Lobo and Lawson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lobo and Lawson

Reaction Score
I just can't say anything bad about either of them. Some folks have earned all our love and support, and they are really, really, really high on that list.

I agree 100% and who years ago would have ever dreamed of them being a team? :confused:
I would bet a few coffees that they both hate what they have to do as well as the listeners. It has to be the hope they would love to talk more about the game going on but have something positive to say about both teams. The directors run the show and if they call for filler conversation, that's what we get. My guess is the only thing worse than broadcasting a blowout is being the losing team and staff. ;)

Reaction Score
need to stop babbling. Love them both but, geez.
The game was a nationally televised embarrassment. What do you expect the announcers to do when confronted with this kind of game? Humiliate Cincinnati by focusing on the second period bagel? Rebecca and Kara were trying to be kind. Perhaps they should have spent on air time analyzing the joke that the AAC has become.

Reaction Score
Yes pairing those two very good basketball people is proving a detriment to the broadcasts. Instead of doing the game they sound like just another one of ESPN's "Buddy" talk shows. I love them both as well but working together is not a treat for the people watching the game.
They’ve pulled this crap all year long. Kara used to be really good. She seems to think she’s arrived and doesn’t realize she’s boring and sloooow with REBECCA. Some stuff is funny but they have no rhythm.

Reaction Score
The game was a nationally televised embarrassment. What do you expect the announcers to do when confronted with this kind of game? Humiliate Cincinnati by focusing on the second period bagel? Rebecca and Kara were trying to be kind. Perhaps they should have spent on air time analyzing the joke that the AAC has become.
Yes it’s time for some of these teams to be humiliated. Maybe being called out will help

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Only use 1 announcer.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
A game like has to be very difficult for an announcer. I also absolutely love this duo. I have complained about announcers without reservation, who don't give us game detail. My complaint has been during games that are closely contested. Games where information concerning play is very important to game progress. This game was decided early and the "babbling" was sidebar entertainment. I did not find it annoying. Could be my bias toward certain personalities?????????

Reaction Score
I find a couple of problems with the announcing crew:
1. Three is too many! There really is no need for two "color announcers", just encourages more off-topic stuff. Would rather have that third person (if they have to have one) as a sideline reporter.
2. The director needs to tell the play-by-play person to call the game. And that person needs to be strong enough to interrupt and do that when necessary. I enjoy some of the chatter, but I also want to know what is going on in the game! I thought Frede does a better job of this than Amin.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know it’s difficult to focus on the game when the score is 43-5, but Rebecca & Kara did get somewhat lost in the tall grass last night. It almost made me wish for the interminable prattling of Doris Burke. :eek:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When Meg came into the game for the first time, did anyone hear these announcers informing us of the substitution? If you did, I missed it. I plan on watching the game again today to make sure it wasn't my hearing. And I doubt that they announced all of Cincy's substitutions but, again, I could be mistaken.

Reaction Score
When Meg came into the game for the first time, did anyone hear these announcers informing us of the substitution? If you did, I missed it. I plan on watching the game again today to make sure it wasn't my hearing. And I doubt that they announced all of Cincy's substitutions but, again, I could be mistaken.

Thought I heard it mentioned about five minutes after she came in. That combo is usually bad but they brought it to a new level last night, and not in a good way

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thought I heard it mentioned about five minutes after she came in. That combo is usually bad but they brought it to a new level last night, and not in a good way
Correct, they did mention it, quite a bit after the fact. It must be hard to hear the "sub in" buzzer while you are talking about something other than the games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Back in ancient times, there used to be one announcer doing games. That announcer provided both “play by play” and “color” commentary. There was no sideline reporter either. Just think of all the money ESPN could save if they reverted back to a single announcer. :)

Reaction Score
I'm really perplexed by this. I guess UConn needs a really close game or a loss as a reality check.

I don't need play-by-play in basketball or baseball (which is why I usually turn off the sound and listen to music while I'm watching). I would like in depth analysis of football plays (which almost never happens, which is why I turn off the sound and listen to music).

But last night, rather than listen to music, I listened to Kara and Rebecca chatter on because I like them so much that I just like the sound of their voices. Really, what can any announcer tell me about a UConn game that I don't already know? That they've changed defenses? that Meg's come into the game? I can see that myself.

Reaction Score
Yes pairing those two very good basketball people is proving a detriment to the broadcasts. Instead of doing the game they sound like just another one of ESPN's "Buddy" talk shows. I love them both as well but working together is not a treat for the people watching the game.
I agree with both sides of the sentiments expressed here.
They are two of the greats of WBB. They also both seem to be amazing people.
But, interspersed in all the chatter (about defense and more), there's a ball game going on. Both need to do a better job of integrating the two.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I'm really perplexed by this. I guess UConn needs a really close game or a loss as a reality check.

I don't need play-by-play in basketball or baseball (which is why I usually turn off the sound and listen to music while I'm watching). I would like in depth analysis of football plays (which almost never happens, which is why I turn off the sound and listen to music).

But last night, rather than listen to music, I listened to Kara and Rebecca chatter on because I like them so much that I just like the sound of their voices. Really, what can any announcer tell me about a UConn game that I don't already know? That they've changed defenses? that Meg's come into the game? I can see that myself.
As usual you make a lot of sense.
But then why do we need announcers /play by play people at all.
I usually truly enjoy both of them, and last night much of it went on for too long. Yes, many of us know the game and see much of it, but they are there because the lived it and know it at another level. Usually they share those insights with us.
So many times as an example KLS threw a beautiful pass (often to AZ) and it wasn't touched on, yet elaborated on. And yes, we all know that and seen it many times before and hopefully more to come, but it got out of hand last night.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Kara and Rebecca are my favorites to announce other than the SNY crew. But yes, they did veer off topic last night although at times I was laughing right along w/them..

Reaction Score
I agree completely. In a game like this, a complete blowout, it's completely appropriate for the announcers to engage in and entertain one another and the audience. I find both Rebecca and Kara high-level announcers who bring perspective, passion and valuable insights to their announcing of the game. More importantly they offer an insight as former players that one often doesn't hear. I enjoyed the back and forth about defense which seemed entirely appropriate when we were watching another phenomenal defensive performance. In particular Rebecca has an authenticity to her announcing, a sense of humor, and an ability to interact with a variety of other on-air personalities. I'm thinking now of her excellent work with Coach Landers who I personally do not care for. Given that she makes him look accessible and interesting. I always enjoy the discussion on this thread. It would seem that the attention devoted to the announcing on this game does reflect a certain level of effectiveness. That said as Huskie fans when we can agree to disagree in a civil manner I find our discussions most engaging.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
With a few exceptions, announcers do not add much insight to a game being played for informed listeners. This is true in all sports, not just basketball. All one can hope for is that they do not make themselves annoying.

The biggest problem to me about Lobo and Lawson is not their banter per se, but their persistent banter over spectacular plays being made by players on the court that went uncommented.

Reaction Score
A game like has to be very difficult for an announcer. I also absolutely love this duo. I have complained about announcers without reservation, who don't give us game detail. My complaint has been during games that are closely contested. Games where information concerning play is very important to game progress. This game was decided early and the "babbling" was sidebar entertainment. I did not find it annoying. Could be my bias toward certain personalities?????????
No in a game like this you are probably justified in wanting to hear anything but the actual play by play especially when Bearcats had the ball. A diversion was needed I'm sure.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Those two are the best!!! My favorites!!!
...excuse Mr./Ms. Fairfield Fan, can I get you another Long Island Ice tea to go with the 3 I previously served you? I can also turn the volume up so you can actually hear the game if you want? :)

Reaction Score
No one wins when the game is this much out of control. With subs in throughout second half and Cin. not doing much right, all you can do is criticize (not good), praise (too much in first half), or try to be funny. Was good at first but did get old. Fix the game, not the announcers.

Very funny line, HJ: "Fix the game, not the announcers." You're right, of course. A really good game needs no commentary, but these crappy AAC events invite all the filler they can get. I would add, in fairness, that Kara and Rebecca are extremely knowledgeable and well-spoken. Amin, however, can barely sit up in his chair and often looks like a disembodied head planted on the table. Short people got no reason to live, as the song goes.

Reaction Score
When Rebecca & Kara were out west at the UCLA vs Oregon game, I thought they did a very nice job announcing. Didn't see the UCONN vs Cincy game, but come on, what is there to say in a game like that? Had Bill Walton been announcing, not a lick of basketball would have come out of his mouth. Bill Walton would've given you some Grateful Dead song lyrics, and told you about his adventures the day before around the geography of Connecticut. Walton is a trip!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
When Rebecca & Kara were out west at the UCLA vs Oregon game, I thought they did a very nice job announcing. Didn't see the UCONN vs Cincy game, but come on, what is there to say in a game like that? Had Bill Walton been announcing, not a lick of basketball would have come out of his mouth. Bill Walton would've given you some Grateful Dead song lyrics, and told you about his adventures the day before around the geography of Connecticut. Walton is a trip!

A trip I never take. Thank God for the mute button so I'm not subjected to "Dollar" Bill's inane blather.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom