Light bulb statement..CW to high post, like Gabby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Light bulb statement..CW to high post, like Gabby

Reaction Score
You’re forgetting one thing. CW can’t pass which is the most important part of playing the high post. She’s averaging lowest among starters at 1.9ast over 34.5mpg. Aa a scorer she has proven herself but a passer/decision maker, she is not.

Megan can’t either, she is constantly turning it over or shooting bad shots from the high post. I think if it’s not Lou then I’d rather it not be a consistent spot for anyone. We don’t have Gabby to pass so we need to figure out a new way to get post touches.

Reaction Score
You’re forgetting one thing. CW can’t pass which is the most important part of playing the high post. She’s averaging lowest among starters at 1.9ast over 34.5mpg. Aa a scorer she has proven herself but a passer/decision maker, she is not.

Megan can’t either, she is constantly turning it over or shooting bad shots from the high post. I think if it’s not Lou then I’d rather it not be a consistent spot for anyone. We don’t have Gabby to pass so we need to figure out a new way to get post touches.
Yep, your numbers are accurate, I'm sure. I do think she is not in an assist position very often but will not be able to agree with her passing overall. She has a powerful and accurate pass. Having said that, the picture in my mind when I started this thread was not of her dishing. I, for right or wrong, saw only that pure jumper and that blow bye drive. I have read ALL above and still will stay with above mental image. I will end my part of this thread with this...yal sure know your BB!! It's been a pleasure.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen, the best "high post" option in terms of an overall skills package considering passing, setting picks, and possible shooting (she hasn't had the minutes to determine if she could score consistently from the top of the key area) is actually Kyla. If she were only 6-4 or 6-5 instead of 6-2...

MTC

Reaction Score
I agree with HopJim that a guard or small forward will be guarding her at the high post. IMO one of the reasons for the tactic of employing a high post is that you bring a big out to guard you and that opens up the middle. The high low action in that regard is hugely effective as we saw with Gabby passing down low to Pheesa. Gabby was unique in her ability to drive by the forward or center guarding her with either hand. Christyn may have that ability, but she'll be doing it against a smaller, quicker defender. Also, being smaller, she won't be able to pass over people and she may even get hemmed in at the high post.

I respectfully think that we're barking up the wrong tree. I want to see us use an excessive amount of dribble penetration, finish if its there, or pitch to an open spot up shooter, and last but not least, crash the offensive boards. And of course find Phees on the blocks.
I thought CW and Gabby were the same height. Gabby was a great leaper though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has given the offense to KLS & Collier and frankly neither is doing a very good job of trying to create off the dribble. Of course UConn has rarely if ever been a dribble drive first type of team but since the Okl game there have been periods of games when the Huskies look a lot like Tenn in its half-court offense. No one is moving without the ball while the player with the ball ignores them and tries to create something themselves. While I prefer a motion/passing style there is something to being able to create on your own but the best option on UConn for that is Williams and she spends most of her time stuck in the corner/wing on the opposite side of the court from the ball and totally ignored by KLS & NC neither of whom is much of a creator on the perimeter.

UConn has perhaps the best guard tandem in the country and it's time to let them run the offense. Both are able to drive the lane and both are outstanding shooters but for some reason(s) most of the dribbling around is being done by KLS & NC. Both KLS and NC are far better coming off screens and posting up low than in trying to dribble.

I'm hopeful that the coaches are trying to keep Williams from burning out by hiding her on the weak -side on offense. But by the time March rolls around they have to realize that she is the best offensive option on the team. Now I expect the KLS's fans will disagree but KLS's recent stats look a lot like DD's, than

Reaction Score
You all are probably getting annoyed by the lone OSU fan jumping in on these threads, but I wanted to point out that OSU has many different players who play the high post in OSU's offense, often in a given game. My favorite is when Mikayla Pivec, 5'10" physical guard plays the high post. She is a skilled passer, isn't overwhelmed by strong defenders, and, can get off a mid-range jumper or take it hard to the basket. I like the idea being floated here about having flexibility of different UCONN players (different looks to the defense) playing the high post.

Reaction Score
UConn has given the offense to KLS & Collier and frankly neither is doing a very good job of trying to create off the dribble. Of course UConn has rarely if ever been a dribble drive first type of team but since the Okl game there have been periods of games when the Huskies look a lot like Tenn in its half-court offense. No one is moving without the ball while the player with the ball ignores them and tries to create something themselves. While I prefer a motion/passing style there is something to being able to create on your own but the best option on UConn for that is Williams and she spends most of her time stuck in the corner/wing on the opposite side of the court from the ball and totally ignored by KLS & NC neither of whom is much of a creator on the perimeter.

UConn has perhaps the best guard tandem in the country and it's time to let them run the offense. Both are able to drive the lane and both are outstanding shooters but for some reason(s) most of the dribbling around is being done by KLS & NC. Both KLS and NC are far better coming off screens and posting up low than in trying to dribble.

I'm hopeful that the coaches are trying to keep Williams from burning out by hiding her on the weak -side on offense. But by the time March rolls around they have to realize that she is the best offensive option on the team. Now I expect the KLS's fans will disagree but KLS's recent stats look a lot like DD's, than

I think every thing you say about Samuelson and Collier is spot on. I don't think the coaches are "saving" Williams. That said, I, along with a bunch of other people, really would love to know what they are doing with her.

Reaction Score
I thought CW and Gabby were the same height. Gabby was a great leaper though.
I already addressed that!
Charles Barkley is the same height as Bradley Beal. Are they the same player? Barkley was a leaper with long arms and a big body, an absolute freak, especially early in his career. A rebounding machine. Beal is a rangy off guard. Same player? Really? But they're the same height!!

Reaction Score

Thanks for showing me how to write properly about these matters.

While any bb-minded person would not speak of the Stewart-Jefferson era with that of today's group in the same breath (and I harbor no intention here of belittling the current team- only a comment about playing styles and their effects,etc. ), I am at times at a loss regarding the playing of the backcourt. All 5-players on this team are quite talented and are multi-skilled, especially compared to other teams. (I saw no superiority on the parts of Baylor, CA, or ND, etc. Height matters but, there are other ways to win than matching the others height-to-height.)
The current back-court in my mind might learn something from watching Jefferson with Chong/Nurse. There are far too many hands-off in the back court- in aid of creating openings, etc., and too few guard penetrations of the kind that characterized the Jefferson era (and what other teams are using against us). Jefferson was the master of this (with Geno telling her to back it out- a la T. Parker, if she had nothing. This rather than picking up the dribble). The current style might be intended to spare our point guard. But other teams have figured out how to disrupt our style of play, and we have not fully compensated for this matter. Our once clean passes have become more difficult with the more discipline we are seeing among our opponents. Resulting in among others stagnation. And, as the game slows down both KLS + NC become less effective. NC is forced to go up-and-under against a set defense, and KLS cannot shake free from her defender(s) or forced to take fade-away-shots.
In any regards, the strategy so far is not without problems against the top teams- who will (as us) get better.
But all those in the know-- especially Geno, said this team will have to learn how to win games.

By the way, I have send off a clean copy of my analysis (with a more detailed point-for-point view) to Geno and Shea- my two culprits. Waiting for an answer. Might get a free ticket come March.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You all are probably getting annoyed by the lone OSU fan jumping in on these threads, but I wanted to point out that OSU has many different players who play the high post in OSU's offense, often in a given game. My favorite is when Mikayla Pivec, 5'10" physical guard plays the high post. She is a skilled passer, isn't overwhelmed by strong defenders, and, can get off a mid-range jumper or take it hard to the basket. I like the idea being floated here about having flexibility of different UCONN players (different looks to the defense) playing the high post.
Not annoyed at all. You’ve been very respectful towards UConn and it’s fans

Reaction Score
P
Thanks for showing me how to write properly about these matters.

While any bb-minded person would not speak of the Stewart-Jefferson era with that of today's group in the same breath (and I harbor no intention here of belittling the current team- only a comment about playing styles and their effects,etc. ), I am at times at a loss regarding the playing of the backcourt. All 5-players on this team are quite talented and are multi-skilled, especially compared to other teams. (I saw no superiority on the parts of Baylor, CA, or ND, etc. Height matters but, there are other ways to win than matching the others height-to-height.)
The current back-court in my mind might learn something from watching Jefferson with Chong/Nurse. There are far too many hands-off in the back court- in aid of creating openings, etc., and too few guard penetrations of the kind that characterized the Jefferson era (and what other teams are using against us). Jefferson was the master of this (with Geno telling her to back it out- a la T. Parker, if she had nothing. This rather than picking up the dribble). The current style might be intended to spare our point guard. But other teams have figured out how to disrupt our style of play, and we have not fully compensated for this matter. Our once clean passes have become more difficult with the more discipline we are seeing among our opponents. Resulting in among others stagnation. And, as the game slows down both KLS + NC become less effective. NC is forced to go up-and-under against a set defense, and KLS cannot shake free from her defender(s) or forced to take fade-away-shots.
In any regards, the strategy so far is not without problems against the top teams- who will (as us) get better.
But all those in the know-- especially Geno, said this team will have to learn how to win games.

By the way, I have send off a clean copy of my analysis (with a more detailed point-for-point view) to Geno and Shea- my two culprits. Waiting for an answer. Might get a free ticket come March.
Terrific! Thank you!
Handoffs are dumb! I don’t care how many wins Geno has. Even a genius can get lazy!
Everything you do has to have a purpose. Pheesa out 30 feet from the basket with no one guarding her, handing off to someone that no one is guarding is frickin lazy. Sorry! Have at me!

Reaction Score
Gabby played the high post because she couldn’t hit the three. Since CW is a great three-Point shooter, this would be a waste of her talent in that area. The whole thing is moot, because Geno isn’t running a high-low this year. That is certainly why the offense is not as effective; the team is playing an entirely new scheme. They have two months to get comfortable; given the UConn track record, they are almost certain to get there by March.
UConn ran the high-low all night tonight against Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
UConn ran the high-low all night tonight against Cincinnati.

That’s not what I saw. A screen and roll is not a high-low.. The few times someone posted up, the pass came from the wing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom