Lexi Gordon | The Boneyard

Lexi Gordon

Reaction Score
MS Gordon has begun her career at Texas Tech, who are also undefeated (10-0). But a review of their schedule showed they have not played anyone of significance. She became eligible at the end of their first semester. In her one and one half years at UCONN she scored a total of 12 points and made 1 three point basket. In her first four games at TTU she has started 2 games, scored a total of 38 points and made 6 of 15 three point baskets attempts. It appears that she made the correct decision to transfer. I always thought that she was a very enthusiastic team player who gave it her all. Hope she has a great career at TTU.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Her 4 game results so far are mixed including bouncing in and out of the starting lineup. However, she is playing > 20 minutes a game and that is a big plus.

I imagine as she gets more acclimated, she will become an important starter on the team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wonder if she has used the time since her departure to get in better physical shape. That was always a big issue at UConn, and when I attended open practices, she was indeed an enthusiastic team member, but she was always last in the sprints (by a wide margin) and was winded before anyone else.

If she has fixed that, she can be a very good player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
MS Gordon has begun her career at Texas Tech, who are also undefeated (10-0). But a review of their schedule showed they have not played anyone of significance. She became eligible at the end of their first semester. In her one and one half years at UCONN she scored a total of 12 points and made 1 three point basket. In her first four games at TTU she has started 2 games, scored a total of 38 points and made 6 of 15 three point baskets attempts. It appears that she made the correct decision to transfer. I always thought that she was a very enthusiastic team player who gave it her all. Hope she has a great career at TTU.

She absolutely made the correct decision to transfer. It was obvious that UConn was not going to work for her, so she did what she had to do. We understood the dynamics of her situation and why she left. She was on the end of the bench without much hope of moving up in the rotation.

She WAS NOT progressing through the program as expected. Like other UConn players that have transferred before her, she (and her parents) very clearly saw the writing on the wall. She didn't need envelopes, tea leaves or a Ouija Board to know what the next two years held in store for her.

Lexie is getting playing time at Texas tech. She's much closer to home (Fort Worth). Now her family and friends can see her play regularly, and she can go home on the weekends during the off season. Couldn't do that at UConn. Sounds like a win-win to me. Good move for Lexie, I wish her and Texas Tech all the best.

Post edit - Congratulations to Lexie. She had her "come out" game today (Sun 12/29) off the bench versus U/Texas-San Antonio. She poured in 31 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and dished out 5 assists in 28 minutes.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It makes you wonder - for most of the kids who leave, PT is the main reason, or perceived lack of PT in the future. I wonder if she had committed herself to getting in better shape if she'd be early off the bench this season- ahead of Molly? Then again, TTU has far less talent, like ASU did where Ekmark was able to shine.

Either way wish her the best. Always root for former UCONN players at their new schools - especially if they leave on good terms...

Carnac

Reaction Score
It makes you wonder - for most of the kids who leave, PT is the main reason, or perceived lack of PT in the future. I wonder if she had committed herself to getting in better shape if she'd be early off the bench this season- ahead of Molly? Then again, TTU has far less talent, like ASU did where Ekmark was able to shine.

Either way wish her the best. Always root for former UCONN players at their new schools - especially if they leave on good terms...

I'm assuming that most "student-athletes" are satisfied with getting a scholarship (free college education) and playing their sport. Winning a national championship is not the reason (end all - be all reason) most recruits choose to go where they go. Look at the ESPN Hoopgurlz rankings for any year. In most cases, the top 8-10 ranked players are blue chip quality players. They have their choice of any of the elite programs in the country that have a realistic chance of winning a NC.

As you go further down the list, the talent level decreases as do the number of offers. The "elite" programs (UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, Mississippi St, Texas A&M, etc, go after the elite players in each class because they have the ability to attract and sign them. Mid-major programs have no chance of signing an elite top 10 recruit. :confused:

Realistically, these players (their parents/camp) know that only a handful of programs have a chance of winning a NC. If they don't have the skill set or an offer to play at those programs, they "get in where they fit in", in an attempt to maximize their college experience. Some simply just want to play and enjoy the experience with the program they feel suits them best.

Look at the players at Oklahoma. They played, they played hard, they competed, they did the best they could. They didn't win, but I'll bet they were happy to have had the opportunity to play the #1 team in the country on national TV, and get that exposure. Sherri Coale knew going in they weren't going to win, but she wanted her girls to compete, play hard and not back down. They did that.

I doubt if Coale ever suggested that they could help the team win a NC when she recruited them. OU is NOT a top 5 team, and has zero chance of getting past the 2nd weekend of the tournament. Athletes that are not "blue chip" level players don't get recruited to "elite" programs, and are happy to get a scholarship period!! ;)

The players that chose to go to schools in the AAC knew going in that there was no chance of winning a NC there. They chose to go to their school of choice for "other" reasons. Happiness is where you find it. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m happy for her and hope she has the very best of a Texas Tech women’s college basketball career. Although it didn’t totally work-out, hopefully she looks upon her time with UConn as being a valuable experience—both on and off the court!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm happy for Lexi. She has talent, but may not have been a good fit for UConn. Yes, her conditioning was a problem. I wonder if she has a medical issue, such as exercise-induced asthma?

Reaction Score

[/QUOTE
As a fair to mid level player myself, and one who loved the game, I empathize with Lexi. I'd rather PLAY in TTU than sit for ANY team. As I often say her AWARDS, banners mean little to me and that's probably true of Lexi but playing is the only reward I wanted.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming that most "student-athletes" are satisfied with getting a scholarship (free college education) and playing their sport. Winning a national championship is not the reason (end all - be all reason) most recruits choose to go where they go. Look at the ESPN Hoopgurlz rankings for any year. In most cases, the top 8-10 ranked players are blue chip quality players. They have their choice of any of the elite programs in the country that have a realistic chance of winning a NC.

As you go further down the list, the talent level decreases as do the number of offers. The "elite" programs (UConn, Baylor, South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, Mississippi St, Texas A&M, etc, go after the elite players in each class because they have the ability to attract and sign them. Mid-major programs have no chance of signing an elite top 10 recruit. :confused:

Realistically, these players (their parents/camp) know that only a handful of programs have a chance of winning a NC. If they don't have the skill set or an offer to play at those programs, they "get in where they fit in", in an attempt to maximize their college experience. Some simply just want to play and enjoy the experience with the program they feel suits them best.

Look at the players at Oklahoma. They played, they played hard, they competed, they did the best they could. They didn't win, but I'll bet they were happy to have had the opportunity to play the #1 team in the country on national TV, and get that exposure. Sherri Coale knew going in they weren't going to win, but she wanted her girls to compete, play hard and not back down. They did that.

I doubt if Coale ever suggested that they could help the team win a NC when she recruited them. OU is NOT a top 5 team, and has zero chance of getting past the 2nd weekend of the tournament. Athletes that are not "blue chip" level players don't get recruited to "elite" programs, and are happy to get a scholarship period!! ;)

The players that chose to go to schools in the AAC knew going in that there was no chance of winning a NC there. They chose to go to their school of choice for "other" reasons. Happiness is where you find it. :)
Well stated! Sherri Coale is one tough lady, nice lady but tough. I'd send my kids to play for her is a heart beat. She treats them well, they play hard, and often play the best. Again, it has been proven "Uconn isn't for everyone" and everyone that doesn't come or transfers isn't broken hearted some love the game and want to play.

Reaction Score
We will likely never know what caused her to transfer or to (hopefully) do well at Tech. Pretty campus likely populated by many she has known for years. 4 1/2 hour drive from Fort Worth, allows family to visit. My daughter turned down a full scholarship to the local state school since she wanted new experiences. Turns out her best friends at college she graduated from were mostly from high school. Who knows what motivates 17-19 year olds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We will likely never know what caused her to transfer or to (hopefully) do well at Tech. Pretty campus likely populated by many she has known for years. 4 1/2 hour drive from Fort Worth, allows family to visit. My daughter turned down a full scholarship to the local state school since she wanted new experiences. Turns out her best friends at college she graduated from were mostly from high school. Who knows what motivates 17-19 year olds.
I think it’s pretty clear why Lexi transferred. In the middle of her sophomore season at UConn she was the last person off the bench with very little opportunity to secure more PT in the future. Under the circumstances, her decision to transfer to a school where she would get substantially more PT was a sound one.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In Tech's game today against UT San Antonio, with TTU leading 54-32 at halftime, Lexi Gordon started and has 15 points on 7-9 shooting, plus 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

The Roadrunners of UTSA are a bad team; their only win over a D1 team was over Incarnate Word, another awful team from San Antonio. It will be interesting to see Lexi and her team play against decent (if not aways great) competition in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
In Tech's game today against UT San Antonio, with TTU leading 54-32 at halftime, Lexi Gordon started and has 15 points on 7-9 shooting, plus 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

The Roadrunners of UTSA are a bad team; their only win over a D1 team was over Incarnate Word, another awful team from San Antonio. It will be interesting to see Lexi and her team play against decent (if not aways great) competition in the Big 12.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why do you continue to focus on Lexi Gordon. She had her shot at UConn and it didn’t work out. Glad she got a second chance. Let’s focus on UConn and moving forward.

I personally don’t see the interest some BY’ers have in Lexie as “focusing” on her. I don’t think a thread of this nature takes anything away from our interest, focus or the fanaticism we have for the women of UConn.

Some of us like to follow (out of curiosity) our transfers (Mikayla Coombs) to see how they perform at their new school. There’s interest in Lexie and Mikayla because they were part of the UConn family for a while. We’re not interested in anyone else on those teams.

I followed all of the recent UConn recruits until they graduated. I follow Charli Collier and Aaliyah Boston. I don’t root or cheer for them, just check their numbers in the box score after every game.

I’m very happy to see Lexie come off the bench and have her breakout game today putting up 31/11/5 for the Red Raiders. I hope she has days like today the rest of the year. Fats Domino found his thrill on Blueberry Hill. It appears Lexie found hers in Lubbock. C’mon Huskie, you’re better than that. Don’t hate, congratulate. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do you continue to focus on Lexi Gordon. She had her shot at UConn and it didn’t work out. Glad she got a second chance. Let’s focus on UConn and moving forward.

What gives you the right to decide what other Basketball stories UConn fans should be allowed to follow? Why do you think they should follow your orders?

It should be pretty easy for you to tell what is going to be discussed in this thread, based on its title. . If you don’t like it, just don’t read it.

Reaction Score
LG was always a class act........................she did her best to recruit other players to UConn when still in high school and enthusiastically cheered for her teammates even as she sat at the end of the bench................if UConn fans ever had a reason to follow a transfer she's it.................. I'm thrilled to see she's getting playing time and wish her great success!!!!

Reaction Score
Amen!

Reaction Score
LG was always a class act........................she did her best to recruit other players to UConn when still in high school and enthusiastically cheered for her teammates even as she sat at the end of the bench................if UConn fans ever had a reason to follow a transfer she's it.................. I'm thrilled to see she's getting playing time and wish her great success!!!!
With this @Charliebball it would appear you too are a class act. Thanks for the good comment on a terrific kid.

Reaction Score
I personally don’t see the interest some BY’ers have in Lexie as “focusing” on her. I don’t think a thread of this nature takes anything away from our interest, focus or the fanaticism we have for the women of UConn.

Some of us like to follow (out of curiosity) our transfers (Mikayla Coombs) to see how they perform at their new school. There’s interest in Lexie and Mikayla because they were part of the UConn family for a while. We’re not interested in anyone else on those teams.

I followed all of the recent UConn recruits until they graduated. I follow Charli Collier and Aaliyah Boston. I don’t root or cheer for them, just check their numbers in the box score after every game.

I’m very happy to see Lexie come off the bench and have her breakout game today putting up 31/11/5 for the Red Raiders. I hope she has days like today the rest of the year. Fats Domino found his thrill on Blueberry Hill. It appears Lexie found hers in Lubbock. C’mon Huskie, you’re better than that. Don’t hate, congratulate. :)
Some kids, like Gordon and Coombs , others, we had great expectations then hopes for them to succeed at Uconn. Our natural desire for them to succeed anywhere is in a word NATURAL. Good kids are good kids and once Uconn we have an affinity towards them. Shoot me, I shall always have a soft spot in my head for Lexi and Coombs. Thanks @Carnac

Reaction Score
You have the right to like anything or dislike anything on the By. You too have the right to not read what offends you.
Some of us felt bad for Lexi as a Uconn kid and it hurt us some when she transferred. So, when she puts up great numbers we want to know it. No disrespect to you or to Lexi we don't 'focus" on Lexi but it too is nice t know a former Uconn kids is doing better now. AEH is also followed and enjoyed at Ms St because some of us expected great things from her--if that happens at Ms St we are very happy for her, no focus, just following a former Uconn kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom