Lindy's preseason top 25 | The Boneyard

Lindy's preseason top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It'll really be remarkable if Quinnipiac manages to stay in the Top 25 all year. Imagine lil' ole Connecticut sporting 2 teams in the Top 25!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's a fun list. Makes for interesting discussion. Aside from putting Cal at about #10, the rest of their top 6-7 seems to make sense. I'd also put UNC in the top 10 and Maryland higher. Baylor IMHO should be about 20 to start the season.

Reactions: HGN

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Looks like Lindy is a Duke fan. No UNC in the top 25! And yes, Cal is far too high and Maryland far too low. Like I said, he's a Dukie!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It is some of the lower picks that just blow my mind. I don't care about the coach - Chattanooga in the top 25? I thought (I could be wrong) that Dayton lost significantly to graduation.

In general, I expect most of the mid-majors to fade.

Cal may surprise, they are getting a lot of press (well, more mention than anyone else) out here.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Cal loses leading scorer Clarendon. 16 ppg, a lot to lose. They also lose starter Caldwell at 9 ppg, but return the other three starters. 4 new frosh. 2 in top 100. The also get two RS back, Kyra Dunn (Transfer from Pitt) and Brittany Shine(Transfer from Florida).

Doesn't jump out at me as an obvious reason to be ranked #3

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'd be happy to see Quinnipiac in top 25, but this one is puzzling. They were ranked around 70 last year. Their conference picks them to finish behind Marist and Iona. While Marist is no stranger to top 25 consideration, Iona is not. We don't know that they will finish behind those two, but the conference leader isn't necessarily a top 25 team, so this looks like a huge stretch. Hope I'm wrong.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Colorado surprises me in that list. They were in and out of the top 25, but wasn't that mainly because of Jeffery, who is gone? Five frosh class, but none in top 100, unless I misread. They do have 4 starters back, so that's worth something, but I'm think lower end of top 25, not top half

Reaction Score
I recall that a few of the preseason rankings are very wacky -- likely because they're a last minute add-on to the MCBB publication, and they're done by someone who knows little about the game.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wow that top 25 ranking is not very good.

Reaction Score
I actually would agree with Cal being top 5 however their top returnee is currently recovering from stress fracture surgery: Gen Brandon...averaged a double double. Freak athlete who looks like she picked up basketball last week, thus is due for another elevation of her game (7 ppg as a frosh, 9 ppg soph, 12 ppg jr). They lost Clarendon (#9 WNBA draft) but 16 ppg is not insurmountable. The only other starter they lost is replaced by a reserve Reshanda Gray who made the World Univ. Games, so most think the change will be an upgrade. Look for underrated 6'3" versatile wing freshman Courtney Range to make an immediate impact.

Trust me, Kentucky is NOT better than Cal! Not at all! Cal would beat Kentucky 7 times out of 10, if not 8. Cal was up by 10 at half against Louisville in the Final Four. Louisville is better than Cal on nights that Slaughter hits 6 three's -- that's it. If Cal GUARDED Slaughter, they would have comfortably advanced to face UConn, which would have been a great experience for the team. Cal would not have won, but it would've been closer than UConn over L'Ville & ND in the semi's. Unfortunately, I don't think Brandon will be ready for the meeting with UConn this year. Tennessee has more talent, but still unproven. Notre Dame and Cal are pretty even. Maryland and Cal is a good matchup, but a lot of question marks for Maryland so of course you put the Final 4 team ahead of the Sweet 16 team.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'd be happy to see Quinnipiac in top 25, but this one is puzzling. They were ranked around 70 last year. Their conference picks them to finish behind Marist and Iona. While Marist is no stranger to top 25 consideration, Iona is not. We don't know that they will finish behind those two, but the conference leader isn't necessarily a top 25 team, so this looks like a huge stretch. Hope I'm wrong.
And the Bobcats lost their top scorer to graduation. At 30-3 last year, I guess there's always a chance that you might hit one out of the ballpark in your picks and have something to shout about. Probably the same is true for Creighton, which was #56 in Sags last year. Other than that the Lindy list kind of shuffles around a lot of the top 25-30 teams in Sags last year, though the absence of UNC is indeed interesting.

Ah yeah, and Quin and Chattanooga at #70 and #71 in Sags in 2013 does make you kind of wonder what part of the body some of these picks were generated in.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
So many blatant errors in this thing it is laughable. Dish & Swish is tweeting about some of the whoppers....

Dishin' & Swishin' @DishNSwish
Looking at Lindy's preseason poll & All-American teams '13-'14. I'm supposed to take seriously when @kelseybone3 is pre-season 3rd team AA?

Here's a pic of Lindy's list, if you don't believe me http://Post original url/18b64WQ Yes, they have @kelseybone3 still at A&M.....
Somebody may want to also tell Lindy's that @tkarr12 has graduated from @ZagWBB so it'll be tough for her to step up as a leader.

Last nit-pick with Lindy's but as much as @genoauriemma would like it, @bigmommastef is not a junior this year....

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'm also shocked that Chiney plays guard. Fascinating stuff!

And Mercedes Russell is third team AA? I will be stunned if she has a better season than Bashara Graves.

And I hate to be a homer, but where is Jewell Loyd? Maybe she can take Kelsey Bone's slot.

And please move Chelsea Gray or KML onto the first team instead of Maggie Lucas.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I recall that a few of the preseason rankings are very wacky -- likely because they're a last minute add-on to the MCBB publication, and they're done by someone who knows little about the game.
Yeah, I don't think you can put these kind of picks down to trying to stir up controversy and generate hits, like the 2003 preseason listing of UConn at #19 by one of the male-only-oriented services, which might well have been a flamer. This is simply a lack of knowledge by someone who is maybe picking a team because they were tops in a league that does well on the men's side, a la Creighton of the Missouri Valley conference which has strong men's Wichita State and Creighton teams. That's clearly not true for the Northeast conference, so Quin's pick must be based on that 30-3 record.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Somebody may want to also tell Lindy's that @tkarr12 has graduated from @ZagWBB so it'll be tough for her to step up as a leader.
It can be done. Look how well George Gipp helped lead the Irish after he died.

And can we really blame these guys that they get their years confused a little? And it's a lot easier to get your previews done if you just recycle last season's info.

Reaction Score
I don't know Cal well, but I do know they lost 3 of their top 7 players, including their best player & team leader Clarendon. I don't see them anywhere near the top 3, particularly when teams like Louisville, Maryland, and Duke return so much.

Even ND, which loses a ton with Skylar, still returns everyone else and adds a top 5 recruit.
Stanford was slightly better than Cal last year, and the Cardinal lost less and has better recruits.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wow!

Lots of miscues there!! Gennifer Brandon will be a SR this year as well!

Mercedes Russell, FOY, not sure about that! Haven't seen her play yet but??

These folks need to do their research! I went to Barnes and Noble to pick it up, but there were so many errors in the write ups, I just put it back on the shelf!

I know more than those writers!

Reaction Score
Wow. All kinds of wrong with that list. North Carolina is a Top 15 team and will be a competitor in the NCAA's. Chattanooga at 16 while LSU is at 24 is just stupid. Baylor at 9 is ridiculous. Honestly, with the exception of Cal and Baylor, the Top 10 besides UConn being Number 1 could go any number of ways. However I think the top 5 teams with the best overall balance of talent and experience (in order) are UConn Duke Stanford Tennessee NotreDame.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Somebody end this preseason madness! It's bringing me way down!
cork_unhappy_baby_1_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer