Lets lay off KO, can we please. | The Boneyard

Lets lay off KO, can we please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After having read a number of posts re: Kevin Ollie, and his being outcoached, and how bad he is doing, I really have to ask those who posted this tripe......................What have you been smoking?

KO, is just completing his 2nd full season at the helm. We can all recall his first year. Being named head coach late in the year, taking over a club rent with transfers, dealing with probation, no post season tourney eligibility, the demise of the Big East, and players not his own, shall I continue? What does he do, they go and win 20 games, knocking off powers such as Mich St., and The Cuse. This year they have won over 20 games again, beating powerhouse Florida, and some others, playing in a league that, lets be generous, is not in anyway shape or form the quality of the Big East. OK, right, they were beaten by The Ville, twice, SMU twice, and a lot of you talk about him being outcoached. Well YEAH, duh, being outcoached by Larry Brown and Pitino, both with over 30+ years of coaching experience, better talent, is not a sin. At least not in my way of thinking. With the Ville leaving for the ACC, Rutgers for the Big 10, this league will take on the look of the A-10, or maybe the old Conference USA, hardly the old Big East. SMU, Houston, UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati, is not St. Johns, the Cuse, Nova, Georgetown. KO has to recruit his players, and get his situation down pat. Lets face it, unless the SEC comes on another raiding party, and goes after Miami, and Florida St. the chances of Uconn getting into the ACC are slim and none, and realistically, that is the ONLY place they will be welcome. The Big-10? really, with the abysmal football program, not likely, the SEC? Are you kidding me? Reason? The same, a football program that would have no chance of succeeding there. Face it, we are pretty much relegated to the American Conference for the foreseeable future. I am for giving KO more time then some of you headhunters seem to be doing. Lets hope that Warde Manuel will be doing the same thing. Whatever the outcome of this season, I for one think KO has done a pretty damn good job with what he has.

caw

Reaction Score
I wouldn't even say he was out coached in game urging the second UL game. I mean, what could he do differently, aside from suit up K-Free to push Harrell around? Perhaps the pregame coaching wasn't where it should have been but it's hard to tell when kids are just missing every single shot they take.

The big game he was out coached in game was actually Stanford.

Still not a bad year, he's not a HOF coach after his second regular season but I'd say he was pretty darn good for a second year coach. Like always the postseason will dictate how good the season was. I think it can range from fantastic to slightly disappointing (if 0-2).

Besides who would be a better option? Smart only has taken (his most talented to date) VCU to a similar, if probably lower, seeding. I think there were a number here who thought VCU was the much better team to start the season.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't even say he was out coached in game urging the second UL game. I mean, what could he do differently, aside from suit up K-Free to push Harrell around? Perhaps the pregame coaching wasn't where it should have been but it's hard to tell when kids are just missing every single shot they take.

The big game he was out coached in game was actually Stanford.

Still not a bad year, he's not a HOF coach after his second regular season but I'd say he was pretty darn good for a second year coach. Like always the postseason will dictate how good the season was. I think it can range from fantastic to slightly disappointing (if 0-2).

Besides who would be a better option? Smart only has taken (his most talented to date) VCU to a similar, if probably lower, seeding. I think there were a number here who thought VCU was the much better team to start the season.

The good news is many who looked like HOF coaches their 2nd season somewhere have been fired from that school after going 11-19 the next 3 years………KO will be very good, how good is still with the jury, but if you're not happy with his hiring you're not very bright!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Agree with everything except the CR part. B1G is our only real option and you can tell by the moves the university has been making to increase endowment, campus and facutly population, AAU, graduate-level improvement, improving the football team, etc., that we are going B1G as best we can. Louisville certainly didn't have to worry about academics to get in to the ACC, so why would we be doing all this if we were really going for ACC primarily? BC and Cuse have blocked and will actively block us from entering the ACC as long as they can. And your one reason as to why we don't fit in with the B1G makes no sense. Are you saying MD and RU got in because of their football programs? You're kidding yourself if you think so.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
JC (pick one).

JC had enough years where lots of folks here thought the team underperformed and always had a WTF loss or 3. There were non-NCAA tournament years, not counting banning. Many thought he wasn't much of a set play coach on O.

I don't know how sold I am yet on KO, but his record ain't bad at all and as his experience grows, who knows what he will bring to the table. I for one thought Manuel got roped into hiring him, if only because there was no national serach, but I don't know if any "seasoned" coach could have been doing a whole lot better. Obviously we don't yet know the impact of the league change on national competitiveness for recruiting, but being in a super league doesn't mean a team will be all that great except maybe occasionally, hello Northwestern, Alabama and Ol' Miss to name just a few, and being in a mid-major doesn't mean you won't have some big years, such as Gonzaga, Butler and Wichita this year. I know, I know, those teams usually don't win much over "big time" teams, nor do they win NCs except once in 10 blue moons, but none of that has anything to do with what kind of coach KO is or will become nor does it mean that JC (not the New Testament one) was an annual miracle worker.

Reaction Score
After having read a number of posts re: Kevin Ollie, and his being outcoached, and how bad he is doing, I really have to ask those who posted this tripe.......What have you been smoking?

KO, is just completing his 2nd full season at the helm. We can all recall his first year. Being named head coach late in the year, taking over a club rent with transfers, dealing with probation, no post season tourney eligibility, the demise of the Big East, and players not his own, shall I continue? What does he do, they go and win 20 games, knocking off powers such as Mich St., and The Cuse. This year they have won over 20 games again, beating powerhouse Florida, and some others, playing in a league that, lets be generous, is not in anyway shape or form the quality of the Big East. OK, right, they were beaten by The Ville, twice, SMU twice, and a lot of you talk about him being outcoached. Well YEAH, duh, being outcoached by Larry Brown and Pitino, both with over 30+ years of coaching experience, better talent, is not a sin. At least not in my way of thinking. With the Ville leaving for the ACC, Rutgers for the Big 10, this league will take on the look of the A-10, or maybe the old Conference USA, hardly the old Big East. SMU, Houston, UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati, is not St. Johns, the Cuse, Nova, Georgetown. KO has to recruit his players, and get his situation down pat. Lets face it, unless the SEC comes on another raiding party, and goes after Miami, and Florida St. the chances of Uconn getting into the ACC are slim and none, and realistically, that is the ONLY place they will be welcome. The Big-10? really, with the abysmal football program, not likely, the SEC? Are you kidding me? Reason? The same, a football program that would have no chance of succeeding there. Face it, we are pretty much relegated to the American Conference for the foreseeable future. I am for giving KO more time then some of you headhunters seem to be doing. Lets hope that Warde Manuel will be doing the same thing. Whatever the outcome of this season, I for one think KO has done a pretty damn good job with what he has.

KO is not perfect. He is well compensated. His performance as coach is not above scrutiny.

The other side of having no post season last year is that his team played without pressure. I think he did a nice job.

As you point out other coaches have more experience. That is something he needs to overcome. These games in particular point out the need for KO to adjust in game. Is it tough, you bet, is it the job, you bet.

I think KO has done a very good job but not one above any criticism or second guessing. I believe he is learning and growing.

But here is the most important thing. None of this matters if he is bounced in the first round of the NCAA. March is the only thing that matters. This is the first time he will be tested by fire. I'm a Huskies fan so I hope he wins six games. I will cheer for him and our team. But you think he has been criticized, watch if he flames out in the NCAA. I pray to God it doesn't come to that. Surviving the first week end will add a lot of credibility to his resume.

In lieu of having any information about KO as an NCAA leader, we look for clues in our game performance. The L'ville game gave many folks the jitters, darn straight. If it didn't get your attention --what have you been smoking?

U

UCONNfan1

Honestly, any of the other big conferences would be fine by me. Clearly I think the Big 10 is the most stable, and it seems the ACC is the most likely to be poached again in the next go around. But if the ACC is poached and the Big 10 decides not to expand, the ACC in it's next iteration would still be better than the AAC as it will exist in the next few years (remove RU and L'ville but add Tulsa, Tulane and ECU).

From a hoops perspective, I still think it's a pretty decent conference. SMU, UCONN, Memphis and Cinci. UCF had a terrific season at football, and I think are a sleeping giant but i'm not sure how good their hoops team will be in the next few years.

Still, Any conference we'd actually consider (ACC or B1G) is better than the one we are in...

Reaction Score
I admit the bar is pretty high, but let's not pretend JC always won National Titles with all the talent in the world. 2012 was a pretty unmitigated disaster given the ridiculous amount of talent. I think the jury is still out on KO, but given how he's recruiting, I'm inclined to give him a shot for sure.

Reaction Score
the football program will be the driving force for realignment. the hiring of Diaco as head coach seems to be a good hire and will make the football program stronger with the improvement of the recruiting expertise that Diaco brings. Hopefully, that is the case, because the basketball program is already strong with the hiring of KO. It seems to me that Warde is banking on going into the B1g in his coaching decisions. I would put a big red bow on it.

Reaction Score
KO is not perfect. He is well compensated. His performance as coach is not above scrutiny.

The other side of having no post season last year is that his team played without pressure. I think he did a nice job.

As you point out other coaches have more experience. That is something he needs to overcome. These games in particular point out the need for KO to adjust in game. Is it tough, you bet, is it the job, you bet.

I think KO has done a very good job but not one above any criticism or second guessing. I believe he is learning and growing.

But here is the most important thing. None of this matters if he is bounced in the first round of the NCAA. March is the only thing that matters. This is the first time he will be tested by fire. I'm a Huskies fan so I hope he wins six games. I will cheer for him and our team. But you think he has been criticized, watch if he flames out in the NCAA. I pray to God it doesn't come to that. Surviving the first week end will add a lot of credibility to his resume.

In lieu of having any information about KO as an NCAA leader, we look for clues in our game performance. The L'ville game gave many folks the jitters, darn straight. If it didn't get your attention --what have you been smoking?
This is a great summary of the situation. The basketball world is full of guys who win 20 games and get no further than the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. What I find disheartening about the Ollistas is that they seem to think that UConn is Quinnipiac or Fairfield where you go to learn to be a head coach. It isn't. If you want to be considered among the elite, you need to have the same standards as the elite programs. Among those is that the coach has high expectations each and every year, and that he is subject to criticism when he fails to live up to those standards. Ollie might turn out to be a fine coach. He might not. March matters. December matters only to the extent it gets you to March.
I'd like to know who could do better than what KO has done? Especially so far recruiting into this conference.
Um, Memphis had the #3 class in the country last year. UNLV, in a worse conference by far had #7 in 2012 and is currently #6. Several A-10 schools are ranked above well us as are several Big East schools. If they can recruit in equal or worse conferences, we ought to be able to recruit as well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The good news is many who looked like HOF coaches their 2nd season somewhere have been fired from that school after going 11-19 the next 3 years………KO will be very good, how good is still with the jury, but if you're not happy with his hiring you're not very bright!
What would people say if KO or JC had a winning percentage of less than 55% after 30 years with 2 conference championships?
That's what Larry Brown did in the pros- yeah he won 1 title in those 30 yrs-shows even you get lucky once - ask Boeheim

Reaction Score
This is a great summary of the situation. The basketball world is full of guys who win 20 games and get no further than the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. What I find disheartening about the Ollistas is that they seem to think that UConn is Quinnipiac or Fairfield where you go to learn to be a head coach. It isn't. If you want to be considered among the elite, you need to have the same standards as the elite programs. Among those is that the coach has high expectations each and every year, and that he is subject to criticism when he fails to live up to those standards. Ollie might turn out to be a fine coach. He might not. March matters. December matters only to the extent it gets you to March.

Um, Memphis had the #3 class in the country last year. UNLV, in a worse conference by far had #7 in 2012 and is currently #6. Several A-10 schools are ranked above well us as are several Big East schools. If they can recruit in equal or worse conferences, we ought to be able to recruit as well.

Kevin Ollie is already a fine coach. You don't walk into a situation like UConn's and win 72% of your games if you are not a fine coach. Since he got us to March in fine shape I would say December definitely matters. Free, answer honestly are you hoping for KO to succeed in March or would you prefer he fail so you can continue your criticism of him?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
It's hard to be too critical of the job Ollie had done so far, and I'm certainly happy he's UConn's coach moving forward. But he's far from perfect, and the blind loyalty this board has for him isn't warranted.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion but the two hardest things for a new coach to walk into in college basketball are taking the seat of a hall of fame coach, and being left a mess at the same time.
KO has my blessing for at least the next three years. This to be fair with what he was handed.

pj

Reaction Score
KO's done a fine job. He will be a better coach in three years than he is now. He will also have his own players in three years. That will be time to judge him. For now, all we need to do is root for him.

Reaction Score
This team is flawed because of a lack of rebounding ability and the lack of rebounding this year is not KO's fault. Ollie did not recruit Olander or Nolan, he did not give Roscoe a love punch during a game which probably helped send Roscoe to UNLV, it's also not Ollie's fault we had academic problems which hurt our recruiting class two years ago and Ollie did not cause Wolf to scuffle with his girlfriend. Ollie also did not choose to be given a one year trial contract last year which made it difficult for him to recruit last Fall.

Ollie needs to get his players in place (4 recruiting classes) before a full assessment can be made, so far I think he is doing a great job under difficult circumstances (conference realignment didn't help recruiting)

As much as I do want Boatwright and Daniels back, I will not be crying if they leave, part of me thinks the team would benefit from a leadership overhaul with Ollie's guys taking over the locker room.

Reaction Score
As much as I do want Boatwright and Daniels back, I will not be crying if they leave, part of me thinks the team would benefit from a leadership overhaul with Ollie's guys taking over the locker room.
Uh, no.

Reaction Score
It's hard to be too critical of the job Ollie had done so far, and I'm certainly happy he's UConn's coach moving forward. But he's far from perfect, and the blind loyalty this board has for him isn't warranted.

What blind loyalty? I don't see anyone saying KO has been flawless in his 2 years as coach, but there are many of us who recognize that he has done a very good job so far with a flawed roster due to the ban that left him without players that would've helped the frontcourt, the ban affecting recruiting due to the perception of the program and the loss of scholarships, and then no long term contract that affected recruiting during a key period. And then we also acknowledge that there is still plenty of room for improvement in managing rotations and also offensive execution, while also realizing that based on the players he has committed and is recruiting, that this current roster is definitely not how he envisions the roster lookinh going forward.

You have a voice to share your criticisms of KO, which you, the 2,670 other variations of your screenname with 990411 also do, in addition to freescooter, Palatine, CTBasketball, ASweet and many others. Nobody is censoring you, deleting your posts, banning you, we hear ya'll loud and clear every time you point out KO got outcoached by a HOF or didn't play this person enough minutes. Not sure how this board has some blind devotion to KO when there's a strong collective who want to put KO through the ringer after every loss.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I worry less about the blind loyalty and more about the stupid disloyalty. None of us can be sure KO will bring us more championships and his full ability can't be assessed yet. But he has done most everything right so far.It is not smart to want to dump a coach after a bad game or two. It is not fair to blame a coach for a lack of rebounding from players he, mostly, did not recruit

Someone, responding to recruiting in this conference pointed out Cinci in 2012 had a great class. Only problem is, Cinci was recruiting for the Big East. Oh, and Ollie did not have a great crop in 2012 because 1) they were eliminated from post-season play and 2) Ollie was not the coach when they were recruiting for 2012.

So if Ollie does not recruit and/or develop bigs, or, if Ollie can't coach in March, then he may not be the guy. But he has had only 1 year of recruiting for a team that just lost a HoF Coach, just come off a suspension, just got put in a new conference. Those are tough circumstances.

Meanwhile, they are winning, future recruits are looking good and we are back in the NCAA. And that is pretty darn good for 18 months.

Reaction Score
Since he was given his contract by Warde he has successfully recruited Daniel Hamilton, Rakim Lubin, Sam Cassell Jr, Prince Ali and Turtle Jackson……..not too shabby in 1 year now is it? Obviously we need a BIG man besides the Rock but having Brimah around for 2-3 more years as well as Phil gives them a little time……..add Govan and all will be well……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom