Leading Scorer Next Season ? | The Boneyard

Leading Scorer Next Season ?

Reaction Score
With Bouk headed to the NBA, I'm curious as to who will lead the team in scoring next season. My guess is that it will be Cole, followed by Sanogo. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Too early to speculate, but if either is our leading scorer, I'm worried. Cole is not a primary scorer and even if he moves to the 2, I can't see him being the leading scorer. He hasn't shown that consistency IMO. I believe Sanogo will be much improved, but having a 5 as our leading scorer means our wings and guards either aren't capable of scoring at that clip or we become too dependent on feeding the post and fall into a methodical slow game which is an indication that our wings and guards aren't capable of scoring consistently.

Reaction Score
Too early to speculate, but if either is our leading scorer, I'm worried. Cole is not a primary scorer and even if he moves to the 2, I can't see him being the leading scorer. He hasn't shown that consistency IMO. I believe Sanogo will be much improved, but having a 5 as our leading scorer means our wings and guards either aren't capable of scoring at that clip or we become too dependent on feeding the post and fall into a methodical slow game which is an indication that our wings and guards aren't capable of scoring consistently.
While the points you raise are interesting, do you have a better guess than Cole? Not trying to be a wiseass, honest question.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Cole. Even with Bouk this year being "the guy", I felt like it was Coles job to be the leader / set the tone of toughness for the team.

Now, I don't think he (or anyone) is going to replace Bouk's 20 per game. But 17 per game to lead a balanced offense would be perfect and 100% doable. A knock on him coming in was that he was a volume scorer. He found something the second half of last season with his 3 point shot, mid range jumper and better ability to finish at the rim. I'm expecting Ryan Boatright numbers next season (17.4ppg/3.8ast/4reb/1.4stl/42%fg/41%3fg). With Sanogo and offensive improvements (even marginal) from Martin, Jackson, Akok and Gaffney and offensive contributions from the 2 freshman guards, I'm optimistic about the team's offensive capabilities next year.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be worried at all if Cole is our leading scorer. Can easily see him averaging 15 or 16 points, with a number of other guys in the lower double digits (Sanogo, Martin, Hawkins). Ultimately I think we'll have a more balanced attack next season. Obviously I'd take Bouk back in a millisecond, but we certainly struggled at times generating offense without him.

Reaction Score
For our best case, it needs to be Martin. May seem improbable but not impossible.

He's got to put in a lot of work this off season to achieve this, but he has something to work with.

Reaction Score
Cole. Even with Bouk this year being "the guy", I felt like it was Coles job to be the leader / set the tone of toughness for the team.

Now, I don't think he (or anyone) is going to replace Bouk's 20 per game. But 17 per game to lead a balanced offense would be perfect and 100% doable. A knock on him coming in was that he was a volume scorer. He found something the second half of last season with his 3 point shot, mid range jumper and better ability to finish at the rim. I'm expecting Ryan Boatright numbers next season (17.4ppg/3.8ast/4reb/1.4stl/42%fg/41%3fg). With Sanogo and offensive improvements (even marginal) from Martin, Jackson, Akok and Gaffney and offensive contributions from the 2 freshman guards, I'm optimistic about the team's offensive capabilities next year.
Plus. 20 a game is quite the rare get in a Uconn uniform I think. How many have we had? 8? ( here comes a list of 49 and proof of at least one a year as a standard......)

Reaction Score
Cole. But I could see Sanogo averaging around 14-16ppg and leading us, too. Not sure we’re after him but if we landed Tre Mitchell he’d be our leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Hmm, good question. It could be Cole but that probably means not a good year for us.

Martin? But a more even spread amongst our top 3 or 4.

Based on our projection 2 years ago would thought it would be Gaff.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Sanogo, it will mean he's staying out of foul trouble. People should look at Cole's stats and efficiency in the games we played against NCAA tournament teams. They are....not good.

Reaction Score
I also expect it to be Cole, and that doesn't necessarily bode well.

Jackson hasn't shown himself to be much of a scorer. Sanogo is talented but a back to the basket big can only do so much. Martin is a good glue guy but can be ice cold from the field. Akok is similar -- makes his presence known on the court, but doesn't put it in the basket enough. Gaffney has talent but doesn't look for his offense enough.

I don't think the freshmen will be up to speed quickly.

So that leaves it with Cole by default.

It's rarely good when your point guard is your leading scorer, unless they're an exceptional talent like Kemba or Shabazz (or Paige Bueckers on the women's side).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
With Bouk headed to the NBA, I'm curious as to who will lead the team in scoring next season. My guess is that it will be Cole, followed by Sanogo. Thoughts?

Polley,

Reaction Score

Hopefully one of the transfers we pick up will be the leading scorer

Reaction Score
While the points you raise are interesting, do you have a better guess than Cole? Not trying to be a wiseass, honest question.

No I don't and that's my point. If it is either Cole or Sanogo, we will be in for a difficult season. If we had a couple of other guys who could average 10 or 12 a game, it would give us more balanced scoring, but I honestly don't see that unless one of the newbies can step up.

Reaction Score
anyone else think that an empowered, improved, and aggressive gaffney could have a shot at it? maybe it's just because the last thing i saw from uconn was him driving to the hoop relentlessly against maryland...

Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins. I think Sanogo. Hawkins, Cole and Martin all average double figures.
Yes. The forum's near-total discounting of our freshmen is extremely encouraging. While the odds say that Hawkins is no Bouknight, his comparative high school numbers argue he could be. That a healthy Hawkins will be our leading scorer in the second half of next year is a bet I'll take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom