Left Behind in Realignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Left Behind in Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
THe lesson?

When you residents of CT vote, and you're concerned about UCONN, make sure your state representatives feel the same way about the state flagship U that you do, especially your state senators.

Reaction Score
I want to be clear on this - for those that don't know. In 1997, after lots of planning and study, UCONN was ready to break ground on a new football stadium ON CAMPUS, located at the north end of campus. It was ready to go, the only thing that needed to happen was for the state senate to approve the last stage of the bonding and funding.

The local townspeople, decided that they didn't like that they weren't consulted on the expansion plans, and felt that their voices hadn't been heard, and that was the grounds by which they weaseled their way into the democratic portion of the senate branch of the CT General Assembly, which was required to achieve a majority vote to approve the stadium to be built - ON CAMPUS.

This was late 1997, going into 1998. John Rowland, declined to put the matter to the vote, after being informed that the democratic senate was going to stand firm against it, all based on the activism of a small group of local townspeople, and the way that the liberal leaning General Assembly worked against the Republican party governor.

None of that, had anything to do with Robert Kraft, and putting a stadium in Hartford - that came later.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
"When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player," Griffin continued. "The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M and Nebraska."

-RGIII on The Rent's game day atmosphere.

Reaction Score

I wonder why that RGIII statement hasn't gotten more of a run from the UCONN Public Relations machine. Thanks for posting it, it was exactly what I thought of when I read this piece from CBS college football analysts.

I wonder if there is anyone in the CT media world that would support us. ESPN owns us for the next 6 years, but they aren't going to do anythign to fluff up the insanely low price they're paying for us. Local media? Anybody willing to take on the CBS syndicated reported? Crickets........

UCONN bloggers of the world unite.

Reaction Score
Here's the full statement, and citation, lazy media folks....

Robert Griffin III:
The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/36/robert-griffin-iii-talks-video-games-draft

Reaction Score

Hey ... that's great.

But, you are playing on an abandoned airfield. We have a wonderful school. But, for most of my lifetime, the CENTER of the Commercial support was a 7/11 on Dog Lane. The OVERALL Rentschler Masterplan needs to be far more vibrant. East Hartford CAN work. It just is a parallel ... at this point ... to Dog Lane. Not very appealing as an overall environment.

And who is going to keep arguing the On-Campus facility? After the State put out $100m and proved that it can work in East Hartford? The On-Campus is a lot of wasted words at this point.

Reaction Score
Hey ... that's great.

But, you are playing on an abandoned airfield. We have a wonderful school. But, for most of my lifetime, the CENTER of the Commercial support was a 7/11 on Dog Lane. The OVERALL Rentschler Masterplan needs to be far more vibrant. East Hartford CAN work. It just is a parallel ... at this point ... to Dog Lane. Not very appealing as an overall environment.

And who is going to keep arguing the On-Campus facility? After the State put out $100m and proved that it can work in East Hartford? The On-Campus is a lot of wasted words at this point.

I agree, I just get annoyed when the concept that putting the stadium in East Hartford was actually the original intent. It was going to be on campus, adn it was going to be BIG stadium. I think it was 65,00 THe political environment of the state, coupled with the activisim of a very small group of the Mansfield area community that put the political workings in motion, stopped it. WOuld it have had problems? WOuld it have worked? Irrelevant, it didn't happen.

The facility in East Hartford works, adn the activism to expand it, should be in motion as I type right now. I truthfully don't know if there is anything happening to move toward expansion. I do know that, as you point out, the surrounding area is moving forward with development, although for the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell they are thinking with the traffic patterns. Hopefully it all comes together well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think there was ever a prayer of getting a stadium built on campus - Mansfield was slamming the breaks on some academic buildings back in those days.

It would have been nice, but so be it. The Rent is pretty nice as well, if a little teeny.

We've heard 50 different reasons why we were left behind - Calhoun, APR, NCAA violations, the lawsuit, game day atmosphere and whatever else.

The bottom line is that Louisville had spent most of the season undefeated and was still in the top 20 when Maryland left the ACC.

Everything went out the window except for that. If Louisville is 4-4 and not 7-1 at that point, we probably go in ahead of them.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The tailgating at the Rent is great. If we got people in the seats for the kickoff and kept them their until the final gun, we'd be in better shape.
I would honestly bribe people. $100 cash on the spot for 10 fans who are in their seats before kickoff. Is that worth $1000 per home game to get more people in their seats? A million times yes.

As for The Rent - I want to see it full and expand. It's just tough in the face of our constant conference demotions to drum up the interest. But, again - winning goes a long way, and more agressive marketing would help.

What I would also like to see, if we could get someone's attention, is instead of moving the West Hartford campus to Hartford - move it to Rentschler. Make it a mini campus, develop a mini Storrs center - do everything you can to make it feel like Storrs. If we can't bring the stadium to campus, bring the campus to the stadium.

Reaction Score
I don't think there was ever a prayer of getting a stadium built on campus - Mansfield was slamming the breaks on some academic buildings back in those days.

It would have been nice, but so be it. The Rent is pretty nice as well, if a little teeny.

We've heard 50 different reasons why we were left behind - Calhoun, APR, NCAA violations, the lawsuit, game day atmosphere and whatever else.

The bottom line is that Louisville had spent most of the season undefeated and was still in the top 20 when Maryland left the ACC.

Everything went out the window except for that. If Louisville is 4-4 and not 7-1 at that point, we probably go in ahead of them.

The only way to move on it, was to keep the local politics in the dark, and to my knowledge, that's exactly what happened. My recollection is that UCONN was ready to break ground on a 65,000 or so football stadium, with all specs and planning in place, adn was waiting for the final vote from teh state senate, on a relatively small amount of state funding (as compared to what eventually went into the Rentschler construction as state funds). The locals did find out what was about to happen though,a nd had a fit, and went straight to the CT general assembly as fast as possible and through legal/political roads, got it stopped due to partisan politics.

THe ultimate irony, in this liberal minded hell hole that our state government has become over the past decades, is that from ALL of the studies done on the CT population, studies etcs - (adn there were many surveys/ etc.) - the majority of the state, including fairfield county WANTED uconn to have an oncampus football facility, adn were in favor of upgrading football. THe majority of people also did NOT want to the facilities and process to be funded by state tax dollars. The oncampus facility that was planned, had very, little state tax money funding coming its' way, it was going to be paid for mostly by UCONN.

What happened, is that a small minority of activist people got a liberal minded elected assembly to go along party lines, because they thought their civil rights were violated by UCONN not consulting them first about building a stadium on campus - and the majority of people in CT, that wanted an oncampus stadium with minimal state tax dollars paying for it - actually ended up getting an off campus facility that was primarly funded by state tax payer dollars.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Stadium size/atmosphere is a lazy argument for why we are where we are. I'll give you lack of history because we've been FBS fir all of 10 fricking years (even if that includes 2 conference championships and a BCS game). But here's your ACC stadium capacity comparison....

BC - 44,500 - +4500 (whoopty doo!)
Wake - 31,590 - -8500 (wha, wha, what?)
Miami - 75,504 - need I get the picture of a typical Miami crowd? Lucky to get close to 40,000
Duke - 33,941 - -6000 (hmmmm)

So shut up pundits with stadium qualms and the ACC. The B1G might care a little more but please stop with this bull$#^t.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure we weren't being considered as a potential replacement for BC, Wake, Miami or Duke so this comparison really doesn't do anyone good. If you want to talk stadium size and attendance, the only relevant comparison is Louisville - 55,000. UConn - 40,000. But as we all know, there are a ton of other reasons that may have contributed to what went down and I honestly don't think stadium capacity was in the Top 10.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Had to log in upon remembering why I ignore this idiot Spackler.

WAAAAAH LIBRUL LIBRUL LIBRUL WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Reaction Score
Had to log in upon remembering why I ignore this idiot Spackler.

WAAAAAH LIBRUL LIBRUL LIBRUL WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

And he's got a s**tload of typos.

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but is there a more obnoxious group of people than the Mansfield residents?

That town gets a s*** ton of money because of UConn, and yet they're always at the forefront trying to kill things - the stadium, new buildings, Spring Weekend, everything.

In their eyes, UConn moved into their neighborhood and not the other way around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They killed a Pfizer cooperative research complex designated for Horsebarn Hill. The locals kept trying all kinds of objections until they finally settled on the fact that there was a decorative part on the barn that was historic. Not the barn itself, mind you, but a decorative piece on it. Take it off stick it in a museum and move on.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We need to expand the Rent, obviously, and build a hoop/hockey arena of at least 20K - hell- 25K , adjacent. We were supposed to piggyback the Pats at Adrien's Landing, but we know that went to sh&t. EH is good with potential. DO IT

Reaction Score
The only way to move on it, was to keep the local politics in the dark, and to my knowledge, that's exactly what happened. My recollection is that UCONN was ready to break ground on a 65,000 or so football stadium, with all specs and planning in place, adn was waiting for the final vote from teh state senate, on a relatively small amount of state funding (as compared to what eventually went into the Rentschler construction as state funds). The locals did find out what was about to happen though,a nd had a fit, and went straight to the CT general assembly as fast as possible and through legal/political roads, got it stopped due to partisan politics.

THe ultimate irony, in this liberal minded hell hole that our state government has become over the past decades, is that from ALL of the studies done on the CT population, studies etcs - (adn there were many surveys/ etc.) - the majority of the state, including fairfield county WANTED uconn to have an oncampus football facility, adn were in favor of upgrading football. THe majority of people also did NOT want to the facilities and process to be funded by state tax dollars. The oncampus facility that was planned, had very, little state tax money funding coming its' way, it was going to be paid for mostly by UCONN.

What happened, is that a small minority of activist people got a liberal minded elected assembly to go along party lines, because they thought their civil rights were violated by UCONN not consulting them first about building a stadium on campus - and the majority of people in CT, that wanted an oncampus stadium with minimal state tax dollars paying for it - actually ended up getting an off campus facility that was primarly funded by state tax payer dollars.

Carl,

The size of the planned stadium for Storrs was in the 40-45,000 range. I attended an unveiling ceremony hosted by Governor Rowland in the mid to late 90's. Everything went down the drain when Barbara Kennelly (sp) came out against the proposed stadium and Rowland lost the support of the legislative democrats for the project. Kennelly was running for governor at the time. The proposed stadium was to be fully funded by the state. I can't imagine where you are getting some of your ideas about the size of the stadium and the manner of the funding.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure we weren't being considered as a potential replacement for BC, Wake, Miami or Duke so this comparison really doesn't do anyone good. If you want to talk stadium size and attendance, the only relevant comparison is Louisville - 55,000. UConn - 40,000. But as we all know, there are a ton of other reasons that may have contributed to what went down and I honestly don't think stadium capacity was in the Top 10.
Wasn't saying we were replacing them so not sure where you're going with that. My point was that claiming we're lacking in "stadium atmosphere" is BS. Especially when it's coming from an ACC person as the CBS article stated. When their own conference has stadiums that are smaller or around our stadium size, that argument holds no water and is just another stupid excuse. It's a lazy argument made by media heads looking for another reason to put down UConn, no matter the sport. It's annoying and frustrating as a fan.

Reaction Score
"It wasn't UConn's Northeast footprint or its 21st national ranking among public universities that lost it. The lack of football tradition and game-day environment at Rentschler Field (capacity 40,000) did, according to an ACC source."

So DJ Dog-Pound really did have something to do with us not getting into a better conference? If he is at the Rent again this year I will loose my . It's embarrassing. Our game-day experience reeks of a minor league baseball game.
They are selling out our traditions such as the Husky mascot for wolves and djs. You are right, it is getting to be like going to a Rock Cat game. Even the cheerleaders have become a joke since the powers that be decided you didn't have to have some gymnastic ability to be on the "cheer squad". They offer nothing now. I'm sure they are good kids and they try, but man, if they put them on the field at Tennessee (where I went to graduate school) they would be booed off the field. No jumps, flips, pyramids, etc. What's the dealio wid' dat? Remember the Husky mascot whipping the crowd into a frenzy by running, diving, and sliding on his belly diagonally across the court in the Civic Center. The fans rallied around that. All the excitement and tradition is gone. It really is pathetic. I don't know as much about the ACC except for Ga. Tech where my brother went, but this bs they have moved towards here would not be tolerated in Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, Athens, Oxford, etc.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
They killed a Pfizer cooperative research complex designated for Horsebarn Hill. The locals kept trying all kinds of objections until they finally settled on the fact that there was a decorative part on the barn that was historic. Not the barn itself, mind you, but a decorative piece on it. Take it off stick it in a museum and move on.
I remember that. I still am surprised/curious as to how UConn got the town to be ok with the UConn Center project. It's really sweet and I wish it was there when I was at school. Just never thought they'd get Mansfield to go for something like that.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Wasn't saying we were replacing them so not sure where you're going with that. My point was that claiming we're lacking in "stadium atmosphere" is BS. Especially when it's coming from an ACC person as the CBS article stated. When their own conference has stadiums that are smaller or around our stadium size, that argument holds no water and is just another stupid excuse. It's a lazy argument made by media heads looking for another reason to put down UConn, no matter the sport. It's annoying and frustrating as a fan.

I'm just saying that when you are deciding between two teams (if it was indeed just two), that the status of your existing members on the criteria being used is irrelevant. I understand the frustration and am with you there but if you are Swofford and you are comparing UConn's stadium and attendance to Louisville's stadium and attendance, it would be pretty accurate to say that UConn didn't have as good of a stadium atmosphere.

If we were able to start from scratch today with everyone being picked by commissioners, would UConn likely be in a "Power" conference? I would think so - maybe even at the expense of someone like a Wake Forest. But unfortunately, we're only a part of the marginal discussion right now which means we need to be better than our competition which right now is Cincinnati and to a lesser extent the other "A" teams in the AAC. Saying we're better or equal to existing "insiders" doesn't help anything and, if anything, distracts from the real competition which are the other teams on the "outside".

Reaction Score
Carl,

The size of the planned stadium for Storrs was in the 40-45,000 range. I attended an unveiling ceremony hosted by Governor Rowland in the mid to late 90's. Everything went down the drain when Barbara Kennelly (sp) came out against the proposed stadium and Rowland lost the support of the legislative democrats for the project. Kennelly was running for governor at the time. The proposed stadium was to be fully funded by the state. I can't imagine where you are getting some of your ideas about the size of the stadium and the manner of the funding.

See, the neat thing about the internet, is maybe if people are motivated enough, and somebody is outrageous enough, they'll actually learn how to do some research by osmosis or something, and learn how to check something as to validity. I just did, but I'm not posting your homework. I mixed up the 65k, with the Hartford facility propose later, involving Kraft. On Campus facility was for 50k capacity. So, I need to correct myself there. Done.

Rentschler field ended up being essentially constructed from the same HOK sport, and local engineering firm blueprints and planning that went into designing the on-campus facility, except it's smaller, and cost the state more tax payer dollars than it would have had it been constructed as planned on campus, using division of athletics revenue streams and internal infrastructure in construction, even though the on campus facility projected cost was higher, than the eventual cost for Rentshcler (106 million to 91 million) .

As for the politics, you basically summed up everything I've been saying, except I also wrote why the democrats made it fall apart and what motivated it. General assembly politics motivated by a Mansfield area residents that tried to stop it locally, but failed and went to the state level. The same partisan politics almost prevented Rentschler from being built, by politicians that didn't give a rats ass either way about having a stadium. It had to be pushed by some people for the entire adriaens landing project to be voted on in a single vote, to get enough yes votes to construct a stadium.

We simply need more politicians in our state government that have the best interests of UCONN on their minds, and I'll leave this at that.

Reaction Score
Not that I disagree with you but, with the exception of Miami, every one of those is on campus. Of course, Miami plays in a pro stadium and, well, it is in Miami and the scenery outside the stadium speaks for itself. The ACC already has 2 or 3 of the smallest BCS stadiums in the country so maybe adding a 4th, located off campus, was a consideration. I know why the Rent in EH, I get that the bonding issue BS and stuff, but Uconn and the state made a significant mistake not having the campus in Storrs.If BC can handle crowds 6-7 times per year on Commonwealth and Beacon, the state and locals could have figured out how to handle getting to and from campus effectively. On campus stadiums are way better than off campus facilities.
ask BC how they are doing with any ability to expand because of the staunch support they get from their neighbors.
Oh, and it's great when you have a game on campus. but is it that great when you park in Needham and take a shuttle to the game?

Reaction Score
One thing, that if anyone actually looks for it, they can find, is that Fairfield county - the ones that supposedly don't care about UCONN or whatever, or aren't being reached - among all the surveys that were done about UCONN football and the upgrade b/w 1996-1998, among the different counties of Connecticut - that while the overwhelming majority of all residents across the state favored an upgrade to football, most people across the state did not favor using tax payer dollars to fund a new stadium.......BUT......Fairfield county had the HIGHEST percentage of residents that were in favor of the upgrade, in favor of having an on campus facility AND in favor of using tax payer dollars for it.

It was the residents in counties east of the CT river, that had the most reservations about upgrading the football program, if you're to trust survey's run by independent sources......

The bottom line, is that the on campus facility didn't happen, and it's not going to. THe EAst Hartford facility has proven to work. The goal now, has to be, to make it bigger and better. It would be nice if the University could just buy out the property from the state, but that's not going to happen either.

Get rid of the damn DJ.

Reaction Score
They are selling out our traditions such as the Husky mascot for wolves and djs. You are right, it is getting to be like going to a Rock Cat game. Even the cheerleaders have become a joke since the powers that be decided you didn't have to have some gymnastic ability to be on the "cheer squad". They offer nothing now. I'm sure they are good kids and they try, but man, if they put them on the field at Tennessee (where I went to graduate school) they would be booed off the field. No jumps, flips, pyramids, etc. What's the dealio wid' dat? Remember the Husky mascot whipping the crowd into a frenzy by running, diving, and sliding on his belly diagonally across the court in the Civic Center. The fans rallied around that. All the excitement and tradition is gone. It really is pathetic. I don't know as much about the ACC except for Ga. Tech where my brother went, but this bs they have moved towards here would not be tolerated in Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, Athens, Oxford, etc.

The dance team is hot, though. Give them that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom