Life Moves Fast: Pat Fitzgerald Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Life Moves Fast: Pat Fitzgerald Out

Reaction Score
My son was a sophomore at NU in the autumn of 1995, the year Fitzgerald captained them to the Big 10 title and Rose Bowl. I was taking my father, daughter and younger son to Evanston for the Iowa game (NU hadn’t defeated the Hawkeyes in 25 years). Flying into O’Hare out of New Haven, we were about to enter our landing pattern when the pilot informed us the runway was iced. We had to divert to Peoria.

Three+ hours on Peoria’s tarmac…..pre cellphones (for me anyway). By the time we arrived in Chicago, it was too late to make the game, which NU won………..but Fitz broke his leg, ending his season and Rose Bowl dream.

He has been an NU, and Chicago, legend. I make no apologies for what he may, or may not, have known about the alleged harassment. I just want to express dismay.

Go Wildcats!

Reaction Score
My son was a sophomore at NU in the autumn of 1995, the year Fitzgerald captained them to the Big 10 title and Rose Bowl. I was taking my father, daughter and younger son to Evanston for the Iowa game (NU hadn’t defeated the Hawkeyes in 25 years). Flying into O’Hare out of New Haven, we were about to enter our landing pattern when the pilot informed us the runway was iced. We had to divert to Peoria.

Three+ hours on Peoria’s tarmac…..pre cellphones (for me anyway). By the time we arrived in Chicago, it was too late to make the game, which NU won………..but Fitz broke his leg, ending his season and Rose Bowl dream.

He has been an NU, and Chicago, legend. I make no apologies for what he may, or may not, have known about the alleged harassment. I just want to express dismay.

Go Wildcats!

Cool story bro.

Reaction Score
I don't get the sexual stuff that so often goes along with it. Why would they want to be naked rubbing up on each other? That should be weird and humiliating for all of them.
Just curious of how one with an avatar of a super hero sitting on a toilet would be disturbed by much of anything. Pictures speak louder than words. Again just curious. :confused:

Reaction Score
Looking at this from another angle, it seems like the convenient excuse to get rid of Fitzgerald to get out from under a expensive contract. He hasn't been lighting it up - 2019 (3-9) 2020 (7-2 but crazy COVID season) 2021 (3-9) and 2022 (1-10). He's owed a boatload of millions that I predcict he'll get down the road when he wins a case. Much like with Kevin Ollie.
Maybe he takes up golf as therapy and joins the PGA tour.

Reaction Score
In the span of about a week there's already almost a dozen people backing up the original claims and the investigation said the claims were true.

Your little hot take is only going to get worse as time goes on and more people come out.
No one's saying it didn't happen. To the extent that Fitzgerald knew about it and encouraged it is where the (potential) story is.

Reaction Score
I thought the allegations were brought forward by the The Daily Northwestern which is the student newspaper. I believe the journalists are students. That makes them bigger stars than the football players?
My point is that the school itself is known for journalism - which is why most of its prominent alums have been the lead cheerleaders as they nuke the football program.

Reaction Score
And people want to join a conference full of degenerates! Give me the Big12!!!

I kid.
Hey do you want to be in a conference with Rutgers? :D

Truthfully, if the B1G called, we will accept. I doubt SEC or Pac10 would call us and if the ACC falls apart, it will be interesting.

Reaction Score
There's too many B1G schools in close proximity to NU so it would make sense for the B1G to eject them and replace them with UConn, thus bringing more geographical balance to the league while staking out a new territory in New England.
Less travel for UConn too.

Reaction Score
There's too many B1G schools in close proximity to NU so it would make sense for the B1G to eject them and replace them with UConn, thus bringing more geographical balance to the league while staking out a new territory in New England.
Less travel for UConn too.

Eject? I mean they didn’t seriously consider doing that to Penn State.

Reaction Score
Eject? I mean they didn’t seriously consider doing that to Penn State.
Why would they eject one of their strongest football programs to bring in UConn??? On the other hand I can see them doing that to a school with a lousy athletic dept and record on the field and just racked by scandal.

Reaction Score
Why would they eject one of their strongest football programs to bring in UConn??? On the other hand I can see them doing that to a school with a lousy athletic dept and record on the field and just racked by scandal.

You’re the only one that sees that.

Reaction Score
No one's saying it didn't happen. To the extent that Fitzgerald knew about it and encouraged it is where the (potential) story is.

My son was a trainer for the team in 2021 - he didn't spend much time in the locker room, but said that he didn't see/hear anything - this came as a complete shock to him. So I don't know what Fitzgerald knew, but this wasn't out in the open for everyone to see or openly talked about.

Reaction Score
My son was a trainer for the team in 2021 - he didn't spend much time in the locker room, but said that he didn't see/hear anything - this came as a complete shock to him. So I don't know what Fitzgerald knew, but this wasn't out in the open for everyone to see or openly talked about.
I would imagine most of what goes on inside a locker-room occurs beyond the eyes and ears of the coach - and when it comes to this type of crude/illicit behavior, that's probably doubly true.

Apparently up to eight former players have now sued Northwestern for sexual/physical/emotional abuse, which the school had to have known was coming when they fired Fitzgerald. At this point, it seems like a blatant scapegoating attempt from a school that wants this story to go away.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sounds like your fruit cup buddies should be in therapy!

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Yeah having your face shoved into some dudes butt (non-consensually) sounds like assault and probably shouldn't be allowed to continue.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This is just another example where society has evolved in a good way.

I would guess those in this thread who don't think this is that big of a deal are older. And those who think it's horrific are younger.

And the younger posters are right here...and... especially considering it's young people who are going to college right now.

Northwestern did the right thing. These antiquated barbaric practices that were accepted in the past need to end.

Reaction Score
I would imagine most of what goes on inside a locker-room occurs beyond the eyes and ears of the coach - and when it comes to this type of crude/illicit behavior, that's probably doubly true.

Apparently up to eight former players have now sued Northwestern for sexual/physical/emotional abuse, which the school had to have known was coming when they fired Fitzgerald. At this point, it seems like a blatant scapegoating attempt from a school that wants this story to go away.
As has been mentioned in articles and referred to in this thread (namely in a post replying directly to you), the coach was throwing up the signal in practice when a freshman would mess up that labels who is to be abused.

What a ridiculous hill you’re choosing to die on

Reaction Score
I agree with Shaky. This stuff is nonsense and best be ended. I remember seeing it get way out of hand, too.

Reaction Score
Sounds like your fruit cup buddies should be in therapy!

They were 16-17-18 in the mid 70s no biggie at all. I know it’s changed and I don’t know enough about what happened to honestly agree or disagree with it I guess. I will guess though if they all played more and went on to the NFL there would’ve been crickets at Northwestern. Just sayin

Reaction Score
As has been mentioned in articles and referred to in this thread (namely in a post replying directly to you), the coach was throwing up the signal in practice when a freshman would mess up that labels who is to be abused.

What a ridiculous hill you’re choosing to die on
So you're choosing to believe that the head coach not only knew the meaning of these signals - which were presumably designed by the players for the specific purpose of keeping their behavior a secret - but then deliberately mimicked them during practice to encourage the further tormenting of their teammates? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's hardly definitive evidence.

I will guess though if they all played more and went on to the NFL there would’ve been crickets at Northwestern. Just sayin
This is one of the things that bothers me, too - not because lesser players deserve to be hazed, but because it makes it sound like only the lesser players were hazed. This type of abusive culture certainly creates a burden for the players, but it was a shared burden. That's why it should have been the players call to keep or remove Pat Fitzgerald.

Reaction Score
So you're choosing to believe that the head coach not only knew the meaning of these signals - which were presumably designed by the players for the specific purpose of keeping their behavior a secret - but then deliberately mimicked them during practice to encourage the further tormenting of their teammates? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's hardly definitive evidence.
There are reports of this in articles. Feel free to read. You don’t even have to use your brain too hard.
This is one of the things that bothers me, too - not because lesser players deserve to be hazed, but because it makes it sound like only the lesser players were hazed. This type of abusive culture certainly creates a burden for the players, but it was a shared burden. That's why it should have been the players call to keep or remove Pat Fitzgerald.
It’s classic bullying. Why would the university not protect the affected minority? It’s likely that not enough players would vote him out, because they’re college kids in a clearly abusive culture; so the abuse would continue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom