Lead Editorial in Today's Globe. Shot at UConn and Syracuse. | The Boneyard

Lead Editorial in Today's Globe. Shot at UConn and Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BC is pure? Seems to me there have been two gambling scandals and the night school academic scandal in last 30 odd years. There was the basketball point shaving incident in 1978 - 1979 and there was the football betting scandal in which a number of football players bet against BC in their game with Syracuse in 1996. The night school scandal was outed by one of the basketball players, Martin Clark, who quit the basketball team in protest. Basically, academically challenged athletes, both football and basketball, were allowed to enroll in BC's night school to maintain eligibility. This occurred in the early 90s.

Reaction Score
They are the most sullied at this point. Too many fallacies in that piece than are worth noting.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
They can always join up with the Patriot League with true rival Holy Cross.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
right, because the ACC is a bastion of good guys. 1/2 the friggin conference is on probation, but we're the bad apples. Got it.

Reaction Score
This is the lead editorial on today's Boston Globe Editorial Page. Not sure if the link will work unless you create an ID. Seems that the Globe is going after the University of Connecticut on some level on behalf of it's client, Boston College. Must be a lot of BC alums buying ads from the failing Globe,
because I've never seen the Globe with a lead editorial on college sports.

(By the way, we, as well as Syracuse, are the ones with "less integrity. BC is the paragon of virtue.)

The title: "College sports realignment offers more money, less integrity."

A few excerpts.

"BOSTON COLLEGE is one of the rare universities that competes on the highest level in sports while still ensuring that its players live up to both words in the phrase “student-athlete.’’.....

"In this challenging environment, BC should do all it can to persuade other schools that academic achievement matters as much as athletic success."....
"The Atlantic Coast Conference, which Boston College currently competes in, is one of the least sullied of the six major conferences. It includes Duke University and Wake Forest University, which have maintained programs with high graduation rates. This is not to say that the ACC is a purist’s wonderland - it does have the scandal-tainted University of Miami as a member - but it is not considered as rife with corruption as other major conferences. But with ACC expansion, Boston College will now have to compete against schools like Syracuse University, whose basketball team is known for its low graduation rates.".....

"BC may have to face the University of Connecticut, which is hoping to join the ACC, as well. UConn won the 2011 men’s basketball championship while under probation for major NCAA recruiting violations."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...ss-integrity/KNpm0pHYNsnf0ordYtpmzK/story.xml

Wow. What's that about? Look at the programs under investigation/probation now or recently. FSU lost about 15 football wins a couple of years ago. North Carolina being investigated, players suspended. Miami right now. What is the Globe talking about? Basketball?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow. What's that about? Look at the programs under investigation/probation now or recently. FSU lost about 15 football wins a couple of years ago. North Carolina being investigated, players suspended. Miami right now. What is the Globe talking about? Basketball?

Some big violations on the list below, some small but the point is that it's difficult to find a school without a blemish on its record, despite the Globe's condescending op ed piece. And, BTW, the two least penalized conferences are the ACC and the Big East.

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia
VA Tech

A quarter of Swofford's ACC schools are mired in NCAA troubles.

Swofford: NCAA probes around ACC 'disappointing', Aug. 23, 2011

NCAA Violation 2011: NC schools have a history

Reaction Score
What's going to happen, I think, if it's not already happening, is that DeFillippo and BC athletics are going to start looking pretty childlish and frankly cowardly fearful of the natural rivalry that should be in place in athletics to the powers that be in the ACC.

And when that happens, AND BC isn't generating the market share that the television companies want in the northeast?

That kind of thing isn't going to garner respect from the other conference fellows that BC has in the ACC, and if the market share fails in the northeast, they (BC management) will have to answer as to why they don't want the rivalrly.

I would love to see some kind of actual nielsen/ratings breakdown of uconn athletics vs. bc athletics broadcasting in the past decade.

I don't know what the results would look like, but i find it very hard to believe that BC generates more points than UConn when it comes to television sets, and I guarantee that a regular football contest between the two programs is a cash and broadcasting gold mine.

I also don't believe that syracuse/pitt/bc is going to do anything to get more television sets in the northeast, and it certainly isn't going to generate viewers south of mason-dixon.

All we can do is continue to win games, win championships in all our sports, and generate more and more viewership and fans,

and let the natural evolution of things and time point out how foolish and childish BC leadership appears to be.

Because the bottom line, is that renewing the UConn-BC rivalry in all sports, would benefit Boston College immensely, much more so, than attempting to damage UConn is going to benefit them.

Reaction Score
What's going to happen, I think, if it's not already happening, is that DeFillippo and BC athletics are going to start looking pretty childlish and frankly cowardly fearful of the natural rivalry that should be in place in athletics to the powers that be in the ACC.

And when that happens, AND BC isn't generating the market share that the television companies want in the northeast?

That kind of thing isn't going to garner respect from the other conference fellows that BC has in the ACC, and if the market share fails in the northeast, they (BC management) will have to answer as to why they don't want the rivalrly.

I would love to see some kind of actual nielsen/ratings breakdown of uconn athletics vs. bc athletics broadcasting in the past decade.

I don't know what the results would look like, but i find it very hard to believe that BC generates more points than UConn when it comes to television sets, and I guarantee that a regular football contest between the two programs is a cash and broadcasting gold mine.

I also don't believe that syracuse/pitt/bc is going to do anything to get more television sets in the northeast, and it certainly isn't going to generate viewers south of mason-dixon.

All we can do is continue to win games, win championships in all our sports, and generate more and more viewership and fans,

and let the natural evolution of things and time point out how foolish and childish BC leadership appears to be.

Because the bottom line, is that renewing the UConn-BC rivalry in all sports, would benefit Boston College immensely, much more so, than attempting to damage UConn is going to benefit them.
North Carolina, Duke, and NC State are all about 20 miles from each other. I get the turf argument, but evidently they don't. Just silly.

Reaction Score
North Carolina, Duke, and NC State are all about 20 miles from each other. I get the turf argument, but evidently they don't. Just silly.

I don't understand? I think the "turf" argument by Defillippo is idiotic, and I think that the people at schools like North Carolina, Duke, Wake, NC State, and the like that are all recruiting and competing with each other, and have great rivalrly look at something like was Defillippo put on there in a major paper as cowardly and stupid.

If the reports are accurate, the ACC wanted UConn. The people that wanted UConn needed to listen to BC leadership nix what is clearly the best financial interest for everyone because they want the northeast to be their turf?

Umm - newsflash, burying your head in the sand and wishing for something, doesn't make it happen.

BC is not making the northeast their turf, without competing against UConn.

How the people at BC cannot see this, is beyond me.

Reaction Score
This is the lead editorial on today's Boston Globe Editorial Page. Not sure if the link will work unless you create an ID. Seems that the Globe is going after the University of Connecticut on some level on behalf of it's client, Boston College. Must be a lot of BC alums buying ads from the failing Globe,

(By the way, we, as well as Syracuse, are the ones with "less integrity. BC is the paragon of virtue.)

A few excerpts.

"BOSTON COLLEGE is one of the rare universities that competes on the highest level in sports while still ensuring that its players live up to both words in the phrase “student-athlete.’’.....

"In this challenging environment, BC should do all it can to persuade other schools that academic achievement matters as much as athletic success."....
"The Atlantic Coast Conference, which Boston College currently competes in, is one of the least sullied of the six major conferences. It includes Duke University and Wake Forest University, which have maintained programs with high graduation rates. This is not to say that the ACC is a purist’s wonderland - it does have the scandal-tainted University of Miami as a member - but it is not considered as rife with corruption as other major conferences. But with ACC expansion, Boston College will now have to compete against schools like Syracuse University, whose basketball team is known for its low graduation rates.".....

"BC may have to face the University of Connecticut, which is hoping to join the ACC, as well. UConn won the 2011 men’s basketball championship while under probation for major NCAA recruiting violations."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...ss-integrity/KNpm0pHYNsnf0ordYtpmzK/story.xml
Talk about hubris...

Reaction Score
As has been said, this is childish and spiteful behavior from the miscreants in Boston. It is in BC's best interests to have UConn included in the ACC. They need a natural geographic rival. Cuse and Pitt won't cut it. Unfortunately, until Flipper and Leahy are gone, they will continue down this path. This would be good for BC and maybe the only thing to stop the death spiral they are in athletically speaking.

Leahy and Flipper aren't too bright.

Reaction Score
What we need to do as an athletic department and school is continue to maintain our best interests, and continue to win. The relationship we have with SNY broadcasting is huge.

As long as the Mets continue to play baseball, and that's not changing, that network will have viewership, and they are growing with UConn as a broadcasting material hub.

I know there was a clusterduck earlier this season with the Buffalo game, that will hopefully never happen again, and I hope enough people made noise about it too.

But SNY did add another feed into CT just this year, and I was just reading thaton SNY last year UConn basketball games generated an average 5.0 rating in the Hartford/NH dma and football generated a 2.6 average, with the Cincy game being a 6.1, which is proof positive, that football and wins will generate viewership. got to win games. That's just over 1.1 million television sets total, and means that uconn football averaged about 30,000 television sets for the year with a high of about 67,000 sets. Basketball was drawing 55,000 sets on average with a max of 78,000. When you figure that at most 16k people can actually attend a basketball game, while we're at about 36k average attendance at Rentschlere, the number of actual eyeballs watching uconn football and basketball are approximately the same, and if we continue to win football games, and you know - actually put the games on TV? only going to go up.

I can't find anything on Boston College television shares in their demographic.

As long as we continue to grow our broadcasting network and partner, we're going to be just fine, and a very desireable product out there on the shelf.

I think what BC needs to really be concerned about, is at what point, UConn becomes more valueable to an organization like the ACC, than they themselves are.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/08/29/Media/SNY.aspx

Reaction Score

A few excerpts.

Being UCONN is one thing in this mess but just imagine being UMASS. Did BC ever play UMASS in bball back during the Calipari/Camby days, or did they snub them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom