OT: - Less vs. fewer | The Boneyard

OT: Less vs. fewer

Reaction Score
I know I will get a lot of hate for this, but, given the extent to which this mistake is made on the 'Yard, I felt the need to educate the masses.

"Less" is used when the subject has a magnitude, as in "less scoring". "Fewer" is required when the subject has a quantity, like "fewer three point baskets".

Feel free to ignore me, but it needed to be said.

Reaction Score
What drives me crazy is when people end a sentence with "at", such as "Do you know where it's at?" What's wrong with asking "Do you know where it is?"

Reaction Score
What drives me crazy is when people end a sentence with "at", such as "Do you know where it's at?" What's wrong with asking "Do you know where it is?"
I am also bothered by ending sentences in prepositions, but my sister, who is a writer, convinced me it's not something I should be concerned about.

Reaction Score
Less and fewer are both adjectives. Less modifies singular nouns, fewer modifies plural nouns.

It also depends on if the noun is countable.
Less = Nouns you can not count, such as milk.
Fewer is the opposite.

Hint: Uncountable nouns are always singular so you would use less.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know I will get a lot of hate for this, but, given the extent to which this mistake is made on the 'Yard, I felt the need to educate the masses.

"Less" is used when the subject has a magnitude, as in "less scoring". "Fewer" is required when the subject has a quantity, like "fewer three point baskets".

There are those who refer to "an amount of people" rather than "a number of people."
It brings to mind a volume measurement of people, as though they've been dumped into a mass grave.

And there are those who say "people that" rather than "people who," which is becoming ever more popular.

Reaction Score
There are those who refer to "an amount of people" rather than "a number of people."
It brings to mind a volume measurement of people, as though they've been dumped into a mass grave.

And there are those who say "people that" rather than "people who," which is becoming ever more popular.
I had a teacher who would mark your paper if you ever used "that." He said it was a useless word, very is also useless.

Reaction Score
Less and fewer are both adjectives. Less modifies singular nouns, fewer modifies plural nouns.

It also depends on if the noun is countable.
Less = Nouns you can not count, such as milk.
Fewer is the opposite.

Hint: Uncountable nouns are always singular so you would use less.
Never thought about the singular/plural distinction, but it seems to pass muster. Good call. I always thought of it as magnitude/quantity, which is the same as uncountable/countable.

Reaction Score
I had a teacher who would mark your paper if you ever used "that." He said it was a useless word, very is also useless.
I agree with very.

That has its functions for grammatical purposes.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Had a fine arts professor who wouldn’t let us use “is” in papers.

Reaction Score
My mother always said, "Fewer in number, less in kind" She was taught by the nuns so...

Which reminds me of a recent exchange I had with a clerk at the Price Chopper in Storrs. The sign says, "Fifteen Items or Fewer"

Me: Wow...I suppose its only right that the grocery store closest to a major university use proper grammar on sign like that. You wouldn't believe how many other stores get that wrong.

Clerk: You wouldn't believe how many people, every day, tell me it IS wrong.

Next week we'll discuss affect/effect.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It would be less annoying if you made fewer posts like this.

How did I do?

Reaction Score
What do you guys say when talking about age? Do you say you're 40 years old or you're 40 years of age. It's funny, my dad always said years of age and he got it from his mom.

After my grandma passed away her children were saying it was sad she just missed making it to her 70th birthday, her best friend turned to them and said she just missed her 73rd birthday. She was so vain and weird about her age she shaved off three years of her age when she was younger, I think the only ones who knew were her husband and best friend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom