2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think it's a good sign.

A week ago folks I talked to said if it was us vs. the field they'd take the field. Now those same folks are saying if it's us vs. the field they'd take us.

Nothing's done yet, obviously. But we're very, very strong here.

wink-arrested.gif

Reaction Score
If he visits and likes what Hurley has to say and likes the culture Hurley built he will pick UConn. If he is just fishing the the biggest pot of gold, Alabama or Arkansas will be his pick. Either way UConn wins. The guys chasing the bags of money don’t care about anything but landing the next bag of money. They tend to be selfish, ball hogs, and bad teammates and it’s why all these 5 star laden teams almost always under achieve.
I am optimistic McNeely is not that type of person, giving us a legit shot

Reaction Score
Listen at the end of the day- as Hurley said if the kid or player is going to start the conversation about how much money can they get it’s probably not a good fit for UConn anyways.

With that said, I would imagine that McNeely knows that already & is coming for a visit not because of just how much money he can make this year- but he understands that in the bigger picture on the player development side this program & staff can put a lot more money in his pockets down the road- like in 2025 2026 draft nights- similar to what Castle is going to soon get.
I think it’s over simplistic to dismiss a young man’s goals or work ethic because they are moved by the offer of more money. Some young people are in situations where more money sooner is extremely important. If it was my son he could afford to be worried about long term earning potential the wanting to win and be part of a team while he had the choice, but not everyone is lucky enough to have that choice.

We should go easier on young men who are moved primarily by the offer of more money when they need the more money at the present time.

Reaction Score
I think it’s over simplistic to dismiss a young man’s goals or work ethic because they are moved by the offer of more money. Some young people are in situations where more money sooner is extremely important. If it was my son he could afford to be worried about long term earning potential the wanting to win and be part of a team while he had the choice, but not everyone is lucky enough to have that choice.

We should go easier on young men who are moved primarily by the offer of more money when they need the more money at the present time.
Agreed. The goal should be to offer among the best NIL packages and the best basketball experience. From there, the coaches can make character a judgement.

I’ve found that people that consider financial factors in their decisions are often among the most responsible. It isn’t necessarily a red flag. It really depends on the attitude and reasoning behind pursuing more money. A kid that wants money for fancy clothes is different from a kid that says he’s opening an IRA or paying off his single mom’s house.

Reaction Score

Yea I am not discouraging any young kid or anyone at all to make as much money as possible given what the market offers them- we are an open market & live in a capitalist country- which I love!

Just repeating what Hurley has now said on multiple occasions as far as how he looks at NIL & recruiting players (just said again yesterday on the Dan Patrick show).

Not sure how you came to that conclusion on the statement I made? I also never even mentioned work ethic- lol.

If it was my son it would be ultimately up to him & he is going to have to pay for college if he chooses to go to college- with that said- I understand either decision & see value in both.

I apologize for the bold text- I cannot figure out how to shut it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Agreed. The goal should be to offer among the best NIL packages and the best basketball experience. From there, the coaches can make character a judgement.

I’ve found that people that consider financial factors in their decisions are often among the most responsible. It isn’t necessarily a red flag. It really depends on the attitude and reasoning behind pursuing more money. A kid that wants money for fancy clothes is different from a kid that says he’s opening an IRA or paying off his single mom’s house.
Should not be dismissed but if it’s a primary motivator it’s likely that it will be seen in locker room and generally be counter culture. NIL also has to be balanced, such that you’re not rocking the boat with current players. Throwing a bag of cash at someone from the outside when you aren’t paying your own is never a good look. Lots to balance.

As someone who evaluates talent for a living, if the dollars are primary and one dismisses aspect of culture and growth, without a grasp of the long term, the behaviors once in seat align with that way of thinking 99% of time. The psychology around it it fairly predictable.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been mentioned on the Yard or not. Supposedly Mark Pope had a Zoom call with Liam yesterday(Wed night). His OV in Storrs can't happen soon enough for me.

Edit:247 Sports reporting-- per Matt Jones-Kentucky Sports Radio

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No. They most definitely are. No one actually thinks Flagg is decomitting. They’re doing it to piss off Duke fans. You must not spend much time on twitter?
You wouldn’t know if I did or didn’t. Let’s put it this way, I’m on there enough to watch you embarrass yourself making the same definitive statements you’re making now. And no they are not all just doing it to piss off Duke fans. Not even close. Some are. Some aren’t .

Reaction Score
Would we want Roach? I don’t know anything about him.

I wouldn’t hate it tbh, I like the idea of having another facilitator on the floor. We are clearly targeting a wing and a shooter, but some more experience at point would be beneficial in my eyes if you miss out on Liam, Koby or hausen.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t hate it tbh, I like the idea of having another facilitator on the floor. We are clearly targeting a wing and a shooter, but some more experience at point would be beneficial in my eyes if you miss out on Liam, Koby or hausen.
We have ( praying for it) Diarra. Thats our experience. Which developing program player do you want to alienate all the way to the portal in exchange for Jeremy Roach?

He’s a good player and seems like a good kid, it’s just tough maintaining a roster.

I too wish fantasy hoops was real and that any player you want to sign or want to keep is happy sitting on the bench “ in case of emergency” , but real world doesn’t really work like that.

And for the record I personally think Hass is better than Roach.

Reaction Score
We have ( praying for it) Diarra. Thats our experience. Which developing program player do you want to alienate all the way to the portal in exchange for Jeremy Roach?

He’s a good player and seems like a good kid, it’s just tough maintaining a roster.

I too wish fantasy hoops was real and that any player you want to sign or want to keep is happy sitting on the bench “ in case of emergency” , but real world doesn’t really work like that.

Don't disagree with you, Cam and Newton and Hass was an experienced backcourt trio. Hass, Ball, and Ross isn't very experienced and, as much as I like ball, he doesn't feel like he has much playmaking chops at this point in his development. Electric scorer and athlete for sure, but in my eyes I see him as energy off the bench in a 6th man role when you need the second unit to beat up on the opponents (presumably) weaker second unit. Perhaps Coach has a different view, this is just my perception of what I've seen from Ball. If we bring in Brea, perhaps he can reasonably fill the Cam void. Whether it's Brea or Roach or someone else, Ross or Ball might get squeezed for starter minutes.

Reaction Score
I don’t like that Cal showed up there. I’m afraid he made Liam a large $ offer(say $1.5 million) that we can’t come close to matching(Dauster reporting we can offer 750k). I do think money matters to some degree here. Single mother, sole proprietor of a startup.
Calipari’s a snake. A smart kid finally sees value incoming to UConn with the back to backs. Clearly, we’re doing something right and it’s something money can’t buy. Let Squid, Self and the rest continue their failed strategy that money will buy championships. Grounded talented kids will take less cash in return for what we can offer.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
No. They most definitely are. No one actually thinks Flagg is decomitting. They’re doing it to piss off Duke fans. You must not spend much time on twitter?
How would this piss off Duke fans? In reality it just makes the UConn posters look kinda pathetic.

Reaction Score

I hate Duke too but I think Roach is a better player than Diarra. Having said that, this doesn’t mean he’s a better fit by any means. If Diarra isn’t coming back I’d take Roach in a second.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been mentioned on the Yard or not. Supposedly Mark Pope had a Zoom call with Liam yesterday(Wed night). His OV in Storrs can't happen soon enough for me.

Edit:247 Sports reporting-- per Matt Jones-Kentucky Sports Radio
Can't imagine Kentucky being in play here. They arrived way late to the party and the fact that he got off that zoom call without scheduling a visit is a great sign. Literally the only thing they can promise him is money and playing time. They have like 2 players on their roster right now and an unproven head coach in his first year on the job. We're in such a better state as a program than they are right now that I'm fully convinced anyone that would pick them over us is solely in it for the $$$, in which case we want nothing to do with those types of guys.

Reaction Score
If he visits and likes what Hurley has to say and likes the culture Hurley built he will pick UConn. If he is just fishing the the biggest pot of gold, Alabama or Arkansas will be his pick. Either way UConn wins. The guys chasing the bags of money don’t care about anything but landing the next bag of money. They tend to be selfish, ball hogs, and bad teammates and it’s why all these 5 star laden teams almost always under achieve.
I am optimistic McNeely is not that type of person, giving us a legit shot

I believe McNeely views himself as a UConn type player and that his gaols and outlook mesh with ours. At this point Hurley's player profile has been widely and repeatedly publicized by Hurley himself, in every interview he does, without fail. Players now need to convince him; not the other way around. I love McNeely, and beleive he will be a Husky, but if not, we'll find another player who fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom