Let the Carousel begin! | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
VN - it may have been part of an article when hired at Marshall, however it got some reactions today.
Yikes.

I'm sure many LV fans will complain initially and then rally around the new coach as they should. The fans will need to be patient and this coach will need to hire a top-shelf assistant or two.

She could end up being really successful but she has a ton of work to do.

Reaction Score
Volnation forum not nearly as upset as I would’ve guessed. Some unhappy; some happy. I was expecting 90/10 against; it’s more like 45/55.

They’re saying that Gottlieb was the top choice but she was committed to all her recruits (7 next fall!) and wasn’t going to leave them. Plus USC was ready to match.

Reaction Score
IMG_6925.jpeg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, context is clearly missing here. As many seem confused and not sure, here is her Wiki profile for you to read

Kim Stephens is her maiden name. Caldwell is her married name. She has been a D1 assistant but more importantly had GREAT SUCCESS at D2 winning a national title. In short, she can actually coach unlike the last 2 HC in Knoxville whom seem challenged with a marker and white board.

Scott Rueck was a D3 coach who won a national title before he got the OSU gig. The key for her will be to hire a quality recruit coordinator and then let the history of Tennessee augment her coaching to bring in recruits via the portal and HS level.

Overall, I am bit surprised but it’s not as egregious as some are making it out to be. If it’s true Lawson and Moren turned the job down, then this is a pretty good contingency plan with high upside and long term potential.

Reaction Score
As a LV fan, very underwhelming hire so
after reflection, much consideration with family and friends, I have decided to enter the fan transfer portal to see what options are available.

My status: 40 year old gay male, travels to 2-4 games per year, and contributes $600-800 in NIL yearly.

To UT players and staff, thank you!

I am entering the portal as no contact since I have a short list already and will be watching closely to see how Kim handles the portal. Thank you so much!

Reaction Score
Hey @LETTERL @MSSportsGuy @OviedoFLHusky - what's the vibe on VolNation?
To me it looks like it's evenly divided between two extremes: those who absolutely love the hire, vs. those who think it's terrible to hire someone with such limited experience to lead such a storied program, and who can't get over the firing of Coach Harper.

There is a thread with literally over 5,000 posts/200 pages which documents the search and possible candidates! But on the hire itself, right now it's only at around 12-15 pages, spread across several threads. So, safe to say there are a LOT of opinions expressed!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
after reflection, much consideration with family and friends, I have decided to enter the fan transfer portal to see what options are available.

My status: 40 year old gay male, travels to 2-4 games per year, and contributes $600-800 in NIL yearly.

I am entering the portal as no contact since I have a short list already and will be watching closely to see how Kim handles the portal. Thank you so much!
As someone who's a near match for your player profile, I'd say there's definitely a welcome place for you at Stanford. What was your undergrad major? GPA? Did you found any world-saving non-profits or now-defunct fraudulent start-ups?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What a head scratcher and on championship day. It's as if they knew this was crazy and wanted to sort of hide it like a Friday afternoon press release.... this would have made more sense if done on April 1.

Reaction Score
It’s a big gamble but it has a lot of upside, especially if UT is trying to keep the cost down or they got turned down by other candidates. Oklahoma hired Sherry Coale from Norman High School and that was pretty successful for a while. This a better than getting an unproven assistant because Caldwell has shown she can win.

Reaction Score
Danny White has never been accused of being conservative in his coaching hires, and for the most part they have worked out. He said he liked the way Kim's teams played...up tempo offense with pressing defense. It certainly will be a culture shock for LV fans but if it succeeds they'll be thrilled. The hire also comes with a budget saving $750,00.00 per year salary

I liked the contract incentive of being paid as much as the highest paid women's coach if she wins a national championship.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Hopefully Duke is on your short list. If it is, it would be good to send Coach Lawson a package of her favorite foods. Beef Ribs, bbq chicken, potato salad, and pound cake. Just send the package to me, and I will make sure Coach Lawson gets it.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Danny White has never been accused of being conservative in his coaching hires, and for the most part they have worked out. He said he liked the way Kim's teams played...up tempo offense with pressing defense. It certainly will be a culture shock for LV fans but if it succeeds they'll be thrilled. The hire also comes with a budget saving $750,00.00 per year salary

I liked the contract incentive of being paid as much as the highest paid women's coach if she wins a national championship.

Who has he hired for the women's programs? Read somewhere that his women's soccer hire (promoting from within) hasn't started out too well.

Reaction Score
Who has he hired for the women's programs? Read somewhere that his women's soccer hire (promoting from within) hasn't started out too well.
What does it matter if it's a men's or women's hire?

Here is a short list of his previous hires:

Bobby Hurley at Buffalo
Lance Liepold at Buffalo
Nate Oates at Buffalo
Scott Frost at UCF
Johnny Dawkins at UCF
Josh Heupel at Tennessee
Katie Abrahamson-Henderson at UCF

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
What does it matter if it's a men's or women's hire? Here is a short list of his previous hires:
Bobby Hurley at Buffalo
Lance Liepold at Buffalo
Nate Oates at Buffalo
Scott Frost at UCF
Johnny Dawkins at UCF
Josh Heupel at Tennessee

Because that's what I asked about specifically.

While Abrahamson won at UCF, she's taking a downturn at Georgia. Some AD's don't put the same effort in their women's sports coaching hires as men's coaching hires. So, sounds like not much juice on hiring head coaches for women's athletics.

Reaction Score
Did anyone watch Monday night's game vs UConn? Geno outcoached Gottlieb right out of the arena, just as I expected. Great recruiter, great person, great mentor, but she's just not good at guiding disciplined offenses, and I suspect even U$C's solid D is more attributable to assistant coach Beth Burns, who's often in the huddle down the stretch.

This tends to be more of a recruiting issue than people want to admit.

You recruit well rounded offenses for the most part.

Reaction Score
Warlick was a great recruiter and came in on the heels of Summit's success. Moreover an "elite" program back then had an easier time winning. No SC, LSU on the down side, and talent is more spread out now. Just look at UConn over the last 6 years - it's a lot harder and more competitive now.
Also UConn is a lot worse than when they were dominating. For various reasons, some beyond anyone's control.

Reaction Score
And the predecessor just won a National Championship with FSU.
Ding!Ding!Ding! UT decided a long time ago that they would only put so much into Women's sports, so budget buys it is!

Reaction Score
What does it matter if it's a men's or women's hire?

Here is a short list of his previous hires:

Bobby Hurley at Buffalo
Lance Liepold at Buffalo
Nate Oates at Buffalo
Scott Frost at UCF
Johnny Dawkins at UCF
Josh Heupel at Tennessee
He also hired Felisha Legette-Jack while at Buffalo and Heupel while at UCF.

The man can clearly make good hires, which makes this Caldwell hire a bit head-scratching. Then again, his women's soccer hire has been rather underwhelming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom