League Expansion | The Boneyard

League Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Well I think us joining the SEC would never happen, and I've never heard of the Big 9 but I'm all ears.
I think the point was that the SEC expanding would create a domino effect if they target ACC teams, or perhaps Big 10/12.

Reaction Score
I think the point was that the SEC expanding would create a domino effect if they target ACC teams, or perhaps Big 10/12.
Fsu and Clemson would love to get into the sec. Tough with the ACC buyout being 50 (?) million now

Wasn't the big ten eyeing uva and unc at ine point too?

Reaction Score
If UConn ends up in the Big 12, I will be extremely happy, and it will also show for the 500th time how dumb conference realignment is.
Yup. But it puts us into a good spot to apply for grad school (B1G) around 2030 or so. I'd be just fine with that.

Reaction Score
Fsu and Clemson would love to get into the sec. Tough with the ACC buyout being 50 (?) million now

Wasn't the big ten eyeing uva and unc at ine point too?
Nope! That was the SEC as they were also interested in Clemson and FSU.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
UConn must show Big 12 it can bring in TV revenue

UConn has emphasized its proximity to the New York TV market in its public and private push to join the Big 12. Cincinnati touts the fact it’s in the nation’s 36th largest market; the Hartford-New Haven market is 30th without including Fairfield County, which is part of the New York market.

One prominent national pundit doesn’t give UConn much hope. Veteran announcer Tim Brando tweeted that the only school that makes financial sense for the Big 12 is BYU and that “Schools in the AAC had better understand how good they’ve got it. West Virginia was a reach, and Memphis, UCONN, Cinn. are too.”

Brando was active on the Twitter conference expansion front Tuesday. He said a source told him the ACC is close to a conference network deal with ESPN tied to Notre Dame becoming a full member in football. And if that happens, the ACC could expand by one to 16 and become a landing spot for UConn as it has for former Big East members Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Louisville.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

UConn has emphasized its proximity to the New York TV market in its public and private push to join the Big 12. Cincinnati touts the fact it’s in the nation’s 36th largest market; the Hartford-New Haven market is 30th without including Fairfield County, which is part of the New York market.

One prominent national pundit doesn’t give UConn much hope. Veteran announcer Tim Brando tweeted that the only school that makes financial sense for the Big 12 is BYU and that “Schools in the AAC had better understand how good they’ve got it. West Virginia was a reach, and Memphis, UCONN, Cinn. are too.”

Brando was active on the Twitter conference expansion front Tuesday. He said a source told him the ACC is close to a conference network deal with ESPN tied to Notre Dame becoming a full member in football. And if that happens, the ACC could expand by one to 16 and become a landing spot for UConn as it has for former Big East members Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Louisville.
wait this guy's real name is Jerry McGuire???

SHOW HIM THE MONEY @Dooley

Reaction Score
Yea I thought ND wants to remain independent in football. They don't need or want to share that revenue with anyone else. I think for them to become a full member of any conference it is going to have to be proven to them that they can make more money that way.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yea I thought ND wants to remain independent in football. They don't need or want to share that revenue with anyone else. I think for them to become a full member of any conference it is going to have to be proven to them that they can make more money that way.
It would also take the college football playoff not expanding beyond 4 teams in the next decade or so. It will probably stay at 4 teams for the next ~5 years, but beyond that who knows. In any case, there could be other factors in the more immediate future.

Reaction Score
Well I think us joining the SEC would never happen, and I've never heard of the Big 9 but I'm all ears.
We should start a conference called the Big 11. That would fit exactly in the middle of the Big 10/12

Reaction Score
I was listening to SiriusXM today and there is a lot of talk about B12 expansion. The problem is Texas. They get a larger portion of the TV money. Texas has its own network and the conference doesn't have one. If Oklahoma isn't satisfied soon they are going to leave for the same reason A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska left.

I don't think anyone knows how this is going to end. They were talking about offering FSU, Clemson, BYU, Boise St. If i had to guess I would say that when the music stops, UConn will be the one looking for a chair. I don't have a problem with that because that would mean UConn ends up back in the "Big East" where it belongs.

Reaction Score
If the SEC bumps up and adds two more teams they are going to steal them from the ACC. Florida State would jump in a heartbeat. The Big 12 will never get the Texas schools to agree to expansion. Therefore Oklahoma will eventually tell Texas and their disciples to go F themselves and leave for the SEC as well. The Big 10 will not stand still and move up as well. Who do they add? This is where UConn has a chance. I think that Kansas would jump to the Big 10 as well. This will leave the Big 12 and the ACC scrambling to catch up. Eventually, the Big 12 will fold. The PAC 12 grabs four teams.

Reaction Score
I was listening to SiriusXM today and there is a lot of talk about B12 expansion. The problem is Texas. They get a larger portion of the TV money. Texas has its own network and the conference doesn't have one. If Oklahoma isn't satisfied soon they are going to leave for the same reason A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska left.
I think Texas is waiting for this. Then they get to paint OU as the bad guys (I'm assuming OU & OSU would go to the SEC), and clears the path for Texas to join the B1G along with Kansas.

At that point the rest of the Big 12 probably joins the AAC. We'd be in a better version of purgatory (Iowa State, WVU, K-State, Baylor hoops are all nice), but not by all that much.

Reaction Score
I think Texas is waiting for this. Then they get to paint OU as the bad guys (I'm assuming OU & OSU would go to the SEC), and clears the path for Texas to join the B1G along with Kansas.

At that point the rest of the Big 12 probably joins the AAC. We'd be in a better version of purgatory (Iowa State, WVU, K-State, Baylor hoops are all nice), but not by all that much.

We'd be in a much better situation. If the Oklahoma schools, UT, and Kansas all left the Big 12, they'd bring in the desirable schools from the ACC - UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, UCF, and USF, most likely. Cuts out all of the flotsam, and the western division would be Iowa State, K-State, Tech, Baylor, TCU or whatever. Point is, that's a way better league than the one we're in right now.

Reaction Score
We'd be in a much better situation. If the Oklahoma schools, UT, and Kansas all left the Big 12, they'd bring in the desirable schools from the ACC - UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, UCF, and USF, most likely. Cuts out all of the flotsam, and the western division would be Iowa State, K-State, Tech, Baylor, TCU or whatever. Point is, that's a way better league than the one we're in right now.
West
Iowa State
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Houston
SMU

East
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis
USF
UCF
???

Not great, but definitely better.

Reaction Score

Why would the desirable ACC schools want to leave what at that point would be a stable ACC to join the mess that is left of the B12? In your scenario it would be the ACC deciding if there are any desirable B12 to add

Reaction Score
Four power conferences of 18 teams. Two divisions of nine schools. Play each school once in football for eight games. Play all 17 schools once in basketball. Pretty simple isn't it? Oklahoma will follow the path of A&M, Colorado and Nebraska. Texas will wind up being an Independent. We can have fun doing this all day long.

Reaction Score
Why would the desirable ACC schools want to leave what at that point would be a stable ACC to join the mess that is left of the B12? In your scenario it would be the ACC deciding if there are any desirable B12 to add

Because they'd rather be in the Big 12 with the remaining Big 12 schools than stick around in the AAC with Tulane and Tulsa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom