Let the kids play! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let the kids play!

Reaction Score
it’s certainly called for. It might be harsh but it’s certainly called for. In the same thought people should also be holding Hurley accountable as well.He can’t have his best coaching game in late January...

No it's not, no way not at all. It's not harsh it's wrong. Criticism is harsh and maybe well deserved but the boot, it's BS. Minus this game Gaffney and Adams have done squat suddenly the saviors. And they sucked in OT we didn't win, not sure if anyone saw the final or the OT? :rolleyes: :eek:

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
My issues with some upper classmen are shot selection and decision making. Sometimes that make the right play and I think they've turned the corner...then I'll see a heat check 3 or a crazy drive into the trees. It's really getting frustrating.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This is great you pick one game? I mean I get it we all want the future to show up and be the savior. He's been a ghost in many games and gaffney was crapping his pants in many games. Hey I'm not at all in favor of the continuous BS that CV and AG put us through game after game, sick of it to. But can everyone calm down on the "the kids". One game and 12-0 run 19 games into their freshman year, about time huh? I mean if they were practicing better and playing better when given minutes we would've seen more. OT they weren't too good but I guess we had a moral victory at the 12-0 run so let's throw everyone else to the dogs.

Crazy place here. Let's see it again for the next 11 games and I will be as excited as everyone. But until then let's try to remember CV, AG and JC are Huskies. Criticism is well deserved for each of them but these threads booting them out is uncalled for, the "I can't wait until the Ollie guys are gone" is crap!

The big difference here is that Gaffney, Bouknight, and Sid are freshmen or sophomores. They are expected to improve. Gilbert has been around for 4 years now, Vital the same, and Carlton 3. If they're not showing the ability to compete at this level now, it's not prudent to keep throwing them out there for significant minutes and hope they break out of it.

The NCAAs are pretty much out of reach now barring a conference tournament run, but the NIT isn't. I would rather give the young guys more burn so they can grow into players that will eventually bring us back to the NCAAs. Going with Gilbert, Vital, and Carlton the rest of the way doesn't give me much optimism that we're getting to the NIT. At least giving the young guys more playing time on a game-to-game basis will give us a higher ceiling. And if one of the kids doesn't have it that day, then play the older guys more minutes. We just can't keep going like we have.

Reaction Score
Igbanu unfortunately torched both Carlton and Whaley. Whaley just couldn't body him and fell for Igbanu's pump fakes and pick up fouls. Carlton was too slow. He did have one good play at the end (after giving up two baskets in a row defending Igbanu) by fronting him and deflecting the pass into the post.

Akok had better luck but is still a bit thin. Their best defense was to double Igbanu and force him to pass. Looking forward to see how Hurley adjusts the defense in their next game agains Tulsa.

And, yes, I am excited to never, ever, have to watch a Tulsa team again after this season.
Apparently the Tulsa fans are also exited to “never, ever watch a Tulsa team”. I cant remember a game, men or women, with fewer fans from the opposing team.

Reaction Score
The big difference here is that Gaffney, Bouknight, and Sid are freshmen or sophomores. They are expected to improve. Gilbert has been around for 4 years now, Vital the same, and Carlton 3. If they're not showing the ability to compete at this level now, it's not prudent to keep throwing them out there for significant minutes and hope they break out of it.

The NCAAs are pretty much out of reach now barring a conference tournament run, but the NIT isn't. I would rather give the young guys more burn so they can grow into players that will eventually bring us back to the NCAAs. Going with Gilbert, Vital, and Carlton the rest of the way doesn't give me much optimism that we're getting to the NIT. At least giving the young guys more playing time on a game-to-game basis will give us a higher ceiling. And if one of the kids doesn't have it that day, then play the older guys more minutes. We just can't keep going like we have.

Hey if we're not going to win I'm all in for the frosh/sophs to play. Bouk is a no doubter. Gaffney hasn't shown much until a run yesterday. Sid has been earning minutes I agree on that and Adams played better yesterday made a couple of 3's but also got lost on D in the OT for a critical backdoor. And no one played well in the OT.

Hey we're not winning games with whomever but if we start them or play them more and are don 20 at halftime does that make us better for next year? Let's see what they do if given more time before we close the door on ther others because I still want my team to compete as they have been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley is well known to be loyal to seniors.

Loyalty is a double edged sword. The seniors are who they are at this point.

You can’t change the spots on a leopard.

Reaction Score
This is great you pick one game? I mean I get it we all want the future to show up and be the savior. He's been a ghost in many games and gaffney was crapping his pants in many games. Hey I'm not at all in favor of the continuous BS that CV and AG put us through game after game, sick of it to. But can everyone calm down on the "the kids". One game and 12-0 run 19 games into their freshman year, about time huh? I mean if they were practicing better and playing better when given minutes we would've seen more. OT they weren't too good but I guess we had a moral victory at the 12-0 run so let's throw everyone else to the dogs.

Crazy place here. Let's see it again for the next 11 games and I will be as excited as everyone. But until then let's try to remember CV, AG and JC are Huskies. Criticism is well deserved for each of them but these threads booting them out is uncalled for, the "I can't wait until the Ollie guys are gone" is crap!

One game. Ok, how about a 19 game sample?
19 games into the season Gilbert is shooting 32.8%, while Bouknight is shooting 49.6%. I know you are very slow to realize things, heck you defended Ollie after nearly everyone else knew he was doing a terrible job.

It is what it is. It's called reality. Perhaps you should learn to deal with it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hey if we're not going to win I'm all in for the frosh/sophs to play. Bouk is a no doubter. Gaffney hasn't shown much until a run yesterday. Sid has been earning minutes I agree on that and Adams played better yesterday made a couple of 3's but also got lost on D in the OT for a critical backdoor. And no one played well in the OT.

Hey we're not winning games with whomever but if we start them or play them more and are don 20 at halftime does that make us better for next year? Let's see what they do if given more time before we close the door on ther others because I still want my team to compete as they have been.

Of course if they're playing terribly you go back to the upperclassmen, but I think the kids deserve the first chance to play significant minutes. They're the future of the program.

Reaction Score
Of course if they're playing terribly you go back to the upperclassmen, but I think the kids deserve the first chance to play significant minutes. They're the future of the program.

I am good with that now no doubt. I admit to even being happy they didn't use AG at the end of regulation and the OT although we played awful in OT. But that's the pattern.

But if they don't perform we need to go with those who still keep us in the game. It's not like Gaffney or Adams have proven anything and Bouk, while we know how good he will be, needs to play smarter (fouls) and more consistent. I have no doubt he will he's special but we still need proof on others. Here's hoping they do, they are needed to being the program back after all.

Reaction Score
Went back and looked at the numbers over the last 4 games of our starting senior guards. They have combined to go 36/98(37%), 8/39(21%) from 3 and 23 assists to 26 turnovers. You are not going to win many games with your main ball handlers playing this way. This is wildly inefficient and at this point in what is looking like a lost season we absolutely need to start playing the young guys. Let AG and CV start but give them a short leash and if they are not on that night play the underclassmen.

Reaction Score
Went back and looked at the numbers over the last 4 games of our starting senior guards. They have combined to go 36/98(37%), 8/39(21%) from 3 and 23 assists to 26 turnovers. You are not going to win many games with your main ball handlers playing this way. This is wildly inefficient and at this point in what is looking like a lost season we absolutely need to start playing the young guys. Let AG and CV start but give them a short leash and if they are not on that night play the underclassmen.
Yikes.

Reaction Score

Wow hate to say that 37% overall is better than I expected ouch! Your last sentence probably should have been the plan a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Wow hate to say that 37% overall is better than I expected ouch! Your last sentence probably should have been the plan a long time ago.
I don't get why people insist on grouping AG and CV together, outside of them both being starting senior guards. CV has been our best player this year statistically and AG has been our worst. From a shooting efficiency standpoint, CV is at 51.6 TS% and AG is 43.1%. Even in the last 4 game stretch where CV has struggled has a 95 ORtg and 96 Drtg. AG has a 76 and 100.

Reaction Score
It's unbelievable how all the Ollie apologists have moved on to hating on all the freshman and young players. Don't know why I'm surprised though

Reaction Score
I don't get why people insist on grouping AG and CV together, outside of them both being starting senior guards. CV has been our best player this year statistically and AG has been our worst. From a shooting efficiency standpoint, CV is at 51.6 TS% and AG is 43.1%. Even in the last 4 game stretch where CV has struggled has a 95 ORtg and 96 Drtg. AG has a 76 and 100.

Please with the whacky numbers, Vital has been as bad at clutch times as Ag sometimes even worst. He rebounds better and AG plays defense better otherwise they have both been a huge part of basically every loss. He's shooting 10% worst from 3 and 8% worst from everywhere. Not saying AG doesn't suck as a shooter but certainly more was expected than sub 40% from everywhere and just about 30% from 3 from CV. He's missed wide open 3s and has taken some he shouldn't have. His TO's are up as are AGs they are both guys we should lean on down the stretch and instead they are the main reasons we have lost the games, can't make a shot and make crappy plays. They deserve to be mentioned together.

Reaction Score

I grouped them together mainly to just show how inefficient our back court has been this year. When you have a 2 seniors playing the lead guard roles you expect a much higher level of play. For us to be good they need to be good and lead us which is just not happening. At this point there is no other reason to not try something different.

Reaction Score
Please with the whacky numbers, Vital has been as bad at clutch times as Ag sometimes even worst. He rebounds better and AG plays defense better otherwise they have both been a huge part of basically every loss. He's shooting 10% worst from 3 and 8% worst from everywhere. Not saying AG doesn't suck as a shooter but certainly more was expected than sub 40% from everywhere and just about 30% from 3 from CV. He's missed wide open 3s and has taken some he shouldn't have. His TO's are up as are AGs they are both guys we should lean on down the stretch and instead they are the main reasons we have lost the games, can't make a shot and make crappy plays. They deserve to be mentioned together.
Haha these whacky numbers are some of the highest regarded basketball evaluation metrics available. AG does not play better D, and once again it's not really close (CV has a 4.5 defense +/- while AG has a .8, and CV has a 85.4 DRtg while AG has a 95.4. He is probably our second best defensive player behind Akok. Also he also has the lowest turnover % out of all our guards (including Bouk, BAdams, AG, Gaffney)...

Who else on our team would have hit 3 straight FTs to send the game into OT yesterday? I'm betting no one.

I grouped them together mainly to just show how inefficient our back court has been this year. When you have a 2 seniors playing the lead guard roles you expect a much higher level of play. For us to be good they need to be good and lead us which is just not happening. At this point there is no other reason to not try something different.

Totally understand that his FG% leaves a lot to be desired, but you can't forget that he is also Top ~10 in the country in FT% and gets to the stripe more than anyone on the team. He's not cut out to be a top guy on a good team (nor should he be expected to be), but he's definitely not the reason we are struggling/losing.

Reaction Score
Haha these whacky numbers are some of the highest regarded basketball evaluation metrics available. AG does not play better D, and once again it's not really close (CV has a 4.5 defense +/- while AG has a .8, and CV has a 85.4 DRtg while AG has a 95.4. He is probably our second best defensive player behind Akok. Also he also has the lowest turnover % out of all our guards (including Bouk, BAdams, AG, Gaffney)...

Totally understand that his FG% leaves a lot to be desired, but you can't forget that he is also Top ~10 in the country in FT% and gets to the stripe more than anyone on the team. He's not cut out to be a top guy on a good team (nor should he be expected to be), but he's definitely not the reason we are struggling/losing.

AG is most definitely a better man defender than CV and it’s not that close. But keep thinking otherwise because he makes more steals. Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom