2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems logical the only way we don't get him, is if he wants a bag of money or really hates the cold lol
I just checked the weather in his hometown of Richardson, Texas (new level of Boneyard insane obsession) and it is currently 49 degrees. So not that bad here in comparison. Also, they have dogs in Texas.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Mcneeley is from a basketball family. Basketball families look at coaching. They look at the sets. They look at how he will be used. Uconn makes too much sense

It makes perfect sense.

Michigan's a fine basketball school and May obviously has charisma but...

A coach/program with a proven track record of winning titles, and the best offense in MCBB, which happens to be perfect for his game

vs.

An unproven coach who hasn't shown he can win games at the high-major level--much less resurrect a program in turmoil

The back-to-back champion is making YOU the centerpiece of their postseason recruiting! You're going to turn down a major role in the best offensive in the country to jump into the unknown? Anything can happen but UConn just makes too much sense.

Yeah, NIL, whatever. We'll pay enough to make it not about money.

Reaction Score
It makes perfect sense.

A coach/program with a proven track record of winning titles, and the best offense in MCBB, which happens to be perfect for his game

vs.

An unproven coach who hasn't shown he can win games at the high-major level--much less resurrect a program in turmoil

The back-to-back champion is making YOU the centerpiece of their postseason recruiting! You're going to turn down a major role in the best offensive in the country to jump into the unknown? Anything can happen but UConn just makes too much sense.

Agreed. Also, the point someone made above. He did visit Kansas, Texas as part of his initial visits. Lastly, schools that are salivating for him now are all risks with new coaches and questionable rosters. If Liam’s a one and done, it should be wasted elsewhere where Kentucky, Michigan, Arkansas and Alabama are all in turmoil.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It makes perfect sense.

vs.

That’s a great point.

Hurley and co. know how to pitch this thing.

He’s going to have the best coaching staff and best pitch men telling him how he can maximize his potential and getting the red carpet treatment from the top basketball program in the world.

Reaction Score
Why did he choose IU to begin with if he didn't like the coach? Seems odd you would commit somewhere assuming the coach would be gone. Especially not knowing the future coach.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I like the confidence but it’s a bit early for a victory lap…

IMG_7935.jpeg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's kind of stupid how good of a fit he would seem to be... Really hoping we land this kid.
Ive been trying to temper my coveting when it comes to late player adds via recruiting and portal, just to protect my own personal sanity and blunt potential future feelings of disappointment if something doesn't work out, but despite my best efforts I am totally unsuccessful in this case. He's absolutely perfect for this team. The way everything has lined up with our departures and his decommit and his skill set adds up to your spot on assessment of "stupid good fit". I want him here. Badly.

Reaction Score
This ain't Barnum and Bailey. We don't need a pitch. Read the Borges article, they just want to understand how Liam fits. Roll tape of us and Liam side by side. Point out how his skills and style of play fit into and even mirror our system. The product sells itself, just need to point out all of it's features, and all the while sell the University as well. I'm sure President Maric would be happy to meet Liam and his family.

Reaction Score
I remember following Timberlake's instagram follows like they were the Zapruder film, which in retrospect is hilarious for lots of reasons. So I won't get sucked into that again.

The basketball clearly seems like the right fit here; hopefully the other stuff is as well.

Reaction Score
This isn't quite like a normal recruiting visit for an uncommitted HS prospect. It's almost May. I would assume Hurley or whatever coach he commits to will want him on campus relatively soon? His timeline for a decision is probably going to be a lot quicker than if this were a full year ahead of his freshman season. He's probably 4-6 weeks from being on a college campus. Being first in line and the only visit scheduled in this instance is probably a very good thing.

Reaction Score
Why did he choose IU to begin with if he didn't like the coach? Seems odd you would commit somewhere assuming the coach would be gone. Especially not knowing the future coach.
Great question and does make you wonder. Woodson must be a hell of a salesman, because he’s not really showing much else out there. Cal school of coaching it seems.

Reaction Score
Football will always be king, but Michigan has an incredibly rich basketball heritage. They have more Final Fours, more weeks ranked, etc. They're not as good a program as UConn, but they're good enough that with the massive financial disparity they have in their favor, they will always pose a threat and will always be able to field good basketball teams provided they don't have a dumpster fire of a coach.

The B1G and SEC are going to have more and more teams that are good at both football and basketball consistently...
They have huge financial resources in the B1G but Sports also has half a billion in loans on recent facilities, and who even knows about the Big House and its needs.

The school is not going to funnel a lot of that extra money to sports when it shells out $30-$40m a year on interest payments.

Reaction Score
After reading the Borges article, I just don’t see any other schools on his list that check every box the way UConn does. Fit/style of play? We’re perfect for him. Role on the team next year? We absolutely have a need and space for him, but we’re also not in the middle of a total roster overhaul. We can talk to him about his role with a pretty good sense of who he’d be playing alongside. Development? Hurley and co. Are masterful and have proven they can get guys into the NBA year-over-year, and it’s only improved as our level of talent has risen.

I don’t see a single other coach/program that’s been connected to him recently who have a track record of delivering on all of the above.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This ain't Barnum and Bailey. We don't need a pitch. Read the Borges article, they just want to understand how Liam fits. Roll tape of us and Liam side by side. Point out how his skills and style of play fit into and even mirror our system. The product sells itself, just need to point out all of it's features, and all the while sell the University as well. I'm sure President Maric would be happy to meet Liam and his family.

That is the pitch…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22