Lifted from Cincy's CR Board | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lifted from Cincy's CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please stop with the Temple Fantasies. The Owls barely register in their own city let alone across the entire state of PA. I can assure you that nobody outside of a group of fans living on The WV Border gives a rip about any of the other teams in The Big 12 either. Not Texas, not OU, not KU. If somehow the Big 12 was able to fleece PA cable subscribers into paying for their network I would be stunned.

People are downsizing and cord cutting, not looking to subsidize junk they have no intention of ever watching. Sorry but Temple is where they belong for their program. They have a heck of a lot more in common with an AD like Tulane or ECU than they do with Texas or Kansas.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Did he just try to sneak in that USF was competitive academically???

Reaction Score
Please stop with the Temple Fantasies. The Owls barely register in their own city let alone across the entire state of PA. I can assure you that nobody outside of a group of fans living on The WV Border gives a rip about any of the other teams in The Big 12 either. Not Texas, not OU, not KU. If somehow the Big 12 was able to fleece PA cable subscribers into paying for their network I would be stunned.

People are downsizing and cord cutting, not looking to subsidize junk they have no intention of ever watching. Sorry but Temple is where they belong for their program. They have a heck of a lot more in common with an AD like Tulane or ECU than they do with Texas or Kansas.
Why...they mudstomped mighty PSU...again...old guard thinking...

Reaction Score

Get out of Newark once in a while. You don't seem to know anything about PA. UConn lost to Yale last year in bball. That didn't mean anything for Yale's popularity in state.

Reaction Score
Get out of Newark once in a while. You don't seem to know anything about PA. UConn lost to Yale last year in bball. That didn't mean anything for Yale's popularity in state.
Newark////i live in Albany,NY.......BUT ok.....upstater settles this as he understands better than anyone else here.....the future of Temple athletics potential.....arrogance before the fall...

Reaction Score

LOL. Congrats to Temple on beating PSU for the first time in 75 years. Let their AD know that he should keep checking the mailbox for that golden ticket to The Big 12 Conference which should be arriving any day now. I just hope it doesn't get lost in the mail like App State's ACC invite or Georgia Southern's well earned SEC nod. SMDH.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree Temple is a fantasy but it is a thought. However, you talk as if cable subscribers have a choice on what channels are added. Last I checked no one asked me if I wanted SNY added and I can assure you no one asked NJ residents if they wanted the B1G network added. If you pay for cable you get the networks that are in your package. Yes you can decide to cut the cord if your bill gets too high due to all these networks being added and driving up costs but it's not something the majority of people are doing yet. I have a feeling that many residents in Eastern PA and even some of South Jersey would find a Big 12 Network on their list of networks if they whole thing ever came to fruition.

That being said, I seriously doubt Temple even gets a sniff. The only reason we're even mentioning them is because outside of us, they are the last program in the Boston-DC corridor that is not in the P5 and could give the ACC a foothold somewhere should they ever get a network.

pj

Reaction Score
If a channel tips the balance for 1% of households to decide to get cable or not, it will be carried, even if the other 99% don't care. But there has to be a 1% with passion for the content.

Reaction Score
Houston is just so redundant and in a city with over 2 million they can barely get 35k people to come to football games because NO ONE CARES

LOL

Houston is 11. Everybody else fighting for 12th. UConn's candidacy emerged after Cincy failed to impress.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
LOL

Houston is 11. Everybody else fighting for 12th. UConn's candidacy emerged after Cincy failed to impress.
Where do you get this? No one thinks that but a Cougar fan. If there is a network, Houston brings little to the table. Expanding the footprint is the best thing the Big 12 can do. Cinnci has tried to do everything to get in front of the line and unless the companies studying the schools comes up with something we don't know about- it is UC, UCONN and BYU in the mix. If the Sunday thing is an issue, then it is UC and UCONN.

Reaction Score
Houston to B12 is dead in the water. They are THIRD in their own home market (which is a city, not a state). In addition, their market is already more than covered by the B12, so adding Houston does nothing for a network.

They've lost to UConn this year in Football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

Several B12 reporters have already reported Houston is a no go.

Reaction Score
LOL

Texas isn't going to let Houston in when it's planning on poaching your head coach within the next few years.

Reaction Score
Eastern PA does not care about Temple

Agree. Having lived in the Philadelphia area for over 30 years, Temple has always played minor league to Penn States major league. Everyone follows Penn State weather or not they went there. Temple has long talked about their own stadium and it will make them a big draw all of a sudden. I really don't see it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
LOL

That would be the same type of short-sighted moves that has put the B12 in their current predicament. The B12's biggest weakness is their footprint. UH is a good candidate for P5 membership but unless they bring in 4 it's tough to rationalize.

Reaction Score
That would be the same type of short-sighted moves that has put the B12 in their current predicament. The B12's biggest weakness is their footprint. UH is a good candidate for P5 membership but unless they bring in 4 it's tough to rationalize.

That's why its scary. This is the Big 12 we are talking about. Welcome to the conference Houston and Rice.

Reaction Score
http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Reply/MSMoose-Reply-43802519

Sorry for not posting since Big 12 meetings, travel has been brutal!!!

I want to bring attention to what Television Providers and or Conferences look at when determining if a Conference Network is viable?

1.) Who are the providers in the State?
2.) Existing carrier contracts, per state, per user?
3.) Number of cable households?
4.) Percentage of cable households?
5.) Number of households without cable?

So for example if State "A" is predominantly controlled by Comcast, and the Carrier contract stipulates predetermined cost per station, or per package that will affect the bottom line.

Another example would be if State "A" has 1.9 million cable households, with 50% cable households, versus State "B" having 1.9 million cable households, with 20% cable households, what state has the best growth? Of course population, demographics, alumni base all factor in as well.

The reason I bring this up, is the studies provided to Television Networks and or Conferences are thorough and wide ranging, the shear depth of the studies are amazing. The studies the Big 12 Conference is having developed are not any different, in fact is some regards they are more advanced as the environment of college athletics has changed.

Don't worry UC is fine! UCONN unlike is a market that is more spread out, so additional studies are done to determine the reach, as well as the stability of that reach.

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Reply/MSMoose-Reply-43803480

Well, I thought with the studies already completed, that we would have heard something on expansion in late January, early February. However, Commissioner Bowlsby met with Boren and Gee, and it was decided to hold on expansion, and to lump all three initiatives into one plan. Therefore, now the Big 12 has hired two outside firms to compile studies on all three initiatives.

That said, I believe yes a decision will be made in May, and soon thereafter we will here the direction the Big 12 has chosen to pursue. What is not mentioned is the scheduled ACC and PAC 12 meetings, and how they may or may not affect the Big 12 decisions. The ACC has a host of issues of to resolve, none more importantly than the ACC Network issue. My colleagues and I expect ESPN to further delay an ACC Network, with short term additional revenue bump for the ACC. Not sure this will be looked on favorably by some ACC Members. The PAC 12 after failing at negotiations with AT&T is trying to move forward, however the Conference Members want movement, as their is deep concern on the long term financial picture for the conference. Of interest is recent involvement by CBS Sports in discussions with the PAC 12, keep an eye on this as well. Also, if the Big 12 decides to expand, then you should expect the PAC 12 will as well, and Houston would be the first addition, followed likely by New Mexico.

The Big Ten and Big 12 are watching the ACC. The ACC is watching the Big 12's pursuit of a network. The PAC 12 is watching the Big 12 on expansion. The SEC is also watching, but not as closely.

Reaction Score
LOL

Just visited the UH scout board. There is a discussion on going about your inclusion into the PAC 12.....
latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr