Let's Begin The 4 Year Discussion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Let's Begin The 4 Year Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Listened to the LaChina Robinson podcast earlier and she and Teresa Edwards were on the USA could send 36 players and take Gold Silver and Bronze kick. I think it is possible, but it is sort of the mentality that USA men fall into that we are so clearly superior in talent that we just need to show up. Sometimes that works because you get lucky, and sometime you end up with egg on your face because you get beat when it matters. The reason that the women dominate is because they have the most talent and are the least selfish team, and that doesn't come naturally to any pro player, man or woman.
You don't break the assists and field goal percentage records by being selfish.
The issue I see for USA going forward is that they are losing the heart of that impetus - guards are the ones who drive that, and with few exceptions their aren't a lot of Sues and Dees and Lindseys - and the ones that are out there Sloot for example, are not as good and don't have that experience playing with 11 other superstars.

(I wrote a long post on this in another thread about what a fine line there is between 20 point wins and a tie game. So I will not repeat myself. But just a simple one - Sue had 31 assists and 4 TO's - put anyone of the young guards in the same situation and based on their life work, if they got 31 assists in a tournament it would come with 15-20 turnovers.

Another advantage for Moriah going forward. She's probably the best player out there who was never the number one offensive option in college.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Another advantage for Moriah going forward. She's probably the best player out there who was never the number one offensive option in college.
You typed this faster than I could formulate this same thought in my head-advantage Moriah!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diana will not play in 2020. As great as she is today, she just can't withstand the travails of year-round pro ball. Let her retire gracefully. And Sue. And Tamika.

On another player, I think A'ja Wilson is a tremendous talent. Let's recall that Tina Charles couldn't shoot from more than five feet from the basket either when she was in college. But she improved. So will Wilson. She's not benefited from a great coach yet. But she is a tremendous physical specimen, and she will be a great pro player!
No one on the BY is forcing Sue or Diana out. It remains to be seen where their games are in 2-4 years. I like the idea of getting younger gradually and having Sue and/or Diana work with a young guard or two in 2018.

Tina had a reliable foul line jumper by her senior year. She now has 3-point range.

I agree that Wilson and Brianna Turner have potential. I'm not ready to say they belong in 2020 or that they don't belong. I think they should be under consideration.

The one no-brainer addition for me is Nneka. She played well in Turkey in 2014 and is having an MVP-type season. I think she is more of a 4 than a 3, but she may be able to cover both positions. She's a stellar rebounder and high-energy player. Her midrange jumper is solid too (not at the Seimone/Maya level, but good enough).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You typed this faster than I could formulate this same thought in my head-advantage Moriah!
I was being subtle by allowing others to come to the same obvious conclusion! :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The one no-brainer addition for me is Nneka. She played well in Turkey in 2014 and is having an MVP-type season. I think she is more of a 4 than a 3, but she may be able to cover both positions. She's a stellar rebounder and high-energy player. Her midrange jumper is solid too (not at the Seimone/Maya level, but good enough).
I haven't seen enough of her in the WNBA to have a sense of how good a defender she is away from the basket, which is the one area that Catching still shines at. Defense was a weakness for EDD in this Olympics I thought, she was game, but ... If Nneka can handle that then yes, I think she is the obvious front line choice.

Reaction Score
Listened to the LaChina Robinson podcast earlier and she and Teresa Edwards were on the USA could send 36 players and take Gold Silver and Bronze kick.

I wouldn't quite go that far although I think the depth of talent for the Americans would allow for another twelve players to get selected and get either Silver or Bronze. I do agree with what you said about this team being unselfish. This team just kicked butt and took names when it mattered and appeared to have fun doing it. USA basketball is in great hands thanks to a tradition of excellence started in 1996 and has continued. Bird and Taurasi looked ten years younger than I expected and EDD, while not flawless, showed how much game she has. Maya was Maya, Stewie appears to have needed no adjustment period, and I thought Fowles and McCoughtry played well after I posted they shouldn't have been selected over Parker and another young guard. The future is bright for sure.

Reaction Score
IMO the USA 2018/2020 lineups could be:

G's: MoJeff/McBride/Sims/DT if healthy in 2018 & Danielle Robinson in 2020 (Sugar Rogers a possible)
W's & : Moore/EDD/Stewart/McCoughtry/Nneka (+big)
Big's: Charles/Griner/Dolson

Parker is done and Diggins is a mini Parker so she's done also!
Cheryl Reeve is most likely USA HC! Dawn could be HC but Committee goes with WNBA Coach!

Reaction Score
Any team should start with the veterans that have been there/done that. Barring injury... from this years team I think this group would be the core players for 2020

25 Stewart
31 Moore
33 McCougtry
30 Delle Donne
29 Grinner
31 Charles
34 Fowles

Leaves 5 spots.. need guards. Sims, Diggins, Loyd, McBride, Jefferson?? Will Taurasi still be playing at 38? Vandersloot will have been in the USA Basketball system for forever... will be 31, does she finally get a senior team roster spot?

With lots of established veterans in the front court I think it will be hard for new comers (Wilson, Stevens, etc..) to make the team.
Thanks for mentioning Moriah Jefferson. I'm thinking she is a top candidate for PG, World Championships 2018, and Olympicsn 2020.

Reaction Score
I think the big test for Parker may be to show up for the World Championship in 2018. If she does well there, she stands an excellent chance of making the Olympic team in 2020.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the big test for Parker may be to show up for the World Championship in 2018. If she does well there, she stands an excellent chance of making the Olympic team in 2020.
I agree - she has only played in the 2006 WC Bronze as a college player - then 2008 Olympic, missed 2010 WC back for Oly 2012, missed 2014 WC, cut from 2016 Oly. Id she wants back into the NT she has one chance, be available for the WC in 2018 in my mind.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree - she has only played in the 2006 WC Bronze as a college player - then 2008 Olympic, missed 2010 WC back for Oly 2012, missed 2014 WC, cut from 2016 Oly. Id she wants back into the NT she has one chance, be available for the WC in 2018 in my mind.
There are no guarantees, but I agree that Candace needs to play in the WC in 2018 to have a shot at Tokyo in 2020. She also needs to play smart, play with energy, and defend well.

Reaction Score
On my post above I had MoJeff/McBride/ Sims/DT (if healthy for 2018)/Danielle Robinson or Sugar Rogers at G's. After watching today's Seattle at MN game I want to add Jewel Loyd to my list as I didn't include her for her lack of defense, but she has really improved her defensive capabilities! So I'll add her to the G choices for the USA team.
I don't think either Wilson or Turner will make the 2018 or 2020 teams! Nneka O. and Dolson are the only additions needed for the USA & C's! Both Nneka and Stef have more well-rounded games than Wilson or Turner!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
On my post above I had MoJeff/McBride/ Sims/DT (if healthy for 2018)/Danielle Robinson or Sugar Rogers at G's. After watching today's Seattle at MN game I want to add Jewel Loyd to my list as I didn't include her for her lack of defense, but she has really improved her defensive capabilities! So I'll add her to the G choices for the USA team.
I don't think either Wilson or Turner will make the 2018 or 2020 teams! Nneka O. and Dolson are the only additions needed for the USA & C's! Both Nneka and Stef have more well-rounded games than Wilson or Turner!

Comparing professional players to rising college juniors. I think both Wilson and Turner have higher ceilings than Ogwumike and Dolson.. nobody can say how good they'll be by the time of the 2020 national team but they both have star level potential for certain... They have potential to be what EDD, Griner and Stewart were for this 2016 team, the new stars.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Comparing professional players to rising college juniors. I think both Wilson and Turner have higher ceilings than Ogwumike and Dolson.. nobody can say how good they'll be by the time of the 2020 national team but they both have star level potential for certain... They have potential to be what EDD, Griner and Stewart were for this 2016 team, the new stars.
Stef I think has a certain ceiling, but Nneka ... I have not seen anything to suggest that Wilson or Turner have as much 'star power' as she does.

Reaction Score

SCGamecock- - -Both Nneka Ogwumike and Stef Dolson were among the last cut for this Olympic team so they have their foot in the door, while Wilson & Turner have to develop to get to that door! You're right they may develop their game in the future but both NO & SD are already there and have played on different levels of USA teams. They are a known entity to the USA Committee!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SCGamecock- - -Both Nneka Ogwumike and Stef Dolson were among the last cut for this Olympic team so they have their foot in the door, while Wilson & Turner have to develop to get to that door! You're right they may develop their game in the future but both NO & SD are already there and have played on different levels of USA teams. They are a known entity to the USA Committee!

Good point. I think both Wilson and Turner will be national team worthy in a few years.. but I don't think they'll necessarily make the team because Team USA is so strong at the 4 and 5 positions and will be that way for the next few years. I'm interested to see how they develop their games to stand out. They both would need to add a little EDD to their games in order to make the team IMHO.

Reaction Score
Good point. I think both Wilson and Turner will be national team worthy in a few years.. but I don't think they'll necessarily make the team because Team USA is so strong at the 4 and 5 positions and will be that way for the next few years. I'm interested to see how they develop their games to stand out. They both would need to add a little EDD to their games in order to make the team IMHO.

SCGamecock- - - Wilson might have an easier shot down the line than Turner to make the USA senior team as Wilson now possesses an outside game to go with her inside game while Turner has no real outside game to speak of!
Nneka O. has made herself much more dangerous as she's added a very nice outside game to join her outstanding inside play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom