Legal Advice on a new house | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Legal Advice on a new house

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I apologize for the OT thread, but I’m a first time home owner in need of some advice…

My wife and I closed on the house on 6/4 and immediately got pulled into a dispute between the previous owner and the neighbor.

There’s a retaining wall on one side of the backyard that the neighbor has been complaining about for years and, when they saw the home was for sale, he wrote letters to the previous owners and the realtors selling the property stating that it needed to be fixed and/or disclosed in the sale that the wall was in violation of city code. In addition to the letters, he opened a case with the city of Pittsburgh in which they cited the previous owners for the wall being in disrepair and pieces laying in his yard. The case was closed prior to closing, but the wall was never fixed. The inspector closed the case because neither the previous owner nor the neighbor gave them permission to be on their property to view the wall so they viewed it from the street and closed the case based upon there being no visible pieces laying in his yard but did not inspect the actual condition of the wall. We were given a copy of the case closure prior to closing on the house but within the Seller’s disclosure form, nothing was noted about the wall being an issue or any violations.

The neighbor showed up while we were painting last weekend to complain about the wall and subsequently called the city to inquire why the case was closed. We met with the inspectors this week at which point they agreed that the wall had not been adequately repaired but since they closed the previous case, any new citations would be in our name since we now own the property. The neighbor realizes this is screwing us, but asked that the case be reopened in an effort to try to pressure the previous owners.

As far as things going in our favor, we have the letters the neighbor wrote to the previous owner/realtors asking that the wall be fixed/disclosed prior to sale, a letter from the previous owners to the neighbor stating that money would be allocated during closing to fix the wall (there was no money/mention of this), the Seller’s disclosure where there was no mention of any issue, and the city inspectors who stated they would testify in our favor if we chose to pursue civil action.

Our real estate agent has reached out to the seller’s agent with this information but we have yet to hear back. Assuming they refuse to address this, I wanted to get opinions as to if it is worth it to pursue a civil case against the previous owners?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would tell him to meet you in court. You have all the paper trails in your favor and it’s nobody’s decision except a judge to determine if someone did their job correctly (county assessor). On top of that, title was cleared for the sale, an open case was closed by the county, and the only person not happy with the decision is your neighbor. The process would be long and annoying for him, so I’d make him sweat it.

(your neighbor doesn’t want to go to court)

You are forgetting a couple things. He is the current owner, so he is responsible for any liabilities unless he can go after the former owner.

Legally, this has nothing to do with the neighbor absent damages or an imminent threat.

Lastly, there is a time component here as well. The former case being closed does not mean there cannot be a new offense if the wall is judged to have deteriorated since the last inspection.

This is a guy whining about a "visual nuisance," disguised as an engineering problem.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One word: woodchipper*

*The contents of this post are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The contents of this post, and the posting and viewing of the information within it, should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented in this post may not reflect the most current legal developments. No action should be taken in reliance on the information contained in this post and I disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this post to the fullest extent permitted by law. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues.

Reaction Score
You are forgetting a couple things. He is the current owner, so he is responsible for any liabilities unless he can go after the former owner.

Legally, this has nothing to do with the neighbor absent damages or an imminent threat.

Lastly, there is a time component here as well. The former case being closed does not mean there cannot be a new offense if the wall is judged to have deteriorated since the last inspection.

This is a guy whining about a "visual nuisance," disguised as an engineering problem.
without a doubt. I was assuming the property was not sold " as-is." This would make the former owner responsible, unless you could show further deterioration, which frankly, he doesn't have to do. I absolutely agree the neighbor is disguising the wall as an engineering problem, and unless @Pgh2Storrs wants to have a survey done, there's no need to at this time.

I understand that this takes the position of not being cordial and agreeable with a neighbor you will be with, but this neighbor doesn't get to dictate what you do. He has already contacted the city and is taking action. HE'S A JABRONI and clearly isn't interested in trying to work something out that gets less than exactly what he wants. I'd tell him I'm working to contact the previous seller, but that's as far as I am willing to go to resolve this matter at this time.

On the contrary, I'd love to have my neighbor remove the shed that he has against town ordinance in his backyard, but what am I going to do, become a narc and ruin the relationship?

Sticky situation, but for some reason, I have a feeling this isn't the last time the neighbor will be offering suggestions anyways.

Reaction Score

You guys ARE the annoying neighbor. Everyone adjudicating an ugly cinder block wall in a courtroom is the problem.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Thanks again to everyone for your input/advice. I truly appreciate the direction.

For the time being, we’re going to play this out with our realtor and the seller’s realtor to see where we get. Our new neighbor seems content to allow that to work itself out so, hopefully, we can complete the process of getting ourselves fully moved in over this next week without issue. Again, thank you all very much. This has certainly been a fun “welcome to home ownership” moment

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks again to everyone for your input/advice. I truly appreciate the direction.

For the time being, we’re going to play this out with our realtor and the seller’s realtor to see where we get. Our new neighbor seems content to allow that to work itself out so, hopefully, we can complete the process of getting ourselves fully moved in over this next week without issue. Again, thank you all very much. This has certainly been a fun “welcome to home ownership” moment

I rotated the photo to get a better view. I've never gotten a straight answer as to why the Boneyard rotates portrait photos to landscape.

Are you uphill or downhill from the wall? The wall would seem to be the responsibility of the lower property, not the upper property. But in any event, where is the property line? Is it right on the wall, lower than the wall, higher than the wall? I think that needs to be clear to understand who is responsible for it.

Now the practical, it looks like crap, is possibly dangerous and needs to be fixed. Hope you can get somebody else to at least help fund that.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I rotated the photo to get a better view. I've never gotten a straight answer as to why the Boneyard rotates portrait photos to landscape.

Are you uphill or downhill from the wall? The wall would seem to be the responsibility of the lower property, not the upper property. But in any event, where is the property line? Is it right on the wall, lower than the wall, higher than the wall? I think that needs to be clear to understand who is responsible for it.

Now the practical, it looks like crap, is possibly dangerous and needs to be fixed. Hope you can get somebody else to at least help fund that.

We’re the upper property.

At the bottom of the wall is a concrete base of the initial wall that was built but when they built on top of it, instead of doing it right, they just stacked the blocks which is why they kept falling over. At some point instead of digging back the dirt and building the wall properly, they stacked a new line of blocks in front of the initial base which is what you see now and why it leans/looks awful. Our neighbor claims the property line is roughly where the initial base was built and, by stacking the blocks in front, they built it onto his property.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We’re the upper property.

At the bottom of the wall is a concrete base of the initial wall that was built but when they built on top of it, instead of doing it right, they just stacked the blocks which is why they kept falling over. At some point instead of digging back the dirt and building the wall properly, they stacked a new line of blocks in front of the initial base which is what you see now and why it leans/looks awful. Our neighbor claims the property line is roughly where the initial base was built and, by stacking the blocks in front, they built it onto his property.
What does the survey say? (Haha, that was a Steve Harvey moment) Typically it will identify structures on the line even if you didn't have the line staked. If they are on his property, I wonder how this is your problem?

Reaction Score
In my experience the costs of constructing/replacing a shared fence on a property line are shared by both property owners.

I am also curious if there was a survey performed as a requirement of the sale, which in my experience is generally required, and a copy of which is included in the sales document package.

Last edited:

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
In my experience the costs of constructing/replacing a shared fence on a property line are shared by both property owners.

I am also curious if there was a survey performed as a requirement of the sale, which in my experience is generally required, and a copy of which is included in the sales document package.
To my knowledge one was not conducted, unless it was part of the home inspection that we are not aware of. We’re meeting with our realtor today so I have made a note to bring it up

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
To my knowledge one was not conducted, unless it was part of the home inspection that we are not aware of. We’re meeting with our realtor today so I have made a note to bring it up
Do you have title insurance? If so, it will be in that package.

Reaction Score
View attachment 68104

That’s from above the wall earlier this week
That's not a wall - that's just some block tossed on the ground. Get four buds and a couple of cases of suds and just pick up the block and toss it into the back of a few pickups or rent a dumpster - problem solved. Unless you love the wall and if you do then you've got much larger issues to deal with.

Reaction Score
Aesthetically it’s ugly. Also, it is not really retaining anything, therefore I don’t really think you or your neighbor need to worry about that. Why not just ask the neighbor to split the cost to rebuild the wall or landscape it? Your neighbor gets what he wants and you get a nice looking yard all without having to deal with lawyers and/or the city /county. Feel it’s a win win for everyone.

people are so quick to lawyer up or worry about things that don’t matter. If this was a wall that actually served an engineering purpose I would understand moving in a different direction but this seems it can be resolved relatively easily.

This is the reason why I don’t like living next to anyone .

Reaction Score
Can u get a copy from the City of the original survey, Plat, or subdivision plans?

That "wall" just looks out-of-place with zero structural value or necessity. May I inquire why is the ground is all "turned over" right next to the wall? Was the condition of the wall never discussed during the sale negotiations? (that was not clear to me in your narrative)

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Can u get a copy from the City of the original survey, Plat, or subdivision plans?

That "wall" just looks out-of-place with zero structural value or necessity. May I inquire why is the ground is all "turned over" right next to the wall? Was the condition of the wall never discussed during the sale negotiations? (that was not clear to me in your narrative)

The ground next to the wall was covered in weeds and grass clippings as the previous owners dumped the clippings from the lawn mower in that spot. Our intention is 1. Fix the wall, 2. Put down plastic and do stones/mulch over the area just above the wall, and 3. Put up a fence down that side.

The condition was never discussed or disclosed. We were given notice that a case with the city had been closed in May regarding a dispute between the neighbor and previous owner, but no other details were provided.

The encouraging news is that the previous owners communicated to our realtor that they are willing to “remedy the situation” so I’m hoping that this gets resolved fairly soon/easily.

Reaction Score
The ground next to the wall was covered in weeds and grass clippings as the previous owners dumped the clippings from the lawn mower in that spot. Our intention is 1. Fix the wall, 2. Put down plastic and do stones/mulch over the area just above the wall, and 3. Put up a fence down that side.

The condition was never discussed or disclosed. We were given notice that a case with the city had been closed in May regarding a dispute between the neighbor and previous owner, but no other details were provided.

The encouraging news is that the previous owners communicated to our realtor that they are willing to “remedy the situation” so I’m hoping that this gets resolved fairly soon/easily.
That is good news! Best of luck in getting a quick and peaceful resolution...

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom