League Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

League Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because they'd rather be in the Big 12 with the remaining Big 12 schools than stick around in the AAC with Tulane and Tulsa?

Then I'm going to assume your original post that said they would take the desirable schools from the ACC was meant to say the AAC

Reaction Score
Then I'm going to assume your original post that said they would take the desirable schools from the ACC was meant to say the AAC

Obviously yes, since I then listed several AAC schools and expounded on it, but thanks for pretending to be confused so you could be a pedant about what was obviously a typo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obviously yes, since I then listed several AAC schools and expounded on it, but thanks for pretending to be confused so you could be a pedant about what was obviously a typo.
Nah, I was confused as well. Not a big deal though.

Reaction Score
Let us take a minute to bow our heads and mumble to to the great GOR....who seems to have been forgotten.

He who mightily smites those who would transgress.

Exit fees? Small change easily dealt with in comparison.

Reaction Score
I just don't think the B12 is or will be stable. Texas has to much power. They are basically the same as ND. Conference killers!!! No matter what happens IMO, the B12 will breakup within 10 years. I think UCONN's best hope is when GOR expires for ACC and the next round of CR takes place. There should be a lot more movement then. In reality, we are not a good fit for B12.

Reaction Score
I just don't think the B12 is or will be stable. Texas has to much power. They are basically the same as ND. Conference killers!!! No matter what happens IMO, the B12 will breakup within 10 years. I think UCONN's best hope is when GOR expires for ACC and the next round of CR takes place. There should be a lot more movement then. In reality, we are not a good fit for B12.
You fail to realize that by the time the ACC GOR expires, without a P5 invite, UConn will have run out of money and it will no longer be an issue and UConn will have totally regressed to being a quaint regional athletic school, rather than the national power that it has become.

Reaction Score
You fail to realize that by the time the ACC GOR expires, without a P5 invite, UConn will have run out of money and it will no longer be an issue and UConn will have totally regressed to being a quaint regional athletic school, rather than the national power that it has become.
That very well be the case. But as our new AD stated, UConn will be a P5 if it is meant to be. Either way, UConn the "University" will continue to thrive and I will continue to go to Bball, football, and hockey games.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
That very well be the case. But as our new AD stated, UConn will be a P5 if it is meant to be. Either way, UConn the "University" will continue to thrive and I will continue to go to Bball, football, and hockey games.
If our AD really said that, we're doomed. We need someone with the grit to at least fight to get us to a P5, not wait and hope for the best.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If our AD really said that, we're doomed. We need someone with the grit to at least fight to get us to a P5, not wait and hope for the best.
Under promise and over deliver!!!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Great, let's fire Benedict and undergo a completely new search process right as expansion is starting to heat up again.

Reaction Score
Stop, nothing our AD says publicly will have any effect on whether UConn is invited into the Big12. Does anyone on this board really think our Athletic Department is not fully engaging behind the scenes?

C'mon look at the way the Cincy President has behaved with the tweets and the public begging? Is that helping Cincy's cause or public image? IMO the only time people in influence make public cases is when they feel they will need to justify a negative outcome later. "I did everything I could...I mean just look at my tweets..."

I know we are all nervous but blaming our AD is neither helpful nor relevant. I mean what is AD Benedict suppose to say... "if UConn does get this one we are dead.." Dignity is never unvalued.

Nobody respects an ass kiss..we're UConn which means we were winning championships while most of the programs in the Big12 were asking UT for autographs and taking selfies with Bevo. We don't need to beg anyone even if we are desperate.

Reaction Score
I was listening to SiriusXM today and there is a lot of talk about B12 expansion. The problem is Texas. They get a larger portion of the TV money. Texas has its own network and the conference doesn't have one. If Oklahoma isn't satisfied soon they are going to leave for the same reason A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska left.

I don't think anyone knows how this is going to end. They were talking about offering FSU, Clemson, BYU, Boise St. If i had to guess I would say that when the music stops, UConn will be the one looking for a chair. I don't have a problem with that because that would mean UConn ends up back in the "Big East" where it belongs.

Big East? Before I reply, was your sarcasm switch in the on position?

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Okay, let's assume for a second that you're right and the Big 12 is doomed, expansion or no expansion, and the P5 becomes the P4 when the Big 12 disappears. In which of the two following scenarios do you think UConn would find itself in a stronger position once that all happens?

1. UConn as a P5 (Big 12) school looking for a spot in the P4, or
2. UConn as a G5 (AAC) school looking for a spot in the P4?

Seems to me like a no-brainer. If you're offered a chair at the big boys' table, you take it. Even if that chair disappears later on, you're in a far better position to find another one if you're already a member of the club than if you're stuck trying to break in from the outside.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Stop, nothing our AD says publicly will have any effect on whether UConn is invited into the Big12. Does anyone on this board really think our Athletic Department is not fully engaging behind the scenes?
Apparently, yes. There are a few who really think that (not necessarily folks who post here a lot).

Reaction Score

You assume too much.

Put it this way: between the ACC and the B12, it is easy to see which of these two conferences will break up. It will be the conference that gets raided by the B1G. AND, there's even an outside shot that the SEC will do some raiding as well.

If the B12 poaches the ACC it is done. And the ACC's leftovers (assume Miami, Clemson and FSU) will start scrambling for spots in the SEC and the B12.

Neither conference is safe.

BUT, assuming that Virginia and North Carolina are more valuable states for a conference to own than Kansas and Oklahoma, I'd be a little more nervous if I were in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Apparently, yes. There are a few who really think that (not necessarily folks who post here a lot).
We already had a "monitor" as an AD and got burned. Don't need another monitor. I do think our current AD is a different type of guy. He may be more mature about this and maybe more knowledgeable about how CR works. His job now, I believe, is to raise money which is badly needed to sustain the athletic budget.

Reaction Score
How UConn continue to thrive athletically when it will be bankrupt? We will be going to basketball games with hardhats at Gampel to keep the roof from falling on our head.

Reaction Score
I was listening to SiriusXM today and there is a lot of talk about B12 expansion. The problem is Texas. They get a larger portion of the TV money. Texas has its own network and the conference doesn't have one. If Oklahoma isn't satisfied soon they are going to leave for the same reason A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska left.

I don't think anyone knows how this is going to end. They were talking about offering FSU, Clemson, BYU, Boise St. If i had to guess I would say that when the music stops, UConn will be the one looking for a chair. I don't have a problem with that because that would mean UConn ends up back in the "Big East" where it belongs.

Mind showing us the invitation the Catholic schools sent us that the Board of Trustees turned down, since that vote would be public? If not, stfu.

Reaction Score
How UConn continue to thrive athletically when it will be bankrupt? We will be going to basketball games with hardhats at Gampel to keep the roof from falling on our head.
I understand some of this out of UCONN'S hands, but the idea of if "it's meant to be", bothers me. People are in charge of UCONN'S ATHLETIC future. I doubt that people like Jericho, or Luck took that approach. I know school presidents ultimately decide this stuff, but those guys were super aggressive. I just feel that both times this opportunity has come up we have gotten caught with a newbie AD, and that isn't exactly a positive for us.

Reaction Score
I understand some of this out of UCONN'S hands, but the idea of if "it's meant to be", bothers me. People are in charge of UCONN'S ATHLETIC future. I doubt that people like Jericho, or Luck took that approach. I know school presidents ultimately decide this stuff, but those guys were super aggressive. I just feel that both times this opportunity has come up we have gotten caught with a newbie AD, and that isn't exactly a positive for us.
TCU's Chris Del Conte.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I blame Hathaway/Pasqualoni more for the Louisville fiasco than I do Manuel. If P had kept the Edsall momentum going instead of lighting a dumpster fire we might have been able to nose ahead of the 'ville

Reaction Score
I blame Hathaway/Pasqualoni more for the Louisville fiasco than I do Manuel. If P had kept the Edsall momentum going instead of lighting a dumpster fire we might have been able to nose ahead of the 'ville

In addition, I believe Manuel is helping us now. He now represents "Big Blue" and as such he has a ton of credibility and gravitas. It can only help us.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Wouldn't BC still have blocked us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc