OT: - LiAngelo Ball, two other UCLA players arrested in China for shoplifting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: LiAngelo Ball, two other UCLA players arrested in China for shoplifting

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is an incredibly ignorant statement to make. Have you been to China? For those who, you know, obey the law, it is a fantastic place to visit. China is a country full of culture, amazing scenery, great food and nice people. Then again, I don't just sit there and judge a place, I have actually lived there for 22 months. But do not ask just me, check out the nearly 100 million people per year who visit the country. Are they making a stupid choice too?

Have you ever been around a major college basketball team? You have a bunch of 18-20 year old males who have never had to follow a GD rule in their lives.

So yeah - they should all be tarred and feathered because this isn't home where when the kids commit a crime the local cops cover it up.

These are people that make a lot of money - they should be able to make a simple determination of risk versus reward.

Reaction Score
China is an amazing, beautiful country for civilized people who obey the law. It's not too much to ask visitors to obey the laws of the country they are invited to visit.
You got it. It is sad to see these people with all the advantages in the world, with such a great opportunity to see such a fascinating country stoop to this level, and for such petty things.

Reaction Score
Have you ever been around a major college basketball team? You have a bunch of 18-20 year old males who have never had to follow a GD rule in their lives.

So yeah - they should all be tarred and feathered because this isn't home where when the kids commit a crime the local cops cover it up.

These are people that make a lot of money - they should be able to make a simple determination of risk versus reward.
Not sure man. Maybe it was because I was out living on my own, paying my own way at 21. I guess I forget some people make super stupid choices at that age.

Reaction Score
Smart people..
LaVar Ball said he has been advised by council not to speak “due to the legal nature of the matter.”
Smart people ... the 3 UCLA knuckleheads, Papa Ball, or the ESPN journalist Markasi incorrectly referencing a mysterious council? :rolleyes:

For at least several days, ideally friendly authorities in Hangzhou provide the 3 UCLA dummies with helpful lessons learned in separate cushy local jails. Not from any direct personal experience, but local jail wardens, guards, and fellow jailed Chinese occasionally extend western expats with slightly less than warm welcomes for lesser offenses. ;)

Thus far, Ball and his 2 fellow UCLA fools haven't made the rounds on mainland expat discussion forums nor even in mainland English newspapers. Ahead of President Trump's arrival in Beijing today, mainland government monitoring may tamp down related discussion and even expedite the 3 UCLA jerks' release to limit shared embarassment.

AFP South China Morning Post: 3 UCLA basketball players arrested

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised that the self-made, do-things-the-right-way crew has made their opinions heard in this thread, but that thinking is distorted by their own experiences and not a basis for any type of reasonable policy. The idea that someone could take joy in the public shaming and humiliation of a 19-year-old kid is actually quite sad. The fact that they could serve real time for what amounts to a speeding ticket is unjust and downright scary to consider. Then again, some of you strike me as the type who are genuine in craving a return to corporal punishment and the like, so my stance that their punishment should include a fine and maybe some community service may come across as soft.

None of this should necessarily preclude people from making jokes or finding creative ways to rub their nose in it when they hit the road, but generally speaking I'm of the mindset that humility can be garnered from an act of entitlement and immaturity without inflicting a trauma that compromises their futures.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Smart people ... the 3 UCLA knuckleheads, Papa Ball, or the ESPN journalist Markasi incorrectly referencing a mysterious council? :rolleyes:

I think the mysterious "council" was the 20 police officers that "descended" on their hotel. Perhaps they sent an air assault unit.

Reaction Score

For at least several days, ideally friendly authorities in Hangzhou provide the 3 UCLA dummies with helpful lessons learned in separate cushy local jails. Not from any direct personal experience, but local jail wardens, guards, and fellow jailed Chinese occasionally extend western expats with slightly less than warm welcomes for lesser offenses. ;)

Thus far, Ball and his 2 fellow UCLA fools haven't made the rounds on mainland expat discussion forums nor even in mainland English newspapers. Ahead of President Trump's arrival in Beijing today, mainland government monitoring may tamp down related discussion and even expedite the 3 UCLA jerks' release to limit shared embarassment.

AFP South China Morning Post: 3 UCLA basketball players arrested
You would think a journalist would know the difference between council, and counsel.

Reaction Score
That is an incredibly ignorant statement to make. Have you been to China? For those who, you know, obey the law, it is a fantastic place to visit. China is a country full of culture, amazing scenery, great food and nice people. Then again, I don't just sit there and judge a place, I have actually lived there for 22 months. But do not ask just me, check out the nearly 100 million people per year who visit the country. Are they making a stupid choice too?

Agreed. I've been there. Great place. Though I admit to having had a lot of trouble with the food. But I was in various places in the north. Try to find a good meal in Harbin. Pretty difficult.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Seriously?

Reaction Score
You have to believe these kids were advised ahead of time, and they MIGHT have done it anyway. I say might because you never really know.

Reactions: pj

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I am hopeful that I can develop greater compassion for people who do and say foolish things. This includes myself.

Reaction Score
Since when does stealing thousands of dollars of goods equate into a speeding ticket? I hope these kids actually do real jail time because of their arrogance and ignorance and lack of respect towards others.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
China is an amazing, beautiful country for civilized people who obey the law. It's not too much to ask visitors to obey the laws of the country they are invited to visit.

And do you know what those laws are? Do you know in the U.S.? I guarantee you there is not a person alive who knows all of the laws of either country. In this country we do know that there is a system that has a chance of treating us fairly (some would say otherwise). In China, there is not. Not saying there aren't good reasons to visit there, but it carries with it a degree of risk that I don't think is fully appreciated. The same is true of many other countries.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seriously?

Yes quite seriously.

When you create a culture around your sport where student-athletes rarely pay any price for serious criminal transgressions, dropping the product of that culture into China is a horrific idea.

The entire sport is built on corruption and criminal activity. That most people are naive or don’t want to acknowledge this reality doesn’t excuse the highly paid administrators who profit from the grift.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom