Let the Carousel begin! | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
When you and your spouse are suddenly unemployed and your accustomed to earning 1mil+ per year - and big time programs that can afford you aren't interested - $$$$ talks.

1) Her buyout is $2.2M, so she's not exactly cash poor.
2) any coach who gets accustomed to their current salary is a fool. I would hope they would be smart enough to realize that the job could end at any moment and they needed to be saving a large chunk of that $ every year.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yo is bringing on Hillsman at Ole Miss?! Standing by for her tweets about culture.
No ceilings! (Or boundaries!)
So Ole Miss isn't concerned about the PR of this? Quentin Hillsman left with a pretty tarnished image at CUSE. Maybe they figure enough time has passed?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, there seems to be a new variation on the Watergate phrase: Follow the money.
In this case, it's Follow the transfers; i.e., Marquette's top two scorers go in the portal and Megan Duffy take the Va. Tech position.

So, what are we to make of this from Talia Goodman?
"BREAKING: Penn State’s Shay Ciezki has entered the transfer portal, a source tells
@TheNextHoops
. Averaged 11.5 ppg as a sophomore."

Could Coach Kieger, whose team just lost to Villanova in their WBIT semifinal, be on her way out the door as well (Miami)?

Reaction Score
The one where P5 conference titles and recent Elite Eight appearances don't matter, apparently.
I love coach Meier but no conference titles and one S16/E8 appearance over 19years. Hosted a regional twice and both times lost to a lower seed.

Reaction Score
I love coach Meier but no conference titles and one S16/E8 appearance over 19years. Hosted a regional twice and both times lost to a lower seed.
Regular season title in 2010-11 and EE just last year (while defeating 1 seed Indiana and a Villanova team that had one of the best scorers in NCAA history). No Rickea Jacksons or Jordan Horstons on last year's Miami team, either.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
And that Elite 8 appearance in 2023 I just mentioned? ;)

Muffet McGraw is on record as saying she'd rather have a root canal than give Katie Meier a few days to prepare a game plan. Never, ever did I sense the Irish worrying about being outscouted by Holly or Kellie.

Reaction Score
1) Her buyout is $2.2M, so she's not exactly cash poor.
2) any coach who gets accustomed to their current salary is a fool. I would hope they would be smart enough to realize that the job could end at any moment and they needed to be saving a large chunk of that $ every year.
How many times have you heard of people who are "rich" later on being broke? Nobody said it was smart but happens all the time. $2 mil doesn't go as far as it used to especially when you have all the costs of relocating.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Her record at NC State was prior to her coaching success at both Missouri State and Tennessee (last 11 years). I agree that she doesn't seem like a Miami person but neither did Meier when she took the job. When you and your spouse are suddenly unemployed and your accustomed to earning 1mil+ per year - and big time programs that can afford you aren't interested - $$$$ talks. As for the FGCU coach that would be a reach I think. Also, pretty sure Miami would prefer a woman for that position.
Her record at Tennessee was similar though not as good as Holly Warlick's, with significantly less success in the Tourney. Consider me unimpressed.

Reaction Score
Well, there seems to be a new variation on the Watergate phrase: Follow the money.
In this case, it's Follow the transfers; i.e., Marquette's top two scorers go in the portal and Megan Duffy take the Va. Tech position.

So, what are we to make of this from Talia Goodman?
"BREAKING: Penn State’s Shay Ciezki has entered the transfer portal, a source tells
@TheNextHoops
. Averaged 11.5 ppg as a sophomore."

Could Coach Kieger, whose team just lost to Villanova in their WBIT semifinal, be on her way out the door as well (Miami)?
If Kapinus hits the portal, then I might believe that Kieger is on her way to Coral Gables. Ciezki is in there now because she's not 5'11 with long arms and quick feet.

Reaction Score
@Rooster C.

Agree. Last I checked, Katie Meier got the Miami Hurricanes to the Elite 8 in 2023, something Coach Harper cannot claim for the Volunteers.
Agreed but Harper had only 9 years at a P5 school. She would have another 9 years to equal Meier. Also, already more S16 appearances than Meier. Again I LOVE Meier but facts are facts.

Reaction Score
Her record at Tennessee was similar though not as good as Holly Warlick's, with significantly less success in the Tourney. Consider me unimpressed.
Warlick was a great recruiter and came in on the heels of Summit's success. Moreover an "elite" program back then had an easier time winning. No SC, LSU on the down side, and talent is more spread out now. Just look at UConn over the last 6 years - it's a lot harder and more competitive now.

Reaction Score
Agreed but Harper had only 9 years at a P5 school. She would have another 9 years to equal Meier. Also, already more S16 appearances than Meier. Again I LOVE Meier but facts are facts.
Tennessee's standard is the Sweet 16 and contention for conference titles, and they're supposed to recruit well enough to accomplish that every single season. They missed it once under Pat Summitt and three times under Holly Warlick (7 seasons). They missed it twice under Kellie and have zero conference titles during her time.

Also, consider this. Name one coach that Kellie Harper had to coach against in the ACC during her time at NC State (which was not considered a success)? I'll start--Katie Meier.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Not a head coach but…

This isn’t a good look

Assuming he's atoned for prior actions, I guess giving him another chance is ok, however I'll hold judgment until we see how he does, as I am hoping this is not a classic case of rehiring a retread, similar to other sports.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Warlick was a great recruiter and came in on the heels of Summit's success. Moreover an "elite" program back then had an easier time winning. No SC, LSU on the down side, and talent is more spread out now. Just look at UConn over the last 6 years - it's a lot harder and more competitive now.
Yes the landscape has changed. But Warlick is generally considered to be a terrible coach who was in over her head, yet she was more successful than Harper.

It really doesn't matter to me. Maybe Miami thinks Harper is their coach. I would expect a very mediocre at best result, but it won't effect me any.

Okay, last thing and then I'll drop it. To me the most telling thing is looking at NC State under Harper and then under Moore. That speaks volumes to me in terms of coaching ability.

Reaction Score
I'm done defending Harper. I just think Miami will make the mistake of hiring someone like Kieger. It will take a miracle for her to do better than Meier.

Reaction Score
Holly was a great recruiter. No argument there. She did get to use that prestige to reel in recruits--that's fair. Maybe she didn't have to contend with South Carolina or LSU, but she did have to deal with Gary Blair and TAMU from 2013 on.

However, Holly was dealt with the unenviable task of having to follow the legendary Pat Summitt. Kellie didn't have such pressure. She didn't immediately follow the late Kay Yow--yet still didn't produce the results necessary to get more time at NC State. She was aware of their standard. She didn't immediately follow the late Pat Summitt--yet still didn't produce the results necessary to get more time at Tennessee. I know darn well that she was aware of the standard at Tennessee.

You cannot be a young up-and-comer in this day and fail to live up to the standard at programs that aren't complete tear-down jobs. Kellie had elite talent at Tennessee and produced not one conference title. Rickea Jackson is considered a lottery pick. If she's selected in the lottery, she'll be the only one who does not have a conference title of any kind--and she had Jordan Horston as a teammate last season. That's on Kellie.

Reaction Score
I'm done defending Harper. I just think Miami will make the mistake of hiring someone like Kieger. It will take a miracle for her to do better than Meier.
It might be a mistake--it might not. Considering that Kieger was on staff when Miami had its best three-year stretch, maybe that's telling. Can't be pure coincidence.

The fact that you claimed that it would be a "miracle" for Kieger to surpass Katie Meier's success after downplaying said success in favor of Kellie Harper (who did not experience any real success in the ACC at any point in her career) is pretty telling. I don't think you like or respect Katie at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom