Lipscomb and Belmont deserve to be in the field of 68. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lipscomb and Belmont deserve to be in the field of 68.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Blame the Quad 1 and Quad 2 crap along with the NCAA tournament committee deciding NOT to consider league records this year - it was made to favor the P5 - guess where the member's schools are?

I have way too much time on my hands at the moment, so did a mashup of NET and KenPom and averaged them. B1G would get 10 teams in.

Under that methodology, last eight in would be Iowa, Penn St., Indiana, Nebraska, TCU, Ohio St., Belmont & Lipscomb - and if I had my way, all eight would be in play-in games. First four out would be Minnesota, Creighton, Toledo, Oregon/Arkansas (Tie). Temple would be 7th in line to get in and Memphis 10th.

One thing I still don't like about the seedings is that 4 one-bid conference champs go to Dayton. Give these guys the real NCAA experience as 16 seeds w/o play-ins, please. Barring a miracle, they're all going out in the 1st round anyway. Send those 8th, 9th and 10th place P5 teams to Dayton.

Reaction Score
Blame the Quad 1 and Quad 2 crap along with the NCAA tournament committee deciding NOT to consider league records this year - it was made to favor the P5 - guess where the member's schools are?
The committee hasn't considered conference records for many years at this point. It's not something new. They've also segmented wins into buckets for many years now. None of this is new.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind cutting out the First Four...going to 64 with seeding based on something tangible...

I know the problems with RPI, NET, etc...but other than rating "I wish they could play" as a real factor...I have know idea how to invite and to seed based on comparative team strength.

Reaction Score
Utah State is in without a doubt. I think Belmont belongs too. None of the other mid-majors have a shot IMO. Furman/UNC-G/Lipscomb are all going to be disappointed on selection sunday.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Utah State is in without a doubt. I think Belmont belongs too. None of the other mid-majors have a shot IMO. Furman/UNC-G/Lipscomb are all going to be disappointed on selection sunday.

If Utah St. is in, so is St. Mary's. I'd say the same about Belmont & Furman. Trying to justify one while excluding the other is an exercise in splitting hairs with a butter knife.

Reaction Score
If Utah St. is in, so is St. Mary's. I'd say the same about Belmont & Furman. Trying to justify one while excluding the other is an exercise in splitting hairs with a butter knife.
St Mary's has zero wins over teams that are going to be in the tournament. Their metrics look pretty but they have no quality wins. They aren't getting in.

Reaction Score
Lipscomb's loss (74-68), on their home floor, to Liberty in the conference title game...has them on the backside of the bubble.

They do have a NET of 48...and a good win over TCU..

Reaction Score
Saint Mary's: Best wins #46 New Mexico State (not in at-large conversation), #73 San Francisco, #102 San Diego. 2 losses in Q3/Q4. 21 of 32 games in Q3/Q4.

Utah State: Best wins #18 Nevada, #37 St Mary's #75 UC Irvine. 1 loss in Q3/Q4. 21/30 games in Q3/Q4

Lipscomb: Best wins #47 TCU #59 Liberty #103 SMU, 1 loss in Q3/Q4. 21/30 games in Q3/Q4 - but 17 of those are Q4.

Belmont: Best wins #43 Murray State, #48 Lipscomb, #48 Lipscomb. 2 losses in Q3/Q4 - but 17 of those Q4.

Utah State has the two best wins of the group. Belmont has a better win than Lipscomb and beat Lipscomb twice. Saint Mary's is the worst resume of the four in my opinion, but it's not close imo.

Reaction Score
One thing I still don't like about the seedings is that 4 one-bid conference champs go to Dayton. Give these guys the real NCAA experience as 16 seeds w/o play-ins, please. Barring a miracle, they're all going out in the 1st round anyway. Send those 8th, 9th and 10th place P5 teams to Dayton.

If you asked them, they might not agree that that is what they want.

In the play-in game they get:
- A better chance at a win than playing a 1 seed. That win goes in the records as an NCAA tournament win the same as any other
- And thus a win earns a tournament credit worth ~$2 million for their conference.
- A primetime game as opposed to being lost in the shuffle and likely put in a bad timeslot because the NCAA expects a beatdown.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
- And thus a win earns a tournament credit worth ~$2 million for their conference.

That is a worthwhile point.

Reaction Score
They could definitely scare some teams in the tourney. But, you have to win that conference championship. I really wanted to see Lipscomb there - their star, Garrison Matthews, is a crazy good shooter from deep.

Reaction Score
There has been one win out of 136 #16 seed games...

A #16 seed has a chance at an upset...and slim beats none, I guess.

But the history is that a fraction of one percent have won.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

- A better chance at a win than playing a 1 seed. That win goes in the records as an NCAA tournament win the same as any other
- A primetime game as opposed to being lost in the shuffle and likely put in a bad timeslot because the NCAA expects a beatdown.

Yep the play in game tourney credit is big for the small conferences.

The NEC home office is entirely funded by the NCAA credit for example. Getting two is huge.

Reaction Score
I am still learning basketball...but a late start is better than not...

What I never realized was how being a very good team in a not very good BB conference or vice versa impacts a program.

Gonzaga has been a perennial tournamant credit earner...in fact has earned over 60% of the WCC tourney credits since 1991....yet only gets the same return as their conference mates as the tourney revenue gets divided equally by the conference.

Conversely, Northwestern has not made it to an NCAA tournament since 1939...but gets the conferences equal share...earned by Michigan State, etc.

Seems to me, that no matter which way it is cut, being in a conference with more teams annually making the tourney and earning credits must be beneficial.

I guess no conference has other than "equal share" distribution?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom