Leading Scorer Next Season ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Leading Scorer Next Season ?

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone averages over 15 ppg.

Cole will be around there, Sanogo in the 12-14 range (just because it's harder to get big guys the shots), and then a lot of guys in the 8-10 point range (Jackson, Hawkins, Gaffney, Martin, the SG shooter we bring in).

Reaction Score
I’ll go with Hawkins being an instant impact guy averaging ~14ppg leading the team. We should have a few others just below that range as well like Cole and Sanogo. If healthy I could see Akok being a 10ppg guy too.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone averages over 15 ppg.

Cole will be around there, Sanogo in the 12-14 range (just because it's harder to get big guys the shots), and then a lot of guys in the 8-10 point range (Jackson, Hawkins, Gaffney, Martin, the SG shooter we bring in).
Yeah. I completely agree. Cole and Sanogo will be the most dependable scorers until Hawkins gets comfortable at this level later in the year. Our leading scorer on any night could be any of the guys listed depending on who's hot and who's not. The bad news is that we may have to find out that a couple of guys are cold before one of the others steps up.

Reaction Score
For our best case, it needs to be Martin. May seem improbable but not impossible.
Based on our projection 2 years ago would thought it would be Gaff.
god help us

if i woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet i wouldnt be more surprised than if martin or gaff were leading scorer

Reaction Score
I feel that there is no way a Big is going to lead the team in scoring so that eliminates Sanogo. I would 10x rather have Cole lead in assists than points.
I guess I am hoping for a surprise.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Gaffney either. Kid has MAJOR upside

Been hearing about this potential and upside with Gaffney for 3 years... yet nothing has manifested consistently on the floor after 2 seasons. He needs to drastically improve his handle and his jumper.

He won't start next year and I don't think he'll be among our top 5 scorers, let alone our leading scorer.

Reaction Score

god help us

if i woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet i wouldnt be more surprised than if martin or gaff were leading scorer
We don't have good options for a scorer. Jackson? One of the freshmen. Could be Cole. just don't see someone who going to carry the load. I didn't such Gafd would be that person. Only that 2 years ago we thought much higher of him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I predict that the guy who scores the most will lead the team in scoring. I think that will change game to game. It did this year and next year we are even more balanced. Sanogo should have a chance to be our most consistent scorer, with Cole being next on that list. Several guys could step, I expect and hope Gaffney will.

Edit: Everybody saying Hawkins. I don't expect him to start. Bouk didn't start. The 2-3 position current has Martin, Jackson and Gaffney plus a likely transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
god help us

Well one thing on Martin - we don't have a huge sample size, but I think an argument can be made he doesn't coexist well with ball-dominant players like Bouk. Don't mean this in a negative way towards Bouk, he was clearly the best player on the team and should have had the ball in his hands as much as possible.

A significant portion of Martin's game is taking it to the rim and midrange jumpshots. Same with Bouk. Here is how Martin played with and without Bouknight:

With (14 games): 39% from 2 (44-113), 21% from 3 (6-29)
Without (8 games): 51% from 2 (41-80), 44% from 3 (10-23)

It seems Tyrese Martin benefits when he doesn't play with a ball-dominant guard and instead produces better when he is the "main option" on offense. And we don't have one going into next year. I don't want to insinuate that Martin is going to turn into a highly efficient and elite scorer, but it seems within the realm of possibility that we are too low on him going into next year. If we can land Locke, I think we run out a lineup of Cole, Locke, Hawkins, Martin and Sanogo. I think that can be a dangerous offensive team with the potential to have 4 guys shooting at or near 40% from 3. I still expect 2022 to be a bridge year to a really good 2023 team. But I think I was sleeping on the potential of next year's team - and maybe the Boneyard is too.

Reaction Score
I think that we will have Cole, Gaffney, Jackson, Sanogo and Martin making up James Bouknight's points. I think we will need one of the freshmen to make up points also.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Gaffney either. Kid has MAJOR upside
People are way too down on Gaffney, it’s sort of weird. Or maybe he just flies under the radar.

His talent and potential is so evident. Once he adds an ounce of assertiveness, he’s a high end college guard. He gets caught up in his head too much sometimes. I think that’s a very fixable thing from Soph to Junior year for a guard with that level of talent.

Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s one of our best players next year.

Reaction Score
Do either IW/Tyler Phommachanh return? Would effect my answer.. Let's say no-- I expect balanced scoring 8-14 pts/per game from 5 or 6 guys. Can TM make layups/putbacks? Is AA 100%?

Going contrarian with AJ or a yet to be named member of our roster(transfer). Before you hammer me--Think about how strong of a team that would be by the end of next year.Yes I know how AJ did this year.

I think how DH fills out the remaining 3 or 4 schollys dictates the answer to this question. Am very optimistic about next year's team.

Interesting times we live in.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
god help us

I didn't expect to see a Christmas Vacation reference in this thread. Nicely played.

Reaction Score
Yes. The forum's near-total discounting of our freshmen is extremely encouraging. While the odds say that Hawkins is no Bouknight, his comparative high school numbers argue he could be. That a healthy Hawkins will be our leading scorer in the second half of next year is a bet I'll take.
People discount it because the loons on here have “backup qb syndrome” and think every kid coming in is going to be immediately better than everyone already on the roster. All three kids are uber talented and I’m excited to see them in a husky jersey, but Hawkins is the only one with one or two and done potential (IMO, hope I’m wrong). Would ideally love for freshman to come in as role players and not as the answer to “who is going to be the leading scorer” for a team with aspirations of being ranked/making a decent tournament run. Andre Jackson was and is a freak athlete and it took him awhile to get his legs under him. Bouk is a lottery talent and it took him some time to figure it out. I don’t know the answer to this question but if it’s a freshman then we have another lottery pick or we’re really, really in trouble.

Reaction Score
Been hearing about this potential and upside with Gaffney for 3 years... yet nothing has manifested consistently on the floor after 2 seasons. He needs to drastically improve his handle and his jumper.

He won't start next year and I don't think he'll be among our top 5 scorers, let alone our leading scorer.
Who else is starting at guard besides cole in this lineup?

Reaction Score
Yes. The forum's near-total discounting of our freshmen is extremely encouraging. While the odds say that Hawkins is no Bouknight, his comparative high school numbers argue he could be. That a healthy Hawkins will be our leading scorer in the second half of next year is a bet I'll take.
It’s hard for many of us who haven’t seen these players to know what their capabilities are. We need a dynamic scorer or 2.

Reaction Score
No I don't and that's my point. If it is either Cole or Sanogo, we will be in for a difficult season. If we had a couple of other guys who could average 10 or 12 a game, it would give us more balanced scoring, but I honestly don't see that unless one of the newbies can step up.
Worrisome

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Worrisome
I think our scoring is going to be spread around. We may not have a 'go to guy' per se, but we have a lot of guys who are talented enough to average in double figures.

You're right, though, it is worrisome.

Reaction Score
H
Too early to speculate, but if either is our leading scorer, I'm worried. Cole is not a primary scorer and even if he moves to the 2, I can't see him being the leading scorer. He hasn't shown that consistency IMO. I believe Sanogo will be much improved, but having a 5 as our leading scorer means our wings and guards either aren't capable of scoring at that clip or we become too dependent on feeding the post and fall into a methodical slow game which is an indication that our wings and guards aren't capable of scoring consistently.
Cole was the most consistent after Bouk. We do not have any other options unless a newcomer exceeds expectations, a current player improves or we get a transfer that takes over

Reaction Score
With Bouk headed to the NBA, I'm curious as to who will lead the team in scoring next season. My guess is that it will be Cole, followed by Sanogo. Thoughts?
Do not care. Hate the focus on individual stats.

Reaction Score
Too early to speculate, but if either is our leading scorer, I'm worried. Cole is not a primary scorer and even if he moves to the 2, I can't see him being the leading scorer. He hasn't shown that consistency IMO. I believe Sanogo will be much improved, but having a 5 as our leading scorer means our wings and guards either aren't capable of scoring at that clip or we become too dependent on feeding the post and fall into a methodical slow game which is an indication that our wings and guards aren't capable of scoring consistently.
GAFFNEY will be improved. So will JACKSON. HAWKINS and DIGGINS will live up to top 50 billing.
POLLEY and WHALEY return. We have a fighting chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom