OT: - Less vs. fewer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Less vs. fewer

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This guy must hate Yoda.
But not Baby Yoda, because everyone likes Baby Yoda.
1576690492412.png

Reaction Score
I had a teacher who would mark your paper if you ever used "that." He said it was a useless word, very is also useless.
I had a teacher that said you should never use "is" or some form of it because it's a waste of space and to write a real sentence. For example if you want to talk about Liz who is a brunette who is eating an apple you would write:

Auburn-haired Liz eats an apple while she enjoys the baseball game.

Reaction Score
I get bugged out by this common screw up that I seem to see more and more these days, using "worse" and "worst" incorrectly. I have no memory of hearing people do this a decade ago, but hear and see it written all the time these days.

Worst is THE worst, it cant get any 'more bad'
Worse is just less good than it was or than what you're comparing to

"Duke fans are the worst!"
"Their pizza has gotten worse over the years"

Reaction Score
I get bugged out by this common screw up that I seem to see more and more these days, using "worse" and "worst" incorrectly. I have no memory of hearing people do this a decade ago, but hear and see it written all the time these days.

That reminds me of "acrossed," which is not a word, in place of "across."

Reaction Score

Worst is superlative
Worse is not

Reaction Score
My bugaboos are "different than" and "between you and I" (or any use of "I" as an object.) Both incorrect usages are today nearly universal, even among professional writers and speakers.

As to "different than," does a man differ than a woman? No, a man differs from a woman. So please don't say a man is different than a woman. It is entirely meaningless and an affront to the ear. (True, the British say a man is different to a woman, but the British have been in decline for some years now.)

As to "between you and I," ask yourself if you would say, "between you, I and the fencepost?" Probably not. Worse is an expression such as, "It was a private disagreement, just between she and I." This sounds so proper and educated as compared to "It was a private disagreement, just between her and me." The sad fact is that the proper use of the objective is so rare these days that it sounds incorrect. You run the risk of being thought a rube by using correct grammar. Sigh.

And don't get me started on the double "is." The fact is is that ..."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I couldn't care less, because if I could care less, I would. However, there are some times where I could care less, but I won't because I have no interest in expending the energy to care less.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
All of the messages above are exactly why I was a math/stats major.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of a joke- guy is going to Boston for 1st time, his friend says while there to get scrod when going out to dinner, explains it’s the local fish specialty. So, dinner time comes and the guy gets into a cab, and he asks the driver “do you know where I can get scrod around here?
The cabbie replies “you know, I must have been asked that question a thousand times, but never before in the pluperfect subjunctive.”

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
All I know is one is less than four.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I know I will get a lot of hate for this, but, given the extent to which this mistake is made on the 'Yard, I felt the need to educate the masses.

"Less" is used when the subject has a magnitude, as in "less scoring". "Fewer" is required when the subject has a quantity, like "fewer three point baskets".

Feel free to ignore me, but it needed to be said.
I think what bothers me the most is that when I try to explain it to people, they just point out all the times the rule is ignored on signs, in public documents, in the media, etc.
Pretty sure it was in the 3rd grade when we learned "Count fewer, measure less."
Five gallons or less, and Five or fewer gallons are both correct. In the first case, you're modifying an amount -five gallons. In the 2nd, you're modifying the number 5.
It doesn't help that the word more is the opposite of both less and fewer.

Now don't get me started on between and among.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I had a teacher that said you should never use "is" or some form of it because it's a waste of space and to write a real sentence. For example if you want to talk about Liz who is a brunette who is eating an apple you would write:

Auburn-haired Liz eats an apple while she enjoys the baseball game.

This is also stupid. “To be” verbs make for functional communication.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I think he was spurned by Marlo Thomas.
Do I get to use:
"OK Boomer"
as a response to this particular post? (Note the lack of the "adjective" Girl!)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom