Log Jam at QB | The Boneyard

Log Jam at QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just curious about what happened way back when Richard Lagow left in a lurch for OK State as a walk on. Did he have an inkling into the way the fire drill of a season was to unfold? Get out now while the getting was good. Like he saw a general lack of talent on the O line and elsewhere. Plus the coaches were not up to the Texas standards he was used to being around/playing for even in HS ball. Granted the group of QB's ahead of him signaled a long road but were there other factors in play? Just wondering did he have that feeling of an 0 and whatever start to the season? Normally I'm not that into rehashing old stories but this season has turned into that porta potty of all seasons.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Quick summary....he (and his family) didn't feel they were getting a fair shot. They implied that the coaches were playing favorites with certain players and Lagow wasn't given a fair chance to compete for playing time (due to favoritism and promises that were made to players when they were recruited).

How much of what they have to say you want to believe is up for debate. But that is the gist of it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Pasqualoni was not up to the standards of Texas high schools. That's why he was an NFL coach for a decade.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Pasqualoni was not up to the standards of Texas high schools. That's why he was an NFL coach for a decade.

He wasn't a head coach at that level though. To me that's a big difference.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Par for the Pasqualoni course would be Lagow becoming a star at Oklahoma State.

Lagow apparently bristled when told he would be required to carry Coach Deleone's clipboard on the sidelines. Showing any lack of respect toward Coach Deleone bought you a permanent seat on the bench and seventh-string QB status, behind the walk-ons.

Reaction Score
He wasn't a head coach at that level though. To me that's a big difference.

We're comparing high school coaches to NFL defensive coordinators here though.

Reaction Score
When I read the title I was thinking "log jam. At qb?" It's because Whitmer isn't accurate enough. And the others aren't ready to play". I'm not sure we are set at qb for the future. Maybe one of our Ct boys will step up. But the real problem is we have no play makers on either side of the ball. Rb don't have break away speed. We can't separate and we can't through screens to them because they aren't play makers. Dbs aren't lock down nor make plays. Yawin is it.

When you have no play makers you need to control the line of scrimmage. Well we are getting dominated at the point of attack on both sides of the ball.

Bottom line, we need talent on both sides of the ball. And I still don't know if we have the right qb in the fold. Hard to tell at this point. Whitmer has played the best no doubt about that. But when your losing qb takes the hit.

Reaction Score
Lagow and Nebrich will probably play in the NFL.

Big reach here, and I felt that Nebrich should have been allowed to take his lumps here much the same way they are doing with Boyle now. NFL qb jobs are far and few and the back up jobs are almost always given to veterans. Your probably joshing around though.

pj

Reaction Score
Lagow thought, first, that he'd been promised he would be the only QB recruit this year and then they brought in 3 with Boyle and Taylor; and then he thought the coaches had gotten Boyle in by guaranteeing him an opportunity to play, and inferred that it wasn't a fair competition and he would be slotted behind Boyle even if he was a better QB; and then when he left he said he didn't feel comfortable here.

The way things played out, it seems like his concerns were justified. Disappointing because Lagow was probably the best prepared QB recruit we've had and I bet the next head coach would love to have him on the roster. If he'd held on through one season, it might have been a totally different situation.

It was a mistake not to give Nebrich a chance earlier too. He at least might have become something.

Reaction Score
Boyle needs a year, a good offense (i.e. good scheme), and he'll be very good. You can't expect a freshman to flourish in these conditions.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The way things played out, it seems like his concerns were justified. Disappointing because Lagow was probably the best prepared QB recruit we've had and I bet the next head coach would love to have him on the roster. If he'd held on through one season, it might have been a totally different situation.

This ^^^

I remember reading about the 7 vs. 7 league that he was absolutely ripping up, as well as the fact that he was battle tested at Plano. Not just that, but he was a fantastic ambassador for UConn on the recruiting trail, especially on the Twitter trail. Man, I would have loved to see him get some game time this year to see what we would have been working with.

As for the new coaching staff, I wonder how plausible it is for them to get Lagow to come back? I've never seen anything like that in college football, but never say never...

Reaction Score
Boyle needs a year, a good offense (i.e. good scheme), and he'll be very good. You can't expect a freshman to flourish in these conditions.

I still have high hopes for Boyle, coming into a tough situation as a true freshman. But there is absolutely no scheme that will allow him to throw as inaccurate as he has and be successful. He was missing by a wide margin the last two games, to open receivers.

Reaction Score
This ^^^

I remember reading about the 7 vs. 7 league that he was absolutely ripping up, as well as the fact that he was battle tested at Plano. Not just that, but he was a fantastic ambassador for UConn on the recruiting trail, especially on the Twitter trail. Man, I would have loved to see him get some game time this year to see what we would have been working with.

As for the new coaching staff, I wonder how plausible it is for them to get Lagow to come back? I've never seen anything like that in college football, but never say never...

That would never happen, nor should it. I wish Richard the best of luck at Oklahoma State, but have zero desire to see him return to Storrs.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That would never happen, nor should it. I wish Richard the best of luck at Oklahoma State, but have zero desire to see him return to Storrs.

What do you mean by "would never happen"? From an NCAA standpoint? Or from a coach / player decision standpoint?

Reaction Score
I still have high hopes for Boyle, coming into a tough situation as a true freshman. But there is absolutely no scheme that will allow him to throw as inaccurate as he has and be successful. He was missing by a wide margin the last two games, to open receivers.

There is a scheme. Accuracy depends on knowing where your receiver is going to be.

Reaction Score
There is a scheme. Accuracy depends on knowing where your receiver is going to be.

He was throwing curveballs to receivers on 5 yard routes. Standing in front of him. That is not a scheme issue. I could buy the argument that it is a timing issue on the intermediate crossing patterns he continues to misfire on, but not the 5 yards and sit routes.

I am just hopeful that accuracy on throws like that is something that can be improved on.

Reaction Score
He was throwing curveballs to receivers on 5 yard routes. Standing in front of him. That is not a scheme issue. I could buy the argument that it is a timing issue on the intermediate crossing patterns he continues to misfire on, but not the 5 yards and sit routes.

I am just hopeful that accuracy on throws like that is something that can be improved on.

Tom Brady, the most accurate passer in the NFL, has had the same trouble this year. Ain't connecting on very short passes.

Reaction Score
Tom Brady, the most accurate passer in the NFL, has had the same trouble this year. Ain't connecting on very short passes.

How short are the passes? 5 yards? Is he woefully missing the receivers or are they dropping them?

Watch the first half again. The receivers are stationary for Boyle. He throws it to them while they are stationary (not a timing route), he is missing wide right. In the UCF game he was sailing them over their heads. It is not scheme.

Reaction Score
Big reach here, and I felt that Nebrich should have been allowed to take his lumps here much the same way they are doing with Boyle now. NFL qb jobs are far and few and the back up jobs are almost always given to veterans. Your probably joshing around though.
Yeah, half kidding and poking fun at the prior posts about PP/GDL ignoring certain QB's, playing favorites, etc and then some dildo talking about PP's years in the NFL like he was Vince Lombardi. Then again, a certain 3rd round draft choice out of Moorehead State, turned into a decent QB for the Giants some years back, (some said too small or not fast enough) and I will bet that neither PP or GDL were on the Giants scouting staff when he was signed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, half kidding and poking fun at the prior posts about PP/GDL ignoring certain QB's, playing favorites, etc and then some dildo talking about PP's years in the NFL like he was Vince Lombardi. Then again, a certain 3rd round draft choice out of Moorehead State, turned into a decent QB for the Giants some years back, (some said too small or not fast enough) and I will bet that neither PP or GDL were on the Giants scouting staff when he was signed.
Who was the third round draft choice from Morehead St? I only remember one QB from Morehead St ever being on the Giants roster (I can go back to the late 1960's) and he was neither small (actually a very good size and quite tough for a QB) nor a third round pick (a first rounder who drew quite a few boos from the audience when that pick was announced).

http://www.footballdb.com/draft.html?yr=1979

Reaction Score
Who was the third round draft choice from Morehead St? I only remember one QB from Morehead St ever being on the Giants roster (I can go back to the late 1960's) and he was neither small (actually a very good size and quite tough for a QB) nor a third round pick (a first rounder who drew quite a few boos from the audience when that pick was announced).

http://www.footballdb.com/draft.html?yr=1979
My mistake, mean't to say Bill Walsh had planned on taking him in the 3rd round instead of Joe Montana. Some said he didn't have good speed. I always felt that his toughness is what made him a great one.

Reaction Score
Nebrich's back up had 318 yards passing in three quarters today after Nebrich went down with a leg injury. I'm thinking Fordham is the ideal place to play QB. Lots of time to throw and receivers that get open and catch the ball. In the little he played here he looked panicked by a pass rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom