Let's Be Realistic | The Boneyard

Let's Be Realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We lost what would've been our top 4 front court guys. Think about that for a second.......... I'll be the first to criticize our current front court based on their play so far, but it's really not justified at all.

4-1 really isn't a bad start at all. Yes, disappointing after beating MSU, but really not bad. The travel clearly has taken its toll on the team, so hopefully the can re-energize themselves and give NC St. a tough game at MSG in a couple weeks.

Reaction Score
We lost what would've been our top 4 front court guys. Think about that for a second.......... I'll be the first to criticize our current front court based on their play so far, but it's really not justified at all.

4-1 really isn't a bad start at all. Yes, disappointing after beating MSU, but really not bad. The travel clearly has taken its toll on the team, so hopefully the can re-energize themselves and give NC St. a tough game at MSG in a couple weeks.

Well stated........quite honestly this is not a Top 25 team as we see it right now! Can it be...sure but there are many things which need to improve dramatically to even win 20 games for this team. We saw some major flaws and scoring will be tough at times. Team defense and rebounding improvements are a must.........but they play hard and fight like wounded animals, gotta like that!

Time to see what our fan base is made of......gonna be a rough ride!!:confused:

Reaction Score
I think these guys will end up having a great record and grow a ton this year. Hope we pick up a couple of bigs for next year.

Reaction Score

Not only that but we can honestly say that you need to be "perfect" to beat us. And NM was perfect, at the line at least, 21-21. Besides there is only but upside for our front court.

Reaction Score
im thrilled that we are 4-1 but we will be lucky to win 10 more games this year. i like this team and will continue to support them but this is going to be a tough season when conference play starts.

Reaction Score
im thrilled that we are 4-1 but we will be lucky to win 10 more games this year. i like this team and will continue to support them but this is going to be a tough season when conference play starts.

That....is a bit of an overreaction. New Mexico is actually a pretty good team you know. They shot 21-21 from the free throw line, we played pretty lousy, and yet we had a lead with 2 minutes left.

There are plenty of games left on our schedule (Big East included) against teams less talented than New Mexico.

Reaction Score
The other reality is that this team is young (real young) with a 'quasi' senior.

New team, young players and brand new coach, it ain't the best scenario right now to place high expectations on.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
4-1 really isn't a bad start at all. Yes, disappointing after beating MSU, but really not bad. The travel clearly has taken its toll on the team, so hopefully the can re-energize themselves and give NC St. a tough game at MSG in a couple weeks.[/quote]
This. Some people don't remember or put into account we lost our front court. As long as they compete and have heart I will be perfectly fine

Reaction Score

You are right. So far they have probably overachieved. We are very weak in the front court and have players playing out of position. 3 guard lineups are fine but the other 2 players have to be able to rebound and that is not the case with us. Bazz and Boat are also playing a ton of minutes.
Wolf may be the key for this team. If he develops and plays smarter we could be better than expected.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This. Some people don't remember or put into account we lost our front court. As long as they compete and have heart I will be perfectly fine[/quote]
You are going to have three groups who will be negative all season long.

The first is the group that did not support KO as coach - those who wanted someone like Shaka or those who thought JC shoved the decision down WM's throat.

The second group are those fans that cry if the team they support doesn't support their bragging needs. They need the victories and the hype of a winning team to make them happy. Anything else is unacceptable.

And then there's free.:)

Many fans are logical. They understand your assertion about the front court. This group doesn't enjoy losing or watching games in which UConn struggles. They understand the circumstances surrounding events and are more likely able to handle things gracefully when they don't go well.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, we'll be no worse than 9-3 heading into conference play. What's interesting is that the toughest part of our schedule is the first 5 games of Big East play - @ Marquette, DePaul, @ Notre Dame, Louisville, and @ Pitt. We could start 1-4 in conference play without even playing that poorly. The test will be (if that does happen), how does the team bounce back in the next 5, which happens to be the easiest portion of the schedule (Rutgers, @PC, USF, @SJU, @Seton Hall).

If you're looking for a reason why Manuel hasn't made his mind up yet, that stretch of games (and our response to how it turns out) may be it.

Reaction Score
I don't think Warde has looked at the schedule in that detail, but I agree that he wants to see how Ollie and his team handles the inevitable adversity of Big East play.

Reaction Score
That....is a bit of an overreaction. New Mexico is actually a pretty good team you know. They shot 21-21 from the free throw line, we played pretty lousy, and yet we had a lead with 2 minutes left.

There are plenty of games left on our schedule (Big East included) against teams less talented than New Mexico.

im not overreacting but im not a profit either so of course i could be wrong. i just think once big east play starts we`re going to have a tough time winning games with our frontcourt issues which will plague us all season. i see this team winning 10-12 more games at best imho. anything more than that id be very pleasantly surprised.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The front court really struggled against NM, the guards really struggled for 35 minutes against Quinny.
I'm not at all disappointed with this team. They have displayed consistent effort (something often lacking last year) but inconsistent results due to discrepancies in skill level ( which can get better), talent level (for which more experienced players can compensate) and periods of loss of confidence.
I dont harbor ill will for AO, but it is a great thing that we don't have him this year. Sure, we would get more rebounds and perhaps win one or more games but it is better to get Phil Nolan, Wolf and Tolksdorf more experience so that they can contribute more next year. Phil has shown signs that he can be very good once he gets experience and strength. With confidence and experience where he learns what he can and cannot do effectively, Wolf could look like he did against Wake on a consistent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom