Lindsay Sherbert leaves Cal program | The Boneyard

Lindsay Sherbert leaves Cal program

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Was #29 in the country in the 2010 per HG, but from the story, doesn't appear to have produced at a high level on a fairly pedestrian Cal team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Apparently, Lindsay was not the right flavor of Sherbert.

I was surprised that she and Jemerigbe have not had more impact so far, but the other Cal players appear to be better than I thought. I'd call Cal more solid than pedestrian.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

I was surprised that she and Jemerigbe have not had more impact so far, but the other Cal players appear to be better than I thought. I'd call Cal more solid than pedestrian.
The line between solid and pedestrian is a fine one. :)

They did give ND a run for their money in the second round this year, so I'll let 'em have solid.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The line between solid and pedestrian is a fine one. :)

They did give ND a run for their money in the second round this year, so I'll let 'em have solid.
I almost always agree with you. It's uncanny. :D

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
New coach, for one. Changes are bound to happen.

A Stanford fan thought that Boyle's Cal was rather undisciplined, but felt Gottleib was making strides in the right direction.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
New coach, for one. Changes are bound to happen.

A Stanford fan thought that Boyle's Cal was rather undisciplined, but felt Gottleib was making strides in the right direction.
Interesting. Can Stanford fans be objective about Cal?

Reaction Score
#21 Erica Johnson also left this season. They now have no outside shooters and Cal will have no freshman class of 2012 because no one was recruited.

When Gottleib took over at UCSB, many of the remaining players didn't like her. Significantly, with one exception, Underwood, her entire first recruiting class transferred. I have no idea what's going on in Berkeley, but that's been her history. In fact, one of her assistant coaches at Santa Barbara also left to take a lower ranking (and paying) job at Santa Cruz.

I know nothing about Park but the earlier reports were that he was joining USC as "associate head coach" which is a considerable step up from his title at Cal. It was the same title Cynthia Cooper-Dyke was reported to have almost had. Now it's simply "assistant coach." I know some people think Park nearly wrecked Maryland when Frese took maternity leave but I'd be more concerned with the way he jumps from coaching job to coaching job. Utah, Maryland, La Tech, Cal, USC.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
She has only 2 years left. Did we recruit her for a while? Maybe I'm confusing her with Cassie Harberts.

UConn recruited Harberts, now at USC. I dont remember Sherbert on UConns radar, but I could be wrong.

IMO, Sherbert was wasted as a three point shooter at Cal. I remember her best talent was driving to the hoop. She could hit the three, but Sherbert always was best when she got much more involved in the game instead of hanging outside the arc. Hoopgurlz wrote this on one of her evaluations, "This 6-0 power guard can run the floor, shoot the trey, lock down opponent's top scorer and crash the glass." She used to have the most bruised knees and legs that I could remember. I saw her dive into the scorers table at Nike Nationals to keep a ball in bounds. I dont think Boyle or Gottlieb utilized her best asset, taking the ball to the hoop.
Her list of schools back in 2009 were Arizona State, Cal, Louisville, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Villanova, and Washington State. Not sure if these would be her current picks.

Hope she finds a better fit.

Reaction Score
Her release is said to be contingent upon her not attending a Pac school so half of her original list is no longer available.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Cal is still a fun team to watch, I'm gonna get the chance to see them next season play @ASU, now that I'm moving to Phoenix in a few weeks. :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Cal is still a fun team to watch, I'm gonna get the chance to see them next season play @ASU, now that I'm moving to Phoenix in a few weeks. :cool:
Lots of Boneyarders (UConn fans and non-UConn fans alike) in Phoenix. We need to set up an Arizona chapter. :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Since Walz at Louisville likes transfers, perhaps she ends up there.

Reaction Score

Both Jemerigbe and Sherbert play the wing in Cals offense. Their major problem is that that Cals points are still highly ineffective in the half court. This year they began to get the post players somewhat involved but the wings were mostly ignored. The points just didn't see the floor very well. The result was that the wings usually got the ball either late or never when they are open. One problem was that the previous coachs (Boyle) priority was to recruit ball dominant one on one athletic scorers rather than pass first team oriented points. The result was an athletic team that would score primatily on turn overs and fast breaks but struggled in the half court. There has been vast improvement under their new coach in this respect, but it's still a work in progress. One must consider that she has to work with the make up of the type of team that was left her. Their frosh point Boyd has a lot of potential but was forced by neccessity into the starting line up before she was actually ready. That is a distinct advantage that Geno has in regard with his freshmen players.

Ironically Boyle does much better with another coaches recruits than with her own as evidenced by the results last year at Cal when she was left with only her own recruits. Hopefully that experience has taught her the importance of assembling the correct pieces neccessary in order to establish a proper team dynamic.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You do know that Cappie is no longer there, right? :)

Enjoy the sun. It's been 100 degrees there lately.

Reaction Score
She was iced out when she learned she wasn't the cream of the crop.:(

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
You do know that Cappie is no longer there, right? :)

Enjoy the sun. It's been 100 degrees there lately.

I know! :p

Just gotta hope Rutgers will start a series with either ASU or UofA. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom