• 68-95 to St. John’s
    • 64-97 to Towson
    • 64-84 to UMass Lowell

OFFENSE: 351st in efficiency
  • 98th in offensive tempo
  • 141st in FTA/FGA ratio
  • 338th in 3PA/FGA: Only ~29.1% of FGAs from deep
  • All other metrics ranked 250th or lower
  • Only two players average 1.0 3PM (Maletic and Burns)

DEFENSE: 322nd in efficiency
  • 5th in quickest opponent tempo (average possession length 15.7 seconds)
  • 154th in opponent 3p% (32.7%)
  • 159th in non-steal TO% (9.7%)
  • Almost all other metrics ranked 300th or worse

A Look at the Roster

1670617534305.png

LIU was subject to a weird offseason when they fired Derek Kellogg (the former UMass coach, who is now back at UMass under Frank Martin) just days before July and replaced him with G-League Ignite director Rod Strickland.

Back to basketball, LIU is a bad team, but their roster construction is interesting with most of their lineups lacking true guards:

XhsKsStExlud1ksoT7s1p3wxlBAJ35sOAmCoaCHhppI4XBQaAxGgi6YyuBe4SFpc8fB7QAOV9GQuB6B6N33PQBVeW33QjDxDtA30YZNzOI0x431F6D7-00CgUr54gioy3a7jd7JOJCu6WWL1JAeDUS6AhzKCI19l9lcgN1w8jONKZ6zDZMzfeZdAbL9REg

Amongst their best players, Marko Maletic is a knockout shooter while 6’6 207 RJ Greene is the team’s de facto point guard and also their best rim attacker (6.1 FTAs per game). Jacob Johnson is probably their most well-rounded player.

Their lineups kinda look like UConn lineups, so at the very least LIU is an interesting tune up to prep more positionless teams like Villanova.

Reaction Score
wow! pretty sure derek kellogg and dan hurley are really close friends. that's why i figured uconn scheduled LIU two years in a row. if they fired him last-minute, i have to think hurley is gonna be out to avenge his pal.

either way, this will be an absolute slaughter. would like to see apostolos and richie get some run.

Reaction Score
wow! pretty sure derek kellogg and dan hurley are really close friends. that's why i figured uconn scheduled LIU two years in a row. if they fired him last-minute, i have to think hurley is gonna be out to avenge his pal.

either way, this will be an absolute slaughter. would like to see apostolos and richie get some run.
They are! The wives did a podcast together last year that was quite fun. Think it’s unfortunately dormant this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are! The wives did a podcast together last year that was quite fun. Think it’s unfortunately dormant this year.
It was actually pretty funny and vaguely interesting.

Reaction Score
All i care about is no one getting injured. Get an early lead and then give the starters a rest. Give Netwon, Alleyne, Diarra and Karaban a chance to gain their confidence back. I think Hurley should grade the game with a curve, if LIU is able to score more than 50 or so points, consider it a let down/loss, just to keep it interesting.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
God bless you OP

If this thread doesn’t display your dedication, I’m not sure what else would. Of all the games you could have taken off on doing a deep dive into stats and match-ups, this would be it. And yet, here you are.

I was almost expecting to see "They're bad." and nothing else :D

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd be much more concerned about using the game to get Alleyne and Diallo out of their shooting slumps.

Alleyne, yes.

I'll assume you mean Diarra. And no, I don't want him doing anything which encourages him to shoot more. Learn how to run the offense and set the table for others. And be a dogged dog on defense. Show him tapes of Ricky Moore and Taliek Brown.

Reaction Score
If we played our walk ons the whole game, would it still be a win? What would be the final score?

Reaction Score
They’ll win by a bunch, but you don’t approach the game like it’s some kind of exhibition game. Don’t change the approach, don’t change up rotations to get the end of the bench in early. They have a full week after this until their next game, and you don’t let up when your next one is a conference game.

Reaction Score
They’ll win by a bunch, but you don’t approach the game like it’s some kind of exhibition game. Don’t change the approach, don’t change up rotations to get the end of the bench in early. They have a full week after this until their next game, and you don’t let up when your next one is a conference game.
With the nonconference finale against Long Island on Saturday before Big East play begins at Butler on Dec. 17, Hurley wants to see improvement in those areas.

“(I want to see) a relentlessness to our defensive mentality. Being in all the right spots, not out-talenting our opponent but playing a really outstanding all-around game,” he said. “And cleaning the obvious issues that we’ve had turning the ball over, but really a sustained, full 40-minute relentless effort of execution and selflessness from the group, because that’s what it takes to win conference games.

“This is a much, much different animal that’s approaching.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom