Reaction Score
Football:
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple

Basketball:
Syracuse
Cincinnati

I don't consider BC a rival because we've never beaten them in football, and we owned them in basketball. They don't even consider us anything close to a rival. Rutgers fans may make that claim, but they're kidding themselves. We beat them too many times for them to pretend otherwise.

If you're looking for one rival. Syracuse, they're the only one that registers in both football and basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One irrelevant program beating another? We should call it the Irrelevant Bowl.
Yeah we tried that whole naming thing. It didn't really work out.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed it took a whole page before this was mentioned!

I'm not. We should allow that particular piece of Bobby Fiasco insanity to die a thousand deaths.

Reaction Score
Hard to think of BC as our biggest football rival, we never defeated them. There may be institutional rivalry between the two, yes. They somehow blocked us from the ACC the first time around.

Biggest football rivals during our 1A era, in my opinion, were Pitt, Syracuse, USF, Louisville and Rutgers. There's somewhat of an unspoken rivalry between us and any two biggest school in Philadelphia, too. Somewhat of a soft rivalry with Cincinnati, too. That's pretty much the whole Big East while we were in it.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
*UCF* UMass Cuse Rugters and Cincy

we had a David vs Goliath thing going on with WVU for a while

Reaction Score
We will know that the end is near the first time a member of the old Yankee Conference beats UConn. May happen this year.

Reaction Score
USF should be considered IMO. We've had close games and games that matter. Other than the last 5 or 6 years it was pretty back and forth on wins and loses, granted that's a large piece of the teams history together.

Temple should be considered. The history goes back several decades, though it's not continuous. Proximity and recruiting is a factor. Also, we've had games with controversial calls (was the foot in or out of the back of the endzone) that help build animosity towards each.

What these 2 games don't have is the proverbial, if we lose all other games but that 1 or 2 we still had a successful season, kinda feeling.

I would love to see annual games against Rutty, Cuse, BC or even Louisville but at least in the short term that's not gonna happen. If it did, especially with the first 3, they would be great regional rivalries.

IMO, the best rivalries are built by loses. A lose that costs the loser something, be it a winning season or bowl appearance, a conference championship, or simply dignity because you never should have lost to them in the first place. Then repeating that the next year with something similar on the line again. Obviously the more of those strung together, with critical loses on both sides the greater the feeling when you are victorious and the more hated the foe.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom