League Championship Series | The Boneyard

League Championship Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although both the Sox and the Cardinals have home field advantage, it seems as if both the Tigers and Dodgers have more talent. The Tigers starting pitching has been sensational. When you add in the bats of Miguel Cabrera, Torii Hunter, Prince Fielder, Johnny Peralta and Victor Martinez, it seem like they should be winning this series. The Sox, on the other hand, have had poor efforts from Buchholz and Jake Peavy. Plus Papi, Victorino, Drew, Middlebrooks are slumping. Yet the Sox lead 3 games to 2.

Over in the National League, the Dodgers may have even better starters than the Tigers and an all-star lineup featuring Adrian Gonzales, Hanley Ramirez, Yasiel Puig and Carl Crawford. Yet they trail the Cardinals 3 games to two with teams heading for St. Louis.

I guess the easy answer is the bullpen. But is there something else? As a Sox fan, I cannot look at this objectively so perhaps someone else has a good explanation.

Reaction Score
The Sox and Tigers are very even. You take out a meatball from Beniot in game 2 and its 3-2 Tigers going to Fenway with the Sox needing to beat this years Cy Young and then one of the two best pitchers in the game.

The bullpen has been the difference, the Sox bullpen has been fantastic and while the Tigers has been fine, it has cost them a game. The shock of the series so far is Lackey out pitching Verlander (Verlander was a great though). While Hunter and Fielder are big names, they have struggled mighty at the plate this serious.

Outside of game 2 where the bullpen cost the game for the tigers, whoever has had the better starter has won that day and it will be the same going forward.

Reaction Score
The Tigers pitching was incredible the first 2 games and while their pitching is good, it isn't as good as they showed. Also (except for Peavy) the Sox pitching has also been very good. The Sox need to win game 6 or they will be the underdogs in game 7 against Verlander. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of runs scored in game 6.

Reaction Score
The Tigers pitching was incredible the first 2 games and while their pitching is good, it isn't as good as they showed. Also (except for Peavy) the Sox pitching has also been very good. The Sox need to win game 6 or they will be the underdogs in game 7 against Verlander. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of runs scored in game 6.

Yeah this.........Sanchez is one of those guys with electric stuff every 5-6 starts. He was nasty the first outing and more normal last night........Fister is similar although maybe more consistent than Sanchez but not as electric on occasion. If you have Smerzer and Verlander going when you need to win 2 those might be the best 2 in the game to do just that. But the Sox bats are waking up a little and what more to awake them even more than Fenway and the fans.......while the Tigers aren't done yet I like your chances to move on the the WS if I were a betting man!

Reaction Score
It is amazing the Tigers built that team with great hitters and starters and basically no bullpen....how can they let that happen?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yasiel Puig should be butchered for his fielding tonight. Wow.

Reaction Score
Yasiel Puig should be butchered for his fielding tonight. Wow.
The Dodgers rushed him to the ML because of his talent. In the 50's or 60's he would still be in the minors working on his skills and learning the game.

Reaction Score
It is amazing the Tigers built that team with great hitters and starters and basically no bullpen....how can they let that happen?

Although I would take Albuquerque any day the rest of them leave a lot to be desired........Smyly is okay but Benoit as your closer leaves you in trouble too often. Which leads to WHY Leyland ever thought of bringing him in vs Pai - numbers or not. I realize he hits lefties real well too but Coke was put on the roster only to waste a spot if he wasn't brought in there.........no matter you are right. They're starting pitching is as good as anyone's 1-5 and they're hitting is real good (not half as good with an unhealthy Cabrera though it shows what he means to this offense) but they continually have awful bullpens, picking up peoples leftovers year after year for the most part.

Reaction Score
The Dodgers rushed him to the ML because of his talent. In the 50's or 60's he would still be in the minors working on his skills and learning the game.

Yeah, rushed to the bigs. Didn't he hit like .380 for the first 3 months of the year? He probably should have stayed in AA and worked on his fielding a little more.

Reaction Score
Yeah, rushed to the bigs. Didn't he hit like .380 for the first 3 months of the year? He probably should have stayed in AA and worked on his fielding a little more.

Have to agree with Deep here......he has some work to do in the OF but he was one of the main reasons they went 41-8 or whatever they did to get themselves to October baseball. He has some issues to deal with mentally in the game as well as defensively but this is a 5 tool guy and if he gets his act together that's a special baseball talent. plus he has a gun out there too which is refreshing to see these days in the OF........

Reaction Score
Although I would take Albuquerque any day the rest of them leave a lot to be desired........Smyly is okay but Benoit as your closer leaves you in trouble too often. Which leads to WHY Leyland ever thought of bringing him in vs Pai - numbers or not. I realize he hits lefties real well too but Coke was put on the roster only to waste a spot if he wasn't brought in there.........no matter you are right. They're starting pitching is as good as anyone's 1-5 and they're hitting is real good (not half as good with an unhealthy Cabrera though it shows what he means to this offense) but they continually have awful bullpens, picking up peoples leftovers year after year for the most part.

Right. And Smyly is really a starter....he will be good someday, I like him a lot....but they put in the pen due to need.

Why wouldn't they have signed Papelbon a couple years ago.

Or do what Tampa did and focus on stocking bunch of very good arms in pen. That is really where Tampa got good when their pen got legit to go along with good starters and starters.

The Tigers are best team I have seen starter and lineup wise (though their D is just average) but their pen sticks out badly and may be among worst few in baseball. And it seems fairly fixable each year. Guys like Uehara are always available if you will spend ten millionish. I would go crazy if a fan of them and seeing that. Unacceptable....

Having said all that...they could still win it. But if they had a pen they would be basically getting ready for St. Louis right now...

Reaction Score
Right. And Smyly is really a starter....he will be good someday, I like him a lot....but they put in the pen due to need.

Why wouldn't they have signed Papelbon a couple years ago.

Or do what Tampa did and focus on stocking bunch of very good arms in pen. That is really where Tampa got good when their pen got legit to go along with good starters and starters.

The Tigers are best team I have seen starter and lineup wise (though their D is just average) but their pen sticks out badly and may be among worst few in baseball. And it seems fairly fixable each year. Guys like Uehara are always available if you will spend ten millionish. I would go crazy if a fan of them and seeing that. Unacceptable....

Having said all that...they could still win it. But if they had a pen they would be basically getting ready for St. Louis right now...

Which tells you your boy Cherrington and his guy Farrell have done wonders with their bullpen.........and as you say therein lies the difference (and an injured Cabrera! lol)

Reaction Score
Have to agree with Deep here......he has some work to do in the OF but he was one of the main reasons they went 41-8 or whatever they did to get themselves to October baseball. He has some issues to deal with mentally in the game as well as defensively but this is a 5 tool guy and if he gets his act together that's a special baseball talent. plus he has a gun out there too which is refreshing to see these days in the OF........
He is a special baseball talent for sure but he needs a lot of work on D, base running and overall play decisions. I'm not saying he shouldn't be with the big club just pointing out that players like him would have been more ready in years past. It is a different game today: bigger, stronger, faster and dumber players.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Dodgers were heading south very fast and the Puig call-up seemed like a no-brainer. He raked in spring training, got off to a hot start in AA and the hype was swelling big time. Defense be damned. He debuted with some amazing assists to 3B. Now we are seeing that he thinks he is invincible and now he is throwing to the wrong place. He is fundamentally behind where he should be by now.

He's still fun to watch. And the fans will now have to wait until next year.

Reaction Score
Which tells you your boy Cherrington and his guy Farrell have done wonders with their bullpen.........and as you say therein lies the difference (and an injured Cabrera! lol)
Actually the Sox bullpen overall is not that strong. Breslow has been solid and Tazawa has been pretty good. But Morales and Workman have been just OK and I would be hesitant to use them in a critical situation. Dempster and Doubront are starters and are unlikely to be used unless there is an extra inning game. What makes the bullpen so good is Koji Uehara. I heard one announcer say that he has had the best season in terms of WHIP than any player in the history of baseball. He is a strike throwing machine and no one seems to be able to hit him. He has been so efficient with his pitches that I wouldn't be surprised to see Farrell use him for two full innings.

It would have been a lot better if they didn't lose three guys to season ending surgery.

Reaction Score
Actually the Sox bullpen overall is not that strong. Breslow has been solid and Tazawa has been pretty good. But Morales and Workman have been just OK and I would be hesitant to use them in a critical situation. Dempster and Doubront are starters and are unlikely to be used unless there is an extra inning game. What makes the bullpen so good is Koji Uehara. I heard one announcer say that he has had the best season in terms of WHIP than any player in the history of baseball. He is a strike throwing machine and no one seems to be able to hit him. He has been so efficient with his pitches that I wouldn't be surprised to see Farrell use him for two full innings.

It would have been a lot better if they didn't lose three guys to season ending surgery.

He has been sensational but a "strike throwing machine" is a bit inaccurate. Actually he has so many baffled with his change of speeds and he's making many swing at so many pitches out of the strike zone it's amazing. Where he has come from has been a great story and certainly a career year. He's a good one - I think there will be a change of philosophy with him but for now the best in the game.

Reaction Score
Yeah Mau but that's what is so brilliant about Koji. He throws so many strikes that I'd say on at least 2/3 of the balls he throws out of the zone the batter swings. Textbook examples are Iglesias last ABs in Game 5 & 6. In Game 5 Koji got down 2-0 which is rare, but then threw 4 straight strikes, a ball and another two straight strikes to get him out. And that 1 ball for every 2 strike ratio is I think below his average based on swings. Game 6; strike looking, foul, foul, foul, BALL, foul, strike swinging (on a ball almost in dirt). 2-5 if you count strike 3 as a 'ball' but the result of 1 ball and 6 strikes is exactly why Koji gets called a strike throwing machine.

Maybe its not exact to call him a strike throwing machine - a strike 'inducing' machine?

FROM GAME SUMMARIES (My memory isn't that good ;)
Strike (looking), A Jackson to second on fielder's indifference, Strike (foul), Foul, Strike (swinging), J Iglesias struck out swinging
Jose Iglesias​
Ball, Ball, Strike (looking), Strike (foul), Foul, Foul, Ball, Foul, J Iglesias popped out to second​

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Andrews: Koji, tell us how you feel.

Koji: Sudamru ki jatusata ko yamaski situ yo matahiruso!

Andrews: You're going to the World Series! Thoughts?

Koji: Uuuurrrr, natiska! Komo taki seru watinaka! (nods twice)

Andrews: (bending over to Koji's kid) So, Koji's kid, what are you feeling?

Koji's kid: Oh my God this is awesome!!!!! Wow, unreal, man!!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah Mau but that's what is so brilliant about Koji. He throws so many strikes that I'd say on at least 2/3 of the balls he throws out of the zone the batter swings. Textbook examples are Iglesias last ABs in Game 5 & 6. In Game 5 Koji got down 2-0 which is rare, but then threw 4 straight strikes, a ball and another two straight strikes to get him out. And that 1 ball for every 2 strike ratio is I think below his average based on swings. Game 6; strike looking, foul, foul, foul, BALL, foul, strike swinging (on a ball almost in dirt). 2-5 if you count strike 3 as a 'ball' but the result of 1 ball and 6 strikes is exactly why Koji gets called a strike throwing machine.

Maybe its not exact to call him a strike throwing machine - a strike 'inducing' machine?

FROM GAME SUMMARIES (My memory isn't that good ;)
Strike (looking), A Jackson to second on fielder's indifference, Strike (foul), Foul, Strike (swinging), J Iglesias struck out swinging
Jose Iglesias​

Ball, Ball, Strike (looking), Strike (foul), Foul, Foul, Ball, Foul, J Iglesias popped out to second​

Yeah but the AREN'T strikes is my point. And as Sox fans I think you understand it's not that hard to get Inglesias to chase!! But he's been easily the most effective close in the game this year and it ain't close........but I think it will change a lot next year after some tape viewing............

Reaction Score
Uehara has been unhittable for the last three years this isn't just a one year thing. The big difference this year is that he's doing it in a closer role and that knock on wood he's been healthy enough to last the whole year.
Although I was suprised how honest he was in the post game saying he was completely wiped out and that during the playoffs he's felt like he was going to throw up because of nerves.
He's thrown more IP this year than any previous year and you can tell by his reaction after game 5's save where he looked like he was going to pass out. The Sox are riding him like they rode Foulke's arm into the ground in 2004. We'll see if his bounce back next year has a similar pattern.. Which would be Ok if he's a ring on that right hand.

Reaction Score
Uehara has been unhittable for the last three years this isn't just a one year thing. The big difference this year is that he's doing it in a closer role and that knock on wood he's been healthy enough to last the whole year.
Although I was suprised how honest he was in the post game saying he was completely wiped out and that during the playoffs he's felt like he was going to throw up because of nerves.
He's thrown more IP this year than any previous year and you can tell by his reaction after game 5's save where he looked like he was going to pass out. The Sox are riding him like they rode Foulke's arm into the ground in 2004. We'll see if his bounce back next year has a similar pattern.. Which would be Ok if he's a ring on that right hand.

Sorry to say he's not Foulke I wished he was.....he's a heckuva lot better which is good for you f'ers!!!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom