List of potential 5th year Grad QB’s | Page 2 | The Boneyard

List of potential 5th year Grad QB’s

Reaction Score
We need impact players at D-Line and LB and could also use a solid RB transfer. I expect us to be able to improve wth the guys we have at OL and through recruiting and coaching at DB. I like what we have coming back at QB.
DLine and LB are must fill priorities. DBs based on play are terrible as a group, but I'm hoping the reps this season coupled with some offseason growth and maturity may make for a few to be salvageable.

Reaction Score
If the staff can upgrade any position including QB they should do it. (obviously)

WR will be the strength of the team next year, better make sure there is a passer who can get them the ball. We currently have Pindel and a bunch of question marks, so clearly there is plenty of room for an upgrade.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Dbs are mostly young. I’m more worried about lack of bodies at other key places.
I agree they're young, which is why I would not mind seeing an experienced DB come on board. You have 10 spots on the 2 deep to fill. It would not go to waste.

Reaction Score
First one to chase
Darius Wade - BC; had a great game today, managed the game well last week, played well versus NC State, moves well on roll outs, BC might have scholarship crunch and he will not be the starter when their other guy heals.

Feel free to add.
My guess is Edsall and Lashlee will be at some high school playoff games this week and next looking to fill several positions, with QB being one of them. Adazzio will be there too, but does he recruit against UConn? No way. Lol

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Why would we want a one year QB? This is stupid. We have a few talented frosh redshirting this year and another possible talented QB coming in next fall. This team is going to be worse next year so why waste a year of development of our future QB? Pindell may still win the starting the gig out of camp but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get replaced within a few games.

There’s no way this staff wastes another year of development by bringing in a one year rental QB. Gotta think long term. Let one of the frosh take their lumps next year so they can have the experience for the next three when this team should be better.

Reaction Score
First one to chase
Darius Wade - BC; had a great game today, managed the game well last week, played well versus NC State, moves well on roll outs, BC might have scholarship crunch and he will not be the starter when their other guy heals.

Feel free to add.

UConn literally has the worst pass defense in the country by a mile and you are suggesting that the guy who threw for 55 yards and 1 TD against the worst pass defense in the country is better than someone on our roster? Makes sense...

Reaction Score
DLine and LB are must fill priorities. DBs based on play are terrible as a group, but I'm hoping the reps this season coupled with some offseason growth and maturity may make for a few to be salvageable.

Agree with this entirely. That we are so depleted at those positions is an indictment of Crazy Bob’s recruiting.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but a QB that will be here for 9 games is not the answer. I believe Pendell will be better next year...the spring game will be the one I'm looking forward to. What we need is an offensive line that is NOT offensive...

Reaction Score
Grimes worked miracles to get an utterly incompetent group to a serviceable level at least in pass protection and occasionally effective on the ground against base Ds. Get him a few decent prospects and we will at a B grade in no time.

The OL will be better next year even if we didn't have a good position coach. Four starters return and van Denmark will be outstanding if they can add 20 to 25 pounds of muscle.

Reaction Score
I agree they're young, which is why I would not mind seeing an experienced DB come on board. You have 10 spots on the 2 deep to fill. It would not go to waste.
Looking forward to see some older guys leaving.

Reaction Score
How many times did you say that about Bryant Shirreffs only to be proven wrong once he had a competent coaching staff?

Agreed. But why not start with an underclassman who will be around for a few season so UConn can get a return on investment.

Reaction Score
UVA is already on it.

Bronco Mendenhall talks 2018 UVA QB situation
On Monday, Virginia a commitment from Shelby (Ohio) dual-treat quarterback Brennan Armstrong.
6_7876373.jpg

(Photo: Ryan M. Kelly, Getty)

On Monday, Virginia a commitment from Shelby (Ohio) dual-treat quarterback Brennan Armstrong.

While head coach Bronco Mendenhall couldn’t mention Armstrong by name, he did talk about the latest addition to UVA’s 2018 recruiting class an hour after the three-star commitment tweeted his decision.

Mendenhall was asked how he felt about the future of Virginia’s quarterback position with Monday’s commitment from Armstrong to go along the previous commitment of Florida dual-threat quarterback Wyatt Rector.

“We're beginning to get a succession plan that makes sense,” said Mendenhall. “There is and within the rules I'm just very, very excited about the way this class and the interest -- it's amazing how much that game on Saturday sparked interest in our program.

“And how we're viewed has been increasing weekly through this season, and that was just now it sent this other wave of, wait, this is real, what's happening.

“And I think that had a huge impact on the last commitment. There's a great chance there will be a transfer quarterback as well. And once that happens, then I'll feel comfortable going into next season in terms of how we've staffed that position, which is the number one priority for our program in terms of personnel going forward, is trying to get that position to where we can play, grow and develop players all at the same time.”

Mendenhall has been clear about adding a quarterback transfer, one that would be immediately eligible for 2018.

On Monday, he was asked if he would prefer a graduate transfer or a JUCO quarterback.

“I would prefer if I'm choosing I would prefer a junior college player, most of those guys were Division I player bounced back to a JC. But that would be ideal because that would give us a mid to upper tier player in terms of eligibility with the younger players and so that would be my ideal.

“If we can't find who we wanted as a transfer with multiple years then we'd go grad transfer and that's just where the program and where our needs are.”

This weekend, Virginia will host a JUCO quarterback on a visit. Yuma (Ariz.) Arizona Western College dual threat quarterback Bryce Perkins, who was at Arizona State, will be immediately eligible in 2018 and has two years of playing eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound signal caller was offered by UVA earlier this month and will graduate from Arizona Western in December. He plans to enroll at his school of choice in January and right now, Virginia is the heavy-favorite.

According to the 247Sports Composite, coming out of Chandler (Ariz.) High School, Perkins was ranked the No. 17 dual threat quarterback in the 2015 recruiting class.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UVA is already on it.

Bronco Mendenhall talks 2018 UVA QB situation
6_7876373.jpg

(Photo: Ryan M. Kelly, Getty)

While head coach Bronco Mendenhall couldn’t mention Armstrong by name, he did talk about the latest addition to UVA’s 2018 recruiting class an hour after the three-star commitment tweeted his decision.

Mendenhall was asked how he felt about the future of Virginia’s quarterback position with Monday’s commitment from Armstrong to go along the previous commitment of Florida dual-threat quarterback Wyatt Rector.

“We're beginning to get a succession plan that makes sense,” said Mendenhall. “There is and within the rules I'm just very, very excited about the way this class and the interest -- it's amazing how much that game on Saturday sparked interest in our program.

“And how we're viewed has been increasing weekly through this season, and that was just now it sent this other wave of, wait, this is real, what's happening.

“And I think that had a huge impact on the last commitment. There's a great chance there will be a transfer quarterback as well. And once that happens, then I'll feel comfortable going into next season in terms of how we've staffed that position, which is the number one priority for our program in terms of personnel going forward, is trying to get that position to where we can play, grow and develop players all at the same time.”

Mendenhall has been clear about adding a quarterback transfer, one that would be immediately eligible for 2018.

On Monday, he was asked if he would prefer a graduate transfer or a JUCO quarterback.

“I would prefer if I'm choosing I would prefer a junior college player, most of those guys were Division I player bounced back to a JC. But that would be ideal because that would give us a mid to upper tier player in terms of eligibility with the younger players and so that would be my ideal.

“If we can't find who we wanted as a transfer with multiple years then we'd go grad transfer and that's just where the program and where our needs are.”

This weekend, Virginia will host a JUCO quarterback on a visit. Yuma (Ariz.) Arizona Western College dual threat quarterback Bryce Perkins, who was at Arizona State, will be immediately eligible in 2018 and has two years of playing eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound signal caller was offered by UVA earlier this month and will graduate from Arizona Western in December. He plans to enroll at his school of choice in January and right now, Virginia is the heavy-favorite.

According to the 247Sports Composite, coming out of Chandler (Ariz.) High School, Perkins was ranked the No. 17 dual threat quarterback in the 2015 recruiting class.
You think everyone else is sleeping on their qb strategy?

Reaction Score
Pindell QB rating
Today 63.9; 1 TD, 1int
Last week 9.5; 1 TD 3 int
Holy Cross 35.1; 0 TD 0int

Darius WadeQB rating
Syracuse 96.6 1 TD 0 int
Uconn 57.4 1 TD 0 int
NC State 99.3 0 TD 0 int

Which QBs values the ball?

THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER, PERIOD.

For the record, he was 15-30 for 137 yards, combined, against UConn and NC St.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But why not start with an underclassman who will be around for a few season so UConn can get a return on investment.
How'd that work out against Holy Cross?

We need to win games. We need to get to a bowl game. If Pindell gives us the best chance to win he should play, if not, he should be a back-up. It's literally that simple.

Reaction Score
How'd that work out against Holy Cross?

We need to win games. We need to get to a bowl game. If Pindell gives us the best chance to win he should play, if not, he should be a back-up. It's literally that simple.

If the young guys cannot unseat Pindell then UConn is gonna continue its QB void that really has existed since Dan O left with few exceptions such as Shirrifs for a few games this year and Casey Cochran for the final four games in 2013.

Reaction Score
I don’t love Pindell but our biggest problems are on the other side of the football. We need a speed rusher linebackers and dbacks who aren’t afraid to hit. I think we would be better with someone other than Pindell but unless and until the other side of the ball gets fixed we can get by. And one of the Frosh might be ready by August.

Reaction Score
If the young guys cannot unseat Pindell then UConn is gonna continue its QB void that really has existed since Dan O left with few exceptions such as Shirrifs for a few games this year and Casey Cochran for the final four games in 2013.
You don't know that. One of the freshmen might be better, but Pindell will have all offseason to continue to work, and I expect a better QB back next year. If the defesne, OL and running game doesn't improve, it won't matter who the QB is.

Reaction Score
Next year’s qb is on our roster. We can hope that one of the freshmen beats out Pindell, but Pindell showed some skill. Washington was offered by UCF and Scott Frost knows Qbs. McAfee was offered by BC. I was pleased that Shirriffs and Pindell held everything together to allow both to redshirt and learn the system. I have no interest in a grad transfer unless the were from Auburn and know Lashlee’s system.

Reaction Score
The OL will be better next year even if we didn't have a good position coach. Four starters return and van Denmark will be outstanding if they can add 20 to 25 pounds of muscle.

He is going to be an excellent player. The line showed flashes last season. There is talent. Now it’s up to them to hit the weight room and get bigger and stronger.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You watched the game today and thought our need area was QB? The guy who was constantly running for his life? My order of importance for grad transfers would be:
  1. D-line
  2. O-line
  3. DB
  4. RB
  5. LB

I'd reverse 4 and 5. Might even put 5 above 3. Close call. In any event, aside from OL, we need defense.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'd reverse 4 and 5. Might even put 5 above 3. Close call. In any event, aside from OL, we need defense.
I feel like 1 is well above the rest. 2 is next as we're going to have very limited depth in a unit that was improved but not great. With RB, we absolutely need a third body who can log meaningful snaps but I agree that 3-4-5 are easy to move around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom