Let's Be Honest | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Let's Be Honest

Reaction Score
We knew we were not a top 10 team coming in.

However, we just went blow for blow with the number 4 team in America and given better breaks and better finishing it could've come down to the last few possessions.

I am more confident in this team today than I was three days ago.

Just wait till they gel.
No.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I refuse to read to much into our Battlestar Gallactica "rag tag fugitive fleet" of a team after this loss.
Kudos for the most random reference of the day. At 2 AM it's pretty much all free association, am I right? ;)

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago I watched Michigan State and Duke play at the same timeI watched UConn play Colgate.

Duke and MSU appeared to be playing a whole other level of basketball. At the time I remember being sad that I hadn't seen UConn play at that level in quite some time. I also remembered thinking we would get smeared by teams at that level.

What I saw last night in UConn was a team that was already much improved from just two weeks ago. That bunch that struggled with toothpaste was down only 5 with the ball with 10 to go against that same MSU team that looked amazing against the top team in the nation.

Basically, my perception of this bunch now compared to just two weeks ago is much, much higher. I think we can at least play the same brand as the big dogs and make some noise come March.

Reaction Score
lmao, blow for blow? Game was over 2 possessions into the 2nd half. Was obvious to anyone with eyes.
I cannot agree with you more then all the other stuff I read! The fact that the home team Oregon went into overtime with Depaul still does not give me a great read on this team. Let's see what they do with Arkansas

Reaction Score
LMAO @ "over after second possession of the 2nd half", it was a five point game with 10 minutes left, and that's still a game to anybody that can sniff a clue

We have a live one here, he probably thought the same thing when OR went up 5 in the second half, but he didn't get the chance to hate much after that game
Did you even watch the game? Your response is one of someone who simply looked at the ESPN Game Flow after the fact. Was it past your bedtime?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Did you even watch the game? Your response is one of someone who simply looked at the ESPN Game Flow after the fact. Was it past your bedtime?

sophomoric idiocy, what do you have against simple math? and when did Mich St make 10 straight shot to finally earn separation?

you sound like some kid that has no clue what he's looking at, even less about competition, and I'm simply not going to interact with you going forward

enjoy the 2 minutes of attention I've given you

Reaction Score
sophomoric idiocy, what do you have against simple math? and when did Mich St make 10 straight shot to finally earn separation?

you sound like some kid that has no clue what he's looking at, even less about competition, and I'm simply not going to interact with you going forward

enjoy the 2 minutes of attention I've given you
At least I actually watched the game. Keep dissecting those box scores. They'll tell you all you need to know.

Bye Felicia.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Mich St. might win the national title this year. UConn played them tough in the first half and kept it close for part of the second. Anyone expecting more is being unrealistic. It is VERY early but this team looks to be tourney quality. They should improve as they get more familiar with each other in game situations. If UConn beats Ark. and comes home 2-1 that is an excellent result. My last thought is that refereeing tends to even out over a season and unless it's a call to decide a game I wouldn't be too concerned about it. UConn will have some games where they are the beneficiary of the refereeing.

Reaction Score
What is reality bass and what's wrong with willie's assessment? The fact that Winston played completely out of his a** or that we are just plain awful?

The reality is despite lots of talent, there hasn't been much of an offense since Shabazz left in 2014. We had four assists against Oregon and six assists and scored 57 points last night. That's the reality.

Reaction Score
The reality is despite lots of talent, there hasn't been much of an offense since Shabazz left in 2014. We had four assists against Oregon and six assists and scored 57 points last night. That's the reality.

The reality is you can find many JC coached teams who looked the same on many nights. But please don’t keep on that side of the line where your best comes out after a loss. That is also the reality

Reaction Score
UConn looked like they belonged for a good long stretch of the game. That's better than I expected going into the season. Heck, I assumed this game would be against DePaul.

I'll take wins over Oregon and Arkansas and a competitive 30 mins vs MSU coming into this year. Big game tomorrow. If this teams wants an at large it's the type of game we need to win.

Reaction Score
The reality is you can find many JC coached teams who looked the same on many nights. But please don’t keep on that side of the line where your best comes out after a loss. That is also the reality

I highly doubt you will find any two game stretch under Calhoun where there were only 10 assists total. The offense has been stagnant and underwhelming for 3 plus seasons now. You cannot deny that.

The saddest part of the whole thing is we have 4 guys in Larrier Gilbert Adams and Vital who could each score 20 on any given night, yet we still get four assists or six assists and 57 points under this "offense".

willie99

Reaction Score
Calhoun's teams started slower than just about any coach in the country, because he tore his players down before rebuilding them, and they had absolutely no freedom in his system

I loved it all, but year after year after year we were disappointed with our offense (if not our performance) until things started to click sometime after January 15th, at least when he had new squads. And Calhoun NEVER won with young teams either for that very same reason. It's why we went to the NIT every 4th or 5th year.

Two years ago we made the tournament and beat a good CO team in round one.

Last year we had DEVASTATING INJURIES, not even Jim Calhoun wins with that team. I'm shocked people actually have to be reminded about that, especially Uconn "FANS"

After the season, Ollie pushed the reset button, he knew he had to change directions, and I love everything that has transpired since that moment including the start of this season. The fact that people still use last year's INJURY PLAGUED season to mock this year's tram represents a total disconnect from "REALITY"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago I watched Michigan State and Duke play at the same timeI watched UConn play Colgate.

Duke and MSU appeared to be playing a whole other level of basketball. At the time I remember being sad that I hadn't seen UConn play at that level in quite some time. I also remembered thinking we would get smeared by teams at that level.

What I saw last night in UConn was a team that was already much improved from just two weeks ago. That bunch that struggled with toothpaste was down only 5 with the ball with 10 to go against that same MSU team that looked amazing against the top team in the nation.

Basically, my perception of this bunch now compared to just two weeks ago is much, much higher. I think we can at least play the same brand as the big dogs and make some noise come March.

I agree with this to an extent, as I had the same thought - that UConn was miles behind MSU and Duke - when I was flipping back and forth between those two games as well. I think I joked at the time, because I only get SNY in standard definition, that moving from one game to the other was like moving from SD and HD.

The questions for me:

1. Are Duke and MSU still playing at a different level of basketball? I would argue yes.

2. Is my perception any different than it was a few weeks ago? I think I'm a bigger believer in this team now, particularly with regard to their competitive spirit, basketball instincts, and overall ability to rejuvenate the fan base. It isn't just that they're better than last year, it's that they're more fun to watch. They have a pulse and now so does the fan base. That's a real thing that can't be quantified by our KenPom or RPI ranking.

But at the same time we shouldn't mistake those feelings of optimism for actual achievement, and we shouldn't allow our own desire to grade them on a curve to distort the more objective picture. We were 69th on KenPom before the season. We are currently 65th. We were a seven point underdog last night. We lost by 20. Things are rosier, but I think the sentimental side of us wants to believe the needle has moved further than it has. We're still basically where we started and whatever house money we were playing with last night is now gone. They've more or less played to expectation so far, or at least my expectations. My goal coming into the season was to start 4-0 and we did that. Hopefully they continue to build.

Reaction Score
Calhoun's teams started slower than just about any coach in the country, because he tore his players down before rebuilding them, and they had absolutely no freedom in his system

I loved it all, but year after year after year we were disappointed with our offense (if not our performance) until things started to click sometime after January 15th, at least when he had new squads. And Calhoun NEVER won with young teams either for that very same reason. It's why we went to the NIT every 4th or 5th year.

Last year we had DEVASTATING INJURIES, not even Jim Calhoun wins with that team. I'm shocked people actually have to be reminded about that, especially Uconn "FANS"

After the season, Ollie pushed the reset button, he knew he had to change directions, and I love everything that has transpired since that moment including the start of this season. The fact that people still use last year's INJURY PLAGUED season to mock this year's tram represents a total disconnect from "REALITY"

Are you really trying to tout one tournament win in 3 seasons as an accomplishment? Sad.

UConn used to be a national power. Now 5th place in the AAC is the norm. Apparently you enjoy mediocrity much more than I do. The offense has been inept for 3 plus seasons. I am glad you have such low expectations, but some of us believe the program deserves better.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Out coached how?
Because if he didn't say that he would lose his "gotta blame something on KO" card
I am surprised more of the KO bashers haven't been more vocal

KO could make every right decision and MSU would still beat the UConn team - need more bigs like MSU bigs

willie99

Reaction Score
Are you really trying to tout one tournament win in 3 seasons as an accomplishment? Sad.

UConn used to be a national power. Now 5th place in the AAC is the norm. Apparently you enjoy mediocrity much more than I do. The offense has been inept for 3 plus seasons. I am glad you have such low expectations, but some of us believe the program deserves better.

The problem is you can't acknowledge progress. Are you naive enough to think we're going to go through what we did 6 months ago and be a top ten team already? Do you understand rebuilding is a process?

You think the team will suck because we sucked last year as you ignore the many reasons we sucked last year, with injuries being at the top of the list. You think it's all a dumpster fire, I don't.

I think the team is playing well and will exceed expectations and make the dance. The first step back up the ladder. And I'm sorry my more optimistic AND REALISTIC opinion angers you so much, I just can't help you with that.

Reaction Score

If we are being completely honest, last year’s team lost to two low majors before anyone went down . . . People tend to lose sight of that in their impassioned defense.

Reaction Score
Because if he didn't say that he would lose his "gotta blame something on KO" card
I am surprised more of the KO bashers haven't been more vocal

KO could make every right decision and MSU would still beat the UConn team - need more bigs like MSU bigs

What's really fn funny about the "KO got out coached" idiots is they were also riding high when he "out coached" Izzo twice in the meetings prior, one in the regional finals where Izzo is usually the winner. A year of injuries and too many bad players playing and ONLY one victory in the NCAA tourney the year prior and now he can't handle Izzo. LOL such dopes around here.

This place is so predictable and the usual suspects so obvious it's become hard to even visit after a loss to anyone. How quickly they forget.

C

Chief00

Cobb has to put himself in better position to succeed. I know injuries happen but you also need to be in tip top condition to minimize the risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
KO is going to run this pick and guard breakdown offense because that’s what he has to work with. Just making the NCAA is success for us this year and those who are dreaming of some kind of 2011 or 2014 run need to wake up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom