London or Paris | Page 3 | The Boneyard

London or Paris

Reaction Score
We're heading overseas in August for a Northern European cruise out of Dover.

Plan is to head over a few days early and spend some time in either London or Paris - can't really decide.

We're not really interested in food, so that's not a factor. We like nice, clean hotels. Emphasis on clean. It has to be clean. If it's not clean, my wife might fly home. Clean. Not quaint. Clean. (Clean)

London is easier - Dover is just a 70 mile train ride away.

Paris is a little harder - would have to take a train to Calais and then take the ferry to Dover. Not sure of the time needed, but that seems like it would bite into one of our two days.

I like to be set in the city that the cruise departs from at least one night in advance, so we'll spend one day in Dover. From the pictures, Dover looks a lot like a place that you would not want to spend more than one night in.

Advice?
Go to Paris spend a day or two. Take the train through the chunnel to Londo, it's only three hours. Hit London for a couple of days. Then head to Dover for the cruise.

Reaction Score
Nah, the Chinese mostly just touch everything in the buffet and refuse to understand the concept of queueing.

Americans are loud, refuse to attempt any language other then English and can't help but mock local cuisine and cultural norms in front of the locals. But, we tip well.
Hah! After a decade in Asia and several years on the mainland, I'll go with direct experiences and inconvenient insights. While I avoid buffets at all costs, Chinese ignorance of queuing concepts or more accurately expeditiously putting themselves ahead of others barely touches on the worst or least acceptable behaviors by most reasonably educated, developed western standards.

Yikes Yanks: IMHO, far too many cringe worthy Yanks sadly exist whether they hold their first or nth passport or none at all. Combo of decades of being the globe's top dog, lame education for a few too many, rubbish parenting of late, resulting general deterioration in acceptable behavioral standards, etc. No shocker, luckily not a heckuva lot of my closest expat friends hold blue or any other colored US bald eagle, arrows and olive branch bedecked passports. Maybe they're the lucky ones! ;)

Reaction Score
As if Scandinavian social democracies don’t have their fair share of lower-end trash, yet guessing they were not relatively open-minded, youngish female hotties. And, you sir were not so young nor a slightly lower standard of your current self at the time.QUOTE]

The one thing I leaned up college kids from the upper Nordics (Scandinavia sans Denmak) is if you go skiing with them in the Alps and they say that they are not really good skiers, they are comparing themselves to Olympic gold medal winners from back home. When I said I wasn't a good skier, I meant I would be lucky to make it down a black trail some blazing hot Norwegian blonde (even in a snowsuit) was trying to talk me into taking without ending up in the hospital.

Reaction Score
You've been hanging around the wrong Brits.

Things I've learned over the years:
- never buy a round for a Scotsman.
- Aussies are bad drunks.

Never mind the Scots, but a drink for an Irishman and he's a friend for life.

As for the Aussies, there were a bunch of them in the city in France I studied in and then backpacked with a bunch in Spain after the semester ended. They were a great group. Only bad vibes was after a day scuba diving in the Med and a lot of sangria at night, the best looking (my opinion) lass took me to bed. Not sure if her friends were jealous or substitute-brother mad at me the next day; but after neither of us made a big deal of it the next day (also, one of the Aussie gentleman had been sleeping with one of my UConn classmates for months) and a round of drinks that I bought later, everyone went back to the usual.

Reaction Score
I like Dukes in London, go to the bar and order a vespar, you won't be disappointed.

Reaction Score

As for the Aussies, there were a bunch of them in the city in France I studied in and then backpacked with a bunch in Spain after the semester ended. They were a great group. Only bad vibes was after a day scuba diving in the Med and a lot of sangria at night, the best looking (my opinion) lass took me to bed. Not sure if her friends were jealous or substitute-brother mad at me the next day; but after neither of us made a big deal of it the next day (also, one of the Aussie gentleman had been sleeping with one of my UConn classmates for months) and a round of drinks that I bought later, everyone went back to the usual.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We just left London, heading to Dover.

There’s a soccer game in London - you should have seen the human wreckage that got off the train as we were getting on. This is tailgating on a level we do not know.

Our flight to London was badly delayed so we didn’t get there until about three on Thursday. We figured out the tube, dropped the luggage at the hotel and then went straight back to whatever area all the tourist stuff was located.

Bought fast line tix for the London Eye, saw what we could see for a few hours and then went back to the hotel - Park Grand London Kensington, or something like that.

Went to a pub that looked British and tasted American. Their take on Nachos was interesting.

Yesterday, we busted out early, went to Buckingham Palace. Did the Royal Day Out. Saw the State Rooms, Mews, Garden and Gallery. The Gallery is hosting Da Vinci’s sketches right now - amazing.

Went to Churchill’s war rooms after that.

Kind of getting late at that point, so we bought online tix to the Tower of London. Boat raced the Tower, basically closed the place by being the last on line to see the Crown Jewels. Left the Tower - saw that there are boat tours right there. Took one.

Got back to the hotel at about 9. Asked the front desk if there was an actual British pub we could head to. There was - King’s Head Pub. Awesome. I don’t know how they manage to fry a fish that much better than we do, but they do. Their chips were cooked three times...boiled, baked and then fried. Seemed like overkill, but tasty. The peas were green. Beyond that, I don’t know.

Got back to the hotel at about 11.

Now we’re on the train to Dover. I’m sitting in the midst of what appears to be some sort of reunion. The organizer is nervous and jumpy and too near me which is making me nervous and jumpy.

We go back to London in a week. Not sure what we’ll do.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We just left London, heading to Dover.

There’s a soccer game in London - you should have seen the human wreckage that got off the train as we were getting on. This is tailgating on a level we do not know.

Our flight to London was badly delayed so we didn’t get there until about three on Thursday. We figured out the tube, dropped the luggage at the hotel and then went straight back to whatever area all the tourist stuff was located.

Bought fast line tix for the London Eye, saw what we could see for a few hours and then went back to the hotel - Park Grand London Kensington, or something like that.

Went to a pub that looked British and tasted American. Their take on Nachos was interesting.

Yesterday, we busted out early, went to Buckingham Palace. Did the Royal Day Out. Saw the State Rooms, Mews, Garden and Gallery. The Gallery is hosting Da Vinci’s sketches right now - amazing.

Went to Churchill’s war rooms after that.

Kind of getting late at that point, so we bought online tix to the Tower of London. Boat raced the Tower, basically closed the place by being the last on line to see the Crown Jewels. Left the Tower - saw that there are boat tours right there. Took one.

Got back to the hotel at about 9. Asked the front desk if there was an actual British pub we could head to. There was - King’s Head Pub. Awesome. I don’t know how they manage to fry a fish that much better than we do, but they do. Their chips were cooked three times...boiled, baked and then fried. Seemed like overkill, but tasty. The peas were green. Beyond that, I don’t know.

Got back to the hotel at about 11.

Now we’re on the train to Dover. I’m sitting in the midst of what appears to be some sort of reunion. The organizer is nervous and jumpy and too near me which is making me nervous and jumpy.

We go back to London in a week. Not sure what we’ll do.
You weren't kidding when you said you are get out and go people. That's an 8893 dream itinerary, but my posse doesn't have the legs for that pace. Can you guys adopt me?

British Museum
Exactly what I was going to recommend. British Library is right there, too; I believe they have Da Vinci's notebooks there now.

And Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral.

Oh, and definitely see a play at the Globe if all possible. Get the groundling tickets. They are cheap and on the floor in front of the stage; you have to stand, but it's BYOB and food. Really a great experience; one of the highlights for our whole family.

Reaction Score
walk the canals
check out borough market
lots of breweries in hackney if that's your thing
see a soccer game

Reaction Score

I'm sorry -- blazing hot Norwegian blondes had to TRY to talk you into something? What am I missing?

Reaction Score

I know I've spent too much time in the Boneyard over the years when I hear other people's life stories and know that I've heard them before.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A propos of nothing, but every time I see the thread title I think about the song "Pop Muzik" because of the "New York, London, Paris, Munich; Everybody talk about pop muzik" line.

You're welcome for the ear worm:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sure, but is Dover still on the itinerary?

We’re wrapping up the vacation - got back to London tonight, got to the Globe for a show and then an early flight out tomorrow.

Will recap later, but Dover.....is a bit of a gem.

Reaction Score
Will recap later, but Dover.....is a bit of a gem.
White Cliffs & WW II history yup, and sure hope the city itself’s undergone massive gentrification in the last decade

Reaction Score
White Cliffs & WW II history yup, and sure hope the city itself’s undergone massive gentrification in the last decade

I can't imagine Brexit doing Dover any good except for causging massive jams as everyone has to deal with customs again...

Reaction Score
Looking into a trip to London this spring with my daughter. Lots of good info here.

Is a trip to Stonehenge worth it? Looks like it's not far and there are bus tours that are half a day. Or is it just a big pile of rocks?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Looking into a trip to London this spring with my daughter. Lots of good info here.

Is a trip to Stonehenge worth it? Looks like it's not far and there are bus tours that are half a day. Or is it just a big pile of rocks?
I wanted to do it on our trip and it was one of very few things that I regretted not being able to do, but we just couldn’t make it work during the window we had, which apparently included some major Druid event that drove demand through the roof during that time. I would like to see it, and we saw some similar sites in Ireland, but I was disappointed to read a lot about how much they have restricted close access to the rocks at Stonehenge. If I did it, I wanted to give us the best chance to feel why it’s so special, so I wanted to do the option that gets you early and closer access, but there were none available for our dates because of that event, and we couldn’t justify the trip just to look at them from a distance. Mind you, I have a wife and three daughters, so that figured into my decision about whether it was worth it to drag them there for that. Once I determined that we couldn’t book the special access, I decided it wasn’t worth it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stonehenge is such an overrated "experience". But...…...………..if you are in the area and have nothing else to do, you can scratch it off a bucket list. I wouldn't even call it a tourist trap because you have to opt in to going there.
At the end of the day, you drive by some hills, come to a stop, pay your admission and walk around some rocks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Stonehenge is such an overrated "experience". But...…...………..if you are in the area and have nothing else to do, you can scratch it off a bucket list. I wouldn't even call it a tourist trap because you have to opt in to going there.
At the end of the day, you drive by some hills, come to a stop, pay your admission and walk around some rocks.

Yeah, but if you're into stuff like "why was this so important to build that they had to invent ways to mine the stones, move them almost 50 miles, and figure out how to erect the things using maths that should've been foreign to them"... I find that stuff pretty interesting, like that mound in Ireland with a tiny hole that only lets a beam of light through on the solstices like in Indiana Jones. I think you could come up with some interesting conversations to have with the kids on why trade skills are important ;-)

Lots of other stone circles in England (not henges), and some closer than Stonehenge, but they're pretty boring, although if you've never seen an actual thatched roof house... kids might be interested in that kinda thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom