Let the Carousel begin! | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
Hey @Vowelguy i didn’t see this and am not sure where to post so apologies if you don’t want it on this thread but reviewing my Raoul X (formerly Twitter) I noticed he posted 2 days ago that Missouri is going to retain Robin Pingeton for one more year.

What are they thinking? Head bang
If I recall correctly, Missouri has a new AD who started this season and Pingeton has one year left. Could be a matter of the AD is trying to get up to speed here.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm done defending Harper. I just think Miami will make the mistake of hiring someone like Kieger. It will take a miracle for her to do better than Meier.
Probably a good thing not to defend Kellie for a long time: this is becoming the Harper Valley PTA. ;)

I don't think that most posters are arguing that Kieger would be a great hire: it's that Katie Meier knows her well from having her on the Miami staff as an assistant.

What most of us are playing wall ball with is the comparison of Harper vs Meier. Katie could make a compelling stew out of the most interesting, diverse items. And in a one-game tournament, I'm picking her over Harper virtually every time.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
@Plebe and I (and others) would like to audition for the role of dentist.

Hah, hah. Those days are passed my friends. :D

Niele, if I don't mind saying, is too cool for school. :cool:

Reaction Score
Fine, let her pop off and justify this. If things go sideways it's on her and her alone.
To piggy back on this, while we scrutinize Mulkey for how she supported Baylor during their drama, will be interesting to see how she sells this. If the media gives this a pass, it will show me how much mental health and protecting women means to people.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm done defending Harper. I just think Miami will make the mistake of hiring someone like Kieger. It will take a miracle for her to do better than Meier.
Are those the only 2 options? Not sure I would call either a particularly good one.

Reaction Score
Are those the only 2 options? Not sure I would call either a particularly good one.
Nope. Megan Griffith is said to be an option. So was Megan Duffy before she got the Virginia Tech job. Jose Fernandez removed himself from consideration. Some people are saying the FGCU coach (Smesko?) is being considered as well.

Reaction Score
I haven't heard many other names and as has been stated on here most really good coaches are staying put. The best option would have been to give her current assistant a 2-year deal to show whether or not he could handle the job.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I haven't heard many other names and as has been stated on here most really good coaches are staying put. The best option would have been to give her current assistant a 2-year deal to show whether or not he could handle the job.
Assuming the Megan Griffith (Columbia) talks -- if ever, real -- didn't progress far?

Reaction Score
It might be a mistake--it might not. Considering that Kieger was on staff when Miami had its best three-year stretch, maybe that's telling. Can't be pure coincidence.

The fact that you claimed that it would be a "miracle" for Kieger to surpass Katie Meier's success after downplaying said success in favor of Kellie Harper (who did not experience any real success in the ACC at any point in her career) is pretty telling. I don't think you like or respect Katie at all.
You couldn't be more wrong. I know Kate and her wife quite well and believe me she KNOWS how I feel toward her both as a coach and as a person. Your dislike for Harper is obvious and is blinding you to objective facts.

I didn't want her to quit and would have been very happy to have her stay on forever. But she did quit and quite unexpectedly at that. One year removed from an E8 appearance and all but one player returning and a nice class of 4 coming in next year. Lots to look forward to.

But since she is no longer the coach of Miami I have to look objectively at potential replacements. Kieger could not recruit at Penn State and has a 50% win pctg. I think Miami can do better. She was an assistant when Miami had 2 future WNBA players on the team. Just as Kieger isn't the winning coach she was at Marquette Harper isn't the losing coach she was at NC State.

Reaction Score
Assuming the Megan Griffith (Columbia) talks -- if ever, real -- didn't progress far?
She would be "okay" but not an improvement. A 60% win pctg in a small conference which she did not dominate and that with one of the better players the Ivy League has seen for the last few years.

Reaction Score
Assuming he's atoned for prior actions, I guess giving him another chance is ok, however I'll hold judgment until we see how he does, as I am hoping this is not a classic case of rehiring a retread, similar to other sports.
Maybe but I would not want my daughter to go there.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

So let me translate:
I won't listen to any criticism, no matter how reasonable or constructive.
Moral relatavism is convenient for me.
I exercise no discretion in the company I keep and the people I value.
I'm a walking HR/legal nightmare because apparently I don't realize that as a supervisor "see no evil" doesn't cut it as a legal defense when the employees I supervise violate the law.

Cool cool cool.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well well ...
Screenshot 2024-04-03.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You couldn't be more wrong. I know Kate and her wife quite well and believe me she KNOWS how I feel toward her both as a coach and as a person. Your dislike for Harper is obvious and is blinding you to objective facts.

I didn't want her to quit and would have been very happy to have her stay on forever. But she did quit and quite unexpectedly at that. One year removed from an E8 appearance and all but one player returning and a nice class of 4 coming in next year. Lots to look forward to.

But since she is no longer the coach of Miami I have to look objectively at potential replacements. Kieger could not recruit at Penn State and has a 50% win pctg. I think Miami can do better. She was an assistant when Miami had 2 future WNBA players on the team. Just as Kieger isn't the winning coach she was at Marquette Harper isn't the losing coach she was at NC State.
And you're wrong here. I don't dislike Harper, and I'm looking at her situation objectively.

That said, I do believe that she's WCBB's version of being born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She's had better career opportunities than at least 80% of women's college basketball coaches, Kieger included. She simply has not done enough to warrant having another one, especially not so soon.

The facts say that Kellie Harper has been fired from not one but two P5 jobs for failing to maintain certain program-based standards. She's experienced a dip in production at both P5 programs despite having access to the best players/athletes. At NC State, she took a program that was holding steady after a tragic loss and turned it into an ACC basement dweller in just four seasons. At Tennessee, she inherited talent from Holly but could not recruit HS talent. She took over a program (her alma mater, nonetheless) that was supposed to contend for SEC titles year in and year out and turned it into one that doesn't. She coached four WNBA first round picks at Tennessee and has zero SEC titles and zero Final Fours to show for it!

Kieger took over two failing programs (one of them her alma mater and the other a train wreck in the B1G) and was able to establish upward trajectories at both. Yes, it's been a slow build at Penn State and no, her time there cannot be considered a success. But this year was a step in the right direction for a program that was in the toilet when she took over--and she's doing this while not being able to attract the kind of athletes she'd like to coach (the first round WNBA players that Kellie has been able to coach at Tennessee) to Central PA. Kieger might coach two WNBA players between her time at Marquette and Penn State (Hiedeman at Marquette and maybe Kapinus makes it in a couple of years). Kellie coached two first round picks just last year (Rickea and Jordan).

This is not to suggest that Carolyn Kieger is better than Kellie Harper nor am I endorsing her for the Miami job (it should go to the best candidate PERIOD). I'm suggesting that they're not on as different levels as you make them out to be. Kellie's had more and better opportunities than Kieger--yet she's failed at them because she takes them in the wrong direction--downward. Kieger's one P5 opportunity to date has been a slow and ugly grind--but it's gone upward this year.

This is my final post on the matter.

Reaction Score
Cross Yo off the Tennessee coaching candidate list, I guess?
If he had it, I would hope this would make Danny White lose her number pretty fast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom