Light bulb statement..CW to high post, like Gabby | The Boneyard

Light bulb statement..CW to high post, like Gabby

Reaction Score
First I've seen this mentioned. Boontonbomber said it and I can't stop thinking about it. CW certainly has the physical skills, the nerve, the speed and shot to play the high post. If anything her move to drive is faster than Gabby. No, she can not leap out of the gym but she does get up and she is not going to be knocked off the drive. The short jumper is as Oscar Robertson like as I have seen. As mentioned, she is too good to stay on the bus for the first 1 or 2 quarters.
This is my first thread to start. I hope my credit to boontonbomber was appropriate and I did not seem overly opinionated.

Reaction Score
I am just curious why the Greatest Living WBB Coach in the World has not realized this? Has anyone mentioned it to him?
I am hoping that he's reading the BY today. :rolleyes:
Emoticon or not, don't you think your response was just a touch snarky, given that the OP was polite, not ego-driven, gave credit to another BYer for the idea and almost apologized for even suggesting it before he/she was done?
At a time when folks say that some longtime BYers are leaving because of attitude among some participants and the mods are expressing frustration with some of the attitude around here, well, maybe it'd be good to encourage polite new posters. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
I am just curious why the Greatest Living WBB Coach in the World has not realized this? Has anyone mentioned it to him?
I am hoping that he's reading the BY today. :rolleyes:

Yeh, I'm curious , too, since they've played much over the recent seasons with a high post, and with quite a bit of success. Not that I'm questioning GLWBBC.

Reaction Score
First I've seen this mentioned. Boontonbomber said it and I can't stop thinking about it. CW certainly has the physical skills, the nerve, the speed and shot to play the high post. If anything her move to drive is faster than Gabby. No, she can not leap out of the gym but she does get up and she is not going to be knocked off the drive. The short jumper is as Oscar Robertson like as I have seen. As mentioned, she is too good to stay on the bus for the first 1 or 2 quarters.
This is my first thread to start. I hope my credit to boontonbomber was appropriate and I did not seem overly opinionated.

Actually she's been staying on the bus longer than that, this person who really was the biggest factor in the win over ND. Seems like someone would be burning the midnight oil to figure out how to get her more involved. Being just a frosh I find it hard to put all the blame on her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please don’t be discouraged by the tone from some of our respondents. Your point is as valid for discussion as any other here

Reaction Score
I like this idea, particularly if it was in a rotation with Collier and others. Not sure I agree about her being quicker and you would have to also consider that while Gabby and Collier are guarded by slower "bigs," CW typically faces a smaller and quick small forward or guard.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking about this for some time. Before the season, I had suggested Lou, but then you take your best 3-pt shooter away from the 3-pt line. Megan was the logical replacement for Gabby, but she’s not quite as versatile as Gabby, at this point in her career. That leaves Christyn, who clearly has the ability to pass, shoot or drive to the basket from the foul line. Whether she’s ready to assume the role of UConn running their offense through her 13 games into her freshman season, as they did with Gabby, is my only question.

Reaction Score
Actually she's been staying on the bus longer than that, this person who really was the biggest factor in the win over ND. Seems like someone would be burning the midnight oil to figure out how to get her more involved. Being just a frosh I find it hard to put all the blame on her.

CW, I am her big fan, The ND game wasn't an anomaly but it hasn't been repeated either. Some say she hit the Frosh wall, I think she shocked ND and other teams are ready for her. She'll work out of it; she'll understand the game at this level better. Geno is playing her correctly. Play, learn, play--teach on the side line. He gave her time to work through the issues at Baylor. You can bet your new bippy that the Staff is working with her. She is NOT DT in personality, in talent--maybe.
My goodness gracious--why in the world would anyone put the blame on her or ONO both talented and both willing to work. She just needs a push to achieve and she shall.
There are about 8 people maybe 9 counting CW that are trying to figure out how to get her more shots and I'll bet she has free run of when to shoot. She apparently defers to the seniors.

Reaction Score
I agree with HopJim that a guard or small forward will be guarding her at the high post. IMO one of the reasons for the tactic of employing a high post is that you bring a big out to guard you and that opens up the middle. The high low action in that regard is hugely effective as we saw with Gabby passing down low to Pheesa. Gabby was unique in her ability to drive by the forward or center guarding her with either hand. Christyn may have that ability, but she'll be doing it against a smaller, quicker defender. Also, being smaller, she won't be able to pass over people and she may even get hemmed in at the high post.

I respectfully think that we're barking up the wrong tree. I want to see us use an excessive amount of dribble penetration, finish if its there, or pitch to an open spot up shooter, and last but not least, crash the offensive boards. And of course find Phees on the blocks.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Emoticon or not, don't you think your response was just a touch snarky, given that the OP was polite, not ego-driven, gave credit to another BYer for the idea and almost apologized for even suggesting it before he/she was done?
At a time when folks say that some longtime BYers are leaving because of attitude among some participants and the mods are expressing frustration with some of the attitude around here, well, maybe it'd be good to encourage polite new posters. Just sayin'.
You're absolutely correct, as is @HuskyNan in calling me out, without actually saying it was I specifically.
@Pre-3 Please accept my apology for my outburst and snarkiness.
I have not been very successful at trying not to post such "nasty" posts and will try harder.
Again, my apologies to all.
I did delete my post but it will live on in infamy, as it should, in the BYers who replied to it.
Again, I apologize for offending one and all in this thread.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely correct, as is @HuskyNan in calling me out, without actually saying it was I specifically.
@Pre-3 Please accept my apology for my outburst and snarkiness.
I have not been very successful at trying not to post such "nasty" posts and will try harder.
Again, my apologies to all.
I did delete my post but it will live on in infamy, as it should, in the BYers who replied to it.
Again, I apologize for offending one and all in this thread.
Of course, you da man.

Reaction Score
I agree with HopJim that a guard or small forward will be guarding her at the high post. IMO one of the reasons for the tactic of employing a high post is that you bring a big out to guard you and that opens up the middle. The high low action in that regard is hugely effective as we saw with Gabby passing down low to Pheesa. Gabby was unique in her ability to drive by the forward or center guarding her with either hand. Christyn may have that ability, but she'll be doing it against a smaller, quicker defender. Also, being smaller, she won't be able to pass over people and she may even get hemmed in at the high post.

I respectfully think that we're barking up the wrong tree. I want to see us use an excessive amount of dribble penetration, finish if its there, or pitch to an open spot up shooter, and last but not least, crash the offensive boards. And of course find Phees on the blocks.

she's 5'11", as tall as Gabby, and, as you said, will be guarded by smaller players. I see no problem getting passes off. and as quick as defenders might be, she will be as quick, or quicker. the one problem might be her obvious lack of experience. but, as I said, she's not getting enough touches now, so maybe something like this would help. I would be curious to see what she would do if she got the ball in that area. I wouldn't even mind seeing her at the point . she's very special, and very creative. why not? especially with the patty-cake schedule coming up.

Reaction Score
she's 5'11", as tall as Gabby, and, as you said, will be guarded by smaller players. I see no problem getting passes off. and as quick as defenders might be, she will be as quick, or quicker. the one problem might be her obvious lack of experience. but, as I said, she's not getting enough touches now, so maybe something like this would help. I would be curious to see what she would do if she got the ball in that area. I wouldn't even mind seeing her at the point . she's very special, and very creative. why not? especially with the patty-cake schedule coming up.
I want to see some creative ways to get her the ball too. My theory is that we are not breaking down the defense, so no one is getting any space to operate. Reason for me asking for dribble penetration. I love to see guards posting up low too. That’s what Oscar Robertson did so well. (Yes, I remember that) Kyrie is actually tough in low block since he has so many shots and can hang in the air.
Come on- are you really comparing Christyn’s size with Gabby’s. Two totally different body types and physical attributes. Wow- Charles Barkley is the same height as Bradley Beal. Give me a break!

Reaction Score

Ok, a different slant. Since everything seems to be making sence so far. How about passing her thru the high post occasionally and just letting her create. (I suggest this because I firmly believe she is special in every way. We have not begun to see all that is CW !

Reaction Score
One more point, not to be contrarian. Bigs are reluctant to pressure a high post. Gabby had the added advantage that the bigs were afraid of her driving by them. One more factor- sorry to remind us- Gabby couldn’t hit that elbow J consistently, so another reason bigs laid off her. So, at the very least, it will be a different dynamic with CW.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Christyn playing the post? Uh, what was that line of McEnroe's. You know, something about you can't be, er . . .

Reaction Score
Christyn playing the post? Uh, what was that line of McEnroe's. You know, something about you can't be, er . . .
Let's not confuse lo post. Hi post. Of course lo post would not be possible. Hi post, with a killer jump shot and monster blow by a little more believable.

Reaction Score
Gabby played the high post because she couldn’t hit the three. Since CW is a great three-Point shooter, this would be a waste of her talent in that area. The whole thing is moot, because Geno isn’t running a high-low this year. That is certainly why the offense is not as effective; the team is playing an entirely new scheme. They have two months to get comfortable; given the UConn track record, they are almost certain to get there by March.

Reaction Score
I would think the smaller player guarding CW would be an advantage. Since they typically won’t have the length of a big, the pressure will be on the defender to decide to close out on CW or double down on Collier. Either way, that leaves a player with an option to score. Plus it would help prevent bigs from clogging the lane. You could essentially run a mini triangle with CW at the high post, Collier in the middle, and Samuelson or Dangerfield in the corner. Obviously it depends on the opponent UConn faces, too. Still, different offensive schemes are fun to daydream about!

Reaction Score
My 2-cents; CW is playing her right position. We are (and have) discounting how unique Gabby was as a player. Think about her play in the WNBA as an undersized forward. We do not have such a player.
What I am shocked about is the lack of drives to the basket by the guards. They do not break defenses down by driving into the teeth of the defense. Of course Uconn's offense is about passes and ball reversals, etc. But one of the things I liked and forever remembered were her drives and her backing out if she had nothing. Dangerfield seems to be quite a different player, or a player that the team must protect at all cost, something that is obvious in how she defends others. In fact, I would say that Collier and Samuelson are really the ones driving into seams of the defense. Lastly, Walker should move more, quicker, and with a purpose aimed at going to the rim or stop and pop. Role is not a word I like but, it is hard to see whe has the body, skills to shoot inside and outside, but she disappear in the mix.

Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking about this for some time. Before the season, I had suggested Lou, but then you take your best 3-pt shooter away from the 3-pt line. Megan was the logical replacement for Gabby, but she’s not quite as versatile as Gabby, at this point in her career. That leaves Christyn, who clearly has the ability to pass, shoot or drive to the basket from the foul line. Whether she’s ready to assume the role of UConn running their offense through her 13 games into her freshman season, as they did with Gabby, is my only question.
I'm now have been and shall to the end Be a huge FAN of MW and CW. Walker in the Baylor game or the Houston game was under the boards-- I ASSUME that is where Geno wants her. Given the opportunities, she has rebounded well and is shooting so much better. In recent games she has been open, begging, and not getting passes. Phee has made near impossible passes to her and it worked for a score.
If you are suggesting CW play the high post and allow Phee and Megan low--I agree. Cw then has a dozen options; some of which: Pass to either down low, off to Danger, shoot the 3, dribble drive. No she's not a Gabby leaper (who is?). As talented as she is she will keep the defense nearly fixated on herself ON Gabby-Walker--Gabby didn't become Gabby until near the end of her 3rd year. Megan, while sitting a long while last season, has a lot of catching up to do this year. What will next year bring for her??

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Now this thread is great basketball talk! :) More of this, please.

The Defense thread is also a fine example of intelligent, civilized discussion.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don’t think it has to be limited to just one player in the high post. I think Pheesa, Megan, or Lou in the low post, and any of the three or Christyn at the high post would work. They can all hit from 15-18, pick-and-roll, give-and-go, pass, or drive effectively.

Reaction Score
Just like players changing defenses on the fly, why can't the high post change on the fly?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom