Lil caterpillars | The Boneyard

Lil caterpillars

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is anyone else being inundated with these little caterpillars that seem to be using gliders to attack you every time you go outside?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No, but the spotted lantern flies have started to hatch.

Science needs to figure out how to make them food. They could feed some small countries just with the number we squashed in Pgh last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Schools around here are cancelling recess because of this plague and all you people have are jokes.

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?! THE CHILDREN!

Honestly, it’s really annoying. I am adding caterpillars to the list of things that need to be extinct. (1. Mosquitos 2. Polar bears 3. Sharks)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
caterpillar satisfying GIF

Reaction Score
I’m a battle veteran of the great gypsy moth war of the late 1970’s . Every afternoon the brave men of my neighborhood would put on their armor and do battle with the plague that threatened all your homes , trees and shrubs .Our only weapon were pesticides probably now banned that were in such short supply a black market arose .My house was the last one on the street and adjacent to a wooded area . There were so many that at night you could hear the sound of the little guys gnawing at the hardwoods .
I learned a couple of things ;
1. the battle was hopeless in the battle of man vs nature we lose.
2 That they only ate leaves from hardwood trees was a myth . They preferred them but would attack evergreens if that was the old thing available
3 A healthy hardwood will put out a second leaving . Amazingly within 2 jweeks the Forrest returned to normal except for unhealthy hardwoods and evergreens who died .?. So in a way the destruction lead to reforestation. I lost two or three cedars.
4. Nature balances itself out a population explosion will lead to a crash. The feared return never occurred

Reaction Score
Schools around here are cancelling recess because of this plague and all you people have are jokes.

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?! THE CHILDREN!

Honestly, it’s really annoying. I am adding caterpillars to the list of things that need to be extinct. (1. Mosquitos 2. Polar bears 3. Sharks)
You should have thought about the children before you berated all those Yarders for their dumb posts.

Reaction Score
Try Lovebugs. Down here in Florida they are a Menace. Your windshield on I-75 will be covered with a white coating of bugs innards. On a trip north a stop had to be made every two hours to clean the windshield of the guts.
And now the cicadas are coming, good luck

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is anyone else being inundated with these little caterpillars that seem to be using gliders to attack you every time you go outside?
I imagine if you got yourself a few dozen Cambodian gliding lizards they'd solve your insect problem.

Reaction Score
Winter moths, if they are smooth and green. They devastated my blueberry bushes and Apple trees a few years back. Ate every single blossom

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I’m a battle veteran of the great gypsy moth war of the late 1970’s . Every afternoon the brave men of my neighborhood would put on their armor and do battle with the plague that threatened all your homes , trees and shrubs .Our only weapon were pesticides probably now banned that were in such short supply a black market arose .My house was the last one on the street and adjacent to a wooded area . There were so many that at night you could hear the sound of the little guys gnawing at the hardwoods .
I learned a couple of things ;
1. the battle was hopeless in the battle of man vs nature we lose.
2 That they only ate leaves from hardwood trees was a myth . They preferred them but would attack evergreens if that was the old thing available
3 A healthy hardwood will put out a second leaving . Amazingly within 2 jweeks the Forrest returned to normal except for unhealthy hardwoods and evergreens who died .?. So in a way the destruction lead to reforestation. I lost two or three cedars.
4. Nature balances itself out a population explosion will lead to a crash. The feared return never occurred
All true! I used to live in Tolland when they came out and had a tree lined driveway that went down to our home. I used to be able to park my car at the top of the driveway and slide down the driveway do to all the excrement the Gipsy moths deposited on the driveway! I read somewhere that their eggs tasted like hickory nuts so I tried some and they did. Only problem was that I farted moths for months.;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom