Lifted from Cincy's CR Board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lifted from Cincy's CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Temple is interesting not for the fact that their own fans aren't interested in Temple but that Texas and OU maybe KU fans on the easy coast would be able to see their teams play in a major city with all the accommodations that come with it. Yes it could feel like road games for Temple when they are playing at home. Maybe playing in an NFL stadium.

I'm not saying Temple is worthy but if it's about seats, eyeballs, money well maybe. If I lived un the Philly area even if I'm not a Temple fan would I go to see a good to great Texas or OU football game maybe. Would i go to see so top 20 basketball games maybe.

Not sure I even buy my own reasoning but could make since long-term.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Temple is interesting not for the fact that their own fans aren't interested in Temple but that Texas and OU maybe KU fans on the easy coast would be able to see their teams play in a major city with all the accommodations that come with it. Yes it could feel like road games for Temple when they are playing at home. Maybe playing in an NFL stadium.

I'm not saying Temple is worthy but if it's about seats, eyeballs, money well maybe. If I lived un the Philly area even if I'm not a Temple fan would I go to see a good to great Texas or OU football game maybe. Would i go to see so top 20 basketball games maybe.

I'm with you, it basically boils down to cable boxes. If the formula for the B12 expansion starts with cable boxes (and it must!), and if there is no hope to peel off a couple ACC teams to fill #13 and #14, then Temple could be on the radar for slot #14 of the B12 expansion. A lot has to happen, including a convincing argument from Temple that its committed to big time sports. I happen to visit Philly from time to time and I can see decent signs of renewed urbanism in center city.

B12 dream scenario: UConn & Cincy followed by FSU & Clemson
B12 more plausible scenario - if the ACC holds together: UConn & Cincy followed by the winner of the USF&UCF beauty pageant and the winner of a Memphis&Temple pageant.
Other acceptable schools for the last two slots: BYU (national following, travel well) & Navy (DC market - but alas probably zero cable pricing power for MD&VA tv packages...limited non football content too).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm late to the party here, but the post cited in the OP is the only time I've seen an outsider state that UConn football would improve instantly upon getting a P5 slot. That's something that needs to be pushed.

Reaction Score
Temple only come into play if the Big XII decides to add 4 and BYU isn't one them. In that case I think the first three adds are UConn, Cincy and either USF or UCF.

The fourth add would likely come from Memphis, Houston, Temple and either USF or UCF. I think Temple has a reasonable case to make if those are the four options.
Houston adds nothing to the Big XII that it doesn't already have, although I suppose Texas politics could enter into it.
The remaining Florida school would be the fifth best Florida option.
Memphis would probably be the front runner.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Houston is just so redundant and in a city with over 2 million they can barely get 35k people to come to football games because NO ONE CARES

Houston is the #5 metro area with more than 6 million people. Slightly smaller than #4, Dallas-Fort Worth, which is closing in on 7 million.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Until I see evidence otherwise, my sense is that Temple doesn't pull Philly enough to justify this. The city is divided amongst 5 basketball schools, and for football they're PSU fans.

I mean, a lot may have changed but they were thrown out of the old Big East.
It doesn't matter if the city cares about Temple or not. The reality is, there are a lot of cable boxes in the area that would pull on the Big12 Network should Temple be added in this hypothetical game. The same is true of Rutgers and the B1G. Clearly, as we have all stated over and over again, Rutgers was not added for their athletic powers. By adding Rutgers, the B1G got their network in one of the largest DMAs out there. It was an instant money maker. Adding Temple and UConn could be seen in the same light should the Big 12 ever get a network. It would also lock the ACC out of the region should they ever pursue a network.

Reaction Score
Why would The Big 12 agree to adding teams and a conference championship when the weakest teams are all in one division? That would prove their stupidity as a conference.

Actually, that is exactly how you would want to split the conference. You'd want your strongest division champion to have a good showing in the CCG (improving it's chances to make the National playoffs). Also, if you split Texas and Oklahoma in different divisions (with a protected crossover), you'd have them playing their annual game, then a possible rematch in the CCG. Not good.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if the city cares about Temple or not. The reality is, there are a lot of cable boxes in the area that would pull on the Big12 Network should Temple be added in this hypothetical game. The same is true of Rutgers and the B1G. Clearly, as we have all stated over and over again, Rutgers was not added for their athletic powers. By adding Rutgers, the B1G got their network in one of the largest DMAs out there. It was an instant money maker. Adding Temple and UConn could be seen in the same light should the Big 12 ever get a network. It would also lock the ACC out of the region should they ever pursue a network.
Completely agree but the B1G's had RU on an unofficial ''waiting list'' for a long time waiting for any excuse to add them.... Old time relationships..at least thats my observation following them since ''63'',,,,,,after UConn no one has a better demo than Temple or recruiting grounds in the NE.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting point. Temple would only really make sense if they were being smart and serious with a Big12 Network. Getting UConn and Temple gives them a foothold in the NYC/Philly area as well as some spill over towards DC though not really close. This would be the smartest move UConn/Temple in terms of getting a network off the ground and in as many households as possible. It would also block the ACC completely out of the NYC/Philly area. Syracuse and Pitt don't have enough pull in either of those areas.

That being said, I can't see it happening and seeing how Cincy seems to be a lock for whatever reason, I don't see the Big 12 going to 14. So it's likely going to be Cincy and a plus one. Hopefully we're the plus one.
I doubt the Big 12 is smart enough to add Temple but they should.

Reaction Score

you sir have vision.

Reaction Score

If it is about a network, B12 should definitely look into Temple and UCONN combo. It would get them plenty of additional cable boxes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Playing the "what if" game, if the Big12 were to add UConn and Temple they could do a lot worse than leverage some NFL NFC East dislike between Cowboys, Eagles and Giants fans. Plenty enough rivalry amongst those teams and fan bases that would cross over in to NCAA football. Not sure how to make it work, but there are seeds of dislike between the metro populations.

pj

Reaction Score
If the B12 is pissed at the ACC for trying to block them with Louisville, there would be no better way to strike back than Temple and UConn. Combined with the B1G's Rutgers and Maryland, it permanently displaces the ACC from the heart of the northeast.

Reaction Score
No they don't. And they don't think long-term. But in essence if they took Uconn and Temple (Temple invest the Mooney in Athletics) the B1G cuts off NYC from the south, UConn cuts it off from the North, B1G takes DC and PA, B12 stacks on In PA taking biggest metropolitan area Philly. ACC would be East/South Conference with a Western turn in the Mid-Atlantic, waste lands of NY to BC.

Your move!

Need to think long-term. OU/Texas/KU/rivalry game Uconn/WV all heading to Philly every other or every 4 years. Conference basketball tournament in Philly/Brooklyn.

Checkmate!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't bet against them ....lets check back in 5 yrs......Philly area alone could justify them..You know who i root for but i like them..

Reaction Score
No they don't. And they don't think long-term. But in essence if they took Uconn and Temple (Temple invest the Mooney in Athletics) the B1G cuts off NYC from the south, UConn cuts it off from the North, B1G takes DC and PA, B12 stacks on In PA taking biggest metropolitan area Philly. ACC would be East/South Conference with a Western turn in the Mid-Atlantic, waste lands of NY to BC.

Your move!

Need to think long-term. OU/Texas/KU/rivalry game Uconn/WV all heading to Philly every other or every 4 years. Conference basketball tournament in Philly/Brooklyn.

Checkmate!
Your right....this is chess,,,,not checkers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom