List of recruits (or transfers) who overachieved the most while at UConn | The Boneyard

List of recruits (or transfers) who overachieved the most while at UConn

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Saw a similar thread on the men's side and thought it was interesting. I think it's easier to pick out names on the men's side since guys like Okafor, who were ranked around 100'ish, had tremendous careers at UConn. For the most part, on the women's side, the best recruits (top 20, etc.), generally have the best careers.

I'll start. For transfers - we don't get that many. Dorka and Lou L-S come to mind. Dorka was an all B10 player so maybe not as big a surprise. Lou was incredible for Fairfield, but we weren't sure it would translate. For recruits who overachieved, Maria Conlon - multiple NC's and starting PG on Diana's teams. Stef Dolson - she was 12 per ASGR, but everyone else had her about 25-40 in the rankings. We all know how she turned out at UConn!

Who else?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Saw a similar thread on the men's side and thought it was interesting. I think it's easier to pick out names on the men's side since guys like Okafor, who were ranked around 100'ish, had tremendous careers at UConn. For the most part, on the women's side, the best recruits (top 20, etc.), generally have the best careers.

I'll start. For transfers - we don't get that many. Dorka and Lou L-S come to mind. Dorka was an all B10 player so maybe not as big a surprise. Lou was incredible for Fairfield, but we weren't sure it would translate. For recruits who overachieved, Maria Conlon - multiple NC's and starting PG on Diana's teams. Stef Dolson - she was 12 per ASGR, but everyone else had her about 25-40 in the rankings. We all know how she turned out at UConn!

Who else?
Wolters was lightly recruited and ended up being NPOY, can’t get much more meteoric than that.

Similarly, I believe Rizzotti was lightly recruited, though that would be because of playing overseas for much of her HS career. She also ended up NPOY.

Reaction Score
Wolters was lightly recruited and ended up being NPOY, can’t get much more meteoric than that.

Similarly, I believe Rizzotti was lightly recruited, though that would be because of playing overseas for much of her HS career. She also ended up NPOY.

Jen only played one HS season overseas - her freshman year - so that wouldn't have been a big factor in her recruitment. I think she was lightly recruited due to her height, so-so outside shooting, and weak HS opposition. However, as we all know, her many strengths easily overcame those factors.

Reaction Score
Bria Hartley, ranked #14 at 2010 HoopGurlz Recruiting ranking behind #10 Samare Walker.

Freshmen rarely start at UConn, but Caroline Doty, expected to be a starting guard for the team, suffered an ACL injury in August 2010 which kept her out of the lineup for the entire season. With limited options, Hartley started and played a total of 1,209 minutes, the most ever by a UConn freshman. She averaged 12.4 points per game and was named the Big East Freshman of the Year, and Big East all tournament team.

Reaction Score
Worthwhile review:

I think Wolters was rated in the 50s. But it's hard to account for how hard a player is going to work down the road -- she lost 20 lbs her senior year of HS and another 40 in her first two years at UConn.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
seattle-storm-rookie-nika-muhl-is-turning-heads-ahead-of-her-showdown-vs-caitlin-clark-and-the...jpg

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Worthwhile review:

I think Wolters was rated in the 50s. But it's hard to account for how hard a player is going to work down the road -- she lost 20 lbs her senior year of HS and another 40 in her first two years at UConn.
I did not know what her rank was, but read a few accounts that some recruiters avoided her because of her body type in high school.

Can you steer me towards where to find rankings from that time and earlier? I have had trouble finding that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris, ranked #34 out of high school.

Geno told a story about watching Kelly at an AAU even after she'd committed to UConn. He was sitting with Andy Landers and they watched Kelly for a while. At first, Andy was puzzled why Geno recruited Kelly as "she wasn't spectacular at any one thing" but the longer they watched her, the more Andy would say "that kid is pretty darn good".

Indeed she was.

Reaction Score
I did not know what her rank was, but read a few accounts that some recruiters avoided her because of her body type in high school.

Can you steer me towards where to find rankings from that time and earlier? I have had trouble finding that.
Couldnt find them. Just a vague recollection.
No doubt that weight was an issue.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris, ranked #34 out of high school.

Geno told a story about watching Kelly at an AAU even after she'd committed to UConn. He was sitting with Andy Landers and they watched Kelly for a while. At first, Andy was puzzled why Geno recruited Kelly as "she wasn't spectacular at any one thing" but the longer they watched her, the more Andy would say "that kid is pretty darn good".

Indeed she was.
I wonder what Kelly Faris we would have seen if her coach father did not indoctrinate her to put scoring far down the list.

Reaction Score
Dolson, Edwards and Montgomery.

Add maybe Nurse.

OFC the biggest one was that "giggly, turnover prone ball-hog" from Chino. Umm - I forgot her name . . .

Reaction Score

Who else?

I’d put Ashlyn Shade on that list, any freshman who scores 26 points in the NCAA tournament has to be considered, and where was Caroline Ducharme ranked coming out of high school?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d put Ashlyn Shade on that list, any freshman who scores 26 points in the NCAA tournament has to be considered, and where was Caroline Ducharme ranked coming out of high school?
I wouldn't put Ash on there just yet, she's only been here for a year. I don't think that quite counts as "overachieving." A standout year for sure though. She's sure to be in that category by junior-senior year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As I said on the men’s thread, I think the word “overachieve” is meaningless. People can’t achieve things that are beyond their ability. To me it’s exceeding expectations which maybe weren’t accurate in the first place, like ranking services, or the right coach knowing how to get players to maximize their strengths and improve their weaknesses. As far as UConn players doing more than I expected, Lou Lopez Senechal is tops probably because I didn’t know who she was and figured very good at Fairfield isn’t UConn. Next would be Conlon. A steady player who was just what the doctor ordered.

Reaction Score
Caroline’s star is still shining! If she can just be healthy for a couple of years, she will light up like a supernova! I pray that she will finally be able to put all her misfortune behind her and live her life to it’s fullest! She has been a favorite of mine since she first committed and my fondest wish is for her to be able to play free from worry and fear for the rest of her career!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have a nominee, though I admit my memory of this player is someone influenced by her courage and my sense of opportunity lost perhaps needlessly. It's Brittany Hunter, who was at Duke her freshman year. She played on an injured knee, pushed by a coach I love to hate. 6'3" she had ridiculously fluid and fast moves around the basket. She had surgery at CT I believe. The knee would always act up under pressure. She scored around 500 points for the Huskies, but I remember her greatest value as a stabilizing leader. Her minutes were limited per game.

Reaction Score
How can you not have Nika Muhl in the top 10. Coming outa Croatia wasnt even expected to be a factor and look what she has achieved.
Svet too. Coming out of Tundra-land I don't believe she was even ranked. Turned out pretty good. How did Geno even find her? Anyone know? Maybe international competition like U-18, or whatever?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom