LOL. And it starts again... | The Boneyard

LOL. And it starts again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just my $.02. I know it seems like easy pickings of low hanging fruit, but instead of focusing on Duke's inability to make it past the elite 8, how about at least giving them credit for continuing to recruit really good players year in and year out? I think we all can agree that Joanne McCallie is NOT very good at developing players or coaching during games, BUT do we really just expect her to bury her head in the sand and stop being the HC at Duke?

It's been reported that she has a nice relationship with Geno. In face, a few years back IIRC, she had the choice of playing UCONN or Tennessee and chose UCONN because of her fondness for Geno. Regardless of whether she's a great coach or not, or whether she has a way of communicating that makes us chuckle, she's never said a snide thing about Geno or UCONN, has constantly heaped praise on our program, all while routinely getting the tar beaten out of her by our teams.

I get that she says dumb things, and it's super easy to laugh, and I totally get why Duke fans would dislike her. But on the list of head coaches or programs that are at, or near, the top of my "dislike-o-meter", she's nowhere on that list. It seems to me that she and Duke are fairly likeable, but maybe it's just my fondness of the Duke WCBB fans I've met that has helped me root for their program so much...

Reaction Score
Just my $.02. I know it seems like easy pickings of low hanging fruit, but instead of focusing on Duke's inability to make it past the elite 8, how about at least giving them credit for continuing to recruit really good players year in and year out? I think we all can agree that Joanne McCallie is NOT very good at developing players or coaching during games, BUT do we really just expect her to bury her head in the sand and stop being the HC at Duke?

It's been reported that she has a nice relationship with Geno. In face, a few years back IIRC, she had the choice of playing UCONN or Tennessee and chose UCONN because of her fondness for Geno. Regardless of whether she's a great coach or not, or whether she has a way of communicating that makes us chuckle, she's never said a snide thing about Geno or UCONN, has constantly heaped praise on our program, all while routinely getting the tar beaten out of her by our teams.

I get that she says dumb things, and it's super easy to laugh, and I totally get why Duke fans would dislike her. But on the list of head coaches or programs that are at, or near, the top of my "dislike-o-meter", she's nowhere on that list. It seems to me that she and Duke are fairly likeable, but maybe it's just my fondness of the Duke WCBB fans I've met that has helped me root for their program so much...

Actually she said she's probably not going to schedule us past the agreed schedule bc were in a weaker conference and it won't do her any good.

Reaction Score
Actually she said she's probably not going to schedule us past the agreed schedule bc were in a weaker conference and it won't do her any good.

Really? Any lead or article about that?

Reaction Score

Points well taken Eric. I think one needs to remember that a tweet like this is really for internal (duke fans) consumption.

Reaction Score

I would take it a step further esd. I think we have too often become mean spirited in some cases against coaches, refs and announcers. Why do we keep criticizing, mocking and taking pleasure in others' failures or just shortcomings? We don't need this; we're Number 1. Geno doesn't do this; he's offered many coaches to come over and watch his practices. He's said several times we need to build up WCBB. I've always thought that's it's easier to be a good loser than to be a good winner. Let's try to show a little more class.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Joanne P. McCallie @CoachPDuke
Excited for today! Special visitors this weekend to Duke and some great team time. #thefutureishere

Every time a recruit visits, the word "special" is used in her Tweets. It is always "special visitors," "special guests," or "special people."

The only thing that is special is McCallie's coaching...the short, yellow bus kind of special.

Honestly, "special" is her recruiting word, while "lessons learned" is her post-loss phrase. If everyone is so special and all of these lessons are learned, why are the results the same or worse year after year?

Reaction Score
I would take it a step further esd. I think we have too often become mean spirited in some cases against coaches, refs and announcers. Why do we keep criticizing, mocking and taking pleasure in others' failures or just shortcomings? We don't need this; we're Number 1. Geno doesn't do this; he's offered many coaches to come over and watch his practices. He's said several times we need to build up WCBB. I've always thought that's it's easier to be a good loser than to be a good winner. Let's try to show a little more class.
+1000

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every time a recruit visits, the word "special" is used in her Tweets. It is always "special visitors," "special guests," or "special people."

The only thing that is special is McCallie's coaching...the short, yellow bus kind of special.

Honestly, "special" is her recruiting word, while "lessons learned" is her post-loss phrase. If everyone is so special and all of these lessons are learned, why are the results the same or worse year after year?

You have my sympathy pal. Can you imagine would Walz would do with what you folks get year after year.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

The short, yellow bus kind of special! You should be replacing Letterman. LMFOAO

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score

LOL Cam. What you obviously don't appreciate is that SHE is special!!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Cam imagine what Geno can do with the All Americans.....hint hint rhymes with "Ine Ampionships". If only Duke took him seriously when he applied for the coaching position.....what could've have been (again think "Ine Ampionships) :);):p

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

"The short, yellow bus kind of special" Really?
What exactly does that mean?
Are you ridiculing McCallie or the millions of kids who take the short bus every day because. through no fault of their own, their special needs make it impossible for them to take the long bus with typical kids?

Reaction Score

I dont know why she would care what conference UConn is in. It does not affect her.

What I did find is that she said because the ACC is getting stronger ( with Nd, Lou), she might not want as tough of a non- conference schedule. That makes more sense.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/coach-mccallie-on-a-number-of-uconn-duke-topics/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom