

C

Chief00

I connected the dots and you are saying Ollie cannot recruit. Goodman connected the dots in there was no reason for those players to stay or come to UCONN if Miller was not there. This years class is not on Miller except possibly Polley and Carlton.

The head coach is supposed to close the deal. Diallo got recruited by Cal.Why couldn't Ollie close the deal with Diallo?
Again Miller was the “Lead Recruiter” 2012 to when Chill took over in March 2017. Chill is responsible for the 2018/2019 FR. You can’t hold Chill responsible for the current first year guys.

Reaction Score
Again Miller was the “Lead Recruiter” 2012 to when Chill took over in March 2017. Chill is responsible for the 2018/2019 FR. You can’t hold Chill responsible for the current first year guys.

Miller was gone in 3/17.........three of the class were signed after....one in may and two in september (if my memory is correct)....how is that on Miller

I would assume that Chill had to close the deal on those targeted by Miller or look else where........do we know these were the guys Miller was hoping to bring here or did they all lose interest and Chill and Ollie began fresh

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what your bone is with Glenn. The HC is ultimately responsible for who the program targets. To lay that at any assistant coach’s feet is a bit ignorant and convenient to your dislike of Miller. The assistants are indeed responsible for a large role in the initial scouting of prospects and knowing what’s a good fit for the program, but they can’t make the head coach recruit or work at landing said prospects. Ollie only wanted to recruit guys who were already interested in UConn and even then, the tough battles weren’t his cup of tea. Chalk it up to him wanting to play golf with retired teammates or wanting to follow Geno’s lead of an “easier summer,” but the recruiting issues you speak of start and end with Kevin Ollie. Sorry to break it to you.

Reaction Score
For someone that's new to the men's board but certainly not new to enjoying college basketball do most boneyarders want KO gone? Percentage?

C

Chief00

I’m not sure what your bone is with Glenn. The HC is ultimately responsible for who the program targets. To lay that at any assistant coach’s feet is a bit ignorant and convenient to your dislike of Miller. The assistants are indeed responsible for a large role in the initial scouting of prospects and knowing what’s a good fit for the program, but they can’t make the head coach recruit or work at landing said prospects. Ollie only wanted to recruit guys who were already interested in UConn and even then, the tough battles weren’t his cup of tea. Chalk it up to him wanting to play golf with retired teammates or wanting to follow Geno’s lead of an “easier summer,” but the recruiting issues you speak of start and end with Kevin Ollie. Sorry to break it to you.

Glen can’t have it both ways - spoon feed reporters how recruits loved him - then disassociate himself from results.
ChiefCertified#

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Glen can’t have it both ways - spoon feed reporters how recruits loved him - then disassociate himself from results.
ChiefCertified#
You're a box of rocks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom