Liza Karlen? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Liza Karlen?

Reaction Score
Her recent social media activity (follows and followers) are trending that way. She's being followed by some of their big guns (e.g. Olivia Miles, Maddy Westbeld) and is following people (staffers, non-recruiting assistant coaches) that you usually wouldn't follow unless you're interested in landing at a program.
ND vs UConn about to be really interesting. Jana vs Koval, Sarah/Ice vs Liza. We’re gonna need everyone healthy.

Reaction Score
ND vs UConn about to be really interesting. Jana vs Koval, Sarah/Ice vs Liza. We’re gonna need everyone healthy.
I don’t see Liza being a match for Ice, and certainly not for Jana if she ends up at C as some folks here are forecasting. But the rest of that lineup is formidable.

Reaction Score
I'm not in favor of getting Liza. I know she is a really, really good player, but we already have really, really good players. We were looking for a "Big", and she is not a "Big". I don't want to push back the development of our current players and the players we have worked so hard to recruit. Beers was one thing, and she would have been invaluable, but as far as smaller forwards, we don't need them. We can't keep thinking about the last few years, so we must be optimistic. Bringing in Liza would cause uneasiness among the new kids and may push them to the portal. We have to avoid that, so as far as I'm concerned, we should go with what we have. Period.
We need some help in the post in case some players aren't heeled properly yet. Or get injured this year so I am in favor in bringing in the best available post player to help.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Liza being a match for Ice, and certainly not for Jana if she ends up at C as some folks here are forecasting. But the rest of that lineup is formidable.
Well with no AE, nobody but Ice and Sarah matches her in height down below. And ice’s defense is kind of underrated down below. When her hands were straight up, no shots went in.

Reaction Score
Well with no AE, nobody but Ice and Sarah matches her in height down below. And ice’s defense is kind of underrated down below. When her hands were straight up, no shots went in.
I disagree. i think her defense needs work.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jana is 6-4 (at least), no?

Ice did okay against Karlen in the BET (5-18 and 0-4).

Karlen is a nice player but at 6-2 and more of a finesse player she isn't really what next season's UConn team needs.

Not sure she addresses ND's issues in the lane either but that's their problem.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just like with UConn, ND presents a number of options for Karlen. Marshall is gone. That leaves 5th year seniors Westbeld & Watson along with talented freshman Koval to man the 4/5 spots in the lineup. Westbeld is a lock, Watson was inconsistent this past season for the Irish and Koval is a freshman.

I could easily see Niele Ivey starting Hidalgo, Miles & Citron at G/W with Brandford, etc. off the bench. At F/C I like Westbeld & Karlen as starters with Watson off the bench while Koval learns the ropes.

Not saying that’s what will happen or even if ND gets Karlen. But I do think it’s a realistic scenario if Karlen ends up in South Bend. In any event we need our resident ND The expert to weigh in here. Dillon77, what’s your take?
Very strongly agree that Liza Karlen will work well within Coach Ivey's system and can see her working fluidly with Westbeld and Sonia Citron. Of course, having Olivia Miles dish the ball makes life easier for anyone.

The issue for ND is depth a center. Kylee Watson will not be available to work with incoming frosh Kate Koval, but she just had surgery on what was confirmed to be an ACL injury. Given how players like Olivia Miles and Bri Turner missed entire seasons following similar injuries, it's doubtful anyone will see Ms. Watson this year.

At this point, I see a pretty tight rotation up front with Koval (when they go big) at traditional post or Maddy Westbeld and Karlen at the dual forwards when they go small. You could also see the athletic Cass Prosper play some forward as well.

Let' see if Coach Ivey still has some transfers= up her proverbial sleeve....Liatu King (Pittsburgh) has visited campus, but that was before KK Bransford took herself out of the portal and decided to stay in South Bend.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm not surprised. Somehow I couldn't see her staying in the BE.
I thought that if she was going to leave the BE, and end up in the ACC, she would follow her former coach to VT. Oops.

Reaction Score
Welp. What could have been. Liza should do well with Coach Ivey and the Notre Dame program.

Reaction Score
Congratulations, Liza. We all wish you the best. And we’ll be rooting against you when you come to Storrs! :D:D:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very strongly agree that Liza Karlen will work well within Coach Ivey's system and can see her working fluidly with Westbeld and Sonia Citron. Of course, having Olivia Miles dish the ball makes life easier for anyone.

The issue for ND is depth a center. Kylee Watson will not be available to work with incoming frosh Kate Koval, but she just had surgery on what was confirmed to be an ACL injury. Given how players like Olivia Miles and Bri Turner missed entire seasons following similar injuries, it's doubtful anyone will see Ms. Watson this year.

At this point, I see a pretty tight rotation up front with Koval (when they go big) at traditional post or Maddy Westbeld and Karlen at the dual forwards when they go small. You could also see the athletic Cass Prosper play some forward as well.

Let' see if Coach Ivey still has some transfers= up her proverbial sleeve....Liatu King (Pittsburgh) has visited campus, but that was before KK Bransford took herself out of the portal and decided to stay in South Bend.
I didn’t know Watson is questionable next season. All the more reason for ND to secure Karlen, who will start alongside Westbeld, while Koval figures things out.

Reaction Score
So I guess now it's time to start a "Let's build false hope for Maryam Dauda" thread?
The well is pretty dry now. Karlen might have been the last of the one year potential upgrades over Ayanna and or Ice, which I think she would have been. There still are one year insurance types, players that would only play if injuries took out several big candidates, but it is difficult now to improve on the bench bigs we currently have without taking a player for two or more years, which has its own problem with limiting 2025 recruits.

It would probably take a player of a least Dauda's or Barkers level to make that even potentially worthwhile because of two years vs one, and Barker supposedly hates us, so the fat lady may not be singing yet, but i think she is starting to warm up.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I didn’t know Watson is questionable next season. All the more reason for ND to secure Karlen, who will start alongside Westbeld, while Koval figures things out.
Key for Notre Dame is they will now be 7 deep with a guard, Bransford and a forward center, Karlen/Koval coming off the bench.

Other than South Carolina that's pretty much what the top teams played with this year. With good health ND now has an excellent team to put on the floor - Miles,Hidalgo, Citron, Westbeld, Karlen/Koval. That's 4 All-America caliber players plus one all big east. In a perfect world they would try to pick up a center, but this is already pretty good.

Reaction Score
She will start for ND. She's not going to be a backup. She isn't 6-4. Which South Carolina phobia has made a lot of fans believe is absolute necessity. A better rebounder and scorer than either the departed Marshall or the injured Watson. Plus 5 fouls while Koval ripens and Westbeld can play there too. It's a good pickup for them.

Reaction Score
Agree. From what we saw last season, Liza Karlen will run rings around Brady and pretty much dominate that match up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree. From what we saw last season, Liza Karlen will run rings around Brady and pretty much dominate that match up.
Evidently, you must have missed the Big East conference semifinals. With Aaliyah out with a broken nose, Ice played all 40 minutes, holding Karlen to 5/18 shooting and 12 pts, scoring 10 pts herself on 3/8 shooting, while also making the All-Tournament team.

I’m not sure who was running rings around whom, but once Ice was forced into the lineup at the end of the season, she played exceptionally well.

Reaction Score
An article in the Hartford Courant listed three players still in the portal that the Huskies might be interested in. One was Liza Karlen. I think that Geno would be reluctant to take a player from another Big East team. He has a long history, and respect, for the Big East conference and it's players and fellow coaches. Which is why I feel that he might not make an offer to Liza. I'm curious to hear what other Boneyarders think.
I think you are right. I heard no rumors that UCONN was interested in Morrow and we knew she was a top post player.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Not doing that would be anti-everything Geno is about.
I would think that most of us played sports, some may have even coached as well. All great coaches do a year end review if you will with each player , in all sports , and even some good coaches too. Bad coaches don’t communicate with their players and simply don’t care about playing time, effort, passion and excellence. Geno has an open door policy and welcomes discussion via the student athlete. I’m sure he is tough, but fair. We all know playing time is won in practice, 5 play at a time and the rest watch and learn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom